Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

frozentreasure posted:

Samson C01U is definitely good; I got a $15 desk-mounted boom arm for it that holds it fine and saves on space. You don't really need a pop filter that badly for them.

A bit belated on my part, but thanks for the reply! I ended up going with the Yeti, it's $90 right now on amazon prime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Zack Ater posted:

A bit belated on my part, but thanks for the reply! I ended up going with the Yeti, it's $90 right now on amazon prime.
I've found the Snowball to be a better and more economical option than the Yeti: http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Microphones-Snowball-Microphone-Textured/dp/B000EOPQ7E

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
I found the snowball to be quite bad comparatively but I have an older model of Snowball.

Has anyone tried that Razer Seiren mic yet? I haven't bought it because the Yeti is still working fine and I refuse to buy something labelled as "By Gamers For Gamers". I know the Mega64 podcast has started using them but I was wondering if anyone with a less chaotic setup has given that thing a try yet.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
As a Razer brand audio product I can guarantee personally without even having used it that it will be 100% overpriced and 50% of the quality advertised and will have a 5% chance of irreversibly breaking every time you use it.

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008

toddy. posted:

I found the snowball to be quite bad comparatively but I have an older model of Snowball.

Has anyone tried that Razer Seiren mic yet? I haven't bought it because the Yeti is still working fine and I refuse to buy something labelled as "By Gamers For Gamers". I know the Mega64 podcast has started using them but I was wondering if anyone with a less chaotic setup has given that thing a try yet.

Here is a review with downloadable audio samples https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lF0OdRWMJYg

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

CJacobs posted:

As a Razer brand audio product I can guarantee personally without even having used it that it will be 100% overpriced and 50% of the quality advertised and will have a 5% chance of irreversibly breaking every time you use it.

I had a razer mousepad and keyboard and can confirm this extends to non-audio products.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I just attempted to record some System Shock 2 gameplay using OBS and while it records the sound fine, it's just giving me a black screen if I use game capture and if I use monitor capture, it records a frozen image of my Steam library (presumably the last frame before the game started).

I can record general desktop use fine, and had no problems with ePSXe.

Is the fault with System Shock 2 itself or...?

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!
That means you have HUGE ESSENCE!

RIP AND TEAR YOUR ESSENCE!!

VagueRant posted:

I just attempted to record some System Shock 2 gameplay using OBS and while it records the sound fine, it's just giving me a black screen if I use game capture and if I use monitor capture, it records a frozen image of my Steam library (presumably the last frame before the game started).

I can record general desktop use fine, and had no problems with ePSXe.

Is the fault with System Shock 2 itself or...?
Sounds close to the issue I had with direct game capture in OBS for the longest time. I always ended up only recording stuff that could be played in a window because window capture worked flawlessly with little resources taken up. Did you try setting up a hotkey in the game capture window? Pressing it when you have the game on screen I found actually worked as opposed to manually selecting the application beforehand.

Though I have not tried it with System Shock 2 to know if there could be any other issue that's specific to that game, but it should work for all games fullscreen if you do that.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Well, because "window capture" kept coming up from you and other people as A Thing, I found a way to force SS2 into a sort of windowed mode (because of course it doesn't have the option in the options) by modifying a config file and now I CAN record it in monitor or window capture.

So that's weird! But problem solved, I guess.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
really old games kinda just do weird poo poo like that sometimes.

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

They've planted corn everywhere.

Soiled Meat
So now trying to process any video in megui gives me this result:

No settings were changed between videos, so I am lost as to what is causing this.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
So, I have been making test recordings from an old Atari ST game I wanted to make an LP of, but the game tends to crash quite often. And when it crashes, it generally takes the emulator and even the recording with it. Right now I have 3 GB of unreadable .avi because of this.

Is there an easy way to try and repair the broken video file, or am I better of just recording more carefully in the future?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Heavy Sigh posted:

So now trying to process any video in megui gives me this result:

No settings were changed between videos, so I am lost as to what is causing this.

I usually have luck bypassing that by adding ConvertToYV12 to my avs script.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Libluini posted:

So, I have been making test recordings from an old Atari ST game I wanted to make an LP of, but the game tends to crash quite often. And when it crashes, it generally takes the emulator and even the recording with it. Right now I have 3 GB of unreadable .avi because of this.

Is there an easy way to try and repair the broken video file, or am I better of just recording more carefully in the future?

If you open the avi files directly in VirtualDub it can usually do a pretty good job at repairing them.

When you load a broken AVI file it'll do an indexing pass, and you can then set both video and audio to Direct Stream Copy and save a new, fixed file.

The thing is that AVI keeps an index into the file at the end, so if the writing program doesn't finish off the file correctly, most software won't know how to read it. But all the encoded frames will be there.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

nielsm posted:

If you open the avi files directly in VirtualDub it can usually do a pretty good job at repairing them.

When you load a broken AVI file it'll do an indexing pass, and you can then set both video and audio to Direct Stream Copy and save a new, fixed file.

The thing is that AVI keeps an index into the file at the end, so if the writing program doesn't finish off the file correctly, most software won't know how to read it. But all the encoded frames will be there.

Hey, thanks! I even have that program. Next time this happens, I'll try this! (This time I just re-recorded everything, since I only lost a couple minutes.)

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Hey there, so mikeycp and me are trying to record a thing, using Skype, OBS, Audacity and then the game, Digimon World: Redigitize. We are recording game audio from the game itself, and then microphones as our own separate Audacity files. We are using Voicemeeter to separate all of our audios out, so that when we record we only pick our own voices in the recording, and OBS only picks up the game. That all works fine, and I only really included it so you knew what setup we were using.

The issue is that when recording, every five mins or so the audio will suddenly go crackly on my end (I am the one recording game footage). This will not appear in the video recording, but it appears in the Audacity recording. Does anybody know what will be causing this?

My suspicion list includes: Audacity settings which I might not understand. OBS custom x264 encoding settings perhaps using too much CPU (currently set to 19, so not too intensive). Perhaps it is Voicemeeter, but I don't think it is because it is fine most of the time.

Any suggestions on what it could be, and how to fix it??

Darth Numbers
May 7, 2015
EDIT: DON'T MIND ME I'M DUMB

I was clicking upload without selecting a file to upload. That's what not getting any sleep will do to ya'! Nothing to see here, move along, I'm stupid.

Darth Numbers fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jul 21, 2015

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Darth Numbers posted:

Hey guys-- I just tried uploading something to LPix by hand (IE not with rightload) and it just says "Error uploading file", before it gives me a chance to even choose a file to upload. It does this across multiple computers, have I hit my upload limit or some business?
Thanks!
How big is the file? Usually when there is an error it'll say why. And I just tried uploading a file and it worked fine.

Darth Numbers
May 7, 2015

Niggurath posted:

How big is the file? Usually when there is an error it'll say why. And I just tried uploading a file and it worked fine.

Yeah I was literally pressing upload without selecting a file. For some reason, I thought clicking upload brought up the "select a file" dialogue, and was very confused. Not sure why I thought this, I swear I've used this site before. my bad ^^;;;

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012

Another Person posted:

My suspicion list includes: Audacity settings which I might not understand. OBS custom x264 encoding settings perhaps using too much CPU (currently set to 19, so not too intensive). Perhaps it is Voicemeeter, but I don't think it is because it is fine most of the time.

Any suggestions on what it could be, and how to fix it??

Have you tried recording something that isn't a game? If the problem occurs with something that doesn't use much cpu you could rule that out at least.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Junkozeyne posted:

Have you tried recording something that isn't a game? If the problem occurs with something that doesn't use much cpu you could rule that out at least.

I tried recording again without using custom x264 settings, and it seemed to go through fine, which leads me to believe my suspicion was correct. Thanks for the response though, I'll try that in the future if it crops up again.

How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

Infinite ammo vs. CYBER PUNCH!!
So, this is happening.

This is a new PC, so I had to reinstall Rightload, the LPix plugin, and all that. I installed the Microsoft C++ 2010 Redistributable as well, and still no dice. ID, pass, etc. are all correct; plugin's in the right place. I'm stumped.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I'm trying to record a game that Fraps absolutely refuses to capture, so I returned to its lesser cousin Camtasia (version 8) to record it. Problem is, I want to do my editing in Premiere Pro, and for some reason any avi file (whether uncompressed, Camtasia's own Techsmith codec, or Lagarith) that is longer than about 7 minutes, when imported into Premiere Pro, is stubbornly cut to about 1 to 1,5 minutes of length.

I've tried googling the issue and found no solution, and I think I've fruitlessly asked about it in this thread before, but... maybe someone knows a solution?

Or: a suggestion for different recording software to try instead of Fraps or Camtasia? Note that I use these because I like the sharp pixely result they capture from older games.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

davidspackage posted:

I'm trying to record a game that Fraps absolutely refuses to capture, so I returned to its lesser cousin Camtasia (version 8) to record it. Problem is, I want to do my editing in Premiere Pro, and for some reason any avi file (whether uncompressed, Camtasia's own Techsmith codec, or Lagarith) that is longer than about 7 minutes, when imported into Premiere Pro, is stubbornly cut to about 1 to 1,5 minutes of length.

I've tried googling the issue and found no solution, and I think I've fruitlessly asked about it in this thread before, but... maybe someone knows a solution?

Or: a suggestion for different recording software to try instead of Fraps or Camtasia? Note that I use these because I like the sharp pixely result they capture from older games.
Could probably try to give Dxtory a try? Not sure why that Camtasia's recording is giving you such problems, though it's been years since I've used Camtasia's recording.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

davidspackage posted:

What's the file sizes in MB when that happens?

Is the recording target an AVI file? (I believe that's what Camtasia captures to.)

It might be that Premiere is bad at handling AVI files. I think you can use VirtualDub to get around it, first try opening your recording in VDub to check if you can view the entire recording.

If VDub is able to read your recording properly, exit it again. Run auxsetup.exe that comes with the package and use the Install Handler option. It'll set up a bunch of things that allows other software to pull video through VirtualDub. Exit the auxsetup again.

Start VirtualDub yet again. Open your recording.
Then pick File -> Start frame server.
Accept the default frameserver name it suggests, you usually won't need to change it.
It'll then prompt you to save a file. That file will be a "fake AVI" or "signpost", a tiny AVI file you can open in other software, and they'll end up pulling frames from VirtualDub. Do not overwrite your real video file!
When your signpost is saved, VirtualDub should begin showing a window with frameserver status. That means everything is ready. Pull up Premiere, and open the signpost AVI file you saved. It should then begin loading the video through VirtualDub. VDub needs to be running all the time, as long as Premiere needs to access the original recording.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

davidspackage posted:

I've ran into this a bunch. What I usually do when this happens is open the file in Virtualdub and re-export it with the "Save as AVI" and import that into Premiere. (Be sure to set video/audio to direct stream copy in VD. Video>Direct Stream Copy.)

If that doesn't work you can use VirtualDub to cut your file into smaller/shorter avi's with the "save segmented AVI" option. (It's a pain in the rear end to use as it'll poo poo out a bunch of segments if the length of the file is pretty long, but for the most part it works.)

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Premiere absolutely works with AVI, so you might wanna run it through VDub first to get something that'll play a little nicer. What I did for Mario and Luigi was record Lagarith AVIs straight from DesMuMe, then I had to run the recording through VDub to get a pixel perfect upscale of the recording, also exported in Lagarith. If you just export your AVI in VDub with Lagarith, you should be able to get an AVI that plays nice with Premiere.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

ChaosArgate posted:

Premiere absolutely works with AVI, so you might wanna run it through VDub first to get something that'll play a little nicer. What I did for Mario and Luigi was record Lagarith AVIs straight from DesMuMe, then I had to run the recording through VDub to get a pixel perfect upscale of the recording, also exported in Lagarith. If you just export your AVI in VDub with Lagarith, you should be able to get an AVI that plays nice with Premiere.

You really shouldn't be using Lagarith.

Three reasons:

1. It's not actually lossless.
It's based on floating point arithmetic, which is not accurate in all cases.

2. It's slow.
You're wasting more CPU on the encoding than necessary. With how cheap storage is today, the main point of a lossless codec is to squeeze the data just enough for it to not bottleneck on the way to the harddrive.

3. It's buggy.
This is mostly hearsay, but the code is poor and unmaintainable, meaning there are several hard-to-trace bugs that have never been fixed. Those can cause random crashing or corrupted video.

Suggestion for a better, lossless VfW (AVI) codec: HuffYUV, the ffmpeg variant.
Get ffdshow, but don't install the "ffdshow" components, only the "ffvfw" component.
That'll give you an ffdshow video codec option in software that uses VfW for encoding. Configure it to use the HuffYUV (ffmpeg variant) encoder, ensure the Predictor is set to Plane. Use the YUY2 colorspace for best color resolution, use YV12 for better compression at the cost of some color resolution. (The losses from YV12 colorspace conversion are going to happen anyway when you compress the video to H.264 or whatever final format. It's mostly a problem if you plan on upscaling things.)

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Thanks, you guys. I'll pull up Virtualdub. Again, this is a problem I've only had with avi files that Camtasia exports and I open in Premiere; any media player gives me the whole file, as does Camtasia itself. I suppose it's some file indexing issue I don't fully understand.

How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

MastiDS transitions are ignoring my previous edits for some reason. After completing all my Trims, etc. above, I start on the transitions:

code:
MDS_BotVSlide()
Video starts on the bottom screen, trimmed video length is kept, so far so good. But when I add a transition one line down, like so...

code:
MDS_VertStack(raw,2714)
...And preview again, the video jumps back up to its original length, untrimmed. If I use the animated version, it makes it nearly 20 times the unedited length, and the top and bottom screens get out of sync. The MastiDS guide doesn't seem to cover this.

Also, where exactly in the script should I place MDS_SetAFC(60)? Just anywhere in the MDS section before the crop function? Or can I just ignore it, since I'm uploading to Youtube anyway?

Quaternion Cat
Feb 19, 2011

Affeline Space

How Ingratiating! posted:

MastiDS transitions are ignoring my previous edits for some reason. After completing all my Trims, etc. above, I start on the transitions:

code:
MDS_BotVSlide()
Video starts on the bottom screen, trimmed video length is kept, so far so good. But when I add a transition one line down, like so...

code:
MDS_VertStack(raw,2714)
...And preview again, the video jumps back up to its original length, untrimmed. If I use the animated version, it makes it nearly 20 times the unedited length, and the top and bottom screens get out of sync. The MastiDS guide doesn't seem to cover this.

Also, where exactly in the script should I place MDS_SetAFC(60)? Just anywhere in the MDS section before the crop function? Or can I just ignore it, since I'm uploading to Youtube anyway?

Hi, maybe I've hosed something up, or, maybe you're using the latest version and my being colossally regarding readme's is biting you, or something. Can I see the whole script maybe, and do you remember where you got the version of MDS you're using (github or pastebin)?

Touchfuzzy
Dec 5, 2010

nielsm posted:

You really shouldn't be using Lagarith.

Three reasons:

1. It's not actually lossless.
It's based on floating point arithmetic, which is not accurate in all cases.

2. It's slow.
You're wasting more CPU on the encoding than necessary. With how cheap storage is today, the main point of a lossless codec is to squeeze the data just enough for it to not bottleneck on the way to the harddrive.

3. It's buggy.
This is mostly hearsay, but the code is poor and unmaintainable, meaning there are several hard-to-trace bugs that have never been fixed. Those can cause random crashing or corrupted video.

Suggestion for a better, lossless VfW (AVI) codec: HuffYUV, the ffmpeg variant.
Get ffdshow, but don't install the "ffdshow" components, only the "ffvfw" component.
That'll give you an ffdshow video codec option in software that uses VfW for encoding. Configure it to use the HuffYUV (ffmpeg variant) encoder, ensure the Predictor is set to Plane. Use the YUY2 colorspace for best color resolution, use YV12 for better compression at the cost of some color resolution. (The losses from YV12 colorspace conversion are going to happen anyway when you compress the video to H.264 or whatever final format. It's mostly a problem if you plan on upscaling things.)

So HuffYUV is preferable to Lagarith? What about UT Video? Also, is the way you described at the bottom a different way of installing it that makes it different than the normal install of HuffYUV?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Touchfuzzy posted:

So HuffYUV is preferable to Lagarith? What about UT Video? Also, is the way you described at the bottom a different way of installing it that makes it different than the normal install of HuffYUV?

The FFmpeg variant of HuffYUV is not compatible with the original HuffYUV, but it has better compression without a significant loss of speed.

I don't really know how UT Video compares, sorry.

Touchfuzzy
Dec 5, 2010

nielsm posted:

The FFmpeg variant of HuffYUV is not compatible with the original HuffYUV, but it has better compression without a significant loss of speed.

I don't really know how UT Video compares, sorry.

If you could link me/show me how to install this variation of HuffYUV, that'd be swell. I'd like to try it out.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Touchfuzzy posted:

If you could link me/show me how to install this variation of HuffYUV, that'd be swell. I'd like to try it out.

That's what I linked to, it's part of ffdshow.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ffdshow-tryout/files/SVN%20builds%20by%20clsid/generic%20builds/

You normally should disable the actual ffdshow component there, and only install the "ffvfw" codec. Otherwise it can break video playback in software that uses DirectShow, including some games.

Touchfuzzy
Dec 5, 2010

nielsm posted:

That's what I linked to, it's part of ffdshow.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ffdshow-tryout/files/SVN%20builds%20by%20clsid/generic%20builds/

You normally should disable the actual ffdshow component there, and only install the "ffvfw" codec. Otherwise it can break video playback in software that uses DirectShow, including some games.

Should Adaptive huffman tables be checked?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Touchfuzzy posted:

Should Adaptive huffman tables be checked?

I think it depends. I imagine it can give better compression in most cases, but might make seeking/random access slower. If you're going to use the recording as input to Avisynth, leave adaptive tables off.

How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

Mastigophoran posted:

Hi, maybe I've hosed something up, or, maybe you're using the latest version and my being colossally regarding readme's is biting you, or something. Can I see the whole script maybe, and do you remember where you got the version of MDS you're using (github or pastebin)?

I got revision 4 from pastebin, here. And here's the script I'm using, with [additional comments]:

code:
raw=Avisource("E:\videopart01.avi")+Avisource("E:\videopart2.avi")...
[5 videos are appended into one long segment here.
I recorded them off Desmume on Windows XP 32-bit; currently using
Windows 7 64-bit to edit]
part01=Trim(raw, 0, 5993)
part02=Trim(raw, 7306, 7386)
part03=Trim(raw, 20726, 21168)
part04=Trim(raw, 21700, 21867)
part05=Trim(raw, 23076, 23259)
part06=Trim(raw, 23557, 23721)
part07=Trim(raw, 27334, 27630)
part08=Trim(raw, 27984, 31357)
part09=Trim(raw, 31703, 31789)
part10=Trim(raw, 32383, 33668)
part11=Trim(raw, 33931, 34204)
part12=Trim(raw, 36758, 37611)
part13=Trim(raw, 40943, 47193)
part14=Trim(raw, 63600, 64542)
part15=Trim(raw, 77475, 81797)
part16=Trim(raw, 84519, 86356)
part17=Trim(raw, 115063, 115852)
part18=Trim(raw, 117125, 118026)
part19=Trim(raw, 130327, 130622)
part20=Trim(raw, 133490, 134699)
part21=Trim(raw, 139892, 140203)
Dissolve(part01, part02, part03, part04, part05, part06, part07, part08,
part09, part10, part11, part12, part13, part14, 
part15, part16, part17, part18, part19, part20, part21, 5)
#MDS_SetAFC(60) [until I know what to do with it; having it enabled doesn't
seem to break or fix anything]
MDS_BotVSlide()
MDS_VertStackA(raw,2714) [here's where it gets screwy]
MDS_BotVSlideA(raw,3447)
MDS_VertStackA(raw,21958)
MDS_BotVSlideA(raw,22289)
crop(MDS_Border,0,-MDS_Border,0)
I'm starting to think I may have to encode the video first so the raw clip is all one file to start with, but I really don't want to do that.

How Ingratiating! fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jul 27, 2015

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

OBS question: I have it set to delay my mic about a second so that my voice lines up better with the game footage, but does that also push back desktop audio? The recording I have doesn't seem to push my guest's audio back, so is there a way to push that back as well? Or should I just try to wire my mic and desktop audio through VAC and have that be the input device?

Edit: Looks like there's something called Global Audio Offset, so I guess I'll try that, but I'm not sure if that's going to push back Elgato's audio too.

ChaosArgate fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jul 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

How Ingratiating! posted:

I'm starting to think I may have to encode the video first so the raw clip is all one file to start with, but I really don't want to do that.

Makes zero difference to Avisynth.

Without looking into the specifics, I'm guessing you have to remove the "raw" from the MDS functions.