Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Cricket
This poll is closed.
Blackface in crowd 129 55.36%
References to Lord of the Rings 104 44.64%
Total: 233 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
By coincidence or whatever the team that wins the toss has tended to win Ashes tests so get your poo poo together Michael Clark

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EMC
Aug 17, 2004

Scylo posted:

I didn't realise Cummins has only played 6 first class games in his life, with 4 of those being in 2011

Well we pick out batsmen based on how they are smashing them in the nets, so we may as well pick our bowlers the same way

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Apparently on averages Watto/Katich were our second-best ever opening pair behind Lawry/Simpson and ahead of Langer/Hayden. Watto was actually legit good as an opener and pretty okay batting above 4.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Negligent posted:

Apparently on averages Watto/Katich were our second-best ever opening pair behind Lawry/Simpson and ahead of Langer/Hayden. Watto was actually legit good as an opener and pretty okay batting above 4.

I'd be interested to see who their opponents were in that time and on what pitch. I get that statistically they're good, but I feel Warner and Rogers is a better pair.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Negligent posted:

No one's going to argue that at the time as that co-coincided with the 18 months Watson was not being poo poo. Outside of that...... nope.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Negligent posted:

Lies, drat Lies, and Statistics.

Watson is poo poo, has alwaysmostly been poo poo, and will hopefully never be poo poo again for the Aussie test team.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

Negligent posted:

Good as an opener, just about passable at no. 3, bad anywhere else.

But I think him being an opener just happened to coincide with his best form, not that he was especially suited for the position. He only scored one fifty in his last 18 innings opening the batting.

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!
Honest question - how did/do you Aussies actually find time to watch the Ashes when they are in England since the play occurs basically during the middle of the night?

At least if you are in Perth the day's play begins at 6pm. Do you just watch a few hours before bed? I guess you can see most of the first half of the day pretty easily before bed. Was it aired tape delayed at some point?

MaoistBanker fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jul 16, 2015

EMC
Aug 17, 2004

MaoistBanker posted:

Honest question - how did/do you Aussies actually find time to watch the Ashes when they are in England since the play occurs basically during the middle of the night?

At least if you are in Perth the day's play begins at 6pm. Do you just watch a few hours before bed? Was it aired tape delayed at some point?

I am in Perth so for once AWST wins, I usually watch the first two sessions before going to bed about 10.30

Guess the guys over east could do the same and turn in around midnight

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
it's worse to watch the Australian ashes in England. That's always midnight to 8am

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!

RideTheSpiral posted:

it's worse to watch the Australian ashes in England. That's always midnight to 8am

It's a lot of fun here in Los Angeles - 3pm-11pm. Aus/NZ events are timed nearly perfectly.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

MaoistBanker posted:

At least if you are in Perth the day's play begins at 6pm. Do you just watch a few hours before bed? I guess you can see most of the first half of the day pretty easily before bed. Was it aired tape delayed at some point?

Play starts for the eastern seaboard (Sydney/Melbourne/Brisbane) at 8pm which isn't too bad, you can watch the first session live quite comfortably and if you're a bit of a night owl the afternoon session finishes at about 12:40am which again is pretty doable assuming you don't have to get up for work before 7am. I pretty much never watch the evening session.

Tests in the West Indies are way worse since they start at midnight and finish at 8am, I don't think I've ever even bothered staying up for one of those.

Then again I'm used to following the English Premier League football so watching sport in the middle of the night isn't that unusual for me :v:

Noxin of Shame
Jul 25, 2005

:allears: Our Dan :allears:

RideTheSpiral posted:

What the heck is a side strain anyway and why do so many cricketers get it?

webmeister posted:

The Aussie side has been strained pretty much since Steve Waugh stepped down

Nice

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

EMC posted:

I am in Perth so for once AWST wins, I usually watch the first two sessions before going to bed about 10.30

Guess the guys over east could do the same and turn in around midnight

Yeah I usually watch the first two sessions, but hang around if something interesting is happening.

It's actually ideal for me, I watch more of the Ashes in England/Wales than I do in Australia, because I'm at work. It's probably part of the reason I prefer northern Ashes.
The other international league I follow is the NFL and that's on in our morning when I'm at work, and I have to avoid results to watch it at night.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009

MaoistBanker posted:

I don't like sleeping much so I just watch it all then wake up at 6am anyway

Auditore
Nov 4, 2010
I watch the English Ashes in New Zealand. Play starts at 10pm and I normally get through one and a half to two sessions before bed.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Auditore posted:

I watch the English Ashes in New Zealand. Play starts at 10pm and I normally get through one and a half to two sessions before bed.

Same here.

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax

Presumably these five things are something like:

1. Bat
2. Bowl
3. Field
4. Keep
5. Coach

6. oval office

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Pretty sure they've got #6 covered.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Not seeing sledging on that list, doesn't bode well

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
the nature of my work means that as long as I am hitting deadlines my hours don't matter, so I watch while I work

nzspambot
Mar 26, 2010

19:30 kick off is easy; double park with Master Chef and fall asleep sometime in the 2nd session or during the Tour De France

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Australia to win by a lot

Marsh to fail

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
Australia batting first on a cloudy morning seems like it won't go very well

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

I've got a big £5 riding on Australia to win and £2 on Smith to score a century

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Scylo posted:

Australia batting first on a cloudy morning seems like it won't go very well

Of course not but its the right move. The pitch looks pretty good.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

So Warner is going to knick out in the first over or two playing like a spaz right.

Seksiness
Aug 24, 2006
I screwed your grandma and all I got was this lousy custom title... and herpes
You have to bat first at Lords. England will have about 2 hours to make some inroads before the batting will become easier.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
I'm having 4/40 at lunch nightmares here lads

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Ugh where did Brett Lee come from

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

It's cricket time lads

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
I wonder how much time we'll spend looking at all the old pricks in the fancy rooms at Lords today

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

Burn Down Canberra posted:

So Warner is going to knick out in the first over or two playing like a spaz right.

Rogers will play out a maiden first up, it'll be second over.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Warnes back :(

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.
I like Michael holding but he says "THEY WILL WANT TO TAKE URRRAL-AY WICKUTS" every time. No poo poo.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009

Burn Down Canberra posted:

Or rogers will

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Oh my God

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

For fucks sake :(

I'm sure they said he'd be gone until the third test.

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

At least Healy can have a breather this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

If trends continue we will be 0/720 at stumps.