Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Krataar
Sep 13, 2011

Drums in the deep

How are people wiping settlements off the map? Is there a way to do that I'm missing. Also whats a faster way to increase my population?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Technically the game includes China since it has Uyghurs and most of Xinjiang. Even it it didn't become part of China until a few centuries after the game takes place. But that's a mere technicality as the People's Republic is not bound by the fourth dimension.

Sigmund Fraud
Jul 31, 2005

Are the older DLC's on sale right now? Got a mail saying so but could only find that the bundle was on sale. It's usually the case after a new DLC is released.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Krataar posted:

How are people wiping settlements off the map? Is there a way to do that I'm missing. Also whats a faster way to increase my population?

Right click the holding and select pillage. Be careful to pillage and not accidentally settle, as you can't undo that and it appears in the same alert. you'll burn some of the buildings in the holding, get some tech and gold, and if there are no more buildings it will destroy the holding. It gets a "recently burned" modifier which lasts for a few months and doesn't let you burn it again until it expires as well as a "burned land" modifier which lasts longer and reduces the tax and levies.

You can do this to holdings you own or occupy in a war.

Lost Season
Nov 28, 2013

Strudel Man posted:

No, he was a mercenary leader. Also, I was in mid-war the last time it happened.

??? Hm. Well, the death is interrupting a great holy war; I guess I could rejoin it after the death. Just a little afraid of the ironman autosave locking me into a nasty position with that.

edit: Rejoining the crusade did indeed take the penalty away. A little odd, though. Maybe defensive wars don't count?

Defensive wars not counting makes sense, because the modifier is specifically for weakness and being attacked doesn't exactly show strength

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Krataar posted:

Own a non nomadic yourself. It'll give you an alert to pillage it

Lost Season
Nov 28, 2013

Krataar posted:

You can pillage a holding you own or have occupied by right-clicking it in the province view to open a context menu.

I'm not exactly sure what governs population, but I'm pretty sure one of the dev diaries said it's tied to the number of open holding slots in your provinces, so as always you should look to acquire more, better provinces. Also, a number of the buildings in the horde capital affect your population, so prioritizing those might help.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
Charlemagne start Turkestan, the Ughurs pushed me southwest into Muslim lands until I started bordering the Abbasids, who started pushing east and now I'm headed southeast. I'm surprised at how easy it is to be, well, nomadic as the nomads - I would have bet that engine limitations would have really got in the way, but instead I've cheerfully hopped the Aral sea and now I'm halfway to India.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
Has anyone found a way to become nomadic if you start as feudal?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Back To 99 posted:

Has anyone found a way to become nomadic if you start as feudal?

I cant even figure out if there's a console command to do this

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Larry Parrish posted:

I cant even figure out if there's a console command to do this

What happens if a nomad destroys your capital holding?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Solemn Sloth posted:

What happens if a nomad destroys your capital holding?

They have to own it so it wouldn't be your capital holding

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I think there might be a bug with the ongoing prestige costs for horde retinues - I've only got 6 retinues total, 4 of which are skrimish units (so pay their upkeep in gold), and the other two are Maurader units - yet I'm actually losing prestige because those two maurader units are apparently costing me 2.6 prestige per month. It SHOULD only be 0.2 total. Even if the cash ones have a prestige cost too, I certainly don't have enough units to be spending that much.

I think it might have something to do with inheriting retinues because I just succeeded and it seemed to be working correctly before my heir took over.

*edit* actually I figured out what the issue is and I think it's still a bug, but not the one I thought it was. Essentially, that 2.6 was the reinforcement cost of the retinues because they weren't full, but my heir had negative prestige. The problem is that with negative prestige, the retinues won't reinforce, but you're still charged the full cost of reinforcement.

It's most likely a bug. You are right, certain horse troops cost prestige to raise and prestige (and manpower) to reinforce, so these costs can look daunting when they aren't full. If you are in such a situation again, you can always set your retinues/horde troops to not reinforce. After that you must find ways to gain prestige, which might be a challenge if your troops don't reinforce.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Solemn Sloth posted:

or occupy in a war.

I've never actually figured out how you're supposed to pillage holdings you occupy during a war because it always tells me that I'm not the province owner and therefore can't do it even if I've taken every holding in the province and have my horde parked on top of it. Works fine when I win the war and actually own it, though.

Krataar
Sep 13, 2011

Drums in the deep

If your a nomad is there a way to pick ip and leave an area to go conquer somewhere else?

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Thanks to the broken-as-gently caress subjugate CB I am, in 804, the Jewish Khazar Khagan of Francia. I love it.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Autonomous Monster posted:

Right, sorry, forgot. Win 7 64-bit Pro, i7-2600k @ 3.4GHz, 8GB DDR3 RAM @ 1600MHz, MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G @ 1114MHz Core/1753MHz Memory.

e: Something odd did happen in the 2.3.6 game: the Abbablob exploded. Maybe that cut down on castration madness?

Shouldn't matter, from what I can see with that setup you should be doing about 20-25 ticks a second unless I'm missing something. I have a i5-3570k at same speed but less cores and I do a month in ~1 second and a full year in ~12-13

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Strudel Man posted:

I don't think so. Happened again - the new guy has a martial of 15, which is at least decent, and the weakness penalty is now -533. Seems like a bug.

No is working as designed, it is the being at peace for too long modifier which for Nomads are applied to the nomad opinions as "Weakness".

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Krataar posted:

If your a nomad is there a way to pick ip and leave an area to go conquer somewhere else?

You can right click a county title and choose to abandon it (i think only if its empty)

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Is there a way to view regions in-game as a map setting? Wasn't that in one of the dev diaries?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Groogy posted:

Shouldn't matter, from what I can see with that setup you should be doing about 20-25 ticks a second unless I'm missing something. I have a i5-3570k at same speed but less cores and I do a month in ~1 second and a full year in ~12-13

:stare:

So I'm out by a factor of three? That's... there's got to be something weird going on here. Do I need to delete the cache? Do a clean reinstall? Could it be a driver problem? I haven't got a SSD, but it shouldn't be doing any loading anyway.

Wait, wait, hang on. When is that 20 t/s coming from? Just the opening year after you unpause? The game runs very very fast at that point, but performance drops off sharply afterwards. I wouldn't be surprised if I was getting performance like that in the first couple of years.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
You know, forget china, it's completely bizarre not having Tibet in now. I mean, hell, at the charlemange start date the Tarim Basin should be entirely their vassals, for one thing. Not to mention the body of the empire is already on the map!

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

CrusaderKings/ParadoxProgamming.txt

Paradox Dev posted:

In essence, more dead characters doesn't make game slower. More alive characters does. But what really hits performance are large empires because it increases the amounts of realms (every ruler technically holds his own sub-realm) meaning more evaluations per character has to be made. For instance I discovered late game that huge greek/byzantine empires were slowing down the game because each greek person was evaluating against each other person in the realm "can I castrate?", and this took up like a huge chunk of the performance of the AI. I hink 70% of the AI demands were about castrating or blinding someone when I loaded late-game byzantine saves. Luckily this is fixed in the coming 2.4 patch. A fun little anecdote.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/ask-paradox-development-studio-anything.615174/page-98#post-19138242

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only
Here's a tip. While you can send more than one son or brother off to be a mercenary. It doesn't mean you should.

When you inherit, your brother will continue to be a mercenary and continue to accumulate prestige, so almost certainly inherit in favour of your own sons.

This is a big problem if your brother's wife died, as he won't have any sons on inheritance, and your nephews aren't allowed to inherit.

The result is a desperate dash to have a son so that rather than having a game over, you just lose control of the Khaganate.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Seems the Shia Caliphate rising event is bugged. It spawns the pretender Caliph, however upon winning the war he does not get the Shia Caliphate title and remains a normal ruler, which can cause several other Shia Caliphate risings to spawn further king-level Sayyid Shi'ite rulers. This is running with my decadence tweak mod, however I have not edited anything to do with that event or the associated CB. So it's probably something in the patch that made this happen.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Is the family member who would inherit automatically called back from his mercenary adventuring in order to inherit?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Solemn Sloth posted:

Is the family member who would inherit automatically called back from his mercenary adventuring in order to inherit?

Yes.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart
« Games › Crusader Kings II: 70% about castrating or blinding someone

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

They should have mechanics where if you're at war as the Mongols, all your relatives are called back and the wars ended if the sitting Khan dies so they can elect a new one.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Wiz how much do I have to paypal you to get Vinland DLC on the roadmap? I need to be able to migrate vikings to the New World.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

:stare:

So I'm out by a factor of three? That's... there's got to be something weird going on here. Do I need to delete the cache? Do a clean reinstall? Could it be a driver problem? I haven't got a SSD, but it shouldn't be doing any loading anyway.

Wait, wait, hang on. When is that 20 t/s coming from? Just the opening year after you unpause? The game runs very very fast at that point, but performance drops off sharply afterwards. I wouldn't be surprised if I was getting performance like that in the first couple of years.

Maybe? I did two types of tests, one that was over 10 years span when game started and one with late game saves tests with also a 10 year span and both had improved significantly. If you let the game run any longer than even 5 years the random factor becomes too apparent and you can't deduce anything sensible from it. For instance I had a variance of ~12 seconds each run of 10 years, meaning that it could go either ~12 seconds faster or slower each time I ran depending on what the AI decided to do. However I would say the Abbasids splitting up should from the data crunching I did actually speed up your game since it means technically there are fewer realms in the world (this also counts each sub-realm)

I have a question, were you running with Autosaves and how often did it do autosaves? Because I believe with autosaves on they stand for more than 50% of the time for a year to pass. Luckily a few days ago I came up with a good way to optimize the saving process so we'll see if I get time in the near future to implement it.

Also a thing I noticed but wasn't really part of performance test was that my hands off overnights would cover several hundreds of years more than it did before. Either way I still have more stuff I can make better, right now I'm working on a new technique I call optimization through genocide (inspired from the mod that adds a decision that cleans out characters, difference is this will be completely unnoticeable to the player)

Groogy fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Jul 16, 2015

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

E:poor taste

Solemn Sloth fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jul 16, 2015

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Groogy posted:

Maybe? I did two tests, one that was over 10 years span when game started and one with late game saves tests with also a 10 year span and both had improved significantly. If you let the game run any longer than even 5 years the random factor becomes too apparent and you can't deduce anything sensible from it. For instance I had a variance of ~12 seconds each run of 10 years, meaning that it could go either ~12 seconds faster or slower each time I ran depending on what the AI decided to do.

[Hmm. I mean, it's not the early game performance that's the problem here. Not for me, at least; it's when I get a century or two deep that things start to feel like they're dragging. When it starts to drop below 6t/s, just to pluck a number out of thin air.] e: oh, you were running five-years forward from late-game saves? That makes sense.

When I get home I'll try five-year tests.

quote:

I have a question, were you running with Autosaves and how often did it do autosaves? Because I believe with autosaves on they stand for more than 50% of the time for a year to pass. Luckily a few days ago I came up with a good way to optimize the saving process so we'll see if I get time in the near future to implement it.

Also a thing I noticed but wasn't really part of performance test was that my hands off overnights would cover several hundreds of years more than it did before. Either way I still have more stuff I can make better, right now I'm working on a new technique I call optimization through genocide (inspired from the mod that adds a decision that cleans out characters)

Autosaves: every five years. It didn't seem to take that long- I didn't time that specifically, but eyeballing it the "autosaving" message couldn't have been on screen for more than 2 or 3 seconds. Is the autosave process doing something in the background while the game is ticking forwards? This was uncompressed autosaves, btw.

Oh, I don't know if you've seen it, but there's a thread on the Pdox forums about this here: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/anyone-else-having-performance-issues-in-the-current-patch.870181/

Including one guy who thinks I must be using a NASA supercomputer to get results like this. :stonklol:

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Jul 16, 2015

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Autosaves: every five years. It didn't seem to take that long- I didn't time that specifically, but eyeballing it the "autosaving" message couldn't have been on screen for more than 2 or 3 seconds. Is the autosave process doing something in the background while the game is ticking forwards? This was uncompressed autosaves, btw.

Hmmm 5 years autosaves should be fine, it still affects the result but it shouldn't affect it that much

But 5 hours just to pass 40 years? That feels like a huge exaggeration or the guy was playing on speed 1 or something. Even the slowest beta when I got his results from his craptop which didn't even meet CK2's minimum specs could still cover 40 years faster than that.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

DrSunshine posted:

They should have mechanics where if you're at war as the Mongols, all your relatives are called back and the wars ended if the sitting Khan dies so they can elect a new one.

There are already CBs that end inconclusively when certain characters die (mostly when pressing claims and the claimant bites it), so this would merely be an extension of that mechanic, and an all around good idea.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
so what does the dlc give me that the patch doesn't? just the ability to play as nomads?

also, is that coa bug with religious conversions fixed, or is that just coded too deep or something?

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Basically whenever you want. The penalty with non-viceroy lords is tiny. It's a pain to have to hand out the title again every time the current holder dies, but it's a good way to manage a powerful kingdom and keep it in the hands of content vassals.

I don't really think duchy viceroys are worth the effort, but if you find you've got a particularly troublesome dynasty controlling a duchy it might be worthwhile to take the tyranny hit to revoke it and then hand it out as a viceroyalty.

I guess what I'm asking is -- what's the advantage of viceroys instead of just holding all the kingdoms myself?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
^^Edit: Your vassal limit will force you to give out the kingdoms eventually if your empire gets too big, so at some point you are forced to give them away. If you stay small enough then there are few advantages to give them out, feel free to keep them.

Doctor Schnabel posted:

so what does the dlc give me that the patch doesn't? just the ability to play as nomads?

also, is that coa bug with religious conversions fixed, or is that just coded too deep or something?

Hordes play a lot different than the other government types, so that's a pretty sweet deal. You also get the CB to make other states tributaries, and you can only use the Silk Road feature if you have the DLC.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Please please please move the "Settle as Feudal" to a different notification than "Pillage". Or at the very least give a special confirmation window for it. This is the third time I've had to savescum because I've accidentally "settled" somewhere out in Siberia while pillaging a bunch of newly obtained counties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

Please please please move the "Settle as Feudal" to a different notification than "Pillage". Or at the very least give a special confirmation window for it. This is the third time I've had to savescum because I've accidentally "settled" somewhere out in Siberia while pillaging a bunch of newly obtained counties.

I lost an ironman game to that :(

• Locked thread