Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

precision posted:

I fuckin' love this game's soundtrack. Dat Bright Eyes song. :smith:

I sing through the entirety of To All of You at least 2-3 times a day at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Accordion Man posted:

I still think it would be really interesting that if towards the end of the game you get to choose which timeline you want to make permanent.

Yeah, that was kinda my initial thought. You have the opportunity to have Max be one of the cool kids, and her best friend's dad is still alive, but you have to live with the knowledge that in a certain way of thinking, you're the one who paralyzed Chloe.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Crappy Jack posted:

Yeah, that was kinda my initial thought. You have the opportunity to have Max be one of the cool kids, and her best friend's dad is still alive, but you have to live with the knowledge that in a certain way of thinking, you're the one who paralyzed Chloe.
Kate still being alive could also be a big incentive.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

seravid posted:

What I'm getting is that I should probably watch Donnie Darko, huh?

Still on the fence about the alternate timeline, since Chloe being stuck to the chair is out of the question (right? :smith:) but devoting precious time developing a parallel story just to rewind it all back would be pretty frustrating. Then again maybe not... doing something dumb then rewinding and doing it right is the bread and butter of this game, even if it usually happens on a (much) smaller scale.

I was actually looking for an official soundtrack (with the original score). Sucks that there isn't one, but extracting the files is easy enough so I can just build it myself. Probably leave out the Angus and Julia Stone song too; I don't hate it or anything, but it seems like I've heard it a million times already.

I don't think we will be stuck in the alternate timeline. Originally I thought Max could use the picture of Chloe and her dad that you can take when you first go back, but then I remembered that it's actually optional. There is also the fireplace that you can tag in the past, and that could come in to play somehow to convince Chloe of the time travel stuff, but again optional.

They haven't really touched much on the big storm that's coming to destroy the town either. Presumably that's why Max has her powers. Unless the storm is like...metaphoric :smith:

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

Accordion Man posted:

Max may very will be one of the people bullying Kate in the new timeline. She did join the Vortex club after all.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Accordion Man posted:

That actually makes me think they won't go with the whole "choose your whole timeline adventure" option because if Kate's already dead in your playthrough then there's no tension to that decision, and you can't bring her back either way.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I think this episode is gonna be about guiding points in the timeline to try and get Chloe's father alive without the unfortunate side-effects and watching all the interim variations on the present.

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012
The episode is going to be 10 minutes of emotional stuff at the beginning then back to status quo of Max thinking condescending things about people

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Ekusukariba posted:

The episode is going to be 10 minutes of emotional stuff at the beginning then back to status quo of Max thinking condescending things about people

"God, Chloe just looks so bored all the time in that chair"

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Paul Zuvella posted:

"God, Chloe just looks so bored all the time in that chair"
It's hosed up how easily this translated to Max's voice in my head.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

so is it coming out tomorrow

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

I don't think so. Last ep. the patched the day before the release.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost

Ekusukariba posted:

How long before she becomes a kind of Dr.Manhattan to whom anyone's death has no meaning because she can go back and talk to them any time.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

Gwaint posted:

There were 53 days between the release of Episode 1 and Episode 2, and 56 days between the release of Episode 2 and Episode 3. If Episode 4 comes out on the 14th, that'll be another 56 days.

So far they're doing a really good job of keeping the content coming without too much time in between each episode!
I totally read this post as a factual release report so my heart was kinda broken yesterday when the game didn't come out. :smith:

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

VagueRant posted:

I totally read this post as a factual release report so my heart was kinda broken yesterday when the game didn't come out. :smith:

The internet lied to us. :(

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I bought a bunch of games during the Steam summer sale and none of them can hold my interest anywhere close to Max's Twee Time Traveling Adventures. This is GOTY 2015 and I sincerely cannot wait until Episode 4.

Gwaint
Oct 22, 2010

"Music is the truth. Just listen..."
Sorry I got your hopes up, guys. Mine were dashed too. :smith:

Seriously though, I'm surprised there's been no word about when it's due to come out. You'd think they'd be almost done, so it looks like a bad sign...
As long as it's ready when it's finally released. Nobody wants an episode that had to be hurriedly finished, after all!

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

They posted this tweet not to long ago: https://twitter.com/LifeIsStrange/status/621256643960020993

Gwaint
Oct 22, 2010

"Music is the truth. Just listen..."
My hopes raise once again. :unsmith:

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
But, I want it now. :smith:

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
Oh nice, we might get it this weekend.

abardam
Mar 1, 2015
"Most ambitious yet"? What could that mean :aaa:

Torgo2727
Oct 24, 2004
Taking Care of the Place While the Master Is Away
It means all your hopes and dreams about what will be in the next episode will be true.

Also, is "kek" a World of Warcraft reference? I think it might be a WoW reference.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Given that Max later refers to bubblehearthing, I'm assuming that she has at some point played WoW.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

Torgo2727 posted:

It means all your hopes and dreams about what will be in the next episode will be true.

Oh boy oh boy oh boy

Time Enforcement Commission Agent Max Walker Caulfield - There's never enough time...
Warren - Never enough for what? :allears:
Max - To satisfy a woman.
Warren - ...oh :smith:
Chloe - :stare:

Torgo2727
Oct 24, 2004
Taking Care of the Place While the Master Is Away

seravid posted:

Time Enforcement Commission Agent Max Walker Caulfield - There's never enough time...
Warren - Never enough for what? :allears:
Max - To satisfy a woman.
Warren - ...oh :smith:
Chloe - :corsair:

Fixed that for you.

...Fuuuuuuuuck :smith:

-Edit-

Way to put effort into your posting with that picture, good work. Go hog wild.

Torgo2727 fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jul 16, 2015

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Torgo2727 posted:

Also, is "kek" a World of Warcraft reference? I think it might be a WoW reference.

Yeah it is. Its what lol translates into through the Orcish language filter (anything an Alliance player sees a Horde player say is translated to Orcish in speech bubbles or chatlines)

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Kek is (internet) Korean for lol. It's not something Blizzard came up with.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Paladinus posted:

Kek is (internet) Korean for lol. It's not something Blizzard came up with.

Yup. the 'kek' in WoW is a reference to Startcraft's huge popularity in south Korea.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

SirSamVimes posted:

Given that Max later refers to bubblehearthing, I'm assuming that she has at some point played WoW.

yeah i always thought that some of her nicknames were just things her guild called her back when she used to play world of warcraft too.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Paul Zuvella posted:

Yup. the 'kek' in WoW is a reference to Startcraft's huge popularity in south Korea.

Ah, didn't know that.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Ah, didn't know that.

To be fair, I'm probably the youngest person who was even an age where they played Starcraft, and even then it was several years after the fact (I'm 24).

For most of the audience of this game, this might as well be a WoW or 4chan reference, because that's the context that they have experienced it in.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Paul Zuvella posted:

To be fair, I'm probably the youngest person who was even an age where they played Starcraft, and even then it was several years after the fact (I'm 24).

For most of the audience of this game, this might as well be a WoW or 4chan reference, because that's the context that they have experienced it in.

It's a part of the general internet slang at this point. Just like many people have no idea about 4chan, but are constantly exposed to memes originating there through social media.

im gay
Jul 20, 2013

by Lowtax
I just bought this and played all three episodes in one night and that loving episode three ending, god drat.

I'm thinking about going back and replaying everything because I know I missed poo poo, like watering that loving plant and feeding that rabbit.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

You can do whatever, but in my experience games like these begin to fall apart once you start replaying them to get your "ideal" runthrough. There are some decisions/events that I wish I could take back but I'm just gonna let it roll.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

You can do whatever, but in my experience games like these begin to fall apart once you start replaying them to get your "ideal" runthrough. There are some decisions/events that I wish I could take back but I'm just gonna let it roll.

This is why I dig it so much. Kate jumped in my game, which bummed me out, but then the game is broadly about regrets and wishing you could change things. There's a few games that play on those emotions, but it's still pretty rare to experience.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Mr. Flunchy posted:

This is why I dig it so much. Kate jumped in my game, which bummed me out, but then the game is broadly about regrets and wishing you could change things. There's a few games that play on those emotions, but it's still pretty rare to experience.

Plus it'll make the inevitable choose between worlds choice harder.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

This game is incredibly artsy fartsy and pretentions. Holy poo poo.

That being said, this game is better when you play Max as speaking all her internal monologue out loud and make her be as much of a character out of Misfits as possible.

I'm also intentionally not using the reverse time or the "correct" answers unless I absolutely have to. She's an angsty shy teen who will gently caress up her future. More realistic that way.

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jul 17, 2015

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

im gay posted:

I just bought this and played all three episodes in one night and that loving episode three ending, god drat.

I'm thinking about going back and replaying everything because I know I missed poo poo, like watering that loving plant and feeding that rabbit.

Did you speedrun it or did you spend the entire night playing? I got 10 hours in and I still managed to miss 9 photos (though I wasn't looking for them) and a dead cat (definitely wasn't looking for that).

GreenBuckanneer posted:

This game is incredibly artsy fartsy and pretentions. Holy poo poo.

That being said, this game is better when you play Max as speaking all her internal monologue out loud and make her be as much of a character out of Misfits as possible.

I'm also intentionally not using the reverse time or the "correct" answers unless I absolutely have to. She's an angsty shy teen who will gently caress up her future. More realistic that way.

It's part of the charm, even if - or especially if - some lines are terrible.

Also, that is a weird justification to avoid using the game's main gimmick and cool scene generator*. It's more realistic for a shy 18-year-old time traveler to not time travel? Max - and every more or less introvert 18yo everywhere - would time travel all the time.

* "You eat like a pig. Try the floor :smugdog: "

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

seravid posted:

Did you speedrun it or did you spend the entire night playing? I got 10 hours in and I still managed to miss 9 photos (though I wasn't looking for them) and a dead cat (definitely wasn't looking for that).

It's part of the charm, even if - or especially if - some lines are terrible.

Also, that is a weird justification to avoid using the game's main gimmick and cool scene generator*. It's more realistic for a shy 18-year-old time traveler to not time travel? Max - and every more or less introvert 18yo everywhere - would time travel all the time.

* "You eat like a pig. Try the floor :smugdog: "

I'll do a new game where I do it correctly, there looked like there were 3 save slots.

• Locked thread