Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Nobody could be this loving stupid. He literally said and wrote why he did it.

:(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Boy that Garfield sure hates Mondays!

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

OAquinas posted:

At what point does Tinsley start losing papers? Using the death of a dozen people as a (stupid) funny page gag seems like its way over some lines. Or should be, anyway.

At the point conservatives stop being the whiniest people imaginable and not a second beforehand. He can do virtually anything, but as long as there's a group with a persecution complex saying taking him down would be an attack on them, he will stay.

Lord_Ventnor
Mar 30, 2010

The Worldwide Deadly Gangster Communist President

Spoeank posted:

It was a joke. I understand it's tough because we're not used to seeing jokes and Tinsley comics in the same vicinity.

Twelve people died because they went to the movies! Isn't that funny?

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

"I have literally no understanding of the current American political climate beyond sound bites, and most of them are over five years old at this point. I still deserve my job as an up-to-date commentator." - Michael "Two. Yes, two." Ramirez.

"Slaughter." Always a word I look for on the loving funny pages.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Lord_Ventnor posted:

Twelve people died because they went to the movies! Isn't that funny?

My post was a joke at how a garbage poo poo hack Tinsley is? Or are we only allowed impotent rage in this thread.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Spoeank posted:

Or are we only allowed impotent rage in this thread.
Hell, I thought that was the only kind we had.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Oh hey, I get it.

The joke is that Bruce Tinsley is a literal racist.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Somfin posted:

"Slaughter." Always a word I look for on the loving funny pages.

You can't spell slaughter without laughter!

What a lovely comic.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Tinsley can't even make a good loving comparison.

If we're making a comparison to Aurora, then the equivalent to what Tinsley is saying is "the shooter hates churchgoers" which is what a lot of conservative people were saying to avoid a connection to racism.

Way to go Tinsley, you mocked your own loving side, you incompetent hack. Please quit and let someone who gives a poo poo take a stab at comics.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Be glad. If a conservative who gave a poo poo was in the paper instead then someone might actually listen to them.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Allie gives a poo poo, no-one listens to him.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Rorus Raz posted:

If we're making a comparison to Aurora, then the equivalent to what Tinsley is saying is "the shooter hates churchgoers" which is what a lot of conservative people were saying to avoid a connection to racism.

Way to go Tinsley, you mocked your own loving side, you incompetent hack. Please quit and let someone who gives a poo poo take a stab at comics.

As much as I hate to defend it, I don't think it's quite that dumb. Tinsley isn't talking about the shooter's motivations, but the futility of using them as any kind of reference for the broader culture. He's saying that if the Charleston shooting means America in general has a problem with racism, then the Aurora shooting must mean Americans in general have a problem with theater-goers. It's the lone crazy with a gun argument in dumber clothes. There is no rise in domestic terrorism, there is no connection to right-wing white supremacist groups, and there is no pattern of hostility and increasing racial animus that the public is starting to become more and more aware of. Just one nutcase with a grudge. Don't think about it any further.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Rorus Raz posted:

Hold on, could it be that Tinsley is... actually on the right side on this one?

Could things be getting better? Could one of the old guard of lovely Republican echochambering be... recognising the bullshit for what it is... and rejecting it?

Don't you loving ruin this for me, you guys, I want this, I want Tinsley to stop being such a horrendously negative influence, I want him to realise that he's been lied to for decades and to no longer take it.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

Be glad. If a conservative who gave a poo poo was in the paper instead then someone might actually listen to them.
Honestly I was thinking an apolitical cartoonist. They can run Prickly City to placate anyone that hates Doonesbury or, I dunno, is Boondocks still running in papers?

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

Rorus Raz posted:

Honestly I was thinking an apolitical cartoonist. They can run Prickly City to placate anyone that hates Doonesbury or, I dunno, is Boondocks still running in papers?

Boondocks basically faded out of its newspaper run as the animated series spun up. I don't think McGruder is looking to go back to it now that the cartoon is done either.

KillerJunglist
May 22, 2007

Lion of Judah protect you, Jah be praised.

If I read Mallard as nothing more than a terrible reporter who doesn't check his facts and says stupid poo poo on TV all the time the comic seems much better.

Like he's a talking duck, so they keep him on TV as a novelty and people forgive him because hey, "He's just a stupid duck!"

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

KillerJunglist posted:

If I read Mallard as nothing more than a terrible reporter who doesn't check his facts and says stupid poo poo on TV all the time the comic seems much better.

Like he's a talking duck, so they keep him on TV as a novelty and people forgive him because hey, "He's just a stupid duck!"
Sounds like an excellent plot for Howard the Duck 2: The Duck and the Elephant.

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot

Somfin posted:

Hold on, could it be that Tinsley is... actually on the right side on this one?

Could things be getting better? Could one of the old guard of lovely Republican echochambering be... recognising the bullshit for what it is... and rejecting it?

Don't you loving ruin this for me, you guys, I want this, I want Tinsley to stop being such a horrendously negative influence, I want him to realise that he's been lied to for decades and to no longer take it.

man you are really invested in the lore of the politoon thread

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I personally think all the characters are actually in hell.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

zakharov posted:

Nobody could be this loving stupid. He literally said and wrote why he did it.

:(

I thought he just did the notebook.

Were his motives disclosed in any further detail outside of 'Can't get a job or a girl, urge to kill rising'?

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

there wolf posted:

As much as I hate to defend it, I don't think it's quite that dumb. Tinsley isn't talking about the shooter's motivations, but the futility of using them as any kind of reference for the broader culture. He's saying that if the Charleston shooting means America in general has a problem with racism, then the Aurora shooting must mean Americans in general have a problem with theater-goers. It's the lone crazy with a gun argument in dumber clothes. There is no rise in domestic terrorism, there is no connection to right-wing white supremacist groups, and there is no pattern of hostility and increasing racial animus that the public is starting to become more and more aware of. Just one nutcase with a grudge. Don't think about it any further.

And much as I hate to say it, he's right on this one. It really is just a lone nutcase. And all those churches caught fire because of unsafe chicken frying practices.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Fulchrum posted:

At the point conservatives stop being the whiniest people imaginable and not a second beforehand. He can do virtually anything, but as long as there's a group with a persecution complex saying taking him down would be an attack on them, he will stay.

I think a decent letter-writing campaign could force the papers into making Tinsley issue a public apology, though. He'd hate that almost as much as being pulled.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Jedit posted:

I think a decent letter-writing campaign could force the papers into making Tinsley issue a public apology, though. He'd hate that almost as much as being pulled.

Do we really need another series on triggers? cause that'd be all we'd get.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Trabisnikof posted:

Do we really need another series on triggers? cause that'd be all we'd get.

If it was in response to him actually facing consequences to his garbage scribbles, I'd put up with MONTHS of Trigger Warning cartoons.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Remember why he's in there. The papers that use his poo poo are probably the kind that believe 'Well, if it's pissing off those goddamn bleeding hearts, imagine the chuckles it gets from the gentry!'. A letter-writing campaign might well backfire.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Fulchrum posted:

Allie gives a poo poo, no-one listens to him.

No he doesn't. He used to, but he stopped giving a poo poo and just cashes the checks now.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Yeah Allie hasn't really done any national cartoons this year. He just does his local stuff for whatever site and hands in his daily Prickly City strips.

It's kinda sad since he is a talented cartoonist, even if he is a colossal shithead. poo poo, he hasn't even bothered keeping his personal site up-to-date, the last cartoon being posted in April. The comments are just bots trying to sell each other poo poo.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
And this is why I appreciate Muir more than Allie

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Or is it more Muir than Allie

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Alacron posted:

If it was in response to him actually facing consequences to his garbage scribbles, I'd put up with MONTHS of Trigger Warning cartoons.

Because that worked out so well with his DUI.
It'd be 2 weeks of him calling everyone babies and Redacting all of the "engish" language so as not to offend the delicate sensibilities of his readers. Also, trigger warning: he self identifies his comics as satire.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

WarpedNaba posted:

Remember why he's in there. The papers that use his poo poo are probably the kind that believe 'Well, if it's pissing off those goddamn bleeding hearts, imagine the chuckles it gets from the gentry!'. A letter-writing campaign might well backfire.
Stage a letter-writing campaign from the perspective of a bunch of conservatives who want the paper to get rid of Mallard because "it's not like we're liberals or anything, the comics are just utterly unfunny"

madey
Sep 17, 2007

I saved the Olympics singlehandedly
Has anyone put Barry through the google dream thing yet?

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
Has anyone put my arse through the google dream thing yet? I bet it looks SO SPUN OUT

madey
Sep 17, 2007

I saved the Olympics singlehandedly

Starshark posted:

Has anyone put my arse through the google dream thing yet? I bet it looks SO SPUN OUT

That's another image where the output would be less off-putting than the input so go ahead.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Dr.Tree posted:

Remember that time someone edited DbD to be zed and blow up dolls? If there was ever a time to bring back a gimmick it would be for this sad rear end tea party arc. I refuse to do it because I still love some small part of myself.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

You, sir, are a puff of lilac-scented air in a room of egg farts.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

I just did a marathon of James Cameron's Alien movies and nothing in that series was more terrifying then that top strip. :stonk:

Nothing is also funnier then that bottom strip, so hats off sir. :stonkhat:

Hitler B. Natural
Feb 11, 2014

there wolf posted:

As much as I hate to defend it, I don't think it's quite that dumb.

You're right, and all, but a good rule of thumb is that if there's a lower threshold of dumbness a Tinsley cartoon could be reaching, It almost certainly is doing.. Tinsley's razor: the dumbest interpretation is the most likely to be what the cartoonist had in mind. Works for the likes of Branco, Rob Smith Jr, and sometimes Lester and the McCoys too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Thank you for reminding me there is still goodness and decency in the world.

• Locked thread