Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Xenomrph posted:

On that tangent, have they announced Dead Space 4 yet? If not, why not? :colbert:

Dead Space 3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

EmmyOk posted:

Dead Space 3

The correct answer.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

EmmyOk posted:

Dead Space 3
But Dead Space 3 was cool (if different), and the DLC was especially kickass, and EA said the franchise isn't dead. The DLC ended on one hell of a cliffhanger, I wanna know what happens next. <:mad:>

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Some people liked Deadspace, others thought it was too slow and plodding even for a survival horror game.

Some people liked Deadspace 2, others thought it abandoned its horror roots and became too actiony

But this...

Xenomrph posted:

But Dead Space 3 was cool

You might be the only person who thinks this.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I loved the first two Dead Space games, but with EA dropping it and the way the DS3 DLC ended...I was thinking "how could they even do a new game after THAT happened." poo poo we're lucky they even made a Mirror's Edge, you're lucky to get anything from EA non-sports related.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

MinibarMatchman posted:

I loved the first two Dead Space games, but with EA dropping it and the way the DS3 DLC ended...I was thinking "how could they even do a new game after THAT happened." poo poo we're lucky they even made a Mirror's Edge, you're lucky to get anything from EA non-sports related.

The Dead Space on rails Wii game was a blast to play on co-op. Not even remotely scary, but it was hella fun.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Dead Space 3 brought in universal ammo and cover based shooting and that is very bad for a horror survival game. I am all for a game trying new things out to keep things fresh but Dead Space 3 was clearly just "we want to make Gears of War money". I played 3 with a friend and had fun with it but it was not a good Dead Space game.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

EmmyOk posted:

Dead Space 3 brought in universal ammo and cover based shooting and that is very bad for a horror survival game. I am all for a game trying new things out to keep things fresh but Dead Space 3 was clearly just "we want to make Gears of War money". I played 3 with a friend and had fun with it but it was not a good Dead Space game.
That's a fair assessment. There are things I really enjoyed (the setting, the "At the Mountains of Madness" vibe), but I agree that some of the core gameplay elements were a step backward.

I did really, really like the gameplay in the DLC, though. If all of DS3 had been like that DLC, it could have been awesome and scary as gently caress.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Well poo poo now I kinda regret not playing the Dead Space 3 DLC. I wanted nothing to do with the game after I finished the main campaign.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Dead space 3 is cool if just for the ship graveyard part. Hell it even had side quests and legimately spooky parts.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Speedball posted:

Yeah, Dead Space 1 is very good combination of action and horror that don't dilute each other.

Now that you mention it - I have DS for PC lying around somewhere. I remember playing the PS3 demo and getting really stressed out. I might just pick that one up instead. I don't really like stealth-based horror games.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Yodzilla posted:

Well poo poo now I kinda regret not playing the Dead Space 3 DLC. I wanted nothing to do with the game after I finished the main campaign.
Play the DLC, gameplay wise it's much more in line with the first 2 games and it's seriously great.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

DS3's dlc was enormously hosed up in that it ends on one of the biggest "what the gently caress" notes in any game I've played in years. I would have loved them to continue the story if only because they set up such the horror of what was occuring on such a megaton scale

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Dead Space 1 was great for the incredible fear you felt whenever the game gave you loads of health and ammo because it always meant your poo poo was about to be hosed.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Looking for the ps3 siren game- is it basically impossible to find? Saw some copies on eBay for around 30$ a piece but most need to be imported. Was it a pal game only?

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
I still can't believe how poo poo the main story in Dead Space 3 was. 1 & 2 were so drat creepy and atmospheric and sparse on dialog and details (in a good way) and then Dead Space 3 turns you into a space traitor and the majority of the plot revolves around the whiniest love triangle ever.

Captain Yossarian posted:

Looking for the ps3 siren game- is it basically impossible to find? Saw some copies on eBay for around 30$ a piece but most need to be imported. Was it a pal game only?

I mean you could just buy it from PSN. Wasn't this some weird thing where a boxed version was never sold? https://store.playstation.com/#!/en...s3storebundle_1

Also this was made back when developers had no idea how to actually make a PS3 game let alone a downloadable one. It was apparently episodic in Japan but then sold as one bundle in the US but when you launch it there's still like 12 different sub games. And then for some reason they also broke them out into four episode chunks you felt like getting really ripped off and buying them that way. I mean look at this poo poo https://store.playstation.com/#!/en...s3storebundle_1

Yodzilla fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jul 16, 2015

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

EmmyOk posted:

Dead Space 1 was great for the incredible fear you felt whenever the game gave you loads of health and ammo because it always meant your poo poo was about to be hosed.
To be fair that's true of a lot of games, dating back to like Wolf3D and Doom. If your path led you to a mandatory room full of health and weapons/ammo, it meant you were about to have a huge fight.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
I remember a goon who was apparently working on Dead Space 3 around E3 2012 and was talking poo poo about Resident Evil 6. I called them out at the time and got shot down pretty good but I feel vindicated in the long run. (I've only played the demo of RE6 and don't really adore it/care)

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
For what it's worth I'd jump back into Dead Space 3 before ever touching Resident Evil 6 again.

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.
Dead Space 3 was a good action game but a bad horror game.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Dead Space 3 is a total pile of poo poo compared to DS1 and 2. It was only "worth it" as a PS+ freebie.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Speedball posted:

Well, just played "Lifeline" on iOS. It starts off as a survival adventure and gets into horror territory pretty fast. Maybe not a groundbreaking story but a pretty good one, lots of little variables. You're just a voice communicating with a distant astronaut student who crashed on a moon.

I managed to get the best possible ending on the first try but there's a lot of ways to get Taylor killed. Completing the game gave me a fast-forward function (most of the game has hour-long pauses between updates, since you are communicating with Taylor "in real time").

It's a really cool game, and it's pretty good, but one thing I didn't like was Taylor going into snarky writer mode in life-threatening situations and using far too many words to communicate the situation.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Thanks for the heads-up Yodzilla, I saw there was a demo too so I will try that first :)

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

The Vosgian Beast posted:

It's a really cool game, and it's pretty good, but one thing I didn't like was Taylor going into snarky writer mode in life-threatening situations and using far too many words to communicate the situation.

Yeah, that was one of the weaknesses.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Captain Yossarian posted:

Just buy a EU physical copy on ebay, it's cheaper than the US PSN version and the PS3 is region-free.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Silhouette posted:

Just buy a EU physical copy on ebay, it's cheaper than the US PSN version and the PS3 is region-free.

Unless I'm missing something it is 20$ on PSN and physical copies on eBay are 35$+

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Renoistic posted:

Now that you mention it - I have DS for PC lying around somewhere. I remember playing the PS3 demo and getting really stressed out. I might just pick that one up instead. I don't really like stealth-based horror games.

Dead Space isn't stealthy at all, you wade through bodies of multi-armed monsters with gnashing teeth and exploding guts. It's not scary but there's a lot of genuine tension. It's Aliens' action with Alien's atmosphere. Alienses'.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

There's a bundle going on for Dementium 2 HD right now. The screenshots for that don't look terrible, is it any good?

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Skyscraper posted:

There's a bundle going on for Dementium 2 HD right now. The screenshots for that don't look terrible, is it any good?

I liked it better than the first one.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

RadicalR posted:

I liked it better than the first one.

I haven't played the first one, or heard of this game until today.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics
HarshlyCritical got to play a preview version of SOMA. He couldn't upload the full thing, but he did show off a few minutes of unseen gameplay, including underwater segments and another enemy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZoM1BCwa60

Getting real pumped for this game. :getin:

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Skyscraper posted:

I haven't played the first one, or heard of this game until today.
It was DS horror game that got ported to PC with updated graphics but not updated game play. It's not good (unless you were a rube looking for a DS horror game to play on your DS).

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Skyscraper posted:

It was was a shooter originally on the DS. Like, the original DS. It was actually a pretty good novelty there, and it's not a dreadfully awful game outside of that, but it's definitely a 'guilty pleasure' kinda game. It is arguably bad on the PC but the core gameplay works. Even if you don't like it, you can probably recoup the price of the game if you get a foil card.

Kite Pride Worldwide fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jul 17, 2015

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

PhysicsFrenzy posted:

HarshlyCritical got to play a preview version of SOMA. He couldn't upload the full thing, but he did show off a few minutes of unseen gameplay, including underwater segments and another enemy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZoM1BCwa60

Getting real pumped for this game. :getin:

Similarly, RPS got to play through the first three hours.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Alabaster White posted:

It was was a shooter originally on the DS. Like, the original DS. It was actually a pretty good novelty there, and it's not a dreadfully awful game outside of that, but it's definitely a 'guilty pleasure' kinda game. It is arguably bad on the PC but the core gameplay works. Even if you don't like it, you can probably recoup the price of the game if you get a foil card.
Aren't they releasing it on the Nintendo eShop as well? I don't see myself buying it on the PC, but I liked it well enough the first time around on the DS, and I'd be down for getting it on the eShop for my 3DS.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Xenomrph posted:

Aren't they releasing it on the Nintendo eShop as well? I don't see myself buying it on the PC, but I liked it well enough the first time around on the DS, and I'd be down for getting it on the eShop for my 3DS.

That's probably the non HD version with honestly horrible graphics.

We are talking the difference between Original Resident Evil and the REmake in terms of upgraded graphics.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Speedball posted:

That's probably the non HD version with honestly horrible graphics.

We are talking the difference between Original Resident Evil and the REmake in terms of upgraded graphics.
Are you sure? I'll ask around in the 3DS thread, because I'm pretty sure a 3D/HD remake for the Dementium games is in the pipeline, like how the developer did a 3D remake for their other FPS "Moon".

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Hmm. Hard to say. All I know is this:

Dementium II for the DS

Dementium II HD for PC

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Speedball posted:

Hmm. Hard to say. All I know is this:

Dementium II for the DS

Dementium II HD for PC

I found it:

https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/5s0IoRGRNjPDj4DSdJrBPZ0QIsVytsRt

The developer also mentions it on their site:

http://www.renegadekid.com/games.htm

And here's some recent chatter from some news sites:

http://nintendoenthusiast.com/news/exclusive-3d-dementium-remastered-screenshot-for-3ds-with-qr-code/
http://www.destructoid.com/developer-talks-dementium-remastered-for-3ds-293216.phtml

It looks like it's not an HD remake like the PC version, but they're still making it 3D and changing some of the gameplay a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Niggurath posted:

It was DS horror game that got ported to PC with updated graphics but not updated game play. It's not good (unless you were a rube looking for a DS horror game to play on your DS).

Alabaster White posted:

Cool, thanks!