Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

AdjectiveNoun posted:

From my study of Medieval Islamic History, I don't think Shi'ites are opposed to the idea of a Caliphate, per se; the initial split with Sunnis came over disagreements over the line of succession within the Caliphate, though it seems that it's generally been more common for Shia to use the term 'Imam' to denote the leader of a Caliphate-style society, focusing on the spiritual side of their leadership rather than the secular.

Anyone more knowledgeable about that feel free to correct me!

Specifically, though, I was asking if Hannity's claim that Iran wants a Caliphate was ridiculous because:

A. Shias don't believe in a Caliph as leader of the Muslim community, they believe in an Imam

B. The Imam in the Twelver branch that is the majority in Iran is in occultation

Obviously, just an academic exercise. If Sean Hannity had taken a college level intro to Islam course, he wouldn't be the Sean we know and love.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Hopefully someone stabs O'Keefe and his cameraman when they try to do a "sting" to prove all welfare users are on crack or whatever the gently caress and everyone just takes a little too long to call 911 for them to survive.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, Left Behind is a messed up book.

It would be kind of hilarious if the congressional investigation into the PP video turns out that its a complete fake, and because you know, law enforcement and the courts actually do their jobs (sometimes) O'keefe and his crew discredited. I mean, where does it stop? Do they make a grainy video of a guy that looks like Obama enough murdering a white child and drinking its blood?

ACORN was cleared after the video O'Keefe produced was proven to be bullshit, but that didn't discredit anything. O'Keefe's reputation can't get any worse, and the people who agree with him don't care what liberal organizations like the courts and law enforcement think.

Also, don't give them ideas.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

twistedmentat posted:

I mean, where does it stop? Do they make a grainy video of a guy that looks like Obama enough murdering a white child and drinking its blood?

I don't know where it ends, but I hope it's after I get to see that video.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
The media is more interested in controversy than reality. Sucks so many people have to suffer for it.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Nintendo Kid posted:

Hopefully someone stabs O'Keefe and his cameraman when they try to do a "sting" to prove all welfare users are on crack or whatever the gently caress and everyone just takes a little too long to call 911 for them to survive.

Wow, way to assume people on welfare carry knives and will stab you if you cross them.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Republicans posted:

Wow, way to assume people on welfare carry knives and will stab you if you cross them.

They wouldn't be actual people on welfare on course, given his history they'd probably be actors he's paying poo poo money to pretend.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

SalTheBard posted:

This PP thing is turning into ACORN V2

http://huff.to/1TCWxlY

It's cool that the super liberal huffpo takes nearly five full paragraphs to get to the part where the entire pretense of the video is false.

climboutonalimb
Sep 4, 2004

I get knocked down but I get up again You are never going to keep me down
O'Reilly tries to play gotcha with SF city officials. I love this city sometimes.

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/07/san-francisco-officials-brush-off-fox-youre-not-a-reporter-fox-news-is-not-real-news

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Okeefe is already discredited, you're just overestimating how much that means to RWM and its fans.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

I love Billo's title card: "supervisor attacks the messenger"

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

I saw this a few times on Facebook before you mentioned it which is quite impressive.

What's also impressive is that they're making this into another Benghazi situation with the whole "WHAT REALLY HAPPENED!?" They're really going all-in with their pocket 2-7 on this one.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

One of the politically loonier people on my Facebook linked to a state senator's post calling for investigation. The comments, uh, took a weird turn:

quote:

This has been going on for a while, the government knows about it, and this is timed just right...to draw attention to this issue so we'll not see the USA being groomed for martial law. Wake up, America!!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Phone posted:

They're really going all-in with their pocket 2-7 on this one.

It's good for them because it takes heat off things that look bad like the Confederate flag stuff.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

site posted:

It's good for them because it takes heat off things that look bad like the Confederate flag stuff.

What are you talking about? That's the flag of the Democrats.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

RC and Moon Pie posted:

One of the politically loonier people on my Facebook linked to a state senator's post calling for investigation. The comments, uh, took a weird turn:

*snort jerks awake* I'm sorry, what was supposed to rouse America this time? They've been screaming at us for the better for of two decades about "LURKING IMPENDING THREAT" and it is all background noise now.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Jesus Christ, poo poo or get off the pot conspiracy nuts. You don't get to "ANY DAY NOW" this stuff for decades and expect people to keep taking you seriously. If anyone needs to wake up, it's y'all.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
Ahahaha, O'Reilly tried to pin the increase in food stamp recipients on Obama and it loving backfires when the reporter he had on points out the stagnancy in wages despite a stronger economy so he tries covering his rear end by tying it back to Obama. Hot Christ how can anyone stand this guy?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Sir Tonk posted:

Jesus Christ, poo poo or get off the pot conspiracy nuts. You don't get to "ANY DAY NOW" this stuff for decades and expect people to keep taking you seriously. If anyone needs to wake up, it's y'all.

No see, it's always true, but brave people who bring such plans to light mess with the conditions needed for full UN takeover, so that the plans always have to be deferred or canceled.

Also, I hope O'Keefe and his associates have their skin slogh off before they drown in their own bile. Just putting that out there.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Dr. Killjoy posted:

Ahahaha, O'Reilly tried to pin the increase in food stamp recipients on Obama and it loving backfires when the reporter he had on points out the stagnancy in wages despite a stronger economy so he tries covering his rear end by tying it back to Obama. Hot Christ how can anyone stand this guy?

It's exactly what O'Reilly watchers believe. O'Reilly made that reporter look like an idiot by pointing out how it was all Obama's fault in the first place. O'Reilly is almost infallible, I (not ironically) think it has a lot to do with the "no spin zone" slogan.

Obama bad.

Mister Adequate posted:

No see, it's always true, but brave people who bring such plans to light mess with the conditions needed for full UN takeover, so that the plans always have to be deferred or canceled.

Also, I hope O'Keefe and his associates have their skin slogh off before they drown in their own bile. Just putting that out there.

It's important to note that the only reason the conspiracy fails is that the conspiracy theorists upset the plans. When Jade Helm doesn't end in a UN invasion of Real America it'll be because heroes like Ted Cruz just barely frustrated their plans.

It's a little like creation-evolution debates. You can't prove it wrong, because for the audience the act of proving it wrong itself is more evidence in favor.

Also Megyn Kelly shut down a guest debunking the Planned Parenthood video with "you're wrong," no further explanation :allears:

James Garfield fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jul 16, 2015

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Okeefe is already discredited, you're just overestimating how much that means to RWM and its fans.

Made toxic where no one would come near him then?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Man doesn't Fox News screen their guests better in the off-chance they'll actually disagree with them on air and interrupt the party line with actual discussion?

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

William Bear posted:

Specifically, though, I was asking if Hannity's claim that Iran wants a Caliphate was ridiculous because:

A. Shias don't believe in a Caliph as leader of the Muslim community, they believe in an Imam

B. The Imam in the Twelver branch that is the majority in Iran is in occultation

Obviously, just an academic exercise. If Sean Hannity had taken a college level intro to Islam course, he wouldn't be the Sean we know and love.
You are correct that Caliphates are largely a Sunni thing, rather than a Shia one. The Shia also don't rrally have anything equivalent to the idea of a global caliphate, which was Hannity's fear.

The majority of Shias consider themselves quietists, often following the statements of Grand Ayatollah Ali al Sistani. The quietists are of the opinion that no mere mortal can establish rulership over the Shia, which is why they are waiting for the twelfth imam to show up and lead them. They will obviously fight as necessary, but I've yet to hear any Shia leader espouse any desire to establish anything related to a global caliphate. So Hannity's claim is absurd, particularly as Iran has never shown itself to be anything other than a rational actor in foreign policy, and doesn't show any interest in world domination.

There was one interesting Twelver cult that called themselves the "soldiers of the sky." They believed that by committing violent acts they could bring about the end of the world and force the twelfth Imam to reveal himself. I'm not sure they are still around, but they are the closest thing to Hannity's fears.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
If anything Saudi Arabia fits the bill better, because they've been extremely aggressive at spreading Wahhabism through any means necessary, including funding ultraconservative terrorism.

crusader_complex
Jun 4, 2012

site posted:

which takes the heat off the shooting and church burnings

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

William Bear posted:

It's complicated - there was a Shi'a Caliphate under the Fatamid dynasty, controlling Egypt and most of the Levant, but they were Ismali Shia, not Twelvers like modern Iranians. The Fatamid Caliphate fell apart in the twelfth century, and there really wasn't a powerful Shia state after that until the Safavids rose to power in Persia in the sixteenth century, and by that point, the idea of a Caliphate wasn't anywhere as important to Muslim political philosophy - the Abbasids had been basically a joke for centuries, and while the Ottomans claimed the title, they never really did much with it.

But basically, yeah, you're right - the Imams are Muhammad's spiritual heirs, so even when there was a Shia claimant to the Caliphate, they didn't have the same authority as they would under Sunni doctrine. And since Shi'a Islam in Iran developed during a period where the title of Caliph wasn't particularly relevant or prestigious, the concept isn't really an important part of the modern Twelver philosophy.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

site posted:

Don't worry, they'll find a way to bring it back.

quote:

OKLAHOMA CITY – Confederate battle flags greeted President Barack Obama as he arrived here for an overnight stay on Wednesday.

Across the street from his hotel in downtown Oklahoma City, as many as 10 people waved the flags as his motorcade arrived. The group stood among a larger group of demonstrators, many of there to support the president, who is in town ahead of a visit to a federal prison on Thursday as part of his week-long push on criminal justice issues.

According to local news organizations, a man who calls himself the “black rebel” named Andrew Duncomb organized the Confederate flag demonstration. He also put together a similar protest on Saturday at the Oklahoma State Capitol – just a day after South Carolina removed its contested flag from the State Capitol grounds. His Facebook page features photos from that rally.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Epic High Five posted:

Man doesn't Fox News screen their guests better in the off-chance they'll actually disagree with them on air and interrupt the party line with actual discussion?

O'Reilly's show isn't live, so they get to do all the editing needed to make sure he gets countered every so often, but always wins in the end!

Leofish posted:

Don't worry, they'll find a way to bring it back.

According to local news organizations, a man who calls himself the “black rebel” named Andrew Duncomb organized the Confederate flag demonstration. He also put together a similar protest on Saturday at the Oklahoma State Capitol – just a day after South Carolina removed its contested flag from the State Capitol grounds. His Facebook page features photos from that rally.

Does every state have their own personal Uncle Ruckus?

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Every time I see stories like these, I get more and more depressed :sigh:

Regarding James O'Keefe: I know that he got arrested for trying to wiretap a senator's office, but I read that he only got probation. How on earth is that possible? How was he not thrown in even a minimum security prison for that?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

fart blood posted:

Regarding James O'Keefe: I know that he got arrested for trying to wiretap a senator's office, but I read that he only got probation. How on earth is that possible? How was he not thrown in even a minimum security prison for that?

He didn't do anything dangerous like have a couple grams of weed on his person so he got a slap on the wrist

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Epic High Five posted:

He didn't do anything dangerous like have a couple grams of weed on his person so he got a slap on the wrist

He's also white. Which probably helped out too.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

fart blood posted:

It was a joke! He was just joshing around! You know that classic prank of wiretapping a sitting senator, it's like right up there with tying someone's shoe laces together.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

"You're not real news" shouldn't be a controversial statement for Fox since they argued that very thing in court during the Jane Akre trial.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
http://www.thenewcivilrightsmovement.com/davidbadash/breaking_duggar_family_s_19_kids_and_counting_officially_canceled_by_tlc

Its official. 19 and Counting is dead, like we all knew it would be.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Drastic Actions posted:

He's also white. Which probably helped out too.

It's probably mostly Team Politics. Also I think his daddy has some minor money/political pull.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
Oops, nevermind, I'm completely wrong.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Epic High Five posted:

It's no big deal if they disagree. Fox isn't trying to change the minds of people who rationally evaluate arguments, they're trying to appeal to Fox News viewers.
When right-wing hosts shout over guests and respond to a reasoned counter argument with "no" their audience eats that right up. You have to remember that when a guest comes on, explains why the host is wrong about something, and the host calls them an idiot, that is absolutely a win for the host.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Honestly anyone that goes on a Fox News show with an opinion opposing whatever the standard GOP line is is just asking for that sort of thing and I'm not really sure what they expect to do. The only ones I can really think of that got the better of them were those dudes that just went "YOU MAD!" and treated O'Reilly with the respect he deserves (none).

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

I had a moment of panic when I saw the url "thenewcivilrightsmovement" and "19 and counting dead".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Periodiko posted:

I had a moment of panic when I saw the url "thenewcivilrightsmovement" and "19 and counting dead".

Same here. I thought we had another Charleston or something.