Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

PleasantDirge posted:

And Narsetwalker pre-ordered at $50 and is now $10...

It's not even you McMagic, it's the last three pages of pointless super standard speculation that have been slowly killing us all like a Co2 leak.

In non brain damage related magic info I finished two things this week and I am really happy:

I completed my play set of fetches instead of what I did during rtr block which was trade away my rare lands for dumb creature cards that turn out to not be good and rotate out of standard. I was immediately rewarded by the B/W tokens deck that I wanted to build and Frank Lepore posted on Monday having a mana base of mostly fetches, wind brisk heights, and godless shrines (which is a part of my next set of acquisitions, shock lands!). So it feels good to not be wasting money and actually moving towards being able to play a variety of modern decks instead of flushing money down the toilet the long hard way with standard.

Second on MODO I built the B/W tokens deck AND a standard rabble master/pile driver deck that I just need to buy goblin guides for to turn it into a modern possible brew. If anyone wants to jam some modern games and have some free wins while I figure stuff out lmk. I watched cifka play his pt frf deck but only against Cheon's Abzan deck and I usually like to watch more play footage before I take the nestea plunge

I only paid 20 for my Narset's and I still believe that she's going to be good at some point while she's in Standard. I played her in Jeskai and she was very good. I just can't see Liliana or Jace being good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dohaeris
Mar 24, 2012

Often known as SniperGuy
Have you guys used pucatrade before? May try to swap my kytheons for Jace or something, seemed like a good way to do it. Good experiences?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Dohaeris posted:

Have you guys used pucatrade before? May try to swap my kytheons for Jace or something, seemed like a good way to do it. Good experiences?

I've transferred over $1500 of cards in and out using Pucatrade. I've never had any significant issue. You essentially have to run a page monitor plugin to move any cards, however, as cards get picked up by people wanting to earn credit in under 10 seconds.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

mcmagic posted:

I only paid 20 for my Narset's and I still believe that she's going to be good at some point while she's in Standard. I played her in Jeskai and she was very good. I just can't see Liliana or Jace being good.

I don't know about Lili beyond Modern as a CoCo one-of maybe, but it's not hard to find a place for Jace. It'll depend what's in BFZ but card selection is powerful, and having a real card advantage ability on top of that is strong for a standard two drop.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

TheKingofSprings posted:

I don't know about Lili beyond Modern as a CoCo one-of maybe, but it's not hard to find a place for Jace. It'll depend what's in BFZ but card selection is powerful, and having a real card advantage ability on top of that is strong for a standard two drop.

Honestly, I could see Jace in a Jeskai Ascendancy deck. You get two loots per spell and can flashback another spell to further pump your tokens/weenies.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

AlternateNu posted:

Honestly, I could see Jace in a Jeskai Ascendancy deck. You get two loots per spell and can flashback another spell to further pump your tokens/weenies.

You can do that once or twice and then Jace Flips and becomes even worse than an 0/2 Looter for 2.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

mcmagic posted:

Narset is never going to be good in standard. Full stop. Even if you go full creatureless UWx (protip: that would be terrible) her +1 is a blank a significant amount of the time. Her -2 can be good if you have a spell and if she lives long enough for you to play it and if after that you live to next turn to have it rebound. And even after all that, there's still planeswalkers in those colors I would vastly prefer over Narset. Hell, I would rather have Jace over her because he comes in two turns earlier, does a better job of drawing cards, and his -3 is very similar (potentially better because you can play your poo poo whenever you want and then bring it back when he flips). And if Origins is any indication, BFZ is going to be a much faster format, which is exactly the opposite of what Narset would need to be viable. She's going to be $10 while she's in standard because of price memory and some t2-3 fringe play, and then drop to Vraska/Tibalt prices as soon as she rotates.

Liliana I think might turn out to be good if we get something even halfway efficient for sacrifice, either something with "sac me: get something worthwhile" or an innocent blood type spell. If not, she might see play beside Sidisi and some of the better exploit creatures or possibly even a Bx aggro deck for disruption/recursion.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

PleasantDirge posted:

It's not even you McMagic, it's the last three pages of pointless super standard speculation that have been slowly killing us all like a Co2 leak.
Yes, let us stop discussing Magic: the Gathering in the Magic: the Gathering thread so we can return to talking about rapists or whatever insane person topic you think should be going on the day before a new Standard-legal set releases.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Angry Grimace posted:

Yes, let us stop discussing Magic: the Gathering in the Magic: the Gathering thread so we can return to talking about rapists or whatever insane person topic you think should be going on the day before a new Standard-legal set releases.

Rare re-drafting, great way to to draft prize out or greatest way to do draft pay out?

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Madmarker posted:

Rare re-drafting, great way to to draft prize out or greatest way to do draft pay out?

10/10 would read troll posts from again.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Magic drama produces more fun content than talking about magic ever will. I mean if we could get this much drama in the x wangs thread id be all over it too.

For now we can behold the glory of games workshop crumbling. :evilbuddy:

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Chill la Chill posted:

For now we can behold the glory of games workshop crumbling. :evilbuddy:

Wait whut?

I'm about to pass out but I look forward to the response and/or other forum links in the morning. Sounds interesting.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Would this be too powerful?

RRR
Instant
~ deals 2 damage to each creature. If a creature dealt damage by ~ would die this turn, exile it instead.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

AlternateNu posted:

RRR
Instant
~ deals 2 damage to each creature. If a creature dealt damage by ~ would die this turn, exile it instead.

My guess is that it would be 1RRR just because they don't print many instant speed sweepers.

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

Dohaeris posted:

I love puca. It tales a little patience, especially when you're getting started, but it's a great way to turn draft leavings into playable decks. You do have to put some time into it though, but you can pretty easily multi-task like keeping a tab open and checking it regularly for opportunities to ship out cards to build your point balance. I've been using it since last November and in that time I've put together a goods pool of RW and Jeskai playables for standard, upgraded my modem event deck with shocks and thoughtseizes, and am getting really close to completing my full playset of all shocks/ktk fetches. Just from mailing out my draft leavings and the good rares/foils from a box of mm15.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

AlternateNu posted:

RRR
Instant

1 less damage on Anger of the Gods to make it instant? It would be good but they probably wouldn't print it because Sorcery speed sweepers play better.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

So, if I decide to ruin my life and finances and get into this poo poo for reals. Unlike the other dude, I did a pre-release last week and that was fun. I would like to maybe work my way up to having a decent Standard deck, and I realize that there's a set rotation in progress so is it a legit idea to just start by buying like an Origins Fat Pack for the land and some base cards, maybe one of each of those colored starter decks and work my way up from there?

What's the approx amount of stuff I need to buy in addition if I want to start making some competitive standard decks? I have basically no useful cards except the leftovers from a few random drafts at conventions I did over the years when I was bored.

I don't think I can do drafts here, it looks like all the stores in NYC are geared towards unemployed or kids since they all start from 4-6pm or something and there ain't no way I can leave work at 4pm or make it to a store all the way across the city by 6 but the Standard game seems to start at 7 and I can probably make that so that's what I'm trying to focus on.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Dehtraen posted:

So, someone went on TCGPlayer and bought every copy of Jace, Vryn's Prodigy below $15. Good ol' magic finance...

It's now $20, so this person has succeeded.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
It's just going to be easier to buy a deck. Feel free to draft a few times to pick up some lands and a few rares top grease the wheels, but unless you're some savant deck builder then it'll just be easier to wait until the next set has been out for a week or two and steal an established list.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

RRR
Instant

Volcanic Fallout exists, costs 1RR and is uncounterable, so probably not?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

If the question is 'does standard need another sweeper' the answer is no

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Irony Be My Shield posted:

If the question is 'does standard need another sweeper' the answer is no

Only if that sweeper costs 2WW.

Dohaeris
Mar 24, 2012

Often known as SniperGuy
How expensive is shipping a few MTG cards from the US to say, England or Greece? Have some stuff for Pucatrade but no one seems to be wanting what I have in the same country. edit: Canada is probably cheap, right?

Dohaeris fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jul 16, 2015

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Angry Grimace posted:

My guess is that it would be 1RRR just because they don't print many instant speed sweepers.

2RR, 3 damage instead if cast on your main phase.

Bring back main phase instants (also sulfurous blast) :(

Telex posted:

I don't think I can do drafts here, it looks like all the stores in NYC are geared towards unemployed or kids since they all start from 4-6pm or something and there ain't no way I can leave work at 4pm or make it to a store all the way across the city by 6 but the Standard game seems to start at 7 and I can probably make that so that's what I'm trying to focus on.

IIRC Montasy Comics does draft and standard at 7pm but they are like super packed cuz I mean it's midtown.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jul 16, 2015

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

TheKingofSprings posted:

Volcanic Fallout exists, costs 1RR and is uncounterable, so probably not?

Holy poo poo. I never realized Volcanic Fallout was an instant. :doh: (Never played during Alara and never drafted it in Conspiracy.)

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

Telex posted:

What's the approx amount of stuff I need to buy in addition if I want to start making some competitive standard decks?

Opening packs is always always throwing money away in the long run. Buying the singles you want is the money-smart way to do it.

It sounds worse what with each mythic you want being $15-$30 and you need 6 of them and 14 $6 rares, but the money you'd spend buying packs trying to open those cards would be astronomically larger.

I'd wait until rotation, then find a decklist that is as competitive as you want to be, (fun and cheap vs good and expensive), and then hop on tcgplayer.com and order what you need.

Lands can be reused as you switch decklists, so don't balk at their price tags cause you'll only have to buy them once.

Dohaeris
Mar 24, 2012

Often known as SniperGuy
For me, getting into a red deck was the easiest. Effective and cheap, with lots of ways to upgrade.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Zoness posted:

2RR, 3 damage instead if cast on your main phase.

Bring back main phase instants (also sulfurous blast) :(

Fated Retribution sort of worked like that.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

End of Life Guy posted:

Opening packs is always always throwing money away in the long run. Buying the singles you want is the money-smart way to do it.

It sounds worse what with each mythic you want being $15-$30 and you need 6 of them and 14 $6 rares, but the money you'd spend buying packs trying to open those cards would be astronomically larger.

I'd wait until rotation, then find a decklist that is as competitive as you want to be, (fun and cheap vs good and expensive), and then hop on tcgplayer.com and order what you need.

Lands can be reused as you switch decklists, so don't balk at their price tags cause you'll only have to buy them once.

To put it more simply: either you spend $300 buying a deck online, or you spend $300 on sealed product and end up with $150 worth of cards which you don't want most of.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
You nerds like cats?

I volunteer at a cat adoption center called The Long Island Feline Adoption Center (LIFAC), and the owner of my LGS is also a big cat guy, so I had the idea to run a charity tournament to benefit the adoption center. If you're in the area, come out and draft to help cats!

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
I would generally avoid buying fat packs, though they provide you with a spindown dice and a nice box to hold UltraPro large deckboxes in (two at a time), in addition to a set of basic lands. They aren't a bad purchase, but I would really only recommend buying one at most and putting the rest of your money towards singles, as others have said.

In terms of cheap decks that are effective, red is pretty great (almost ridiculously so, considering the relative cost of a deck like Esper Dragons or Abzan Midrange); it wouldn't cost you much (again, relatively) to buy a playset of the following right now:

4x Monastery Swiftspear
4x Goblin Glory-Chaser
4x Dragon Fodder
4x Hordeling Outburst
4x Lightning Berserker
4x Goblin Heelcutter
4x Zurgo Bellstriker
4x Mardu Scout
4x Subterranean Scout
4x Wild Slash
4x Roast
4x Rending Volley
4x Infectious Bloodlust
4x Call of the Full Moon
4x Flamewake Phoenix
20x Mountains

While you probably don't need to get everything on that list, nor even an entire playset of some cards, I can guarantee you that the above cards will not only all be legal after rotation, but will also be useful. Probably the most expensive card among them is maybe the Swiftspears, at only $2.50 on StarCityGames right now (though you can find them for even cheaper elsewhere). Start putting some money towards cards like Goblin Piledriver, Atarka's Command, and Wooded Foothills, and you have a pretty strong base for a red aggro deck after rotation.

bhsman fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jul 16, 2015

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

BJPaskoff posted:

You nerds like cats?

I volunteer at a cat adoption center called The Long Island Feline Adoption Center (LIFAC), and the owner of my LGS is also a big cat guy, so I had the idea to run a charity tournament to benefit the adoption center. If you're in the area, come out and draft to help cats!

Get Ms. Longmore to promote it :v:

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

bhsman posted:

I would generally avoid buying fat packs, though they provide you with a spindown dice

I'll be honest this really isn't a plus unless you really want a cool looking d20 but there are weird people who say spindowns aren't good for rolling (like I am talking from personal experience at GPs and LGS's). On the life counter side, people should really get used to keeping track of life with pen and paper and beyond that even taking notes mid game. Like sure at LGS level there's nothing preventing you from taking a photo of your opponents hand on a thoughtseize but note taking is useful beyond that like as an improvement tool.

That said I've noticed different players have preferences with regards to determining who goes first but there seems to be a tendency for people to opt for 2d6 high roll in people I play against and I never suggest a method. Is this a regional thing or just some kind of established norm or just some sampling bias on my part?

Zoness fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jul 16, 2015

Dohaeris
Mar 24, 2012

Often known as SniperGuy

Zoness posted:

I'll be honest this really isn't a plus unless you really want a cool looking d20 but there are weird people who say spindowns aren't good for rolling (like I am talking from personal experience at GPs and LGS's). On the life counter side, people should really get used to keeping track of life with pen and paper and beyond that even taking notes mid game. Like sure at LGS level there's nothing preventing you from taking a photo of your opponents hand on a thoughtseize but note taking is useful beyond that like as an improvement tool.

I've heard Spindowns are weighted and not actually random like a normal d20. Is this not true?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Their layout makes it easier to get desired results.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

please not dice chat

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I too have heard about weightedness and manipulation but I haven't really thought about those claims as more than hearsay but I defer to the opinions of others when xd6 is something almost everyone agrees to.

That said I remember reading something someone (Sperling I think?) wrote where it would really make a nonzero amount of sense if WER when giving pairings also just picked who goes first.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Dohaeris posted:

I've heard Spindowns are weighted and not actually random like a normal d20. Is this not true?

It's not a matter of weighting, it's just possible to fake roll spin downs to guarantee it lands with the high side up

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Dohaeris posted:

They are not lopsided, it's that the numbers are all next to each other. Regular dice are numbered so that any particular hemisphere has exactly half the total numbers on them, whereas spindowns have a hemisphere that is 11+ and one that is 10-.

If both players are using the same dice it's irrelevant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Yeah, I would 1) Never recommend you use spindowns to determine who goes first, just get some d6's or roshambo for it; and 2) Highly recommend just taking some notes down. That said, I still carry spindowns for opponents without them OR paper for notes so they can keep track of life alongside me and we can compare if there's a discrepancy. That said, some people like spindowns, so I just thought to mention it.

• Locked thread