Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

2d6 is terrible and causes many rerolls due to 7s. Just call even/odd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Chill la Chill posted:

People really see this as an issue?

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

Chill la Chill posted:

Protip

Even/odd is where it's at.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Chill la Chill posted:

I do 3d6. :evilbuddy:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Yes it's annoying. In every other game you just toss a coin and call heads/tails idk how magic latched on to a bad method of declaring starting player

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Sickening posted:

People really see this as an issue?

Annoying people. I always roll 2 d6's even when my opponent offers 3 lol

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

mcmagic posted:

Annoying people. I always roll 2 d6's even when my opponent offers 3 lol

Wow you're a true rebel.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
2d6 is dumb but everyone does it for some nonsense reason.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
d12 low roll :colbert:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
This takes people on average what, a whole 5 seconds to figure out who goes first even if you tie every once in a while? People who play magic bitch about the dumbest things.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
If you're not using rock lobster/paper tiger/scissors lizard to decide who goes first then you are using an inferior method.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Sickening posted:

This takes people on average what, a whole 5 seconds to figure out who goes first even if you tie every once in a while? People who play magic bitch about the dumbest things.

People have weird ideas about what is and isn't a 50% chance.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

At my store, we decide who goes first with a quick game of Warlord: Saga of the Storm.

Which kinda ruins the joke, considering that nobody 'goes first' in Warlord, it's all decided within the game (rolling for initiative at the start of the turn)

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
I have way more experience in keeping rolling dice on the table whereas I'm more worried about a coin flipping away, oddly enough. Whatever works best for the individual is fine, though.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
when i was a wee tot we'd cut our decks and whoever cut to a higher CMC card would go first

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

black potus posted:

when i was a wee tot we'd cut our decks and whoever cut to a higher CMC card would go first

This, but lands were worth 6.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Zoness posted:

That said I remember reading something someone (Sperling I think?) wrote where it would really make a nonzero amount of sense if WER when giving pairings also just picked who goes first.

This sounds like a better idea the more I think about it.

Usually if I don't have a die handy I will grab a random card, land, or token lying around and have my opponent guess if the collector number is odd or even.

Paper Triangle
Jul 27, 2004

more dog than your dog
okay so i was intrigued by pucatrade chat so i set up an account and i'm a little hesitant. i don't have a lot to offer yet, but i do seem to have some things people want and it seems like my shipping costs are only going to be around 15-20c per card, but how does receiving cards work? do you put things on your want list and just suddenly start receiving them? that seems really weird to me, especially given that i'm not sure what i want yet. any advice on how i should be using this?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
The reason people don't like even/odd is that they like to feel as though they have some control over their own fate.

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012

Paper Triangle posted:

okay so i was intrigued by pucatrade chat so i set up an account and i'm a little hesitant. i don't have a lot to offer yet, but i do seem to have some things people want and it seems like my shipping costs are only going to be around 15-20c per card, but how does receiving cards work? do you put things on your want list and just suddenly start receiving them? that seems really weird to me, especially given that i'm not sure what i want yet. any advice on how i should be using this?

Think of your wantlist as a set of bounties. You post them, other people fulfil them (mail you the cards), and you conclude the trade. It's pretty straightforward and low-friction to be honest, although if you're concerned about price spikes it might make sense not to have too many points in your account. Mostly PucaPoints are a discrete way of representing value. Getting your bulk rares into your Haves list (there's an .xml import feature if you already have a list) will let you pick up extra value on trades by sending multiple cards in the same letter.

As for how to use it, I'd vote aggressively. There's a reasonably-sized group of people using scripts to refresh their Trades page, and you may not be able to send cards if they're always beating you to the punch. If you're frustrated after a while and want to join them, PucaPower is the tool you want.

When it comes to how you interact with the system, think about what is and isn't worth mailing out to you. Some people arrive at different thresholds here (i've been mailed $0.25 cards before) but you should have a heuristic already decided and then just operate under it. It can totally change over time but small trades can be a bit of a hassle if you have a few higher-valued cards. Overall though it's a pretty sweet service and I've been pleased with it.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Madmarker posted:

Rare re-drafting, great way to to draft prize out or greatest way to do draft pay out?

Last year I attended a rare re-draft event at my LGS. The owner is a pretty fat nerd with terrible body odor and a fedora, but he seemed to really like the idea so I said whatever.

I opened a Brimaz and left with a Birds of Paradise =(

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Rare redrafting is a great way to never get any new players to come to your store.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Lets Pickle posted:

This sounds like a better idea the more I think about it.

Usually if I don't have a die handy I will grab a random card, land, or token lying around and have my opponent guess if the collector number is odd or even.

Yeah having it give you the first player choice during pairings would be better. Collector number is skewed to favor odd.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

BJPaskoff posted:

The reason people don't like even/odd is that they like to feel as though they have some control over their own fate.

with dice?

that's literally not how dice work

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Sigma-X posted:

with dice?

Clearly you have never seen people and dice interact.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Sigma-X posted:

with dice?

I think he means the binary 50/50 outcome rather than with a range of results.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

I have a large collection of challenge coins from various dumb things that I always have on me. I took one with me this weekend and about half the people were like "no lets just use dice" and I thought that was the strangest loving thing ever.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon
if you don't use a 1d100 like this then you're wrong

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

if you don't use a 1d100 like this then you're wrong

Hell yea!

Foreskin Problems
Nov 4, 2012

It's doing fine, actually.

Telex posted:

I don't think I can do drafts here, it looks like all the stores in NYC are geared towards unemployed or kids since they all start from 4-6pm or something and there ain't no way I can leave work at 4pm or make it to a store all the way across the city by 6 but the Standard game seems to start at 7 and I can probably make that so that's what I'm trying to focus on.

Sounds like you need to make a trip to my local store in the Bronx, Fordham Comics. Some highlights:

The gooniest minorities you will ever meet
Outrageous misogyny and homophobia
No air conditioning
Walls packed with non-working arcade machines that the owner won't get rid of
The toilet gets flushed at the end of the night with a bucket (sometimes! haha!)

Prices are fair and the owner breaks Wizards' street dates by 3-4 days, though. Kind of evens out.

I need to start playing MTGO.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Foreskin Problems posted:

Sounds like you need to make a trip to my local store in the Bronx, Fordham Comics. Some highlights:

The toilet gets flushed at the end of the night with a bucket (sometimes! haha!)
I guess this explains your username.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

Foreskin Problems posted:

Ughhhh.

I went to Twenty Sided in Williamsburg and the experience was pretty nice and they under sold the event on purpose so it wasn't cheek to cheek sweaty nerds and things were pretty chill.

I was expecting the worst, it wasn't too bad! Yours sounds a lot more like what I was expecting based on my time playing Magic in the 90's with primarily unemployed dudes and college kids.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Telex posted:

Ughhhh.

I went to Twenty Sided in Williamsburg and the experience was pretty nice and they under sold the event on purpose so it wasn't cheek to cheek sweaty nerds and things were pretty chill.

I was expecting the worst, it wasn't too bad! Yours sounds a lot more like what I was expecting based on my time playing Magic in the 90's with primarily unemployed dudes and college kids.

My friend runs events at Brooklyn Strategist. Need to decide where I want to start playing the most. Part of me just wants to host 7 people at my kitchen table after buying a box. Split the cost, open the packs to draft, extra packs are the prize pool. Won't be too lucrative, but should be fun.

Paper Triangle
Jul 27, 2004

more dog than your dog

a dozen swans posted:

Think of your wantlist as a set of bounties. You post them, other people fulfil them (mail you the cards), and you conclude the trade. It's pretty straightforward and low-friction to be honest, although if you're concerned about price spikes it might make sense not to have too many points in your account. Mostly PucaPoints are a discrete way of representing value. Getting your bulk rares into your Haves list (there's an .xml import feature if you already have a list) will let you pick up extra value on trades by sending multiple cards in the same letter.

As for how to use it, I'd vote aggressively. There's a reasonably-sized group of people using scripts to refresh their Trades page, and you may not be able to send cards if they're always beating you to the punch. If you're frustrated after a while and want to join them, PucaPower is the tool you want.

When it comes to how you interact with the system, think about what is and isn't worth mailing out to you. Some people arrive at different thresholds here (i've been mailed $0.25 cards before) but you should have a heuristic already decided and then just operate under it. It can totally change over time but small trades can be a bit of a hassle if you have a few higher-valued cards. Overall though it's a pretty sweet service and I've been pleased with it.

thanks for this, but i'm still not sure i understand it. i'll give an example. i have 500 points just from signing up and filling out my profile. i have one yavimaya coast (not listed for trade) and i want three more. i search for it and add it to my want list and notice it's 182 points. does this mean that anyone with a yavimaya coast can claim the bounty and mail me one? are the points then deducted from my total immediately and held in escrow until i confirm receipt of the card or something? is there a way i can control quantity? i don't want more than 4 total, but if i had enough points people could just keep sending them to me over and over right?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Nephzinho posted:

My friend runs events at Brooklyn Strategist. Need to decide where I want to start playing the most. Part of me just wants to host 7 people at my kitchen table after buying a box. Split the cost, open the packs to draft, extra packs are the prize pool. Won't be too lucrative, but should be fun.

I did this when Conspiracy came out except we could only muster a five-player draft, so now I have 21 Conspiracy packs burning a hole in my closet and I'm praying I can find a BYOP draft or something around here. Normally I'd say gently caress it and crack them but not with Conspiracy (plus I pulled a Dack when drafting from it so what are the odds I can find another?)

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Paper Triangle posted:

thanks for this, but i'm still not sure i understand it. i'll give an example. i have 500 points just from signing up and filling out my profile. i have one yavimaya coast (not listed for trade) and i want three more. i search for it and add it to my want list and notice it's 182 points. does this mean that anyone with a yavimaya coast can claim the bounty and mail me one? are the points then deducted from my total immediately and held in escrow until i confirm receipt of the card or something? is there a way i can control quantity? i don't want more than 4 total, but if i had enough points people could just keep sending them to me over and over right?

You only receive the number you list on your "Want List". The points are then held in escrow until you confirm the trade has been completed.

Drider-Man
Jan 30, 2007

Drider-Man, Drider-Man
Does some things that a drider can.
Can he swing from a web?
Ask your DM

Paper Triangle posted:

You add the card for each copy you want and whenever someone clicks send the card gets removed from your want list. In this case you would put Yavimaya Coast on your want list 3 times, and with enough points you would get 3 copies.

The points for what you're being sent work exactly like you said.

Edit: beaten.

Paper Triangle
Jul 27, 2004

more dog than your dog
oh, that makes a lot more sense. if i have two of a card, that means i should list it twice too right?

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

Paper Triangle posted:

oh, that makes a lot more sense. if i have two of a card, that means i should list it twice too right?

P much this. I like Luca but for anything worth more than $15-20 and I add tracking so I don't get shmooed and that usually rates about $2.54 per envelope where I am in the Midwest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

bhsman posted:

I would generally avoid buying fat packs, though they provide you with a spindown dice and a nice box to hold UltraPro large deckboxes in (two at a time), in addition to a set of basic lands. They aren't a bad purchase, but I would really only recommend buying one at most and putting the rest of your money towards singles, as others have said.

In terms of cheap decks that are effective, red is pretty great (almost ridiculously so, considering the relative cost of a deck like Esper Dragons or Abzan Midrange); it wouldn't cost you much (again, relatively) to buy a playset of the following right now:

4x Monastery Swiftspear
4x Goblin Glory-Chaser
4x Dragon Fodder
4x Hordeling Outburst
4x Lightning Berserker
4x Goblin Heelcutter
4x Zurgo Bellstriker
4x Mardu Scout
4x Subterranean Scout
4x Wild Slash
4x Roast
4x Rending Volley
4x Infectious Bloodlust
4x Call of the Full Moon
4x Flamewake Phoenix
20x Mountains

While you probably don't need to get everything on that list, nor even an entire playset of some cards, I can guarantee you that the above cards will not only all be legal after rotation, but will also be useful. Probably the most expensive card among them is maybe the Swiftspears, at only $2.50 on StarCityGames right now (though you can find them for even cheaper elsewhere). Start putting some money towards cards like Goblin Piledriver, Atarka's Command, and Wooded Foothills, and you have a pretty strong base for a red aggro deck after rotation.

I like fat packs because they come with the booklet. Really.

• Locked thread