Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

seravid posted:

Mediocre. Terrible, awful software coupled with a screen too demanding for the SoC. Some QA issues (hairline cracks near microphone and IR). Cyanogen gives you a stable, fairly bug-free UI, which replaces the "mediocre" rating up to a solid "meh, guess it's fine until the N6 sells for 300€".

I wouldn't buy it today for more than 200.

Ah that sucks. I've got a Droid Maxx that refuses to update to Lollipop and I wanted to try a not Samsung. I'd totally get an Xperia but they hold their value so strongly. Haven't even found a Z2 under $300

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Hey, so I ended up with a spare N6 tempered glass screen protector, from xtremeguard.com. They sent me two by mistake. I had a phone debacle that ended up with me not having an N6 any more, so if anyone wants it, PM me. Just PP me a couple bucks or whatever for shipping and I'll throw it in the mail.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

nigga crab pollock posted:

my 2013 moto x occasionally makes a few loud popping noises from the speaker, usually when I unlock it and press a button. It doesn't seem to do it often but its definitely odd when it does. it sounds like a weird impedance problem or a short or whatever.

I'm not super concerned since it doesn't seem to have any effect on the phone and the speaker still works but has that happened to anyone else?

My galaxy nexus did this, it was whenever the speaker turned off - like you'd tap something and get the tapping sound, then a moment later the audio would cut out (because there's no sound playing) with a little pop. I'd only notice it if it was quiet, and only with the speaker

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

My new G2's screen isn't rotating. It did when I got it, but now it stopped. I checked the rotate button in the pull-down menu. I checked the rotation button in settings. I flipped both of them on and off. It's on, but still not working. It's on lollipop, not sure if that matters.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
I wasn't sure what thread to put this in. It's 50/50 apps / Android.

I have an HTC Desire 820, which is still stuck on KitKat until some point in the distant future probably. It's default launcher is HTC Sense 6. A couple of days ago I was away for the day and had mobile data on. Sense home used 42.45MB of data in maybe 5 hours. After some poking around and digging (because it has no options in Settings. Seriously) I found it was set up to use WiFi only. I can only guess it's for that annoying as poo poo "Highlights" screen which I deleted everything from.
My question is does HTC Sense serve any deeper purpose on the phone or can I just swap it out for Nova or Apex?

I really like this phone. I finally found something that can take the place of my Palm PDAs, but a rogue app that's a part of the HTC bloat using 10% of my monthly data in a few hours is not on.
Yes I'm on 500MB / month. I'm Australian. Data is ridiculously overpriced. I need data for emails, some sites and messages a lot but not much else so the amount is more than ample but I'm not letting bullshit steal it because I do need it.

Also again I wish HTC would pull their finger out and release Lollipop for it. Their version of KitKat is weird. I really don't like how navigation is nonstandard. Plus 5.x is better optimized for the hardware.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Lblitzer posted:

Ah that sucks. I've got a Droid Maxx that refuses to update to Lollipop and I wanted to try a not Samsung. I'd totally get an Xperia but they hold their value so strongly. Haven't even found a Z2 under $300

Oh no! That sucks.

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid

Fruit Chewy posted:

Just ordered a Z3 Compact from Amazon's Warehouse Deals outlet for 280 shipped. They're running a 15% discount on all warehouse deals items for "Prime Day" and they had a few in "Used - Very Good: Item will be repackaged" condition. Here's hoping it actually functions when I get it.

Edit: Just kidding! It sold out while I was finishing my order. :argh:

I snagged a nexus 6 from Warehouse Deals for $361 shipped before I went to bed because clearly the logical next choice over a Z3 Compact is loving Shamu and now they're all sold out because that 15% off prime deal is pretty killer.

Anyone have any previous experience with Warehouse Deals electronics? The one I ordered was just Used - Very Good without any specific damage descriptions. I'm hoping it's intact and functional and I can use it for a few months and then flog it on swappa to buy the potential Nexus 5 refresh.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

General_Failure posted:

I wasn't sure what thread to put this in. It's 50/50 apps / Android.

I have an HTC Desire 820, which is still stuck on KitKat until some point in the distant future probably. It's default launcher is HTC Sense 6. A couple of days ago I was away for the day and had mobile data on. Sense home used 42.45MB of data in maybe 5 hours. After some poking around and digging (because it has no options in Settings. Seriously) I found it was set up to use WiFi only. I can only guess it's for that annoying as poo poo "Highlights" screen which I deleted everything from.
My question is does HTC Sense serve any deeper purpose on the phone or can I just swap it out for Nova or Apex?

I really like this phone. I finally found something that can take the place of my Palm PDAs, but a rogue app that's a part of the HTC bloat using 10% of my monthly data in a few hours is not on.
Yes I'm on 500MB / month. I'm Australian. Data is ridiculously overpriced. I need data for emails, some sites and messages a lot but not much else so the amount is more than ample but I'm not letting bullshit steal it because I do need it.

Also again I wish HTC would pull their finger out and release Lollipop for it. Their version of KitKat is weird. I really don't like how navigation is nonstandard. Plus 5.x is better optimized for the hardware.

There is no reason you can't just change the launcher.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
What are people using for car mounts for their Nexus 6?

I'm currently using a iOttie Easy One-Touch 2, but it loves hitting the power/volume on my caseless Nexus 6.

I was thinking about going with the Tylt option, but it looks loving huge, and I don't know if I could mount it upside down on the windshield to the left of my steering wheel.

Any ideas?

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
http://i.imgur.com/oOHwhkC.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/VjYci98.jpg

N6 in the Tylt Vu Car

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

my god that is huge

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Oh man, some pictures of the N6 really show how lolhuge it is...

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

To be fair, it's in a ridiculously tiny car. It looks somewhat normal in the BRZ mounted to the right of the radio on the dash.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I posted my Tylt Vu/Nexus 6 car setup a while ago and yeah, it's loving huge

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
It's hilariously huge and I love it and yes my Focus is small

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!

CLAM DOWN posted:

I posted my Tylt Vu/Nexus 6 car setup a while ago and yeah, it's loving huge

I set it up like this as well. It doesn't make any sense anywhere else. In the middle you lose about 20% of your FOV and if you put it somewhere below the windshield you cannot safely look at directions while driving (if you're using your phone as a GPS).

That said, the Tylt Vu + Nexus 6 combination is awesome. I love it!

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

LastInLine posted:

There is no reason you can't just change the launcher.

True. About the only reason I found was that at least in Nova I don't have access to their nice weather / clock widget. I have others but... yeah I think I'll just reinstall Beautiful Widgets. All the whacked arcane gestures or whatever is happening in Sense is driving me mad. So many cases of things opening for reasons I can't quite replicate.

On car brackets, I need a new one. Can't justify a Ram, but I know there's another brand at a slightly better price bracket I'd like to invest in but can't remember the name of. Normal brackets can't hold up to serious vibration and jostling. Or at very least they end up flopping around like :flaccid:

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I'd constantly be nervous when driving with the window down that I'd hit a bump and the phone would come loose and go flying.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

TraderStav posted:

I'd constantly be nervous when driving with the window down that I'd hit a bump and the phone would come loose and go flying.

If you're referring to the N6 in a Tylt, it fits quite snuggly especially with a case on the phone. The clamps angle in quite a bit and they bite down (there's also a base) which would make it quite impossible for the phone to come loose.

Trust me, it's going nowhere.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
I have a tylt vu and nexus 6 combo as well. When I'm using maps navigation my phone barely charges. How about you guys?

PurpleJesus
Feb 27, 2008

We all change. When you think about it, we're all different people all through our lives, and that's okay, that's good, you gotta keep moving.

Fruit Chewy posted:

Anyone have any previous experience with Warehouse Deals electronics? The one I ordered was just Used - Very Good without any specific damage descriptions. I'm hoping it's intact and functional and I can use it for a few months and then flog it on swappa to buy the potential Nexus 5 refresh.

I just got a Moto 360 from Warehouse Deals a week ago that was listed in Acceptable condition and it's in perfect shape. I had to replace the band but the watch itself might as well be brand new.

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!

Cultural Imperial posted:

I have a tylt vu and nexus 6 combo as well. When I'm using maps navigation my phone barely charges. How about you guys?

Mine even depletes, but at a very slow rate. If I'm driving for a longer time, the phone gets quite hot as well. As soon as I start streaming music over Bluetooth at the same time it might just melt away. I think that wireless charging just isn't fast enough to keep up with drain. For cross country drives I'm still using a cable so I'm fully charged when I arrive.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

LastInLine posted:

If you're referring to the N6 in a Tylt, it fits quite snuggly especially with a case on the phone. The clamps angle in quite a bit and they bite down (there's also a base) which would make it quite impossible for the phone to come loose.

Trust me, it's going nowhere.

I didn't say that it was a rational concern.

Any phone near the window in any mount, I'd be sweating it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Remember OnePlus making a big deal about their new phone using the v2.1 810 and that's why it wasn't going to have any issues?

Yeah, about that, HTC has said that virtually all 810 based devices in the wild were already using v2.1

http://www.androidcentral.com/htc-one-m9-already-using-snapdragon-810-v21

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
My iottie wireless charging car mount will hold my charge steady using their 2amp charger When navigating

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
My Nexus 7 2013's charger port finally gave up last night, it is currently charging on my wife's Galaxy S6 wireless charger but it simply refuses to work with the micro USB cable. I searched ebay and I can find a replacement board with the USB port for $55 and I am not yet ready to pay that much. One local store wants $90, the other only said that my tablet was worthless junk and I should go buy an iPad. . .

Does anyone know of a place I can send my tablet to to have a new port soldered on for a reasonable price? Or perhaps just a cheaper source than ebay for the charing port/board? I own a soldering iron but I have never attempted to solder something as small as a micro usb port before.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
The problem is its time consuming. Combined with shipping you probably arn't gonna come much ahead.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Crotch Fruit posted:

My Nexus 7 2013's charger port finally gave up last night, it is currently charging on my wife's Galaxy S6 wireless charger but it simply refuses to work with the micro USB cable. I searched ebay and I can find a replacement board with the USB port for $55 and I am not yet ready to pay that much. One local store wants $90, the other only said that my tablet was worthless junk and I should go buy an iPad. . .

Does anyone know of a place I can send my tablet to to have a new port soldered on for a reasonable price? Or perhaps just a cheaper source than ebay for the charing port/board? I own a soldering iron but I have never attempted to solder something as small as a micro usb port before.

Why don't you just get a qi charger for it?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Well, after a couple weeks or whatever with 5.1 on my 2014 Moto X, the memory problems are a lot better, but they do still crop up after several days' uptime (vs. ~2 before). Sigh.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Yeah idk, I used to love Motorola phones back in the pre ICS days but man do their phones now have some annoying quirks. Poor memory management, music popping/stuttering while playing if you're taxing the CPU etc. Meanwhile, my second hand Galaxy s4 running their official 5.0 update has an uptime of 40 days and going strong.

It's the same problems across multiple phones too, especially the music popping/stuttering. I've experienced that on the Droid X2, Droid 3, Razr M, Moto G, etc. Just annoying.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

kri kri posted:

Why don't you just get a qi charger for it?

I know that is the smart thing to do, but I just want to have a functioning USB port on the device for completeness. That and I believe charging by the port is faster than Qi wireless.

EDIT 4 hours in my tablet has gone from dead (it was at 4% and dropping at 8pm last night and would not turn on this morning) to 85% at noon, I'm certain that is considerably slower than corded charging. Maybe a bigger Qi mat could charge a little faster?

Not Wolverine fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jul 16, 2015

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

If you had used a Qi charger from the beginning you wouldn't be having this problem. :v:

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
My boyfriend is having problems with his Nexus 4. It seems like the digitizer is borked in a very narrow range - right where the QWERTY line is on the keyboard. Any quick fixes anyone might have in mind? Feels like a hardware failure but I want to make sure before he buys something.

denzelcurrypower
Jan 28, 2011
Do you guys all leave your Tylt and wireless chargers plugged into the car even when the engine is off? Are your accessory power ports always-on even when the engine is off? That's the case with my car, I'm wondering if it will deplete my battery to leave the charger plugged in (without a phone on it).

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
I leave it all plugged in but my cigarette lighters turn off with the car (not the engine).

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

MoosetheMooche posted:

Do you guys all leave your Tylt and wireless chargers plugged into the car even when the engine is off? Are your accessory power ports always-on even when the engine is off? That's the case with my car, I'm wondering if it will deplete my battery to leave the charger plugged in (without a phone on it).

Yes, but my lighter socket powers off with my car.

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006
I posted about this before, but now I have some more concrete info.

The bluetooth on my s6 is lovely. When I connect to my car or my bluetooth speaker to stream music, it's all choppy for the first 30-60 seconds after the bluetooth connection is established. After that, everything works fine. If I disconnect and reconnect, it is again choppy for the first 30-60 seconds before figuring its poo poo out. If I connect to my wife's car, it's extremely choppy (unlistenable) for the first couple minutes. Then it sorts itself out and mostly works fine (occasional choppiness every 5-10 minutes).

Yesterday I tested out my wife's s6, and bluetooth works perfectly with no stuttering. Both our phones are ~1 month old. If I take my phone into US Cellular, are they just going to make me try factory resetting the phone before they even consider that it might be a hardware problem? If I have to do this, is there any good way to backup settings/etc... for all my apps? I'm not looking forward to resetting and spending a couple hours redownloading/reconfiguring everything.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

TraderStav posted:

Put it in the middle if it worries you. My window / dash position would make it super easy to have an escapee so I put it in board of the steering wheel.

Alsp something bugged me that I said last night. I meant HD widgets. Swapped back to Nova Prime from HTC Sense and it's all good.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

I'm getting delayed MMS (pictures) and SMSs sent through when using hangouts. Are they going to fix this or is there some kind of workaround??

Im using Lolipop on a Xperia Z3 on TMos network.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

General_Failure posted:

My window / dash position would make it super easy to have an escapee so I put it in board of the steering wheel.

I don't know what this means but it sounds like it's something that is going to kill you when your airbag goes off.