Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Doodles posted:

The Pitt - This is the only one where you get some level of the ambiguity as far as how you end the thing. Not enough to keep me from putting a bullet in Ashur's face, but A for effort! It really isn't any longer than Anchorage is, it just feels that way because everyone wants to find all those loving ingots just to get the tribal power armor. (Seriously, the T-51b is way better.) Interesting level design and acceptable plot, but the only reason for not just killing everyone except the baby and getting it the hell out of there is the knowledge that Pittsburgh's actual future is far more frightening than becoming a Trog. The Metal Blaster and Perforator are the best things out of it, but that means going out for those damned ingots.
Why Ashur is actually fairly reasonable and trying to find a cure for a horrible disease while the resistance are a bunch of idiot assholes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

The Pitt was the worst of the DLCs. The moral choice was just completely laughable and gently caress finding those ingots.

At least anchorage had the great overpowered stealth armour.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

I know, I know, I'm a nerd who's over-thinking things, but just what the hell were the smugglers in Point Lookout smuggling?

What was so god drat horrible that in the lawless post-apocalypse it's taboo to have yet desirable enough that someone wants to smuggle it?

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

8one6 posted:

I know, I know, I'm a nerd who's over-thinking things, but just what the hell were the smugglers in Point Lookout smuggling?

What was so god drat horrible that in the lawless post-apocalypse it's taboo to have yet desirable enough that someone wants to smuggle it?

Punga fruit bitch

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

8one6 posted:

There are several similarly titled "Smuggler's Confession" items in Point Lookout that allude to the nature of the illicit goods. One of the confessions deals with the unrelated execution of NPC John Adlam, but the other tapes make reference to "rarest sweetmeats" and mention a "town full of children" on at least one occasion.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I don't think I even finished Point Lookout. While the area was kind of interesting and I liked some of the new items, I have no idea what the story for it even was.

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006
This post is brought to you by: Goat Bouillabaise.

First 9
I remember having to skip the entire trip-out sequence because it made my PC crash. I had to noclip to the end of it.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Cojawfee posted:

I don't think I even finished Point Lookout. While the area was kind of interesting and I liked some of the new items, I have no idea what the story for it even was.

Only good part of it was Desmond

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat
The hallucination and watching Desmond's house explode.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I donno - I kinda enjoyed the setting. Pilgrim's Landing was a nice "small town America" creation (or about as good as they could get in the engine) and the mansions were fairly detailed and well crafted, as was Camp Turtledove. Ironically, I feel as though Bethesda put more back story and history into this DLC than they did the whole of Fallout 3. I think that was one of the most disappointing things about Fallout 3, just the lack of history and tidbits of information and backstory. You're in the capital of the United States, where all this poo poo went down, and there like 3 news stories you find on some computers then some random other crap that's almost completely unrelated to what's going on. Some of the best parts of the previous games was picking through the pre-war information and stuff in places like The Glow and the Sierra Army Depot. Given that Fallout 3 was also apparently Bethesda's attempt to make this franchise their own, you'd think they do a little more world building.

I hope with Fallout 4's apparent focus on the pre-War world and "American History and Americana" in and around Boston means we get more backstory and lore this time around. More actual interesting pre-War things to pick through.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I liked Point Lookout and The Pitt because they weren't Bethesda just trying to do fallout 1 and 2 again. PL is a big weird misty place full of weirdos, wacky Lovecraft poo poo aside there's a lot of fun stuff to find and do, and none of it relies on franchise nostalgia. Playing through that makes it even more baffling that the main game is "help the good guy Brotherhood fight the bad guy Enclave and super mutants"

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
On the other hand, Point Lookout and Broken Steel made it clear that Bethesda (at least back then) had no goddamn clue how to balance high-level play for an RPG which is why you get fun stuff like the enemies in PL getting a gigantic base damage buff on all of their attacks and Broken Steel giving you radscorpions with more health than Behemoths.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday
Broken Steel was a must for Fallout 3. Like, there's no point even playing the game if you don't have that. Point Lookout is the only other DLC worth getting if you're not going to buy all 5. Operation Anchorage was terrible, The Pitt was boring, and Mothership Zeta's small amount of fun was overshadowed by forcing you to play it if you wanted the alien blaster.

New Vegas did a much better job on it's DLC as far as quality consistency went*, but aside from Old World Blues (which is the best DLC of any game ever), it was all just kind of "alright" instead of fun.

* Excluding GRA and Courier Pack.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

JackBadass posted:

Broken Steel was a must for Fallout 3. Like, there's no point even playing the game if you don't have that. Point Lookout is the only other DLC worth getting if you're not going to buy all 5. Operation Anchorage was terrible, The Pitt was boring, and Mothership Zeta's small amount of fun was overshadowed by forcing you to play it if you wanted the alien blaster.

New Vegas did a much better job on it's DLC as far as quality consistency went*, but aside from Old World Blues (which is the best DLC of any game ever), it was all just kind of "alright" instead of fun.

* Excluding GRA and Courier Pack.

Assault on Dragon Keep for Borderlands 2 rivals OWB...but it's a drat close race.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Assault on Dragon Keep for Borderlands 2 rivals OWB...but it's a drat close race.

The Borderland series is too boring for me to play.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Except that New Vegas is actually fun.

I don't think I did most of Fallout 3 or NV's DLC more than once though, because between the inventory limits in NV and various bugs and save issues I just never really get around to it on repeat plays. I usually do Operation Anchorage and OWB though because I loved them both.

Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
They would be great if only the content carried over into the Capital Wasteland. Things like mixing in the DLC weapons and armours into the levelled lists of the Capital Wasteland goons. DLC always seems to have this weird unfinished or experimental aspect which feels cheap and reflects poorly on the original game (which by that point in time is finally properly patched.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

JackBadass posted:

The Borderland series is too boring for me to play.

It really is. I've no idea why, the idea of it should make it a great game, but there's something about the execution that just falls flat for me every time.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

evilmiera posted:

It really is. I've no idea why, the idea of it should make it a great game, but there's something about the execution that just falls flat for me every time.

Borderlands 2 is essentially the White Noise of video games.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

This is odd. This is shotgun manufacturer list for one of the larger gun retailers online. Scroll down and look at the "Other Guns" logo

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/index.php/cPath/37/Shotguns

Look familiar?

Edit: Just checked and the equivalent guns under Rifles and Pistols are the Pulse Rifle from Aliens, and Robocop's pistol.

Shooting Blanks fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Jul 16, 2015

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Shooting Blanks posted:

This is odd. This is shotgun manufacturer list for one of the larger gun retailers online. Scroll down and look at the "Other Guns" logo

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/index.php/cPath/37/Shotguns

Look familiar?

Edit: Just checked and the equivalent guns under Rifles and Pistols are the Pulse Rifle from Aliens, and Robocop's pistol.

Hmmmmmmmm...

sout
Apr 24, 2014

lmao everything sucks

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

King Vidiot posted:

"Just put a disc in and play", until you run into a gamebreaking bug and then you have to wait half a year for the patch to come out because Microsoft or Sony won't allow you to release a patch that's under a certain size. That is if it comes out at all, and you can forget about Unofficial Fan Patches.

Has this ever happened? I played oblivion, fo3, nv, and skyrim on xbox and I never had a "game breaking bug." Sure, I can't make ridiculous poo poo happen or change anything for the better with mods but the game always worked.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Zombie Boat posted:

Has this ever happened? I played oblivion, fo3, nv, and skyrim on xbox and I never had a "game breaking bug." Sure, I can't make ridiculous poo poo happen or change anything for the better with mods but the game always worked.

I played Oblivion and FO3 on 360 and I'm pretty sure I remember having to start a new game at least once in both because something major broke.

As with all Bethesda bug things it's kinda a coin toss whether you encounter a given bug, or even any bugs at all.

Does anyone know if Microsoft is still charging devs to distribute patches? I know they used to get some arbitrary number for free and then Microsoft started charging.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Zombie Boat posted:

I think at worst I had a broken side quest. Nothing requiring me to shelf the game until a patch.

I did run through a few Xboxes when they were doing their DVD drive breakdown slash overheating and bending the chipset thing though.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Zombie Boat posted:

I recently played "The Pitt" on PS3 and half the slaves where invisible during the slave revolt, like they where nightkin or something. Never encountered anything like that in New Vegas.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Zombie Boat posted:

All of the games from Oblivion until Skyrim had a continual memory leak that made performance deteriorate and save files grow exponentially past the first 10 hours or so on PS3 consoles (which were a hilarious pain in the rear end when it came to making a multi-platform game, and just in general too). They finally figured out what the hell was going on by Skyrim and patched it a year and a half after it was released.

I think it had something to do with the game rehashing the location of items and NPCs in the static world, then rehashing the current state of everything whenever the game saved or auto-saved? Don't quote me on that, though.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Father Wendigo posted:

All of the games from Oblivion until Skyrim had a continual memory leak that made performance deteriorate and save files grow exponentially past the first 10 hours or so on PS3 consoles (which were a hilarious pain in the rear end when it came to making a multi-platform game, and just in general too). They finally figured out what the hell was going on by Skyrim and patched it a year and a half after it was released.

I think it had something to do with the game rehashing the location of items and NPCs in the static world, then rehashing the current state of everything whenever the game saved or auto-saved? Don't quote me on that, though.

Didn't that only happen with mods though? Which is why it was happening on PS3 because you could get some mods to work with it?

Although now that I think about it yeah there was an issue with item references duplicating or something.

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009

Moridin920 posted:

Didn't that only happen with mods though? Which is why it was happening on PS3 because you could get some mods to work with it?

Afaik if your elder scrolls or fallout save is bloating it is because you have a mod loving with something or you've uninstalled a mod and there's orphan scripts still running. Don't quote me on that I guess but I've never heard of Skyrim save game bloat on an Xbox.

I can't speak for Skyrim but I know I had both fallout games on the PS3 (with no mods) and they would inevitably fall apart into a stuttering morass after 50 some-odd hours of playtime. Every single time, without fail, this would happen.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Jim Barris posted:

I can't speak for Skyrim but I know I had both fallout games on the PS3 (with no mods) and they would inevitably fall apart into a stuttering morass after 50 some-odd hours of playtime. Every single time, without fail, this would happen.

Yeah the save files would eventually bloat up to such a ridiculous size that the game would crash if you attempted to load them.

Edit: Skyrim would eventually fall to the same problem if I remember correctly.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

Moridin920 posted:

Although now that I think about it yeah there was an issue with item references duplicating or something.

Nope, just the vanilla game! The surprisingly long delay on DLC was due in part to having half the team trying to figure out why the game was choking to death on it's own fist.

Here, have a Kotaku article that has everything from T-How saying "We did a ton more testing this time around, so the game is definitely our most solid release regardless of platform," to "Now that we've been through this, we're not naïve enough to say, 'We have seen everything,' because we have to assume we haven't. There are still going to be some people who have to come back to us and say, 'Ok, my situation is this.' [Our response is:] 'OK, send us your saved game.' .

Please note that this is at the very start of Skyrim's release, and doesn't cover the year+ of patches to the PS3, each having "Okay this one fixes the memory leak BUT FOR REALLY REALS THIS TIME."

I can't wait for the console release of Fallout 4. :allears:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

The bone and ps4 are almost completely identical hardware-wise they have to try really, really, really hard to gently caress this one up (they will)

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Zombie Boat posted:

Bethesda still has people that bring up Daggerfall over this. Bug late in the game that prevented you from completing it and the fix invalidated save files.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Moridin920 posted:

i originally played FO3, NV, and Skyrim on a PS3 when they were all released, and I can confirm that all three had the same issue where a large enough save file would eventually become unplayable. as far as i am aware, there was (and still is) no way to get mods working on any of those games on PS3 (maybe if you hack your console? i'm talking intended console usage here).

even better was that if you tried to start a new game and just saved over the old bloated save file, you new game would inherit the same problems and turn into an unplayable mess much sooner. the solution was to never save over an existing save file, meaning you always made a fresh save for every character every time you wanted to play. this wouldn't prevent the memory error from occurring, but it would give the game a longer lifespan before it went totally bonkers

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Jim Barris posted:

My PS3 New Vegas play session would usually end with the game crashing out and me going "welp, time to go to bed"

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Moridin920 posted:

No. Basically the problem was that over time as you play you interact with the gameworld by looting containers, killing NPCs, leaving items behind, etc. The save file needs to remember everything the player has done. So naturally it becomes bigger and bigger as you play. It also becomes smaller as cells reset and the savefile no longer has to remember what the player did there, but mostly it just becomes bigger.
During a playsession, the savefile is loaded in the RAM memory because the game constantly needs to update it with the player's actions.

A vanilla save file doesn't even grow all that much. A fresh Skyrim savefile will be around 4mb and by the time you're done with the game it will have grown to around 12 to 15mb.
But games on the PS3 are on a very tight memorybudget. The PS3 has 512mb of memory available just like the 360. However on the PS3 (it being the special snowflake that it is) that 512 is split up in 256 RAM & 256 VRAM.
Naturally the game's memory footprint was balanced to leave some free space available for the savefile. But if not enough free space was left, then you're going to run into problems such as slowdown & crashing. Which is what happened. If I recal right, your save going over 5mb would already cause problems.

Poorly coded scripts from mods are a separate issue.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jul 16, 2015

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

The bone and ps4 are almost completely identical hardware-wise they have to try really, really, really hard to gently caress this one up (they will)
That's new news to me. In addition to being lower of the two in terms of parts, I remember hearing that the Bone had a totally new SDK that gave the PS3 a run for it's money in being a pain in the rear end to work with.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Jim Barris posted:

For the Fallout games I didn't really have much of a problem on PS3 until DLC started getting added to the mix. I had a New Vegas save with over 100 hours that had no problems until Honest Hearts came out. I had to revert to an older save to run through the later DLC, and new games poo poo the bed much earlier with all DLC installed. I'm gald they never introduced a "get to level 50" trophy since I doubt it would have been possible.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

J-Spot posted:

For the Fallout games I didn't really have much of a problem on PS3 until DLC started getting added to the mix. I had a New Vegas save with over 100 hours that had no problems until Honest Hearts came out. I had to revert to an older save to run through the later DLC, and new games poo poo the bed much earlier with all DLC installed. I'm gald they never introduced a "get to level 50" trophy since I doubt it would have been possible.

it was possible, and it was painful. i had one playthru that was from 1 to 50 with all DLC complete and I had to specifically choose which quests i wanted to do in which order, because just playing the game as a new person who was going to randomly discover everything would crash you hard way before you got close to finished. iirc i played the character to level 5/6 and then went into Dead Money and just ran thru all the DLC in a straight row after that. i hit level 50 right before the end of Lonesome Road, but it wasn't even that exciting because the high level perks that they added were mostly jokes, so you'd get all the good perks you wanted capped out in the 20s and then have another 30 levels of meh to choose from.

this is on top of the hilarious glitches each of the DLCs had. in Dead Money you could trap yourself in the theater with Dean Domino if you answered his questions wrong and didn't have the skill to pick the locks / hack the computers. in Honest Hearts you could fail the entire DLC almost immediately after the intro sequence ambush if you were too trigger happy and shot things that moved before they could speak to you, because a plot critical NPC does just that about 5 minutes into the DLC. Old World Blues has the looping conversation with your brain that never ends and forces a re-start, and the teleporter gun that warps from the Sink to the Mojave is finnicky as hell and could just crash the game randomly on its own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

Zombie Boat posted:

I played Oblivion on PC and FO3, NV on PS3 and I went through two PS3s without a single gamebreaking bug.

Because I coo like dat.

• Locked thread