Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Delivery McGee posted:

Also, naval gunfights are :black101:. You look at that little 6" ball, what's it gonna do? Maybe knock over one gun and kill/maim five men, if it penetrates the hull. But it's not meant to penetrate, they even reduced the powder charge the closer they got to the enemy. Ideally the shot would stop about 2/3 of the way into the hull and throw off splinters. Just like non-penetrating hits on a tank, you kill 'em with their own armor. These splinters are big. Like, you could turn one down into a decent baseball bat if you shaved off the razor-sharp edges. One solid hit could wipe out a couple of gun crews. There's a reason peglegs and hooks for hands are a common trope.

If you do manage to get a lucky shot through a gunport and knock a gun off its carriage, hooray! That's two and a half tons of metal rolling fore and aft with every swell, crushing men left and right, tearing other guns loose from their ropes, and if the wind picks up it might even decide to leave the ship entirely, punching a bigass hole in one end.

If anyone's interested in reading about this kind of horror story, one of the best books depicting it is a sci-fi book called Off Armageddon Reef. The big naval battles near the end of the book are horrifyingly and vividly detailed about exactly what is happening to the ships on the receiving end of heavy cannon fire and what is happening to the men on board.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

JcDent posted:

Isn't it that ores in Japan are kind of lovely, that's why you needed to fold katanas five thousand times?

Yes, europeans did the same thing until the metallurgy developed to the point they could make the better steels. Most swords until the 1000's or so were made like katanas. Softer iron in the center, with hard high quality steel around the edges

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

JcDent posted:

Isn't it that ores in Japan are kind of lovely, that's why you needed to fold katanas five thousand times?

Oh, and I recently finished reading Achtung Panzer (midblowing book for me), and they mention that Guderian was too optimistic on synthetic rubber and fuel. How exactly does synthetic rubber and fuel happen?

Synthetic rubber is just another petroleum-based polymer, and obviously necessary because Germany didn't have any/many sources for natural rubber. Synthetic fuel is synthesized from gaseous hydrocarbons, themselves derived from either coal, biomass, or natural gas, because again Germany had fewer sources for petroleum than coal and biomass.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

What are the primary sources for the wooden splinter stuff? Medical records?

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

bewbies posted:

It was actually kind of the opposite if you can believe it. Japanese craftsmanship on their aircraft in general was of the highest order and the engines were no different. Allied analysts who got to look at Japanese aircraft were pretty stunned by how well crafted they were. The metal limitations were a main reason for this: they couldn't bludgeon their way out of problems with more or better metal like the US or Germany did. That being said, their maintenance and sustainment processes were....really bad, as have been discussed at some length. The fine tolerances of the engines really didn't help these matters.

Did that emphasis on craftsmanship interfere with their ability to develop? If it takes you three times as along to build an engine, then by implication,it takes you three times as along to iterate design improvements along the way to having a war-ready engine.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Zorak of Michigan posted:

Did that emphasis on craftsmanship interfere with their ability to develop? If it takes you three times as along to build an engine, then by implication,it takes you three times as along to iterate design improvements along the way to having a war-ready engine.

It took so long to build engines because they didn't have a conscription/service regulations that exempted skilled workers in the labour force. So you'd end up having your factory worker who happens to have been working with and on engines for years suddenly brought into the armed forces ranks and sent off somewhere after training. You'd then have to replace said skilled labour with some guy who may or may not be all that great, and you'd have to train him and so on.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

Jobbo_Fett posted:

It took so long to build engines because they didn't have a conscription/service regulations that exempted skilled workers in the labour force. So you'd end up having your factory worker who happens to have been working with and on engines for years suddenly brought into the armed forces ranks and sent off somewhere after training. You'd then have to replace said skilled labour with some guy who may or may not be all that great, and you'd have to train him and so on.

This seems really dumb? Japan already started at a disadvantage with a small % of their population being familiar with things mechanical, and now you take some of the few people you have and send them off somewhere?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Saint Celestine posted:

This seems really dumb? Japan already started at a disadvantage with a small % of their population being familiar with things mechanical, and now you take some of the few people you have and send them off somewhere?

It was especially bad for the Navy. The army controlled the draft, and wouldn't stop drafting the Navy's civilian employees.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

howe_sam posted:

They just didn't do a very good job of creating the circumstances of the myth. Like they used something dinky like a six pound cannon and never got a significantly large enough splinter to skewer one of the pig carcasses they were using for a human analog.

As compared to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfsuIaTU92Y

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

When my daughter asked me about the Pacific Theater in WWII, I told her it was easiest to understand if you assumed that Japan never had a war plan in the sense we mean it. They had a conviction that Heaven would ensure their victory, and a rough scheme for putting Heaven in an excellent position to intervene in their favor.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

xthetenth posted:

It was especially bad for the Navy. The army controlled the draft, and wouldn't stop drafting the Navy's civilian employees.

That is hillarious.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

Delivery McGee posted:

Artillery shot was cast iron (in Napoleonic times) and steel now. So, no lead :v: (except for the case of canister shot, which was literally a keg of musket balls, but that was generally a "keep the guns from being overrun" last-ditch effort).

Warning: this post will be in pounds and inches because all this poo poo was standardized before the SI was invented.

Field artillery in the Napoleonic era was generally 3- to 12-pounder guns, but I don't know the number of guns in a battery or batteries to a regiment. My (amateur) research tends more toward the British Navy. So here's an effortpost on naval artillery of the era:

Cannonballs are a lot smaller than most people think; Pirates of the Caribbean had ships trading CGI beachballs. Actual shot is much smaller -- for field guns, around baseball to softball-sized.

The guns are named for the size of the shot; a 6-pounder, for example, throws a six-pound iron ball, which is 3.5" in diameter. A 12lb ball is just under 4.5". The biggest common naval guns of the era were 32-pounders, with a bore of 6.1" (42-pounders existed and had been used on ships vying for the title of "biggest swingin' dick on the Seven Seas" in the previous two centuries, but the guns were too heavy to be practical in an actual fight.)

Back when ships were oak and men were iron, the RN had a rating system for ships -- a fifth- or sixth-rate frigate had one gundeck mounting 20-25 12-pounders (plus various smaller guns on the weather deck), up to a first-rate, which had 100+ guns on three decks -- usually 12-pounders on the upper, 24-pounders on the middle, and 32-pounders on the lower, for obvious reasons of keeping the center of gravity low; heavier shot means heavier guns, and more than one ship fell over and sank in the 17th century because they had too many big guns up high.

Fourth-rate (46-50 guns) and up were considered fit to fight in the line of battle. The smaller frigates, by gentleman's agreement, acted as messengers and scouts and were usually not fired upon by the heavies. Sort of like battleships and destroyers in WWII.

Nelson's flagship Victory was a first-rate, having at her prime 104 guns, throwing a broadside of 1150 pounds if the weather was good.

In all but the calmest seas, the three-deckers would have to close off their lower gunports to avoid shipping water through them from waves and the ship heeling over when turning, which reduced their firepower significantly.

So all of Victory's guns, on both sides, firing at once would be somewhat less metal in the air than a single 16" shell from Iowa.

Also, naval gunfights are :black101:. You look at that little 6" ball, what's it gonna do? Maybe knock over one gun and kill/maim five men, if it penetrates the hull. But it's not meant to penetrate, they even reduced the powder charge the closer they got to the enemy. Ideally the shot would stop about 2/3 of the way into the hull and throw off splinters. Just like non-penetrating hits on a tank, you kill 'em with their own armor. These splinters are big. Like, you could turn one down into a decent baseball bat if you shaved off the razor-sharp edges. One solid hit could wipe out a couple of gun crews. There's a reason peglegs and hooks for hands are a common trope.

If you do manage to get a lucky shot through a gunport and knock a gun off its carriage, hooray! That's two and a half tons of metal rolling fore and aft with every swell, crushing men left and right, tearing other guns loose from their ropes, and if the wind picks up it might even decide to leave the ship entirely, punching a bigass hole in one end.
Sweden didn't have the best of luck when trying to build the biggest and baddest armed flagships.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swedish_warship_Mars (Though this was more about the sailors from Lübeck setting the ship on fire when boarding it with predictable results)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vasa_(ship)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kronan_(ship)

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

When my daughter asked me about the Pacific Theater in WWII, I told her it was easiest to understand if you assumed that Japan never had a war plan in the sense we mean it. They had a conviction that Heaven would ensure their victory, and a rough scheme for putting Heaven in an excellent position to intervene in their favor.
They had a plan, but it was pretty much a "One good punch" style of plan. They knew from the outset that a war of attrition would not be in their favor and tried for a knockout blow. To their credit, the first few months of the war went very, very badly for the US. What Japanese planners misjudged was what the American response would be. After it became apparent that the knockout punch hadn't worked the Navy kept trying for another even bigger punch while the Army went for fanatical no-retreat-no-surrender hoping that the US wouldn't be up to that level of blodletting.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Rent-A-Cop posted:

They had a plan, but it was pretty much a "One good punch" style of plan. They knew from the outset that a war of attrition would not be in their favor and tried for a knockout blow. To their credit, the first few months of the war went very, very badly for the US. What Japanese planners misjudged was what the American response would be. After it became apparent that the knockout punch hadn't worked the Navy kept trying for another even bigger punch while the Army went for fanatical no-retreat-no-surrender hoping that the US wouldn't be up to that level of blodletting.

As far as I can tell, they decided they would be having the war, and only then looked to see how winnable it would be. Between that and some truly awful analysis of the Russo-Japanese war and WWI, they figured on the decisive battle and hitting the US' morale as something that would let them win. Once they did that they stuck to that all war, hoping that finally something would let them win.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I always assumed that the plan was "take decadent western resources in the Pacific, then take Hawaii. Make peace with weak American ape-men by giving back Hawaii, keep empire."

Your version though is hilarious and is kinda what they thought anyway, I just might steal it

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Hitting the other guy really really hard with the opening punch and then making it very costly for him to claw back the position he had before the war started is not, on its face, a bad strategy, but the opening punch could have been stronger (no carriers at Pearl) and the whole "making it very costly" part never quite materialized.

If it was going to work, they should have been bleeding the USN white from the word go, not taking 1 to 1 losses as in Coral Sea, much less outright losing trades as in Midway or Guadalcanal.

Monocled Falcon
Oct 30, 2011

Delivery McGee posted:

In all but the calmest seas, the three-deckers would have to close off their lower gunports to avoid shipping water through them from waves and the ship heeling over when turning, which reduced their firepower significantly.

Ah, man, that means that the naval missions from Assassin's Creed III were even less accurate than I thought. Great stuff though.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

Hitting the other guy really really hard with the opening punch and then making it very costly for him to claw back the position he had before the war started is not, on its face, a bad strategy, but the opening punch could have been stronger (no carriers at Pearl) and the whole "making it very costly" part never quite materialized.

If it was going to work, they should have been bleeding the USN white from the word go, not taking 1 to 1 losses as in Coral Sea, much less outright losing trades as in Midway or Guadalcanal.

It pretty much seems like the Japanese decided that to win the war they needed to win the battle, came up with a maybe for the battle and went from there without making sure they would win the war that way. They somehow missed they were going up against the world's largest power, not the b-team of Imperial Russia, the dysfunctional backwater of Europe.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Japan kind of put the quality over quantity model in place with just about everything including their aircraft. As has been said, they knew they weren't going to win a war of attrition, so it made some sense to have fewer, higher quality things than lots and lots of lower quality things. It certainly did make upgrading equipment along the way more difficult, but again, that was something of a conscious tradeoff...if they were in a war long enough to require significantly new things, they were going to lose, and old planes are just as effective as new ones at flying into ships on purpose.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

bewbies posted:

Japan kind of put the quality over quantity model in place with just about everything including their aircraft. As has been said, they knew they weren't going to win a war of attrition, so it made some sense to have fewer, higher quality things than lots and lots of lower quality things. It certainly did make upgrading equipment along the way more difficult, but again, that was something of a conscious tradeoff...if they were in a war long enough to require significantly new things, they were going to lose, and old planes are just as effective as new ones at flying into ships on purpose.
I don't know if that really holds water. Japanese production quality, especially post about 1943, was pretty shoddy on a lot of things. Late-war Arisakas for example have a real nasty reputation for blowing up in the shooter's face. Maybe aircraft were an exception, but a lot of Japanese Army equipment started the war obsolete and got worse from there.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Khalkin Gol and Lake Khasan should've been a wake-up call to the Japanese.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Japan chat must be something that happens every three months here or so.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Rent-A-Cop posted:

I don't know if that really holds water. Japanese production quality, especially post about 1943, was pretty shoddy on a lot of things. Late-war Arisakas for example have a real nasty reputation for blowing up in the shooter's face. Maybe aircraft were an exception, but a lot of Japanese Army equipment started the war obsolete and got worse from there.

Pretty sure those Last Ditch Arisakas were 1945 built examples. I don't know if I'd go so far as saying a lot of stuff was obsolete. Certainly the tankettes were, but I've always seen it more as their equipment had issues or quirks, not completely obsolete.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Rent-A-Cop posted:

I was talking about their armament industry (and really, their entire military) prior to the attack on the US. Practically everything got heavily diluted the longer things went on.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Pretty sure those Last Ditch Arisakas were 1945 built examples. I don't know if I'd go so far as saying a lot of stuff was obsolete. Certainly the tankettes were, but I've always seen it more as their equipment had issues or quirks, not completely obsolete.
I was thinking more of things like motor transport and artillery, but a lot of their arms were definitely "quirky" as you say. My no-evidence theory on that is that Japan had the same turn of the century arms manufacturing quirkiness as everyone else but didn't have the rationalizing effect of WWI to sort the wheat from the chaff and then got stuck-in in China and wisely kept what (sort of) worked instead of trying to rearm during a war.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

JcDent posted:

Like the cherry blossoms blooming on the slopes of Mt. Fuji, all things in their season. Soon they will drift away, to be replaced by questions ranking generals in the ACW.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Khalkin Gol and Lake Khasan should've been a wake-up call to the Japanese.

They were, at least for the Army. Then the Navy went "ahaha look at these idiots, watch how it's done".

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

sullat posted:

Like the cherry blossoms blooming on the slopes of Mt. Fuji, all things in their season. Soon they will drift away, to be replaced by questions ranking generals in the ACW.

And then someone will innocently wander into the thread and ask about tank destroyers.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Jobbo_Fett posted:

This is what I've read as well. Their 1945 guns were rough at best and unsafe to use at worst, but that was the end of the war. Throughout the main years it was more a problem with weird and bad design choices rather than outright poor manufacturing, though I think each year the quality gradually decreased (like using inferior wood and doing less aesthetic finishing work)

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

gradenko_2000 posted:

Eh, I don't think it mattered how hard they hit. They fact that they hit the USA at all, with a surprise attack no less, inflamed public opinion so much that total war to unconditional surrender was pretty much inevitable. Taking out all the PacFleet carriers in '41 or '42 wouldn't have changed the public opinion enough to get the negotiated settlement the Japanese wanted. All those Essex class CVs were rolling off the shipyard and into the war no matter what happened to their predecessors.

Ultimately, I think it was very much a "Fighting the Last War" thing for the Japanese. They were trying to repeat the success of the Russo-Japanese War without being fully cognizant of the differences between Czarist Russia of 1900 and the USA of 1941. Granted, they were not alone in this, and even the big American-booster Churchill was shocked by the ability of the Americans to go from zero to nuking your rear end in only four years (maybe five if you count the desultory move towards a war footing in early 1941).

JcDent posted:

Well, sure. Beats the weekly "Panzer Vor", doesn't it?

jng2058 fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jul 16, 2015

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Ensign Expendable posted:

They were, at least for the Army. Then the Navy went "ahaha look at these idiots, watch how it's done".

I have heard that Tojo said something snarky when he found out about Midway.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

jng2058 posted:

Eh, I don't think it mattered how hard they hit. They fact that they hit the USA at all, with a surprise attack no less, inflamed public opinion so much that total war to unconditional surrender was pretty much inevitable. Taking out all the PacFleet carriers in '41 or '42 wouldn't have changed the public opinion enough to get the negotiated settlement the Japanese wanted. All those Essex class CVs were rolling off the shipyard and into the war no matter what happened to their predecessors.

I think that you are right; but one small thing I've learned hanging around the mil history circles is that if you are in a position where you think you have to go to war, your military will make up a plan where you could conceivably win. It don't really matter how realistic it is, or how much of a long shot it is. The Iraqis in the first Gulf War had a plan, and they thought it was a good one, based on 1) their experiences in the Iran-Iraq war, and 2) decadent westerners not willing to take casualties. So they dreamed up this scenario where the Allies were going to have to fight World War 1 style battles in the desert, and they'd surely quit when the casualties started to mount.

It's kinda the same way with the Japanese in World War 2.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
So here's a bit of Gay Black Hapsburg to break up the WW2 chat: If by some miracle the Spanish Armada had kept its poo poo together long enough to transport the Spanish Army from Flanders to England (from what I understand that would require a few Gay Black Hapsburgs in and of itself), was there any realistic chance of keeping that Army supplied or reinforced while it tromped around England? Would they have been able to keep themselves going and battle-worthy through forage and plunder alone, or would they have required supplies from Flanders/Spain? And if they required the supplies, did Spain have the infrastructure needed to maintain those supply lines and keep the English from privateering them to hell at the same time?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Nebakenezzer posted:

I think that you are right; but one small thing I've learned hanging around the mil history circles is that if you are in a position where you think you have to go to war, your military will make up a plan where you could conceivably win. It don't really matter how realistic it is, or how much of a long shot it is. The Iraqis in the first Gulf War had a plan, and they thought it was a good one, based on 1) their experiences in the Iran-Iraq war, and 2) decadent westerners not willing to take casualties. So they dreamed up this scenario where the Allies were going to have to fight World War 1 style battles in the desert, and they'd surely quit when the casualties started to mount.

It's kinda the same way with the Japanese in World War 2.

Yeah, Yamamoto's war career pretty much reads like that. He did everything he could (which wasn't much) to prevent going to war with the Americans, and then when he was ordered to do so anyway shrugged and said, "well, here's the best I've got..."

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Tomn posted:

So here's a bit of Gay Black Hapsburg to break up the WW2 chat: If by some miracle the Spanish Armada had kept its poo poo together long enough to transport the Spanish Army from Flanders to England (from what I understand that would require a few Gay Black Hapsburgs in and of itself), was there any realistic chance of keeping that Army supplied or reinforced while it tromped around England? Would they have been able to keep themselves going and battle-worthy through forage and plunder alone, or would they have required supplies from Flanders/Spain? And if they required the supplies, did Spain have the infrastructure needed to maintain those supply lines and keep the English from privateering them to hell at the same time?
Considering how the Drake-Norris Expedition went the next year it doesn't seem like either Spain or England really had the resources to accomplish an invasion and successful campaign.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

What were the Japanese POW camps like anyways?

That is to say, the POW camps that America operated that they put Japanese into. I don't know of a better way to phrase that. I heard that the Germans got a pretty great setup all things considered.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

SlothfulCobra posted:

What were the Japanese POW camps like anyways?

That is to say, the POW camps that America operated that they put Japanese into. I don't know of a better way to phrase that. I heard that the Germans got a pretty great setup all things considered.

Pretty much exactly the same. They were all constructed according to the Geneva Convention, which required that facilities be built to the same minimum standard that would be built for an equivalent rank in your own military. So most enlisted shared bunk beds, were given access to basic medical care, and were expected to perform menial labor. During construction everyone - including the American guards - lived in tent cities because that was the legal requirement. Actually the American-built Japanese civilian internment camps were built to the same standards as well, they just get a bad rap because of the initial overcrowding and the civilian expectation that they should get more than 40 square ft of space.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jul 17, 2015

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

JcDent posted:

Oh, and I recently finished reading Achtung Panzer (midblowing book for me), and they mention that Guderian was too optimistic on synthetic rubber and fuel. How exactly does synthetic rubber and fuel happen?

Re: synthetic fuel, anyone know why the Germans never went for ethanol? In Sweden most military vehicles (including tanks) plus most agricultural machinery that wasn't practical to run on wood gas were run on ethanol/gasoline mixes in either 50-50, 75-25 or 85-15 proportions (everything that is old is new again, today you can buy 85-15 ethanol/gasoline as "E85" at most gas stations). When speccing out engines for tank production the contract included a clause that said the engines were to be factory-tuned for 50-50 gasoline/ethanol but should be easily adjustable to run on either 85-15 or pure ethanol if the need arose. 100% pure gasoline was almost exclusively reserved for the air force.

The navy operated its own oil mining facility - they mined alum shale and roasted it in huge coal-fired ovens and extracted oil; later the same location was used to mine uranium for the Swedish nuclear program.

Swedish conscripts refueling their tanks with "motyl" (motor alcohol). Strängnäs, 1942.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jul 17, 2015

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Kaal posted:

Pretty much exactly the same. They were all constructed according to the Geneva Convention, which required that facilities be built to the same minimum standard that would be built for an equivalent rank in your own military. So most enlisted shared bunk beds, were given access to basic medical care, and were expected to perform menial labor. During construction everyone - including the American guards - lived in tent cities because that was the legal requirement. Actually the American-built Japanese civilian internment camps were built to the same standards as well, they just get a bad rap because of the initial overcrowding and the civilian expectation that they should get more than 40 square ft of space.

The internment camps actually got a bad rap because the US government was unconstitutionally detaining American citizens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The internment camps actually got a bad rap because the US government was unconstitutionally detaining American citizens.

Well none of the internment camps held American citizens, you're referring to the assembly and relocation centers. Which, actually, ended up being ruled constitutional when the Supreme Court ruled on the issue.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korematsu_v._United_States

• Locked thread