Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Accordion Man posted:

Hey what parts of the game does Dr. Yado appear in? I pretty much explored everything in the game and never saw him once.

In the first area he's playing the trumpet when you emerge from a cave, and at the very end if you walk left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Nanomashoes posted:

In the first area he's playing the trumpet when you emerge from a cave, and at the very end if you walk left.

i had no idea the trumpet guy was him, but the trumpet guy appears in every hub area where you hear that same song playing. he's always placed where you can see him but can't actually reach him

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
When Brad is carrying baby Buddy back to his house the hub trumpet theme is playing.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Oh drat I forgot to get this during the sale.

Edit: nvm I guess I didn't

Uncle Wemus fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jun 24, 2015

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Uncle Wemus posted:

Oh drat I forgot to get this during the sale.

Edit: nvm I guess I didn't

Lay off the Joy.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Nanomashoes posted:

He's also at the very far right during the lil' brad prologue, and there's the trumpet statue on resort island, which kinda implies the people there thought highly enough of him to build a crappy statue in his honor.

I honestly wonder if he caused the apocalypse just so he could play his trumpet in peace.

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Here comes the third tactic.
Lipstick Apathy
Pretty early on. I gave up all my items instead of Terry and then maybe an hour later into the game I rested and woke up with him missing. Was kinda shocked and accidentally skipped through the ransom note prompt. Can I get him back? Does the game function like you gave him up in the first place?

Also, was there a way to save those orphans?

Probably bad opinion: I don't really dig the Russian Roulette at all. I haven't done enough with the characters to really care about them and mostly want to keep them for the sake of completion. It's more irksome than painful and it feels like a half-measure that you can redo it without too much hassle. It's actually really hard to identify with Brad on some of the situations the game forces you into. Anyways, it's not a dealbreaker but it kinda harshed my buzz while I was blitzing through the game at a steady pace previously. It doesn't help that I'm sitting with a couple of dead party members if I make it through the Russian roulette anyway.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Iserlohn posted:

Pretty early on. I gave up all my items instead of Terry and then maybe an hour later into the game I rested and woke up with him missing. Was kinda shocked and accidentally skipped through the ransom note prompt. Can I get him back? Does the game function like you gave him up in the first place?

Also, was there a way to save those orphans?

Probably bad opinion: I don't really dig the Russian Roulette at all. I haven't done enough with the characters to really care about them and mostly want to keep them for the sake of completion. It's more irksome than painful and it feels like a half-measure that you can redo it without too much hassle. It's actually really hard to identify with Brad on some of the situations the game forces you into. Anyways, it's not a dealbreaker but it kinda harshed my buzz while I was blitzing through the game at a steady pace previously. It doesn't help that I'm sitting with a couple of dead party members if I make it through the Russian roulette anyway.

the whole point of the game is to make you feel uncomfortable if you're approaching it from the typical video game perspective where you can always find some kind of middle road answer that solves every problem with no real downside. nearly all of the NPCs you can recruit have NO plot relevance or characterization outside of a one liner that vaguely describes them, so feel free to piss them all away on russian roulette or when buzzo ambushes you or when a monster insta-gibs them. they literally don't matter. hell, the combat in this game isn't particularly difficult at any point, so you could easily just play through with brad and rotate randomly when a party member dies or vanishes or whatever

edit: more frustrating for me was the illusion that the choice to save your dudes or chop off your limbs would matter down the road, and in the end the only thing that even kind of changes what ending slides you see is whether you use drugs, ever, and whether you're playing on pain mode or not.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

homeless poster posted:

edit: more frustrating for me was the illusion that the choice to save your dudes or chop off your limbs would matter down the road, and in the end the only thing that even kind of changes what ending slides you see is whether you use drugs, ever, and whether you're playing on pain mode or not.

Doesn't that feed right into the theme it's already presenting, anyways? It doesn't matter, save for the personal satisfaction it gives you to try to do what you feel is the right thing.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Black August posted:

Doesn't that feed right into the theme it's already presenting, anyways? It doesn't matter, save for the personal satisfaction it gives you to try to do what you feel is the right thing.

it kind of does, and this has been brought up before, but it's also fairly counter-intuitive compared to how the game is advertised. dingaling made it sound like all the choices you make will affect the outcome of the game, when there's only two choices that actually effect the ending in any real way. i mean i guess you could say "but but but you the player get to choose which of the NPCs who have no plot significance get killed off during X situation! that's player choice that effects the outcome of the game, because then you won't be able to use those same NPCs later" but that's a pretty weak implementation of "choices are difficult and matter"

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
They never explained who the kid on the title screen is and why he/she shows up so often throughout the game. I feel like I'm missing something important. I have completed the game on normal mode though and got the joyful ending.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

How Rude posted:

They never explained who the kid on the title screen is and why he/she shows up so often throughout the game. I feel like I'm missing something important. I have completed the game on normal mode though and got the joyful ending.

the kid on the title screen, who also shows up throughout the game, is the titular character of the game. next to nothing about her is really revealed in The Painful RPG; you have to download an RPG Maker game called Lisa The First if you want to figure out her story

Freaking Crumbum fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jun 24, 2015

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

It's heavily implied that it's Lisa, Brad's sister. She's the subject of the prequel game, though Brad himself doesn't actually appear in it.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

How Rude posted:

LISA is actually a sequel to Dingaling's first game, Lisa the First, you can download it here.

If you just want to know, the girl in white is Brad's kid sister Lisa. She committed suicide after years of sexual abuse from Marty and Brad blamed himself for her death ever since. It's why Brad keeps saying that raising Buddy will make up for what happened in the past and why Buzzo despises Brad so much.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jun 24, 2015

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

the only thing that confuses me about her story is the chronology of events. i've seen people speculate that Buzzo/Bernard was the kid in the flashback where you're back to being a karate instructor who is standing at the front and Brad says something like "what's wrong I can see in your eyes something's bothering you". if that's the case though, it seems like Buzzo/Bernard would have been younger than possibly even Lisa which makes me wonder how/why he was so attached to her, and why he decided that Brad is responsible for what happens. since we see this game open with brad as a kid and Lisa isn't in the intro at all, it makes me wonder if he's supposed to be older or younger than her, and how Buzzo/Bernard fits in. i've also seen people speculate that Brad actually disfigured Red Skull Rando, but that seems to completely contradict the pain mode ending where Rando as a child is disfigured in Brad's dojo by someone who used a buzzsaw. it seems pretty clear to me that Brad isn't the person who disfigured Rando

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Lisa is in the intro. You can go into her room.

homeless poster posted:

The insta-kill moves are supposedly rare, and if you use a team that is heavy on debuffs like anger or depression or knocked down you can basically get it so that the few monsters that could use them never do. I also suspect that they might have a higher chance of being used on pain mode, but it still comes down to the RNG. I've also had weird stuff happen where a monster uses an insta-kill move but it just reduced my dude to zero HP and didn't actually kill him permanently, so ymmv.

Instant kill moves are mutant "Bite your head off" and Rando Army neck snaps. There are some moves that can 1-shot you but don't kill you eg eg "Buzzo wrecks you!"

homeless poster posted:

the only thing that confuses me about her story is the chronology of events. i've seen people speculate that Buzzo/Bernard was the kid in the flashback where you're back to being a karate instructor who is standing at the front and Brad says something like "what's wrong I can see in your eyes something's bothering you". if that's the case though, it seems like Buzzo/Bernard would have been younger than possibly even Lisa which makes me wonder how/why he was so attached to her, and why he decided that Brad is responsible for what happens. since we see this game open with brad as a kid and Lisa isn't in the intro at all, it makes me wonder if he's supposed to be older or younger than her, and how Buzzo/Bernard fits in. i've also seen people speculate that Brad actually disfigured Red Skull Rando, but that seems to completely contradict the pain mode ending where Rando as a child is disfigured in Brad's dojo by someone who used a buzzsaw. it seems pretty clear to me that Brad isn't the person who disfigured Rando

The assumption that Brad disfigured Rando was from before the pain mode ending, when there was a sequence of Rando as a child cowering in a cave saying "I'm sorry master". The pain mode ending indicates what happened is that Buzzo mutilated Rando, Brad finds out, then leaves because Brad is emotionally unstable and probably had a breakdown because of the way it connected to Lisa. Brad having left, Rando assumes he made Brad mad by not being able to beat Buzzo.

Poor Rando. :smith:

pon alien posted:

When Brad is carrying baby Buddy back to his house the hub trumpet theme is playing.

Oh wow, it didn't even occur to me the theme played there. It's in the trailer too, the theme's playing with Yado on top of a mountain and it slowly pans past a huge pile of mutants.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jun 26, 2015

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
Jesus, fly was nerfed before I played the game and he was still able to completely shut down Satan like it weren't no thing

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Yo I can't access my menu and inventory a lot of the time.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Finished the game earlier, what was the deal with the fight against (near game end boss) Mr. Angoneli, sticky's dad? That just kinda showed up out of nowhere since up til then we didn't really know much about him except who he is and that he exists. Did I miss something that explained more about him, or who he was even working for, or was that whole fight a hallucination or what

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

FirstAidKite posted:

Finished the game earlier, what was the deal with the fight against (near game end boss) Mr. Angoneli, sticky's dad? That just kinda showed up out of nowhere since up til then we didn't really know much about him except who he is and that he exists. Did I miss something that explained more about him, or who he was even working for, or was that whole fight a hallucination or what

You can find him sleeping under a tree in the game-opening flashback, and a hallucination of him confronts Brad shortly before you run into him for real. He's meant to demonstrate just how unsafe Buddy is out on her own - some geriatric nutcase can jump in out of nowhere and carve her up just for the novelty of it.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

You can find him sleeping under a tree in the game-opening flashback, and a hallucination of him confronts Brad shortly before you run into him for real. He's meant to demonstrate just how unsafe Buddy is out on her own - some geriatric nutcase can jump in out of nowhere and carve her up just for the novelty of it.

Thanks! I knew about the other times you could find him, it was just kinda strange that they specifically used him right then and there. It felt like there was supposed to be a bigger reason for it, especially since after that whole thing it just doesn't get brought up again except to make people thing that Brad carved into Buddy's face, which he didn't, but Buddy certainly wasn't saying anything about it I guess. Only other reason I can imagine him specifically being used there is that maybe he was working with buzzo or something and maybe he was the one who carved off Dusty's face? Eh. Hopefully all this poo poo'll get explained like the dev said it would for the next game thing. Is Lisa the Joyful going to be a completely new game or is it meant to be an add-on dlc thing to LISA?

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Here comes the third tactic.
Lipstick Apathy
I don't know what compelled me to do this, but in the part after you kill Rando and the post-credit scene you can equip that degrading dress you get from Dismal Island and it overrides Brad's appearance. Well, it also returns his walk speed to normal, so... pro speed run tip, I guess :v:

There's a couple things I skipped my first playthrough like the Devil Machine and Resort Island. I figure I might as well try out Pain Mode while I'm at it. Does anyone have any advice before going into it? Stronger enemies and revamped encounters sound cool, but the limited saves seem like it would be kinda rough in congested areas with lots of junctions.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Iserlohn posted:

I don't know what compelled me to do this, but in the part after you kill Rando and the post-credit scene you can equip that degrading dress you get from Dismal Island and it overrides Brad's appearance. Well, it also returns his walk speed to normal, so... pro speed run tip, I guess :v:

There's a couple things I skipped my first playthrough like the Devil Machine and Resort Island. I figure I might as well try out Pain Mode while I'm at it. Does anyone have any advice before going into it? Stronger enemies and revamped encounters sound cool, but the limited saves seem like it would be kinda rough in congested areas with lots of junctions.

i've only ever played the game in pain mode and the only difficulty was that you really have to decide how much time you have to play and then stop when you reach a new save point because they get permanently removed once you use one, and if you keep playing past a save point you pretty much have to power thru to the next one (hello going to bed at 2am!) otherwise i was able to play a first run thru completely blind on pain mode with no grinding and only occasionally upgrading equipment just fine. the game is too minimalist rpg for min-maxing to really matter

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

Iserlohn posted:

I did the same thing and it made the ending ever darker considering how we're supposed to be piecing together how similar Brad is to Marty at this point.

Cybershell
Jun 12, 2007

I hold all of you in the highest contempt
Wow what a good game.

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007
Murderology AND Murderonomy!
Question: I beat the game a while back (great game, truly.) and this thread + my own digging about has answered alot of my questions but one remains...

What the heck is up with that motorcycle crew you run into at one point, with the guy who just stands out in front looking at you and refusing to move? I saw a screenshot of Brad at the end of that little section with what looks like one of the guys having gone mutant and hefting a motorcycle over his own head. Is that a PAIN mode only thing or what?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Blackray Jack posted:

Question: I beat the game a while back (great game, truly.) and this thread + my own digging about has answered alot of my questions but one remains...

What the heck is up with that motorcycle crew you run into at one point, with the guy who just stands out in front looking at you and refusing to move? I saw a screenshot of Brad at the end of that little section with what looks like one of the guys having gone mutant and hefting a motorcycle over his own head. Is that a PAIN mode only thing or what?

If you let them kidnap one of your guys then go there one will have gone mutant and killed your party member/their entire gang. You can kill it for a helmet.

Ezzer
Aug 5, 2011

Being a selfish prick, I elected to keep both of my arms. Does the game change significantly when you lose them, beyond losing combat abilities? Like, can Brad still climb ropes? Or do hadoukens?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Ezzer posted:

Being a selfish prick, I elected to keep both of my arms. Does the game change significantly when you lose them, beyond losing combat abilities? Like, can Brad still climb ropes? Or do hadoukens?
There's not a huge difference if you lose one arm, but I hear you really gimp yourself combatwise if you lose both.

Ezzer
Aug 5, 2011

Accordion Man posted:

There's not a huge difference if you lose one arm, but I hear you really gimp yourself combatwise if you lose both.

I dunno, the head slide techniches are still AOE, do decent damage, and cause tripping

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Ezzer posted:

i lost both arms on my pain mode playthru and the game changes nada. you can still ride the bike and climb ropes and otherwise interact with the game world. there's never a moment where the game is like "no arms = can't do a thing". your moveset changes if you lose one or both arms, but the moves that you get as replacements are just as good, so it's really more of a story thing than anything else. you don't do the dial-a-combo thing any more in combat with no arms as you just select your move from the list, but you still get like two AoE stun moves, so who cares.

seriously the game is piss easy. for as much as dingaling wanted to toot his horn about how the game would force players to make uncomfortable, meaningful choices with serious consequences, nothing in the entire game seems to affect the experience or the outcome aside from (1)did you EVER use joy Y/N (2) are you playing on pain mode Y/N. all of the party members are completely devoid of plot or purpose (outside of whatever vignette you watch when they are first recruited) so theres really no impact when one of the fifty dudes is killed or kidnapped.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

homeless poster posted:

nothing in the entire game seems to affect the experience or the outcome aside from (1)did you EVER use joy Y/N (2) are you playing on pain mode Y/N

Except all that changes is a post credits scene anyway, and doesn't change anything with the actual ending, and that first part only changes a few lines before plot forces you into the ending.

One of my biggest issues with the game is the lack of explanation with Buzzo. Like, game didnt have to go out of its way to give Buzzo plot or anything to explain what was going on with him, but what's there is...pretty much nothing, and I get that one of the themes of the game is that poo poo's already out of your hands so your choices don't really matter in the long run but it just felt weird with Buzzo singling out Brad as being this horrible murderer and turning his life into a living hell by making him make difficult decisions and being involved with the production of the drug that Brad got hooked on and turned into a mutant because of, but then Buzzo never gets any kind of comeuppance or development or anything, he's just there for some reason and it clashes with the rest of the game imo

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Yeah I don't really like Buzzo at all. I think he does a good job of tormenting both Brad and the player themselves with way he fucks with your progression, but in the end nothing happens with him. He's an rear end in a top hat, you hate his guts, but the game ends before any meaningful confrontation or motive for his actions. In a world full of random assholes loving you over Buzzo manages to be the biggest one, but the plot sets him up to be more than that. Yet nothing ever comes of him.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
The problem is that Buzzo's motivation has already been given, its just hidden behind the two endings that you need to unlock and the fact that LISA is a sequel and most people haven't played the first game.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Ezzer posted:

You climb ropes at like half speed, which is funny when you remember all the transition caves and poo poo in general in the third hub.

Cybershell
Jun 12, 2007

homeless poster posted:

all of the party members are completely devoid of plot or purpose (outside of whatever vignette you watch when they are first recruited) so theres really no impact when one of the fifty dudes is killed or kidnapped.

While I do wish every party member had a little sidequest you could do with them or something, at least everyone had their own dialogue at the end of the game when you fight them, that was a nice touch. Also I'm willing to let the lack of any sort of conclusion regarding Buzzo slide only because I'm pretty sure we'll get that in Lisa the Joyful. If we don't, that would be a big shame.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I took Buzzo to be the purest form of the LISA experience.
There's this guy. He's an rear end in a top hat. He makes your life miserable. He makes you suffer. There is little rhyme or reason to it. He simply is. If you're expecting something to come of this...well that's just more suffering for you. Welcome to LISA, hope you have a horrible time.

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

The closest thing Buzzo gets to comeuppance is his army gets totally decimated by Rando's, but he himself doesn't seem to care much.

Cybershell posted:

While I do wish every party member had a little sidequest you could do with them or something, at least everyone had their own dialogue at the end of the game when you fight them, that was a nice touch.

Enh I thought it was what you made of it yourself. I'm glad they didn't have some Mass Effect loyalty mission about 30 different men who miss their wife.

Cybershell
Jun 12, 2007

Honestly it doesn't even have to be a fully fleshed out "sidequest" but little things, like getting a reaction from Bo when you take him to see his brother. That one could have been good, but it kind of pissed me off because when you get Bo the first thing he says is "you must know where my brother is, take me to him" so I thought "ok" but when you take him there he permanently leaves your party. I know the theme of the game is sticking with your choices but I kinda thought that was bullshit so I loaded a save because Bo is cool and I wanted him in my party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

it is kinda funny that a lot of people were speculating that Terry was going to be some kind of secret ultra best character because he's so lame in the beginning and the game is all about screwing with your expectations so obviously he's going to be a monster at level 50, and then nope he sucks all the way through. but, the real best character in the game is available shortly into chapter 2 and he only costs like 20 mags because you have to buy some whiskey for him to join you. don't recruit birdie if you don't want the entire game to become ez mode

• Locked thread