Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Trump will win most of the debates he's allowed to participate in, because he will be the only one answering questions, and being honest.

He will go beyond calling Mexican Americans rapists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Nonsense posted:

Trump will win most of the debates he's allowed to participate in, because he will be the only one answering questions, and being honest.

lolin at the idea that being honest and answering the questions is how debates are won.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Trabisnikof posted:

lolin at the idea that being honest and answering the questions is how debates are won.

It's more Trump will answer questions the exact way the republican base has been dreaming someone would answer questions since Reagan left office...

Nonsense posted:

The base eats this poo poo up more than you could possibly know.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
Rick Perry attacks Trump for not being strong enough on border security?

quote:

Donald Trump continues to demonstrate his fundamental misunderstanding of border security. Make no mistake – border security is a federal responsibility, but when I met with President Obama last year and it became clear he would not act, I told him if he would not secure the border, Texas would. Rather than thanking Texas for stepping into a gap it shouldn’t have to fill, Mr. Trump has made clear that he believes the states should fend for themselves on border security. Not only is this wrong, it perpetuates the same failed policies that have left our southern border porous and vulnerable.

I have a message for my fellow Republicans and the independents who will be voting in the primary process: what Mr. Trump is offering is not conservatism, it is Trump-ism – a toxic mix of demagoguery and nonsense.

America doesn’t need another president who pays lip service when issues of national security are at stake. America doesn’t need another president who will pass the buck on border security. We need a president who will finally act to secure the border after decades of failed leadership in Washington, D.C. And Mr. Trump has done nothing to prove that he is the president America needs.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

HappyHippo posted:

Lol

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Nonsense posted:

So he destroys Hillary in a general - noted.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I feel like Republicans attacking Trump is just gonna make Trump look like the washington outsider he wants to be

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
If Christie steps up and decks Trump, hopefully knocking the toupee off, he'll take a bunch of the Trump vote by being the new "tough guy who doesn't back down from a fight."

That means he had to make the top 10 tho.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
I just want to see Trump blast the hell out of Bush and the moderators, like how Newt did in SC in 2012

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Bread Set Jettison posted:

I feel like Republicans attacking Trump is just gonna make Trump look like the washington outsider he wants to be

I mean, he is an outsider, in the sense that he's never held public office. Of course, my racist rear end grandpa is an outsider as well, and he has no business being in power either.

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth

Newt 2012 never forget :911:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

HappyHippo posted:

2016 Presidential Primary: a toxic mix of demagoguery and nonsense. Edit: Disreputabledog, please go full Trump. It's your calling.

Useless Shotgun
Nov 5, 2010

Well, you can tell by the way I use my walk, I'm a woman's man: no time to talk.
We could have had a base on the moon.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

rear end cobra posted:

I swear, Callista always has a serious thousand-yard stare going on in every photo I've seen on those two.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

HappyHippo posted:

Donald Trump's plan to deal with the southern border seems to be:

1) build a wall, then invoice the Mexican goverment for it.
2) Send them a follow up invoice for every illegal immigrant that comes into the country.
3) Berate the Mexican government untill they "behave"

I'd say Perry, has a point when he says that Trump's solutions aren't "conservative" aka realistic. I also don't fault Perry for taking seriously an issue that he had to deal with as governor for 12 years, where Trump claim's he will just make it happen - because he will give Mexico a stern talking too.

It also goes further to that Trump really has no positions, plans or ideas. His rally speeches are a stream-of-conscious rambling comprised of vague talking points, angry spiteful remarks and whatever he happens to think of at the time. I can't honestly tell you how far to the right or left of the spectrum he is because he's never had to create or vote on legislation and doesn't provide real world examples of how he would implement his inane ramblings policies. And of course the jokes on us because it seems to be working.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him start contradicting himself after a few too many stump speeches just by having to keep track of everything he's said. I'm sure he would start using his "I have a great idea but I can't tell you" line on everything instead of just ISIS if he thought he could consistently get away with it.

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
Newt told Rove to gently caress off after Rove complained that Newt (Leader (possibly) of the civilizing forces.) took a day off to visit a museum.

He also took a day off to see Callista do a christmas concert or something :3:

Also he went to Greece.

ass cobra fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jul 16, 2015

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

The Nastier Nate posted:

2) Send them a follow up invoice for every illegal immigrant that comes into the country.

I'd say Perry, has a point when he says that Trump's solutions aren't "conservative" aka realistic. I also don't fault Perry for taking seriously an issue that he had to deal with as governor for 12 years, where Trump claim's he will just make it happen - because he will give Mexico a stern talking too.

It also goes further to that Trump really has no positions, plans or ideas. His rally speeches are a stream-of-conscious rambling comprised of vague talking points, angry spiteful remarks and whatever he happens to think of at the time. I can't honestly tell you how far to the right or left of the spectrum he is because he's never had to create or vote on legislation and doesn't provide real world examples of how he would implement his inane ramblings policies. And of course the jokes on us because it seems to be working.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him start contradicting himself after a few too many stump speeches just by having to keep track of everything he's said. I'm sure he would start using his "I have a great idea but I can't tell you" line on everything instead of just ISIS if he thought he could consistently get away with it.

Serious discussion of Donald Trump's policies ITT.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

TheDisreputableDog posted:

So he destroys Hillary in a general - noted.

No, but he probably would have a lot of people saying he won after any debates he had with her.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"

Three Olives posted:

Trump is going to do awesome in the debate, I'm amazed that some people think he is going to do poorly.

Trump is made of straw, there is nothing for the other candidates to go after because there is nothing there but ego and bravado and the conservative base is going to eat it up.

The only thing I'm worried about for Trump is that he's going to find himself in a situation where he doesn't have full control. It's not like his boardroom, or his TV show, or a stump speech. I have confidence in Trump to be sufficiently bombastic and authoritative in situations that he controls (when he's sparring a punching bag), but when he's not in control and he's being attacked by everyone (in an actual fight), it will be interesting to see if he can remain the Donald we all know and love.

The ways that I see them going after Trump on "issues" are issues that will play to their spiteful base, e.g. instances of Trump being "liberal" (like attending a Clinton wedding), or maybe his sex life or something.

Dahbadu fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jul 16, 2015

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

I think it depends on how willing The Donald is to have his own image trashed in retaliation for trashing the images of his opponents. If Trump is afraid to risk his image then he'll get destroyed in the debates, if he just wants to see everyone burn he'll destroy them by refusing to stick to the script and revealing the GOP for what it really is and believes

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jul 16, 2015

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Dahbadu posted:

The ways that I see them going after Trump on "issues" are issues that will play to their spiteful base, e.g. instances of Trump being "liberal" (like attending a Clinton wedding)

Or like, you know - donating to Hillary's campaign.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

GlyphGryph posted:

No, but he probably would have a lot of people saying he won after any debates he had with her.

Hah! Like that would ever happen!

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Or like, you know - donating to Hillary's campaign.

Wasn't that to defeat Obama though? I'm not sure if "funding Obama's opponent" is going to hurt him much.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I like the spin on inviting the Clintons to a wedding because it's good business sense and he made a bunch of money off them somehow, it's just the sort of out-of-hand dismissal that Trump can pull off that'd destroy other politicians.

He actually has a slight Nietzschean element to him regarding contradicting his previous positions. Nietzsche had a tendency to write whatever he wanted at the time with only the loosest consistency, and when criticized for hypocrisy or inconsistency replied with a shrug and suggested that legalistic nitpicking about coherence is the sign of a weak, inferior mind. The mistake when being caught in some kind of logical error is confessing that logic has any kind of hold over you.

Trump's an empire now, and when he acts, he creates his own reality. And while you're studying that reality—judiciously, as you will—he'll act again, creating other new realities, which you can study too, and that's how things will sort out.

AndNowMax
Sep 25, 2009

Fighting the fight for *mumble* *mumble*

*nods sagely*

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Dolash posted:

I like the spin on inviting the Clintons to a wedding because it's good business sense and he made a bunch of money off them somehow, it's just the sort of out-of-hand dismissal that Trump can pull off that'd destroy other politicians.

He actually has a slight Nietzschean element to him regarding contradicting his previous positions. Nietzsche had a tendency to write whatever he wanted at the time with only the loosest consistency, and when criticized for hypocrisy or inconsistency replied with a shrug and suggested that legalistic nitpicking about coherence is the sign of a weak, inferior mind. The mistake when being caught in some kind of logical error is confessing that logic has any kind of hold over you.

Trump's an empire now, and when he acts, he creates his own reality. And while you're studying that reality—judiciously, as you will—he'll act again, creating other new realities, which you can study too, and that's how things will sort out.

:golfclap:

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.

GlyphGryph posted:

Wasn't that to defeat Obama though? I'm not sure if "funding Obama's opponent" is going to hurt him much.

The donations are back from when she was a Senator as well. He also donated to Reid, Rahm, and the Clinton Foundation, and heaped praise on Clinton as late as 2012. I want to say this could significantly damage him, but even Romney was able to decouple himself enough from his past to get the nomination. And if he bombastically takes this criticism head on instead of ignoring it I still don't think it will be enough to sink him.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Dolash posted:

Trump really is "republican base: the candidate" since he's loud mouthed, racist, spiteful, arrogant, has cognitive dissonance in loving spades, and probably a whole host of other things I'm forgetting the republican base is yet he fully represents.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

A Bag of Milk posted:

The donations are back from when she was a Senator as well. He also donated to Reid, Rahm, and the Clinton Foundation, and heaped praise on Clinton as late as 2012. I want to say this could significantly damage him, but even Romney was able to decouple himself enough from his past to get the nomination. And if he bombastically takes this criticism head on instead of ignoring it I still don't think it will be enough to sink him.

The nice thing about the Clintons is you can just blame their trickery for any past support. It shouldn't hurt him, because its so easy to pivot.

Reporter/Townhaller/Bush Campaign Plant: "You supported Hiliary until 2012, how can you prove you still don't support her now?"

Trump/Trumpite: "How could any sane person support her after _____ (insert specific scandal to taste here)! As president Trump would _____ (insert insane and impossible policy here)."

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

A Winner is Jew posted:

Trump really is "republican base: the candidate" since he's loud mouthed, racist, spiteful, arrogant, has cognitive dissonance in loving spades, and probably a whole host of other things I'm forgetting the republican base is yet he fully represents.

Also since he is selling himself as an outsider from political perspective, he can always say "there was profit to be made in this move" or similar and then bombastically yell about having made billions in the past and the audience eats that poo poo with a grin. He was not a politician but a businessman; "true businessmen" do not care about political sides when they are out for profit.

My take is that Trump will not seriously collapse on any political issue, it will be running out of steam and shifting focus to something else (most likely), throwing the fight to support someone with an actual plan (even going to the full VP Trump-strategy but I highly doubt it), or attacking his business empire which will poo poo on his business-image.

The guy has an ego the size of an aircraft carrier and his most important claim to fame is his wallet; why not dig something up from there instead of trying to tie him up with something political, which really has no relevance to his die-hard supporters?

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

The Nastier Nate posted:

Rick Perry is just pissed off that the republican base thinks Trump hates Mexicans more than he does.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

DaveWoo posted:

Nah, Trump is in fact working on putting together a campaign operation. Or more accurately, purchasing one.

More specifically: Purchasing one by hiring away people who work for the Koch brothers. The only thing better than seeing Trump crash and burn while he yells about being rich would be seeing it happen while the biggest political family in the country is crushing him under their boot.

District Selectman posted:

Since 2016 is shaping up to be a poo poo show beyond even 2012, it got me wondering when was the last time a party put up such a string of weak candidates?

Democrats in 2004 and arguably 2000 since Gore's position to run was entire due to being VP and he sure as gently caress couldn't have been a serious contender on his own.

computer parts posted:

Yeah, the funny part is that it took 50 years for the Democrats to elect someone that might've been elected for more than two terms while the Republicans had two people in that same time period (Eisenhower and Reagan).

I really wonder how much different the US would be if we had Ike for another 4-8 years. Especially if it meant never getting Nixon as president.

Carrasco posted:

Walker has one more thing going for him now - he's so innocent the judge ordered all evidence in the case permanently destroyed.

Not that money creates corruption or even the appearance of corruption, but:

The prosecutors can tell them to gently caress right off can't they? Like, a judge telling you "you aren't allowed to do your job" is something they should be able to ignore or at least appeal as blatant politics and corruption. Or call in the Feds and get them to take over the investigation and put the SC on notice that they're next.

I honestly hope these justices die in some horrific fashion. The corruption here's so blatant that the investigators really need to tell them to gently caress off and bring in the Feds.

Yes and Obama was in a car crash where the passenger drowned and ran off.

Wait, so does this mean that Obama's a Greyjoy?

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

A Bag of Milk posted:

I mean, he did mention donating to democrats in his last speech. I guess it got a bit lost amidst the island military bases and hotel competition from ISIS but he basically admitted it and said, 'Of course I did it, that's how politics work. I did it to get things done and make lots of money. Elect me and you won't have to worry about that. I'm far too rich to be bought.'

Basically, Trump just eats scandals and becomes stronger.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

rear end cobra posted:

:smuggo: :shepface:

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Dolash posted:

And the media needs him more than he needs them, and he knows it. I think the problem with the 538 article is not so much taking refuge in polls, but in discounting that the Trump narrative is a media winner. Fox may well boot him off the debate but that'll only encourage CNN. What alternative do they have, they don't want to write about Hillary or Bush unless they have to. Imagine the damage a Trump CNN debate could do, especially if the Fox debate went down in flames.

As an outsider who also loves Campaign Trail '72, I feel that the media narrative distorts campaigns to such a significant degree that Trump will hurt the GOP regardless of any result whatsoever. If they laud him, it hurts, if they try to ignore him, it hurts but we don't get to hear about it. The longer Trump is useful to that narrative also, the more difficult it is to switch away from it barring a heaven-sent event. That's all anyone can count on from now.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Captain_Maclaine posted:

I swear, Callista always has a serious thousand-yard stare going on in every photo I've seen on those two.

Fun fact: her and Adam Sandler are the same age.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

comes along bort posted:

That fact wasn't fun at all! Thanks Obama.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

If Trump were booted from the debate due to a new "No Trumps" rule, I hope he rallies the other candidates exiled for poor performance and hold their own competing debate at the same time - I think Trump's enough of a media draw that if he can put together enough candidates for a debate more people might tune in to that one.

AndNowMax
Sep 25, 2009

Fighting the fight for *mumble* *mumble*

"We'll give him a fair trial. And THEN we'll shoot him!"

Some of the lesser candidates starting to get desperate about being kept out of the debates

Dr. Rand Paul: finally a candidate who supports a strong federal government standing up against the tyranny of Big City

Rubio's Exclusive Prime Day Deal For A New American Presidential Century (0% off)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

comes along bort posted:

:stare:

• Locked thread