Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Cricket
This poll is closed.
Blackface in crowd 129 55.36%
References to Lord of the Rings 104 44.64%
Total: 233 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Oooooh my word almost!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
Excellent batting

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax
Day's end - 1/337.

Pretty leet, yep.

(yeah not overly but i had to point it out)

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
Rogers riding his luck on the line between nicking it and nudging it

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Do you reckon Jimmy shops at Waitrose?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
That was some decent batting to poo poo bowling on a poo poo pitch. England will have to collapse here for a result I feel.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

goatface posted:

Nah, Australia will still be in at Lunch tomorrow.

I should have just said "this pair".

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

serious gaylord posted:

England will have to collapse here for a result I feel.

I have good/bad news...

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Welp, that didn't go to plan....

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
HAHAHA, holy poo poo. I thought it would be a good Aussie score, didnt think it would be THAT good. Good on Rogers, he deserved that.

For all of Smith's awkward movement and poo poo technique, no one has gotten close to figuring him out. Plus yet again he had a think about why he got out last test and didn't even think about trying that again. Long may he make English bowlers suffer

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Don't judge a pitch until both sides have batted imo.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Well this was a nice surprise to wake up to!

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Don't judge a pitch until both sides have batted imo.

I'm sure England will conspire to make it look a minefield when they bat. England.txt has been restored from the archive.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Hey, Australia decided to be not poo poo for a day.

Anyway, Smith owns:

quote:

"Look I was a little bit surprised that Trevor Bayliss would allow Alastair Cook to have a deep point for as long as he did today to be honest. I think it was a good pitch to bat on but they got defensive quite quickly. I know that's one thing we're certainly not going to do."

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
When was the last time someone carried their bat in the first innings?

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:
Australia have a great start in this test, now lets just wait for the rain to ruin it.

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
I think I would rather Watson open then Warner.

Think about it, he never really had an opportunity to prove himself.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
Was a pleasant surprise to wake up to no further loss of wickets, but then my thoughts went to certain draw, then I swung back to R&T's assertion that you don't judge a pitch until both teams have batted, then I started thinking about the possibility of rain. So basically:

gabensraum posted:

Yessss test cricket is the best thing. Can't wait til thursday. Who will be selected, how will they respond, what turns are yet to come? gently caress yessss cricket!

Yesssssss

Teeeeeeesssst

Crickeeeeeerrrrt

:boonie:

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
Steve Smith in first innings the last nine times Australia has batted first: 111, 115, 100, 84, 162*, 192, 117, 199 and 129* last night. Averaging 172.71.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
So he's going alright then

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

hiddenmovement posted:

So he's going alright then

Smith averages 90ish in the first innings and 30 in the second.

Dumb Username
Oct 20, 2012
Guys, I think something's wrong with Ben.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Is Smiths technique that weird. It's a bit like Simon Katich. It doesn't matter what a batsman does as long as his head is nice and still when the ball is released.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Ben Stokes furrowed brow makes him look like a troll from the Hobbit. Specifically Tom.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

As an aside I feel a bit for England. They've been riding this wave of excitement of the "new England". The England of aggressive cricket.

You can see it in the players faces they prefer it. Now I'm not going to attack or defend Cook. He felt the need to stack the off side and try and bore the batsman out. A strategy that very often works. However players like Stokes were getting visibly frustrated by this plan because its not in their nature.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Burn Down Canberra posted:

Is Smiths technique that weird. It's a bit like Simon Katich. It doesn't matter what a batsman does as long as his head is nice and still when the ball is released.

Yes it's weird but frankly look at other good to great batsmen. How many of them had a classic "correct" technique?

Plus it's the whole "Look he's falling over his stumps, bowl at his pads.... poo poo it went for four?" bemusement. Opposition sides are also just not clueing on Smith is not dumb - eg Smith worked out much faster than other batsmen (like say Warner) that clubbing Ali out of the attack wasn't going to work, so he switched to grafting. Or look at the WI tour as Smith worked out how to play to the conditions very fast.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
I think that last night was a ominous sign for anyone thinking Smith is a passing fad. 2 30s made him think wtf am I doing and score a century next innings. Scarily good cricketer.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

Burn Down Canberra posted:

As an aside I feel a bit for England. They've been riding this wave of excitement of the "new England". The England of aggressive cricket.

You can see it in the players faces they prefer it. Now I'm not going to attack or defend Cook. He felt the need to stack the off side and try and bore the batsman out. A strategy that very often works. However players like Stokes were getting visibly frustrated by this plan because its not in their nature.

If the ECB had anything to do with the state of the pitch (they deny they requested a flat wicket) they only have themselves to blame really. It's hard to attack when the pitch is giving you so little.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
Smith's main strength is his adaptability imo. He visibly learned from his innings in Cardiff and the results are tangible at Lord's. He's intelligent.

Noxin of Shame
Jul 25, 2005

:allears: Our Dan :allears:

Shmoses posted:

Steve Smith in first innings the last nine times Australia has batted first: 111, 115, 100, 84, 162*, 192, 117, 199 and 129* last night. Averaging 172.71.

The Smith-o-zone looks pretty loving handy.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Shmoses posted:

Smith's main strength is his adaptability imo. He visibly learned from his innings in Cardiff and the results are tangible at Lord's. He's intelligent.

This is really the main thing about his batting.

If one goes back to how he batted against England at the WACA in 2013 he was much more still at the crease. This was because England were bowling short at him and he was comfortable wipping the ball onto the onside. The reason he does shuffle back and across like an old time batsman is because he was having trouble with the ball moving away from him. Now off stump is more like his middle stump and so he can leave a lot more and he has a lot more time to play his shots. He often changes his trigger movements from over to over.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBhI9njK9zQ

Here is an innings from about a year ago. He is much more traditional at the crease. The pitch has a bit more in it and the South Africans are a good bowling side. He still has a movement across like a lot of batsman but its more orthodox.

Basically the slower and easier the pitch the more he is going to be moving about because he feels that he can take his offstump completely from the game.

EDIT

The biggest issue he will face is getting too clever and a slowing down of his footwork. At the moment his footwork is silly good. That will become more of an issue as he ages. He won't have the reflexes to just bail out of trouble like he thinks he can do against spin bowlers all the time (Ali dismissal aside)

I actually thing Rogers technique is uglier and weirder than Smith. Both players somehow managed to avoid getting too tinkered with by batting coaches over the years but how about the way Rogers plays behind square. It works but its weird.

Burn Down Canberra fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jul 17, 2015

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:

Shmoses posted:

hes now got 10 centuries from 30 career tests, which isnt a bad record by itself but when you consider he didnt score his first century until 12 tests in it definitely looks impressive

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Just saw the score.

LOL.

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

England will want to take more than 1 wicket today I feel.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Isn't 337 in 90 overs a poor run rate?

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

It's probably a little bit higher than average for modern tests. England did bowl quite defensively for much of the day.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
I can see Australia batting through today quite easily.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Australia should declare at or around tea. By then they should be 500-550 runs, which is plenty of runs. Australia want plenty of time to bowl England out twice if the wicket is as flat as 1 wicket in a day suggests.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
all the australian bowlers will have to do to keep the ascendency up is to bounce out the english batting line up again, same plan as cardiff really

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

Just keep batting until Jimmy's legs fall off imo.