Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Five Cent Deposit
Jun 5, 2005

Sestero did not write The Disaster Artist, it's not true! It's bullshit! He did not write it!
*throws water bottle*
He did nahhhhht.

Oh hi, Greg.

Xoidanor posted:

Or just have him wear pants over most of the leg in scenes where he's moving around.

There's no "or" - you and I are saying exactly the same thing. Once you've sold the missing leg with a couple of shots, you continue to portray it by having him walk funny, maybe dressing his real foot a little differently, etc.

Dialog scenes (95% of the show) don't need lingering close-ups of an artificial stump. If and when his "leg" even needs to be in the shot, you shoot around it as best as you can.

I'm guessing there will be fewer than 15 shots in all of S3 which require VFX for Silver's stump. Maybe 10. If I had to put a percentage on it, I would say perhaps 1% of the total VFX budget of the show will go toward that particular gag. Possibly (probably?) half of that, in fact. There will be dozens of shots - hundreds actually, which will cost ten or twenty times as much, on a per shot basis. For example, full CG shots can cost as much as $50,000 or $60,000 a pop at the high end. Sometimes even more. Paint jobs like what was done with Lt. Dan in Forrest Gump could range from $500 to $5000 each, depending on who does them and how hard they are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

How much does it cost to really amputate a leg? Maybe they should just do that. Could save them a lot of money if they have a long run.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Solice Kirsk posted:

How much does it cost to really amputate a leg? Maybe they should just do that. Could save them a lot of money if they have a long run.

$4 hacksaw and a belt to bite down on should do the trick!

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 16 days!

CeeJee posted:

In case the upcoming wait for season 3 is not painful enough after the finale it's been revealed Blackbeard will be played by Ray Stevenson.

beatin' my dick rawer than Silver's stump at this news :flashfap:

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

ful posted:

Could a ship really do that much damage to a town?

For quite a long time, pretty much until Napolean times really, field armies actually didn't lug much artillery around, as they were primarily a weapon to pound into cities and forts during sieges rather than use during pitched battles. The pike and shot era did feature battles that lasted a long-rear end time due to how tercios fighting eachother is basically a big shoving match with dudes ducking under the pikes to try to stab the dudes with the pikes with short swords while preventing themselves and their own pike-wielding dudes being stabbed. Also these formations were tightly packed, so artillery started being somewhat useful due to these factors on the battlefield. I mean, cannon weighed literal tons, were slow to maneuver and reload, and not very accurate.

Ships solve the weight and a good chunk of the maneuvering issues, plus you'd be able to carry so many the reload time and inaccuracy didn't matter as much, it also helps you're primarily shooting at large targets. So what this means is that even just medium size ship would in many cases be equipped with more cannon than entire armies. A bigass Spanish warship might be carrying enough cannon to disembark enough to supply a literal army and still have enough left to give battle. So yes, turning one of those on a small city would absolutely wreck all of the poo poo. Being a captain of even just a frigate, let alone a large warship was a big deal for reasons of firepower at your disposal alone.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SaltLick posted:

$4 hacksaw and a belt to bite down on should do the trick!
Don't forget the rum, that's the most important part!

Orange Devil posted:

For quite a long time, pretty much until Napolean times really, field armies actually didn't lug much artillery around, as they were primarily a weapon to pound into cities and forts during sieges rather than use during pitched battles. The pike and shot era did feature battles that lasted a long-rear end time due to how tercios fighting eachother is basically a big shoving match with dudes ducking under the pikes to try to stab the dudes with the pikes with short swords while preventing themselves and their own pike-wielding dudes being stabbed. Also these formations were tightly packed, so artillery started being somewhat useful due to these factors on the battlefield. I mean, cannon weighed literal tons, were slow to maneuver and reload, and not very accurate.

Ships solve the weight and a good chunk of the maneuvering issues, plus you'd be able to carry so many the reload time and inaccuracy didn't matter as much, it also helps you're primarily shooting at large targets. So what this means is that even just medium size ship would in many cases be equipped with more cannon than entire armies. A bigass Spanish warship might be carrying enough cannon to disembark enough to supply a literal army and still have enough left to give battle. So yes, turning one of those on a small city would absolutely wreck all of the poo poo. Being a captain of even just a frigate, let alone a large warship was a big deal for reasons of firepower at your disposal alone.

Somewhat useful :v:

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
So I just finished season 2 :stare:

This show is... really good. Like, super good. Right now it's probably my favourite thing on TV. And now I have to wait so long for the next season :negative:

Jreedy88
Jun 26, 2005
thirty4
This show is awesome, and it's very reminiscent of Rome to me. I've been trying to convince my friends and family to watch it but "pirate drama" and "Game of Thrones on the high seas" isn't cutting it. Have you managed to convince friends and family to start watching? Do you have any recommendations about how to go about recommending?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hot Bitches, hot dudes, whichever applies.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

Jreedy88 posted:

This show is awesome, and it's very reminiscent of Rome to me. I've been trying to convince my friends and family to watch it but "pirate drama" and "Game of Thrones on the high seas" isn't cutting it. Have you managed to convince friends and family to start watching? Do you have any recommendations about how to go about recommending?

I am having the same problem. My brother and his wife are the only ones I know who have been watching it. I also have this issue with trying to get people to watch Rome, which is probably my favorite show.

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Be sure to take a 15-minute break every hour.

Jreedy88 posted:

Have you managed to convince friends and family to start watching? Do you have any recommendations about how to go about recommending?

That's the biggest draw for me is seeing the path Flint takes that leads to events referred to in Treasure Island. Of course you might not want any spoilers on what happens to Flint if you don't know the story of the book, but it makes it more exciting for me.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

JEEVES420 posted:

I am having the same problem. My brother and his wife are the only ones I know who have been watching it. I also have this issue with trying to get people to watch Rome, which is probably my favorite show.

I managed to get almost everyone in my life to watch through Spartacus despite its early reception but Black Sails has been loving impossible for some reason.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
You'd think people would be way more into Pirate Deadwood. Though Deadwood died its own terrible fart of a death so who knows.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

I managed to sell my best friend on watching Black Sails, he's caught up now and loves the show, so score one for me.

Regulus74
Jul 26, 2007
I just binged both seasons this weekend and am completely blown away by how well made this show is. It really feels like an 18 hour movie and I'd guess that a lot of the pacing issues people seemed to have with this season might stem from having to wait a week for the next episode.

Looking forward to season three and some more ship to ship combat.

Jreedy88 posted:

I've convinced people to start watching by showing them the ship battle in episode V or Flint and Silver arguing over which Spanish captor to shoot in the season two opener. The show wears its influences on its sleeve and there are at least two battle scene homages to Saving Private Ryan so far, it builds emotional investment in the setting through the characters' determination to improve the place they live just like Deadwood did, and the writers consistently demonstrate an understanding of the overarching motifs of their source material.

The only comparison I would draw to GoT is that both shows follow a bunch of different characters and don't take place in modern day. Whoever is handling the purse for Black Sails is sensible enough to budget for great battle scenes and the stakes of its characters' politicking are almost always higher than in GoT. GoT is so packed with unlikeable characters that much of the show can be painful to sit through whereas it's hard to find a scene in Black Sails without a likeable character. "Game of Thrones on the high seas" is selling this show short imo, I'd call it "GoT with competent writers and producers."

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Yeah it's not really anything like GoT, except that, like GoT, it's also a step above regular television

Rarrgh
Nov 7, 2011
I also think Black Sails is better than GOT.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Wool is a helluva fabric.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.

All the better to help him build those sexy arm muscles. :allears:

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Is that how heavy the actual uniforms were? That's insane.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

SaltLick posted:

Is that how heavy the actual uniforms were? That's insane.

Hey man the QA team said they worked great. In London. During winter.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
No wonder they always drowned, imagine that but soaking wet? it'd weight like 30 kg.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Rocksicles posted:

No wonder they always drowned, imagine that but soaking wet? it'd weight like 30 kg.

as long as they looked bad rear end while doing it.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Just finished binging Season 2 after waiting too long. I found Season 1 to be alright and decent but very forgettable. Season 2 was possibly the best season of TV I've ever seen outside of Justified Season 2 and all of Deadwood. I was yelling so loudly when Vane agrees to rescue Flint. When Vane signals and the cannons on the fort start destroying the Charleston square I almost fell out of my seat I was shouting so hard. god drat this season ended in the best loving way possible!!

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Pron on VHS posted:

Just finished binging Season 2 after waiting too long. I found Season 1 to be alright and decent but very forgettable. Season 2 was possibly the best season of TV I've ever seen outside of Justified Season 2 and all of Deadwood. I was yelling so loudly when Vane agrees to rescue Flint. When Vane signals and the cannons on the fort start destroying the Charleston square I almost fell out of my seat I was shouting so hard. god drat this season ended in the best loving way possible!!

Welcome, Black Sails brother.

I'm rewatching season 1 right now. I really miss Mr. Gates.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Right but how heavy is the coat?

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

Right but how heavy is the coat?

As heavy as all of Flint's crushed dreams. As heavy as Vane's balls. So heavy even Billy's forearms struggle to lift it.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Just wanted to update you guys. We got nominated for emmys again. Probably wont win as getting 2 in a row is hard but yeah :unsmith:

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Well deserved

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Well done!

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
This excellent show got renewed for a fourth season!

quote:

Pirate drama Black Sails is officially Starz’s flagship series after the pay cable network picked up a 10-episode fourth season of the show created by Jonathan E. Steinberg and Robert Levine and executive produced by Michael Bay. The announcement comes as Black Sails wrapped production on Season 3 and was made by Starz CEO Chris Albrecht at the top of the network’s TCA presentation today.

This marks another early renewal for the adventure drama, whose third season is not slated to premiere until early 2016, as it needs long production lead times. The pickups of Season 2, 3 and now 4 all have come months before the previous installment had debuted. Black Sails also is the first Starz original series to go beyond 3 seasons, a high water mark previously set by Spartacus: Blood and Sand (which also did a prequel miniseries) and Da Vinci’s Demons.

Black Sails follows the most feared pirate of the day, Captain Flint (Toby Stephens), and takes place twenty years prior to Robert Louis Stevenson’s classic “Treasure Island.” The upcoming third season is adding Rome alum Ray Stevenson as the famed pirate Blackbeard.

The first two seasons of Black Sails averaged 4.5 million multi-platform viewers per episode, per Starz estimates, and the series is distributed in over 175 countries and territories worldwide. It won won two Emmy Awards in 2014, for special and visual effects and sound editing.

Bay executive produces Black Sails with his Platinum Dunes partners Brad Fuller and Andrew Form, as well as Chris Symes and Dan Shotz.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Geez, Starz is pretty desperate.
Not that I'm complaining, the show is great.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
That's awesome news,. it gives them plenty of time to build sets, find cast... etc.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
im glad of it

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

So pumped one of the best shows recently. We're supposed to be getting Blackbeard this season right?

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

Invalid Validation posted:

So pumped one of the best shows recently. We're supposed to be getting Blackbeard this season right?

Titus Pullo Blackbeard. THIRTEEN!

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

i kinda hope they just end up doing treasure island in the end

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

Rocksicles posted:

That's awesome news,. it gives them plenty of time to build sets, find cast... etc.

Also to use a cliffhanger ending with full surety the show will be coming back. I don't know how much they can change scripts but it's nice when stories like this can wrap up on their own terms without having to worry about being picked up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Still relevant:

I'm hoping we get a good intro to Blackbeard this coming season.

• Locked thread