Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
General Specific
Jun 22, 2007

I had one of those, but the front wheel fell off and I had to get rid of it.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Play Theathrhythm and you can tap along to it!

In other news, did you know there's data for Seifer's Gunblade?

Now I wanna see Seifer and Squall dueling with presidents as melee weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

General Specific posted:

"RICHARD!"
"MICHAEL!"

There would be a lot more problems than Squall getting a forehead cut with those two involved.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Huey slices Truman in half.
Sighs, sheathes Katana.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
This was always one of my favorite dungeons, and almost solely because The Stage Is Set is such a good theme.

There is kind of a piece of in-game lore that explains why the Garden flies, but it just raises more questions than it answers.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.

General Specific posted:

Not quite there, but in MGS2 the President of the United States wielded a pair of swords named Democrat and Republican.

He'd probably fit in here.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Aithon posted:

Not quite there, but in MGS2 the President of the United States wielded a pair of swords named Democrat and Republican.

I.... don't remember the swords being named?
How is it you can get the scan on Seifer's gunblade?

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Aithon posted:

Never realised before but MGS2 and 4 are pretty similar to FFVIII in there approach to story; really cool set pieces connected by a batshit crazy plot. And we're not quite there yet but the worst plot point is explained away by nanomachines crazy GF shenanigans.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Two Finger posted:

I.... don't remember the swords being named?
How is it you can get the scan on Seifer's gunblade?

The wiki says they're named that in Japanese, but I don't actually know if it's mentioned in the game.

As far as I know, the gunblade scan data was found by messing with the game's code, there's no actual way to access it normally. I guess that's why it has Gerogero's description, they just used random text from elsewhere as a placeholder because it would never be used anyway.

Cool Ghost
Apr 13, 2012

MORE YOU SWEAT、
LESS YOU BLEED。
MORE YOU WEEP、
LESS GAME OVERS。
...OVER
I think I've read that the gunblade scan exists because they needed to make the gunblade a separate entity in the battle so Seifer could use it, since characters' weapons aren't attached to the characters.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Odd that Seifer's gunblade would work like the other character's weapons, since you can never change it anyway. Maybe it was easier to make him work like the other party members, for consistency's sake.

Oh, right, since we're talking about Scan and I don't remember if it came up yet: Cool Ghost, are you going to show off casting Scan on your own party? There's nothing major, just little blurbs on characters, but I remember really loving that it was a thing that worked. I like when my video game magic works consistently. :3:

Cool Ghost
Apr 13, 2012

MORE YOU SWEAT、
LESS YOU BLEED。
MORE YOU WEEP、
LESS GAME OVERS。
...OVER
I'll try to remember to do Scan on the party members. Honestly, I forget that Scan even exists when I play the game.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

Cool Ghost posted:

I'll try to remember to do Scan on the party members. Honestly, I forget that Scan even exists when I play the game.

Mind if I mention something about scanning party members?

Cool Ghost
Apr 13, 2012

MORE YOU SWEAT、
LESS YOU BLEED。
MORE YOU WEEP、
LESS GAME OVERS。
...OVER

Silegna posted:

Mind if I mention something about scanning party members?

Go ahead.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
All of this is pretty much peak FF8, that is, a completely nonsensical premise that nonetheless could be construed as "cool". I have nothing against that, I do have a problem with how seriously FF8 takes itself in one scene while doubling down on the batshit insane in the next. FF7 for example is equally batshit, but it never really tries to be ~our characters are actually teenagers and struggle with the hardships of life~, they're all as hosed in the head as plot is and that's fine.

One little detail I want to point out as very typical: Cid says that "the intercom doesn't work, so we can't tell everybody about the missiles" or somesuch. Why wouldn't it work? Just because of the chaos going on...right now...exactly when the missiles are about to hit the garden...? It's just a minor detail among contrivances, but it always irked me, because it's again an easy way out nobody really would have considered (Cid has no idea - somehow - that the Garden can float, maybe he also has no idea that the Garden has an Intercom), but they need to explain that this is not an option, because of course, otherwise the plot wouldn't make sense, you know?

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Simply Simon posted:

One little detail I want to point out as very typical: Cid says that "the intercom doesn't work, so we can't tell everybody about the missiles" or somesuch. Why wouldn't it work? Just because of the chaos going on...right now...exactly when the missiles are about to hit the garden...? It's just a minor detail among contrivances, but it always irked me, because it's again an easy way out nobody really would have considered (Cid has no idea - somehow - that the Garden can float, maybe he also has no idea that the Garden has an Intercom), but they need to explain that this is not an option, because of course, otherwise the plot wouldn't make sense, you know?

this is a trope of pretty much all movies/stories/etc.--the one thing you need at some point to be working is the thing that is not. if everything were working correctly, there wouldn't be any tension.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

morallyobjected posted:

this is a trope of pretty much all movies/stories/etc.--the one thing you need at some point to be working is the thing that is not. if everything were working correctly, there wouldn't be any tension.

And when it does absolutely no good, it works perfectly fine.

For example; see FFX Home "I'm an annoying ****, I'm an annoying ****"

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

Alright, some facts about scanning party members.
The scans mention important facets of the characters.
Squall: It mentions he's a master of the Gunblade
Zell: Hot dogs.
Selphie's scan is unique, in that you can't turn her on her Y axis due to her skirt.
I don't remember the others scan entries, if anyone else does, or wants to correct me on something, go ahead.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Simply Simon posted:

All of this is pretty much peak FF8, that is, a completely nonsensical premise that nonetheless could be construed as "cool". I have nothing against that, I do have a problem with how seriously FF8 takes itself in one scene while doubling down on the batshit insane in the next. FF7 for example is equally batshit, but it never really tries to be ~our characters are actually teenagers and struggle with the hardships of life~, they're all as hosed in the head as plot is and that's fine.

Funny thing is that none of them are really teenagers, bar Yuffie and Red XIII. Cloud's in his early 20s, which is pretty old for a JRPG protagonist.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Cloud is in his early twenties in JRPG years, which means he's probably, in reality, closer to his late twenties/early thirties.

JRPG years are weird.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

SpookyLizard posted:

Cloud is in his early twenties in JRPG years, which means he's probably, in reality, closer to his late twenties/early thirties.

JRPG years are weird.

I've said it before. JRPGs take Joan of Arc's career trajectory and plot it over all of human history.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Aithon posted:

Odd that Seifer's gunblade would work like the other character's weapons, since you can never change it anyway. Maybe it was easier to make him work like the other party members, for consistency's sake.

Oh, right, since we're talking about Scan and I don't remember if it came up yet: Cool Ghost, are you going to show off casting Scan on your own party? There's nothing major, just little blurbs on characters, but I remember really loving that it was a thing that worked. I like when my video game magic works consistently. :3:
i got really sad when no other FF game had as detailed Scans as this game.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
FFX-2 has about the same level of Scan detail, but a bit sillier overall.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

ApplesandOranges posted:

Funny thing is that none of them are really teenagers, bar Yuffie and Red XIII. Cloud's in his early 20s, which is pretty old for a JRPG protagonist.

Yeah, FF7 actually has really reasonable ages. There's only one character younger than 20, and of the human non-vampire cast, the average age is well above 20. Aeris is shockingly old (23) for a JRPG female lead.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jul 17, 2015

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

So, I've just finished reading the whole thread (great LP, by the way Cool Ghost). And here's something cool I found:

A while back (when it was relevant) someone mentioned that the dancers in the Deling parade FMVs are doing moves from the Michael Jackson Thriller video. This intrigued me a little, so I went to Youtube to see if I could find a comparison video or something. But instead, I found this, and my mind was completely blown -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5p_ENriuXqk

That's some Dark Side of the Moon poo poo, right there. Moreso, in fact as I cannot believe it's not intentional.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I wish the game now has voice acting, if just only if we could have had Vincent Price be one of the voices.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Comrade Fakename posted:

So, I've just finished reading the whole thread (great LP, by the way Cool Ghost). And here's something cool I found:

A while back (when it was relevant) someone mentioned that the dancers in the Deling parade FMVs are doing moves from the Michael Jackson Thriller video. This intrigued me a little, so I went to Youtube to see if I could find a comparison video or something. But instead, I found this, and my mind was completely blown -

That's some Dark Side of the Moon poo poo, right there. Moreso, in fact as I cannot believe it's not intentional.

:dogbutton:

Cool Ghost, please make sure that post makes it into the archive when this is added. :stare:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Comrade Fakename posted:

Welp, that's probably the greatest thing I'm ever going to see.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Well, that was a good thing to see before bed

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Comrade Fakename posted:

Holy poo poo. :stare:

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Either it's sheer coincidence or it was intentional. That just works too perfectly.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

That was goddamn incredible.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

Huuuuuhhhh....

You know, I'll never consider this a good Final Fantasy.

But stuff like this and the whole movie-thing-from-earlier revelation have admittedly made my respect for this game go up a fair bit.

I look forward to the next moment of :aaaaa:

KapmK
Sep 19, 2013
That was pretty amazing. It even works without any context. In fact, it may be better without context.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

KapmK posted:

FFVIII, may be better without context.

Weavered fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Jul 18, 2015

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

This reminds me of something I didn't get a chance to mention back during the parade, but I really appreciate how the Sorceress' magic isn't limited to attack spells. It helps to sell her as a credible threat that she can just do weird poo poo like phasing through doors instead of opening them, and animating statues.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Keeshhound posted:

This reminds me of something I didn't get a chance to mention back during the parade, but I really appreciate how the Sorceress' magic isn't limited to attack spells. It helps to sell her as a credible threat that she can just do weird poo poo like phasing through doors instead of opening them, and animating statues.

I always found the idea of a war against the sorceress mind-boggling. Not against the sorceress' army (which yes, was what it was), but an entire war waged against one person, and that war had thousands of casualties on the anti-sorceress side, plus it hosed up the magnetic field of the planet enough to make radio transmission impossible.

At that point I figured there wasn't much the sorceress couldn't do.

Cool Ghost
Apr 13, 2012

MORE YOU SWEAT、
LESS YOU BLEED。
MORE YOU WEEP、
LESS GAME OVERS。
...OVER
Part Forty-Two: Mobile

Squall managed to save the Garden by flipping some switches in the basement, and now:

We're moving.

There are a couple entries in the Information section that deal with why the Garden can move:

MD Level posted:

Balamb Garden's foundation. The original structure of Centra Shelter remains almost entirely intact. Entry is strictly forbidden.

Centra Shelter posted:

(Later became the Garden building.) Ancient Centra people spread around the world after Centra was destroyed by the Lunar Cry. People used mobile Centra Shelters to move around the world. Many ruined shelters are found around the world.

So, basically, the Garden was built from a building that could move. Now you know.

Quistis and Rinoa are pretty impressed at the fact that this place can fly.

Probably a lot of people freaking out.

: Come on, Squall, let's go.

Actually, what would you do if the building you were in took off? I don't think many people have a contingency plan for that.

: Squall, let's go see.

Rinoa leaves directly after her line, but Quistis sticks around.

Literally no reason not to.

Rinoa's just waiting at the bottom of the elevator.

Yeah, looks like people runnin' around and freakin' out.

This seems like a decent response to a civil war followed by Garden taking flight.

Fun fact: we talked to this guy a long time ago, and his dialogue choices got the same responses back then as they do now.

Over here is one of the goddamn Trepies. I wish these guys had been expelled or something.

Freaked-Out Girl: Ok, ok, just calm down. Take a deep breath. Phew. First, the Garden Master's men started rounding up SeeDs. Then, the fighting began... All of a sudden, the Garden began to shake violently. Then, the missiles came... And now we're flying...

This girl gives you a quick little rundown of recent events in case you'd forgotten.

And over here is the Garden's resident slacker, who's somehow still around.

The whole thing with the missiles makes NORG's thing look kind of petty.

This kid is just psyched to be flying around.

The only thing down the hall is the emergency exit, and I know how breaking rules goes in this hallway.

Fine, I'll succumb to peer pressure this time.

We can't actually go out the emergency exit.

We can, however, go out this other door that nobody's ever really mentioned before.

It's the bird door.

Nah, it actually leads to this tiny balcony.

Squall and Quistis walk calmly, but Rinoa runs over.

This is probably pretty impressive.

Rinoa's enjoying it.

Naturally, you only get this scene if she's here.

The Garden is really quite large.

:eng101: You can get a bug here that makes it impossible to re-enter the Garden after Rinoa's scene if you try to go in while the game's still in FMV mode.

As soon as we're back inside, Xu comes around. Let's go see what Cid needs.

That seems bad.

Headmaster Cid: We're going to crash into the town of Balamb if we don't do something!

Yeah, definitely bad.

: No way! Can't we do something!?
: We have to do something, fast!

You could try not standing around and yelling about it.

No?

Okay, we're going with "no" on this one.

: Squall do something!
: Squall!

That's a lot of pressure to put on Squall. Note that every character's lines here are just some variety of yelling for Squall to solve the problem, which is pretty fuckin' weak.

Squall, having no other recourse, just runs over to the console and starts going nuts.

There's a lot of button pressing here.

It makes something happen.

Well, that's better good luck than good management.

Here's a shot of Balamb, including this guy they didn't want to make an FMV model for.

He probably needs new pants now.

At least he's alive.

Thanks for the help, Trepe.

:sigh:

I hope the Garden's watertight.

"Everyone" can gently caress off. Squall did that.

Headmaster Cid: I think the worst is behind us for now.
: ...Where are we heading?
Headmaster Cid: We'll drift along for the time being...until we figure out how to maneuver the Garden. So, it looks like we can finally relax for a while. And spend some time considering what to do next.

I guess Cid lived in his office.

Well, at least everyone's safe.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
I think everyone who played this and just remembers Squall being "whiny" forgets that literally everyone turns to him to solve their problems at every instance when he just graduated from the military academy. He has a bunch of practical experience fighting on his own and some theoretical education, but the mission with the Owls was the first time he led anybody, and then all this poo poo happened.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

morallyobjected posted:

I think everyone who played this and just remembers Squall being "whiny" forgets that literally everyone turns to him to solve their problems at every instance when he just graduated from the military academy. He has a bunch of practical experience fighting on his own and some theoretical education, but the mission with the Owls was the first time he led anybody, and then all this poo poo happened.

Which is just another example of bad writing. There's no reason for everyone to turn to Squall for everything other than "well he's the protagonist!" It just gets worse as the game goes on, but this game has a serious case of "the entire world revolves around the main character just because."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Well, it makes some sense when it's just the students, since Squall is their official leader and clearly the most competent of the lot. It becomes a bit more debatable with Quistis in the team, considering she has far more experience, but it's also true that she's incompetent enough to get kicked out of her teaching career so she's untrustworthy and she trusts Squall.

Now, this? This only makes Cid look terrible. "OH NO EVERYTHING'S FAILING SQUALL DO SOMETHING". It's not even that he called for anyone to help, the moment things failed, he called Squall in. He called the teenager whose entire training is in beating people up with his Gunblade, to pilot a ship. Specifically him. And everyone else, in panic, were pushing the point even more. It's really, really hard to blame Squall for how he reacts when everyone's apparently 1) completely useless and 2) absolutely dependent on him and him alone.

I honestly just feel sad for the guy at this point. Being the one competent person in the world must be hard.

• Locked thread