Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
A few details to clean up here and there - but here we go...

Just a good ol' boy, the General Lufgt of House Hazzard, Badab.

Next up, Herbie the Love Knight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Tuxedo Jack posted:

Love it.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Yeah!

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Was that your recommendation? When it was posted I immediately put it on my to do list.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Ya done good, Jack. Real good.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

Tuxedo Jack posted:

This is really great.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

I updated it to add the shoulderpad - if this is in bad taste tell me so I can repaint it again...

Tuxedo Jack fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jul 16, 2015

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

Tuxedo Jack posted:

I updated it to add the shoulderpad - if this is in bad taste tell me so I can repaint it again...

I like it a lot, but why no Astral Claws/Maelstrom Warriors symbols anywhere? I guess the latter kind of resembles a swastika if you squint, so maybe just find a place for the lion.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Tuxedo Jack posted:

I think the shoulderpad is a good homage without actually being a confederate flag.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
It looks great, though I prefer the mystery machine spirit, can't wait to see what you do with Herbie.

I've just cut off sprues and assembled 130 Chaos Cultists. (I'm short 2 bases, bah).

I need to get them undercoated and a bunch of them painted tomorrow. Posting this so people can shame me if I haven't at least got them all base coated with one colour tomorrow.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

It's loving great and I'll fight anyone who says otherwise.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Sulecrist posted:

I like it a lot, but why no Astral Claws/Maelstrom Warriors symbols anywhere? I guess the latter kind of resembles a swastika if you squint, so maybe just find a place for the lion.

I was going to freehand it, but my practice runs weren't looking so hot - so I will add it after I can order a transfer sheet (unless anyone has an Astral Claws transfer sheet and is willing to part with a few clippings).

Sigma-X posted:

I think the shoulderpad is a good homage without actually being a confederate flag.

Thanks. I think it really needed those colors to tie it together. I will probably repaint the Aquila on the front to gold or all red... Not sure... The other option is finding a Charger model kit and pulling the billeted badge out.

Like this:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Forgive an ignorant question, when I last played, Imperial Knights were not a thing. When I first saw one, my first thought was 'Warmachine'. Were these things introduced as an answer to Warmachines, or are they an old part of 40k that I just never saw?

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
So this is apparently the Victoria Miniatures cannon form the Reaper kickstarter:

Looks pretty baller, especially for the price.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

victrix posted:

Forgive an ignorant question, when I last played, Imperial Knights were not a thing. When I first saw one, my first thought was 'Warmachine'. Were these things introduced as an answer to Warmachines, or are they an old part of 40k that I just never saw?

Very old. Like orginal epic old. Finally modeled... just doesnt look much like the old models but the right size.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

PantsOptional posted:

So this is apparently the Victoria Miniatures cannon form the Reaper kickstarter:

Is that going to be made from that, apparently, god awful substance Bones like to use?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

LingcodKilla posted:

Very old. Like orginal epic old. Finally modeled... just doesnt look much like the old models but the right size.

As a follow up, is the whole 'monstrous thing' (and flyer to a lesser extent) a newish introduction? I've been checking out battle reports and I see Wraithknights, Riptides, some sort of goofy rear end space marine in power armor in power armor thing, etc, all over the place.

They're all pretty cool looking, just a little jarring seeing so many big huge chunky dudes on the field.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

Is that going to be made from that, apparently, god awful substance Bones like to use?

Apparently they've figured out how to make a hard version of the PVC they use for Bones. It says the package will be a mix of hard and soft, so I'd suspect the crew will be soft PVC.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

victrix posted:

As a follow up, is the whole 'monstrous thing' (and flyer to a lesser extent) a newish introduction? I've been checking out battle reports and I see Wraithknights, Riptides, some sort of goofy rear end space marine in power armor in power armor thing, etc, all over the place.

They're all pretty cool looking, just a little jarring seeing so many big huge chunky dudes on the field.

Yeah, they are trying to turn the game into 40k Epic scale but with the larget models. Everything is a push to larger and more badass models to get you to spend spend spend! Frankly I detest it because I always felt that 40k worked best as a skirmish game but just too damned expensive and bogs too much at higher point level (where all these drat tanks and giant robots show up).

Just my taste though.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
It's been especially prevalent with Tyranids. Hive Tyrants and Carnifexes put next to a guardsman for scale would be about 20 feet tall. They'd be pretty drat big and scary in real life. But everything released in the last few years for Tyranids makes those two look downright small. Exocrines, Crones, Tyrannocites, Tervigons, etc. They're all massive. Maleceptors and Toxicrenes especially I feel could have been no bigger than a Carnifex, buy GW has been so gung-ho with bigger is better that you get these ludicrously oversized models. It's really annoying to try to transport them too, especially things with big tentacles and arms like Toxicrnes, Tyrannocites and Dimachaerons.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Master Twig posted:

Exocrines, Crones, Tyrannocites, Tervigons, etc. Toxicrnes, Tyrannocites and Dimachaerons.

:stare:

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Fellow goons... Tonight I will be embarking on a great crusade... A crusade that will see our beloved Imperium brought to the edge of extinction. I will attempt to advance the storyline in a non-derpy way. May the Emperor have mercy on my soul...

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

should be coloris haec, probably, but whatever

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

That's generally people's reactions to them, yeah. Doesn't hurt that most of them are pretty good ruleswise too.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

PierreTheMime posted:

That's generally people's reactions to them, yeah. Doesn't hurt that most of them are pretty good ruleswise too.

Most people cant believe the Dimachaeron isnt a GC, then its :stare: all over again when they find out I have two.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

I could build a list at 1850 that is nothing but models on large oval bases and not have a single repeated unit. (except the two mucolid spores to fill out my troop choices).

Tervigon HQ, Exocrine, and Trygon in Heavy Support, Dimachaeron, Crone and Harpy in Fast Attack, Haruspex, Toxicrene and Maleceptor in Elite. I don't know how many points that comes to, and that particular list would be bad, but it's definitely doable.

Hell, I've many times ran lists that were all monstrous creatures except for a squad or two of Termagants. Ran one such list against Naramyth in the last tournament I played.

Hencoe posted:

Most people cant believe the Dimachaeron isnt a GC, then its :stare: all over again when they find out I have two.

Two Dimachaerons in two Tyrannocites is loving great. I'm just sad that the big local GT is not allowing you to run more than one of any Forgeworld unit.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Tuxedo Jack posted:

Well done. :golfclap:

Flavor Truck
Nov 5, 2007

My Love for You is like a Truck
Are Dark Eldar arguably the most black metal army you can field, or are Slaanesh minions way more varg?

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

BuffaloChicken posted:

Also, I showed her the big Bones Cthulhu model... wonder how an Imperial Knight functions alongside Daemons?

So, this is a couple pages back, but I just got that model in the mail today (thanks bachtere!) and I took some measurements and photos of it assembled.

This baby is big. REAL big. He can easily stand in for a Chaos Knight if you so wanted, though the size of the tail might be an issue. It comes in 8 parts: base, body, 2 arms, head, tail, and 2 wings. They all slot together reasonably well, and in the photos there I haven't glued a single thing together so the fittings are pretty snug. My only issue is that the base is warped a little, so making him stand up is a bit of a pain, but that's nothing a hot water treatment can't fix. Otherwise it's a great model, and I could see some pretty rad conversions coming from it.

General size comparison:

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar
Just a heads up, I check ebay once a day to see if there are any deals and there was this lot - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Warhammer-Metal-Figure-Parts-Mixed-Lot-/371378838330?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5677e75b3a no bids yet and it looks like a lot of very OOP RT stuff including some reaaaally old marines, 1 super old terminator, and what might be an Ork Dreadnought? Along with a bunch of 2nd/3rd ed metals.

I almost bid on it but realized I really had no use for it, nostalgia aside.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Direwolf posted:

Just a heads up, I check ebay once a day to see if there are any deals and there was this lot - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Warhammer-Metal-Figure-Parts-Mixed-Lot-/371378838330?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5677e75b3a no bids yet and it looks like a lot of very OOP RT stuff including some reaaaally old marines, 1 super old terminator, and what might be an Ork Dreadnought? Along with a bunch of 2nd/3rd ed metals.

I almost bid on it but realized I really had no use for it, nostalgia aside.

ding ding ding

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

Irate Tree posted:

Start out with a bunch of nose-picking conscripts; go out on missions in a Valkyrie, search out for Cults, Orks or whatever would be causing trouble on your world! End game is having a bunch of Toy Soldiers, decked out in the best wargear a Veteran Guardsman could ever hope to hold and to wear, duking it out against a Chaos Invasion/Necron Harvest/Tyranid Swarm/DEldar fuckfest - WHATEVER!
Seriously, any ONE of those things would be rad as gently caress and the amount of DLC they could put out would have them raking it in, hand over fist!

This game would never be made unless it was with Space Marines.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

PantsOptional posted:

How do I buy this?

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Arven posted:

How do I buy this?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1513061270/reaper-miniatures-bones-3-the-search-for-mr-bones

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Go to the link that Slim gave and back it at whatever level you like. If you just want this one item, put in for $1 and adjust the pledge as the campaign wraps up, adding in the cannon and whatever else tickles your fancy. It does have to hit the 1.31M mark though, which probably won't be a problem.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
I figured it out, thanks!

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008
Thanks for sharing! Apparently the Mansions game with an expansion pack nets you a solid 1,000pts of Daemons (after adding upgrades). My favorite is the posse of insane detectives, with the two-pistol caped guy as a champion with shotgun and the tommygun guy as either an autogun or heavy stubber.

Add in Cthulhu and you can probably tweak it up to 1500.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

BuffaloChicken posted:

Thanks for sharing! Apparently the Mansions game with an expansion pack nets you a solid 1,000pts of Daemons (after adding upgrades). My favorite is the posse of insane detectives, with the two-pistol caped guy as a champion with shotgun and the tommygun guy as either an autogun or heavy stubber.

Add in Cthulhu and you can probably tweak it up to 1500.

The Chaos Knights are basically the same price as Imperial ones so you can easily bump it up to 1500 depending on what God you choose; Nurgle gives it IWND which seems appropriate for Cthulhu, but Tzeentch just gives rerolls of 1 to hit which doesn't affect its big guns. You could make a case for Slaanesh by saying YOU CANNOT GRASP THE TRUE FORM etc etc. for the Leadership check rather than Sexy Times Cthulhu. Khorne is the best mark out of the bunch, but that's less easy to fluff.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer
Hi Thread,

In preparation for getting my dick knocked inside out this Saturday, and also because the loving thing is finally worth taking maybe, I started painting up a Dark Angel jet. This is about 90% done - I still need to finish the base and put a few more coats on the white wing part to smooth things out - but gently caress it, I'm posting the drat thing. I'm not crazy about the top part of it, I think the white still looks like poo poo and highlighting the black gives me loving migraines for some reason, but the bottom came out pretty well I guess?

I'll wrap this dumb thing up tomorrow, and then if I put every single painted model I have on the table, it's a legal, if lovely, 2000 point army.

EDIT: I need a better photo set up, or to take pictures earlier in the day, when I still give a poo poo.

ANAmal.net fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jul 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Bone on the underside was a pro maneuver. If I ever get one of those things for my DA, I'll be stealing that idea for sure.

• Locked thread