Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner

Zwille posted:

Switch the region to US and reboot - you should have the News app then. I'm not sure but I think you couldn't tap those stories even with the app active. File it as a bug.

Oh yeah, I know about changing region to US (although now a lot of my apps use Miles instead of KM,) I admit I haven't tried tapping on news stories from search since then, though. I'm assuming it'll be fixed before GM anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I found a hilarious bug: If I'm watching a video at work on my phone with my Bluetooth headphones, if I press the pause button on my headphones to pause the video, it pauses the video and then immediately starts playing my music app, which is apparently set to a different volume than the video. So if I'm listening to the video at a reasonable level of volume and then pause it, music starts up and practically deafens me :haw:

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
Is there any way to get the iOS 9 beta other than over the air? It keeps being stuck on checking for update, even after I leave it there for 15 minutes.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Watching everyone spam their banks because Apple Pay is apparently launching in the UK today is hilarious. It's 12:10am; unless you're wanting to go to the petrol station, you can wait until morning!

LoSesMC
Feb 13, 2009

mentholmoose posted:

Is there any way to get the iOS 9 beta other than over the air? It keeps being stuck on checking for update, even after I leave it there for 15 minutes.

If you ...acquire the iOS 9 beta ipsw you can do control+update in iTunes without a registered UDID

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Am I just missing something, or can I no longer turn off music not on my device with iTunes Match?

The switch is gone. It was working fine until yesterday (and I thought the switch was there, in settings, but could be wrong), then overnight, all my music appeared. Sigh.

iPhone 5S, iOS 8.4

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I didn't see it mentioned here, but Apple pushed out a patch for iTunes that's supposed to fix some of the Match/Music issues.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

Krakkles posted:

Am I just missing something, or can I no longer turn off music not on my device with iTunes Match?

The switch is gone. It was working fine until yesterday (and I thought the switch was there, in settings, but could be wrong), then overnight, all my music appeared. Sigh.

iPhone 5S, iOS 8.4

It's actually IN the music app now. You have to click on artists or whatever sorting option under the album photos and there will be a toggle in the bottom. Took me a few days to find it.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

cryptoclastic posted:

It's actually IN the music app now. You have to click on artists or whatever sorting option under the album photos and there will be a toggle in the bottom. Took me a few days to find it.
I love you. Thank you!!!

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Any tips for speeding up a sluggish 4S? I had no real problems until the past few weeks, and now my phone is really unresponsive. Just typing letters on the keyboard, in a chat window or browser URL bar for example, has about one second of lag between the key press and the letter showing up. This type of behavior persists across apps. Is a factory reset worth trying, or are there some easy fixes I can try out first?

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

I recently got a new digitizer/screen replacement for my 6 from eBay and since I put it in my battery life is terrible. I've had 46 minutes usage and 2 hours standby since my last full change and I'm already down to 80%. I know this doesn't sound too bad but I'm SURE it used to perform a lot better than this. Has anyone else had a similar issue?

JamesOff
Dec 12, 2002

What a frightening beast!

Thirteenth Step posted:

I recently got a new digitizer/screen replacement for my 6 from eBay and since I put it in my battery life is terrible. I've had 46 minutes usage and 2 hours standby since my last full change and I'm already down to 80%. I know this doesn't sound too bad but I'm SURE it used to perform a lot better than this. Has anyone else had a similar issue?

What does Settings > General > Usage > Battery Usage say is sucking the power?

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

JamesOff posted:

What does Settings > General > Usage > Battery Usage say is sucking the power?

I'm down to 74% now and it says

Home and Lock Screen 20%
Facebook 17%
Whatsapp 14%
Safari 10%

the rest are all small usages.

Would a loose connection cause the drain somehow? Maybe I hosed up putting the connectors back?

Voodoo
Jun 3, 2003

m2sbr what
Man I wish there was a better solution when it comes to the Genius Bar. Of the five Apple Stores closest to me, the next available iPhone appointment is tomorrow night. The closest one doesn't have any openings for three and a half days.

Luckily the sixth furthest one has one single appointment this afternoon, so I guess I got lucky there.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

My closest Apple store is over an hour away. #firstworldproblems

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

My closest Apple Store is within walking distance, and has appointments open basically all day. Suckers.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
You also live in MN or something. I guess you can't have your cake and eat it too.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Jose Oquendo posted:

You also live in MN or something. I guess you can't have your cake and eat it too.

What's that supposed to mean?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

What's that supposed to mean?

insane jealousy :smug:

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

carry on then posted:

insane jealousy :smug:

Case in point:

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I don't think that's even all of them.

E: Also you apparently work like, right next to where I work.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
Southdale Apple Store is the best. Thing is like always empty.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Me, I'm only two and a half hours north of one... Luckily there's a few awesome shops up here that have great repair rates.

I knew when Luigi said he was within walking distance in MN that it was the Uptown location.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Hello, good people. I have a problem I was hoping you could help me with:

My father recently got a 6 from his job and wants to give my mother his old 4S (I think) (yeah I know it's poo poo but she's never had an iPhone but wants to try it out before maybe buying a 6+ when it arrives). The problem is this: I can't seem to erase the drat phone. I don't know what my father has tried, but it is something and it didn't work. When the phone is locked, it says that the owner has lost his phone and it shows my father's number. The old SIM card got disabled when the card for the 6 got activated, and now the phone stops and asks for the SIM code when you unlock it and try to start it. Since the old SIM card is disabled the iPhone says it can't activate itself. Is there any way at all to activate the phone so I can erase it and give it to my mother?

e: drat, that was messy, sorry. Too much sun today.

edit 2: never mind, problem solved!

Xabi fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Jul 16, 2015

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Anyone else rocking iOS 9 not able to use the volume button to take a picture? This is like the biggest bug bothering me. Haha. You don't realize how much you miss something till it quits working. I'm on a 6.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Disappointing Pie posted:

Anyone else rocking iOS 9 not able to use the volume button to take a picture? This is like the biggest bug bothering me. Haha. You don't realize how much you miss something till it quits working. I'm on a 6.
Report it to Apple.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Endless Mike posted:

Report it to Apple.

It's a known issue/lacking feature. It'll get put back.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I tried googling it but generic terms hurt. Has anyone used Apple Music on the PC iTunes? The mobile version is fine but I can't actually seem to figure out how to use it on PC, if it's available.
I do have the newest iTunes.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Snacksmaniac posted:

I tried googling it but generic terms hurt. Has anyone used Apple Music on the PC iTunes? The mobile version is fine but I can't actually seem to figure out how to use it on PC, if it's available.

I need more details than this. I'm using it, and it works fine. What's it doing? Are you logged in? When you go to search, do you get the choice between your music and apple music?

Ochowie
Nov 9, 2007

Snacksmaniac posted:

I had to enable it in the menu. It should be next to where you authorize computers for iTunes purchases.

JamesOff
Dec 12, 2002

What a frightening beast!

Thirteenth Step posted:

Would a loose connection cause the drain somehow? Maybe I hosed up putting the connectors back?

Wouldn't have thought so, I'd expect a short to zap something.

"Home and lock screen" is basically Springboard I guess, wonder if it's a notification centre widget or something.

Did you backup/restore the phone? If not, give that a go (backup in iTunes and encrypt the backup so it keeps all your passwords etc; hit Restore and let it do its thing; then restore your backup) and see how it is then.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
Is there a way to turn off low battery notifications? Or is that a jailbreak thing?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

cryptoclastic posted:

Is there a way to turn off low battery notifications? Or is that a jailbreak thing?

There is no way.

Keystoned
Jan 27, 2012

Snacksmaniac posted:

I remember reading that it only works with 32 bit windows. Dunno if thats accurate or still the case but are you on 64 bit?

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I have kind of a quick question. I work in a pretty dusty work environment and I'm afraid that I got too much dust in the Lightning port for it to make good contact with the charging cable, is there a good product out there for cleaning those hard to get to contacts?

Thanks for the help.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Canned air duster, the kind with the little WD-40-esque straw you can point into the port.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Keystoned posted:

I remember reading that it only works with 32 bit windows. Dunno if thats accurate or still the case but are you on 64 bit?
What? It works on 64-bit systems.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

TheJoker138 posted:

I need more details than this. I'm using it, and it works fine. What's it doing? Are you logged in? When you go to search, do you get the choice between your music and apple music?

I can't add anything to my library. It either wants me to buy something or listen to a radio station.
Edit: about six restarts of iTunes, it works.

Snacksmaniac fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jul 16, 2015

CancerStick
Jun 3, 2011
Re: Third Party keyboard apps

I have only tried SwiftKey, but before I purchase one I had a question. Is it just SwiftKey or how third-party keyboards are at the moment that cause these two things:

1.) Frequently the stock keyboard pops up. A lot of the time this is in iMessage.

2.) Again, a lot of the time with iMessage, where no keyboard even comes up and I have to restart the app to get it to pop up.

I would love to try Nintype but if that is a common thing with all third-party keyboards I don't know if I want to pay $5 for such a buggy experience. Would potentially wait to see if they get fixed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

They supposedly fixed 3rd party keyboards in 8.3 but imo it's not worth the hassle