Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dongsweep
Nov 28, 2004

~ P * R * I * D * E ~
Can anyone recommend a good multiplayer or MMO game that rewards winning in PVP and more importantly punishes for losing? Group of friends loved UO and the looting aspect of it, also the non-consensual PVP. It looks like FPS's are our only choice? I can think of ARMA 3 multiplayer mods, DayZ, and ARK but not a lot of interest in those sadly.

Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

dongsweep posted:

Can anyone recommend a good multiplayer or MMO game that rewards winning in PVP and more importantly punishes for losing? Group of friends loved UO and the looting aspect of it, also the non-consensual PVP. It looks like FPS's are our only choice? I can think of ARMA 3 multiplayer mods, DayZ, and ARK but not a lot of interest in those sadly.

From what I understand, Albion Online is going to be a huge love letter to Ultima Online. There used to be a thread during the winter Alpha, and the Goonsensus was that it was pretty good.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

dongsweep posted:

Any ideas?

You could play EVE Online. It's not as bad a game as it used to be, but it's still idiosyncratic and sometimes outright backward in ways you wouldn't expect in 2015.

On the plus side, non-consensual PvP can happen anywhere, any time. There are safe zones, but they are "safe" only in the sense that unkillable NPC police come and blow up your ship in retaliation after you start shooting someone. With proper builds your opponent might already be dead by the time that happens, and there are organizations that push the envelope of this kind of PvP to the point where it's not just less expensive for you than the target, but even profitable.

Similarly, the penalty for losing a ship is... you lose your ship. The hull itself turns into a wreck that can be salvaged for damaged parts, and everything else has a roughly even chance of disappearing or turning into loot for whoever grabs it (not necessarily the people who killed you, if somebody else can steal it or blow it up first.) If that ship is something they weren't expecting to ever lose, like a dedicated PvE setup, that can be a huge setback.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

dongsweep posted:

Any ideas?

EVE Online is what you're looking for but its a terrible game. That or ARK.

If you hook up with the goonswarm you can be trolling pubbies out of their hard earned ISK within hours, or go around blapping carebear miners who then send you angry personal messages about how you're ruining the game :v:

Pirates of the Burning Sea is pretty much EVE but not in space and with pirates, and you can do the same kind of crazy pvp that makes people QQ although the game's kinda dead now.

Or maybe just get into a retro MMO like Everquest 1, still running and full of sperglords.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

What's the go-to Unreal Tournament substitute these days, with plenty of players? Preferably free or cheap.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

SplitSoul posted:

What's the go-to Unreal Tournament substitute these days, with plenty of players? Preferably free or cheap.

The UT4 alpha.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

dis astranagant posted:

The UT4 alpha.

Well, poo poo. Thanks!

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

This is the weirdest request for a recommendation (remains to be seen if I can even implement it).

Recommend me a game on iPad Air (1)/Mac retina that can show off what gaming can be these days. Preferably iPad. My parents haven't really seen any videogame or played any (I think my dad shortly tried Quake 2 back in the day) like since Wii's first games - think they played some of the SNES games a bit more.

The recommendation becomes a lot harder since they aren't extremely fluent in English (passable skills in communication, probably decent in reading), and I'd like to find a game that could be thought provoking and surpass your soccer mom's expectations of games. And potentially showcase the technical finesse of these devices these days.

I don't really have any personal stake in this, I just kind of realized they have these powerful devices on hand and they have no idea what they're capable of. Are there really any entry-level video games on these devices that could break some preconceptions on the medium that aren't your average candy crush drivel?

Dessel fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jul 14, 2015

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
I have a request. For several reasons I feel like playing a game that makes me feel like the Punisher. I've tried Marvel Heroes 2015 but its just not biting (its far too easy for starters although some of the Punisher's powers aren't bad in it).

Perhaps something like Diablo 3 but with guns/sci-fi instead of fantasy. Or maybe there's a different type of game altogether I'm overlooking.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

kaesarsosei posted:

I have a request. For several reasons I feel like playing a game that makes me feel like the Punisher.

Hotline Miami & Hotline Miami 2.

Or maybe something like Hitman or Max Payne.

kaesarsosei posted:

I've tried Marvel Heroes 2015 but its just not biting (its far too easy for starters although some of the Punisher's powers aren't bad in it).

Perhaps something like Diablo 3 but with guns/sci-fi instead of fantasy. Or maybe there's a different type of game altogether I'm overlooking.

Wait, are you being serious right now? You want a game like Diablo that lets you play as the Punisher? :v: That's ridiculously specific. Literally Marvel Heroes is your only option.

If you just want other games like Diablo:
Path of Exile, Torchlight 2, Van Helsing, Titanquest, Dungeon Siege,
But obviously none of those have anything to do with the Punisher.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
Doesn't have to BE the Punisher. But some ARPG like D3 but with guns, or a sci-fi setting would be great.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

kaesarsosei posted:

Doesn't have to BE the Punisher. But some ARPG like D3 but with guns, or a sci-fi setting would be great.

Hotline Miami isn't really an RPG but based on my limited knowledge of The Punisher it's probably a much closer tonal match than Marvel Heroes.

It's also a good game with a great soundtrack and it's only ten bucks even when it's not on sale (I think I got my copy in a Humble Indie Bundle) so you can't go too far wrong.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Well I'm not sure if it's really worth recommending but I believe Hellgate: London still exists, albeit as a Chinese(?) f2p mmo.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

kaesarsosei posted:

Dungeon Fighter Online maybe? It is a Diablo-like styled as a 2.5d beat'em up with kitchen-sink setting and classes in anime dressing. Swords, spells, fists, guns, giant crucifixes.

Darcat
Sep 25, 2014

Can someone recommend some sort of survival game that takes place in a hostile environment where you have to manage things like life support and maybe some base building as well as food and all that?

I've been playing Take on Mars with a buddy and having a good time but it's incredibly unfinished. I know there are some other games out there like this but have no Idea what they're called or if they're any good

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Darcat posted:

Can someone recommend some sort of survival game that takes place in a hostile environment where you have to manage things like life support and maybe some base building as well as food and all that?

I've been playing Take on Mars with a buddy and having a good time but it's incredibly unfinished. I know there are some other games out there like this but have no Idea what they're called or if they're any good

It's not quite what you are describing but I really like The Long Dark. It's an alpha but its getting a fair few updates and its pretty fun.

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead is kind of amazing for that kind of thing.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Dessel posted:

This is the weirdest request for a recommendation (remains to be seen if I can even implement it).

Recommend me a game on iPad Air (1)/Mac retina that can show off what gaming can be these days. Preferably iPad. My parents haven't really seen any videogame or played any (I think my dad shortly tried Quake 2 back in the day) like since Wii's first games - think they played some of the SNES games a bit more.

The recommendation becomes a lot harder since they aren't extremely fluent in English (passable skills in communication, probably decent in reading), and I'd like to find a game that could be thought provoking and surpass your soccer mom's expectations of games. And potentially showcase the technical finesse of these devices these days.

I don't really have any personal stake in this, I just kind of realized they have these powerful devices on hand and they have no idea what they're capable of. Are there really any entry-level video games on these devices that could break some preconceptions on the medium that aren't your average candy crush drivel?

"The Room" could be a great fit. http://www.fireproofgames.com/games/the-room

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

kaesarsosei posted:

Van Helsing has guns but the punisher didn't exactly run around collecting loot or killing bosses or anything like that.

Closest game to Punisher is like Manhunt.

Otherwise check out all the games I already recommended to you like Hotline Miami you dingus.

There's not really many strict diablo-clones that aren't fantasy. Helldivers is kinda close.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Darcat posted:

don't starve, maybe?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Darcat posted:

ARK: Survival is the best survival game ever made. Its DayZ + Minecraft + Jurassic Park.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/346110/

Its still in early access but the devs are extremely impressive at how fast they're updating and how well they're communicating with the players.

You have to gather berries and chop trees to build shelter and weapons and feed yourself, you can fight other players or dinosaurs.

There is a dedicated poop button.

Its a little rough in some ways but its way more finished and playable than any other survival game out there I know of.

There's also a very active thread and goon presence on some servers.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Dessel posted:

Her Story, where you investigate a disappearance by giving you several parts of the police interview of one of the suspects, and then use a search engine to find related clips and find out new stuff. Very minimalistic.

This War of Mine, recently released, it's about the live of several civilians during a war. You have to scavenge for food and materials and hide rather than shoot. It doesn't require quick reflexes but the topic is pretty grim.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Besson posted:

Does anything have the same basic game mechanic loop of Age of Empires II but looks pretty and modern? Prefer a historical game if possible.

I have AoEII HD but want something more if it exists.

0 A.D is a free open source RTS wich boasts really pretty 3d graphics, and AOE style gameplay. You really should check it out, did i mention its free? Also its like 2gb or so.

Read more about it here: http://play0ad.com/

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zaphod42 posted:

ARK: Survival is the best survival game ever made. Its DayZ + Minecraft + Jurassic Park.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/346110/

Its still in early access but the devs are extremely impressive at how fast they're updating and how well they're communicating with the players.

You have to gather berries and chop trees to build shelter and weapons and feed yourself, you can fight other players or dinosaurs.

There is a dedicated poop button.

Its a little rough in some ways but its way more finished and playable than any other survival game out there I know of.

There's also a very active thread and goon presence on some servers.

While this is true, taming dinosaurs is a huge pain in the rear end, and if you're not playing on an accelereated server, and takes 8 hours to tame the very best dino in the game. You tame it by knocking it out, and putting meat / berries in it's inventory, at any point can another dino kill your dino, and the taming really needs to be worked out before you jump as is. There's too much down time.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

GyverMac posted:

0 A.D is a free open source RTS wich boasts really pretty 3d graphics, and AOE style gameplay. You really should check it out, did i mention its free? Also its like 2gb or so.

Read more about it here: http://play0ad.com/

Oh poo poo this is cool. Its like the proper Age of Empires 3D we never received. I'm downloading this poo poo as soon as I get off work.

Turtlicious posted:

While this is true, taming dinosaurs is a huge pain in the rear end, and if you're not playing on an accelereated server, and takes 8 hours to tame the very best dino in the game. You tame it by knocking it out, and putting meat / berries in it's inventory, at any point can another dino kill your dino, and the taming really needs to be worked out before you jump as is. There's too much down time.

Yeah, fair enough. I thought about adding a warning of some of the buggier aspects of the game (that'll hopefully get improved soon)

Playing pvp servers right now is fun but especially brutal because some Australian player will always show up and gently caress up your poo poo while you're sleeping.

The game definitely isn't done but there's still a ton of survival fun to be had; more so than I've had with other games in that genre.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
RTS games or similar about destroying humanity as a non-human source? There's something really cathartic about decimating all we know and hold dear and laughing amidst the rubble.

Stuff like Grey Goo and the C&C3 Scrin campaign is what i'm talking about.

Must be a PC game
Not more than say 10ish years old
Not Universe Sandbox and stuff like that, a actual game
Not painfully obvious classics like say Dungeon Keeper or whatever

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

Dongattack posted:

RTS games or similar about destroying humanity as a non-human source? There's something really cathartic about decimating all we know and hold dear and laughing amidst the rubble.

Must be a PC game

there's something called uhh, I want to say etherium? that is in the middle of a free week on steam. I haven't actually looked at it yet but it seems like a Sci Fi rts so it probably has humans you can destroy.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

willus posted:

there's something called uhh, I want to say etherium? that is in the middle of a free week on steam. I haven't actually looked at it yet but it seems like a Sci Fi rts so it probably has humans you can destroy.

10 seconds of looking at the steam page says more than 50% of users think the game is bad and it's a multiplayer title, thanks for the input tho D:

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Dongattack posted:

Must be a PC game

Dungeons 2 is pretty good for that. Something like Warcraft 3 is also not bad. Warhammer Dawn of War is also really good for this if you play Dark Crusade and prefer sci-fi since you can be all manner of non-human aliens with differing views (orks are amazing).

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Dongattack posted:

Must be a PC game

Play as the Zerg in Starcraft / SC2? :shrug:

If you're willing to go out of RTS genre there's some options but within RTS its just gonna be like, C&C and SC and other painfully obvious classics.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Zaphod42 posted:

Play as the Zerg in Starcraft / SC2? :shrug:

If you're willing to go out of RTS genre there's some options but within RTS its just gonna be like, C&C and SC and other painfully obvious classics.

What do you have outside RTS?

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Dongattack posted:

Plague Inc.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Dongattack posted:

The series Destroy All Humans is literally what you described.

Just Cause and Red Faction both involve a ton of blowing poo poo up, but not aliens. (2 and Guerrilla are great)

Blast Corps was a classic n64 game about blowing poo poo up, although not as aliens.

Rampage or War of the Monsters or the recent Godzilla game all let you play giant Kaiju and aliens and smash up cities.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Dongattack posted:

Overlord is a very fun series where you play as Sauron pretty much.

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

Thus equipped by fortune, physique, and character, he was naturally indomitable, and subordinate to no one in the world.
So after playing a bunch of XCOM and Blood Bowl recently, I've realized that I really like games that give you control of a squad of people and allow you to personalize and then slowly upgrade them. RPG mechanics, basically, but for a whole group of characters. As you might guess from the two examples, there's some flexibility as to the rest of the game mechanics and themes. Preferably something other than just a classic RPG plot and mechanics, though. Thanks in advance if anyone knows a game that fits the bill.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Viscardus posted:

So after playing a bunch of XCOM and Blood Bowl recently, I've realized that I really like games that give you control of a squad of people and allow you to personalize and then slowly upgrade them. RPG mechanics, basically, but for a whole group of characters. As you might guess from the two examples, there's some flexibility as to the rest of the game mechanics and themes. Preferably something other than just a classic RPG plot and mechanics, though. Thanks in advance if anyone knows a game that fits the bill.

Invisible Inc? Cyberpunk stylings, squad based stealth mechanics and procedurally generated levels.

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

Thus equipped by fortune, physique, and character, he was naturally indomitable, and subordinate to no one in the world.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Invisible Inc? Cyberpunk stylings, squad based stealth mechanics and procedurally generated levels.

I've already played it, actually. It's a really good game, but it doesn't quite fit the bill for me, since the customization is limited (each agent already has a predefined look and personality) and the campaign is quite short, so there's not as much of a sense of progression.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
Have you played Jagged Alliance 2? Or Massive Chalice?

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Are there any new-ish games in the style of Game Dev Tycoon that are good/decently deep?

I love management sims, played the hell out of GDT and every good Kairosoft game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Viscardus posted:

Sounds like you should give the Might & Magic series a try. I forgot which of them conventional wisdom says is best but I bet the GoG thread could help there.