Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
manero
Jan 30, 2006

If you're up early enough 20 is open to Australia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
Is it bad to leave my radio on when i crank my car? sometimes it'll display weird behavior, like, it'll go back to scan mode when I previously had it lisening to a specific memory, or vice versa. idk. regardless, it power cycles every time (i'm assuming from voltage drop) does this mean i need a new car battery?

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

PuTTY riot posted:

Is it bad to leave my radio on when i crank my car? sometimes it'll display weird behavior, like, it'll go back to scan mode when I previously had it lisening to a specific memory, or vice versa. idk. regardless, it power cycles every time (i'm assuming from voltage drop) does this mean i need a new car battery?

Hook a voltmeter up to your DC cigarette Jack while you crank your engine and watch the voltage… You're just giving it very low voltage and it's chips are losing logic

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
most cars cut the electronics when you start them, i think

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

atomicthumbs posted:

most cars cut the electronics when you start them, i think

i wouldnt say most, a lot do a lot dont ime

i guess if your car is one of hte ones that does cut it out then your radio might have a really big power cap keeping its logic alive tho and it just drains before you finish getting started? idk

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
fwiw my radio is wired directly to the battery.

I disconnected the negative battery terminal troubleshooting a broken power seat and the radio was still on. I guess my antenna is grounded well.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

PuTTY riot posted:

fwiw my radio is wired directly to the battery.

I disconnected the negative battery terminal troubleshooting a broken power seat and the radio was still on. I guess my antenna is grounded well.

well yeah in that case for sure then its just the voltage drop

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
[ask] me about the time i got handed a weirdo positive ground cb radio and couldn't figure out why it kept blowing fuses

fun facts taht radio was shipped with mods to make it work positive or negative. somebody took the time. it was like cutting traces and flipping diodes and poo poo too, not trivial

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
i had an azden that would get scrambled from (e.g.) 145.000 to 145.005 when i started the polo (no direct entry so impossible to reset from the keypad), this also wiped the channel memory and i had to do a manual reset by opening the covers and shorting some pins.

the battery's probably dropping to like 3-4V during cranking, 2-3V for the +5V internally, below what older ICs can operate with

best fix is to get a new radio or car, been driving a few recent model VWs for work lately and they all have really robust electrics with no brownouts during cranking
aux battery is also an option, i made a prototype for the polo that would run the radio off a 7Ah SLA and charge when the ignition was on

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
2m packet here is just beaconland

occasionally someone leaves a message but dang.

jonny you need to get your ptt situation situated so we can farts around, otherwise all i see 99% of the time is this:

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
i do like digi through funktown tho

makes me want to visit funktown

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
hahaha

yeah i will throw a few bucks at a hardware tnc, or a TNC-PI setup, here in the next month or so

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
oh also [ASK] me about having my first CW QSO last night after TWENTY FOUR YEARS of hamming

chatted with KG7PVT, Dave out of Washington. was very patient with me and sent me a couple links on interesting clubs that stay in the slow speed realm

this Bencher is garbage, i'm selling it and buying a Begali

http://www.i2rtf.com/html/magnetic_classic.html

magnetic springs, gold contacts, palladium base finish

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jul 14, 2015

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp
having read through most of this thread, having passed the tech test on hamstudy with no studying at all (protip: if there's an answer that's longer and stodgier-sounding than the others, it's correct 80% of the time), and now having discovered that there's a walk-in testing session a mile from here when i'm on vacation in a few weeks, i've decided to try for the tech and the general.

granted i have no loving clue what I'd do with them, i've only ever bothered with a little mild shortwave fiddling, but how hard can it be.

i am nevertheless in awe of both the technical acumen displayed by some of the regulars here, and even more in awe of jonny's ability to live in a loving mobile radio station.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

longview posted:

i had an azden that would get scrambled from (e.g.) 145.000 to 145.005 when i started the polo (no direct entry so impossible to reset from the keypad), this also wiped the channel memory and i had to do a manual reset by opening the covers and shorting some pins.

the battery's probably dropping to like 3-4V during cranking, 2-3V for the +5V internally, below what older ICs can operate with

best fix is to get a new radio or car, been driving a few recent model VWs for work lately and they all have really robust electrics with no brownouts during cranking
aux battery is also an option, i made a prototype for the polo that would run the radio off a 7Ah SLA and charge when the ignition was on

I have space for a second battery but the isolator and heavy gauge wire id need would put that squarely into the $250+ territory. meh. I'll just deal with it probably. charging a small SLA instead of a big deep cycle marine battery is an interesting idea though.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
heres a cool thing i found on a bad website (the amateurradio subreddit is actually pretty good):

http://www.boulder.swri.edu/~tcase/NH%20RF%20Telecom%20Sys%20ID1369%20FINAL_Deboy.pdf

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Iridium posted:

having read through most of this thread, having passed the tech test on hamstudy with no studying at all (protip: if there's an answer that's longer and stodgier-sounding than the others, it's correct 80% of the time), and now having discovered that there's a walk-in testing session a mile from here when i'm on vacation in a few weeks, i've decided to try for the tech and the general.

granted i have no loving clue what I'd do with them, i've only ever bothered with a little mild shortwave fiddling, but how hard can it be.

i am nevertheless in awe of both the technical acumen displayed by some of the regulars here, and even more in awe of jonny's ability to live in a loving mobile radio station.

I don't radio at all but I lurk this thread because this poo poo is really cool

also mega agreed re: the last paragraph

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

The extent of my radio knowledge comes from my middling experience as a WiFi guy and I know just enough to know that it's p :psyduck: that this stuff works at all

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.

PuTTY riot posted:

heres a cool thing i found on a bad website (the amateurradio subreddit is actually pretty good):

http://www.boulder.swri.edu/~tcase/NH%20RF%20Telecom%20Sys%20ID1369%20FINAL_Deboy.pdf

awesome, i love reading about spacecraft radio systems, it's not quite as insanely complex as the old S-band Apollo era stuff but figuring out reliable Doppler ranging with an 8 hour time of flight is pretty impressive

i'm shocked they use polyimide PCBs though, i guess it's for weight but still, that's the stuf flex PCBs are made from and it's a pain in the rear end to assemble and work with, i didn't think it had very good RF properties either

i talked to some PCB RF guru guys and asked if using flex PCBs like that for high speed serial links (flex PCB "cables" with rigid bits where the connectors mount are pretty common) was a good idea and they just laughed at me

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
we had a power outage this morning and i saw the lineman with this fiberglass pole closing the fuse or whatever. thought it might make a good temporary mast. looked it up and they're like $500 on ebay. lol. its called a hot stick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F7GtRTaipI

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

PuTTY riot posted:

I have space for a second battery but the isolator and heavy gauge wire id need would put that squarely into the $250+ territory. meh. I'll just deal with it probably. charging a small SLA instead of a big deep cycle marine battery is an interesting idea though.

i've been trying to figure out how to make a big aux battery pack out of all these 11ah lipo packs I've got, to mount under my wagon's cargo compartment above the spare tire.

as it turns out, there are no centralized documentation of or guides on or even retailers of battery management systems. all of them are either expensive poo poo for electric cars, or Chinese boards you buy on eBay that come with instructions written in SimSun.

related question: is there a Good Way to mount VHF/UHF antennas to my cargo rails/load carrier, or will it just be lovely no matter what? i refuse to take a drill to my car's bodywork.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

atomicthumbs posted:

i've been trying to figure out how to make a big aux battery pack out of all these 11ah lipo packs I've got, to mount under my wagon's cargo compartment above the spare tire.

as it turns out, there are no centralized documentation of or guides on or even retailers of battery management systems. all of them are either expensive poo poo for electric cars, or Chinese boards you buy on eBay that come with instructions written in SimSun.

yep that poo poo's siloed. people wont get into the solar/battery/power biz unless they can lord the info over people from behind the curtain at a billion dollars an hour. CAPITALISM

quote:

related question: is there a Good Way to mount VHF/UHF antennas to my cargo rails/load carrier, or will it just be lovely no matter what? i refuse to take a drill to my car's bodywork.

there are several solutions but i dislike your fascism on drills so i dunno

ponder this

you don't have to blast a 3/4" hole for an NMO through visible metal, you just nip a couple screw holes in any body seam. If you're crafty you can just use one big existing body bolt if you got one in there.

other than that you need to bond to the car body via a very short and low inductance thing. so you're still looking at drilling a hole or using existing

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Jonny 290 posted:

yep that poo poo's siloed. people wont get into the solar/battery/power biz unless they can lord the info over people from behind the curtain at a billion dollars an hour. CAPITALISM

there are several solutions but i dislike your fascism on drills so i dunno

ponder this

you don't have to blast a 3/4" hole for an NMO through visible metal, you just nip a couple screw holes in any body seam. If you're crafty you can just use one big existing body bolt if you got one in there.

other than that you need to bond to the car body via a very short and low inductance thing. so you're still looking at drilling a hole or using existing

mine doesn't even need a drill. it's vehicle specific.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
i had a lot of fun setting this up and im kinda rly proud of how it turned out so here u go...

this could all go back to stock easily. assuming i could find the screws to mount the tape deck back on the bracket... it never will tho cause im driving this mofo until the wheels fall off, or gas hits $4/gal

i guess i did drill those pop out things but im sure replacements would be easy to find in a junkyard. that onstar is analog btw, lmao.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
thats dope dude, for real. so much better than most ham hackjobs

--

i am super honored and glad that ppl enjoy this thread and are inspired by it. it is basically the only reason I stay on SA now and it is that important to me

we have hamchat on slack now but i will never abandon this and still love hearing about everybodys achievements and projects. many dudes have come a v long way itt

--

i am now in full-on CW mode and am shooting for one qso an evening. it is really challenging and fun and actually intense. you have to focus. this bencher is so loving bad already ughhhhhh. it is sloppy and just trash

manero
Jan 30, 2006

are all Benchers terrible or just the one you got? I want to finish learning CW (started when I got licensed back in 7th grade, but never finished). Benchers seem like the paddle that everybody has.. tempted to pick one up.

manero fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jul 16, 2015

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
the only problem with my setup is the speaker is all boxed up in there. thinking about putting this in. i guess i can just put a 3.5mm headphone jack on there?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Jonny 290 posted:

thats dope dude, for real. so much better than most ham hackjobs

--

i am super honored and glad that ppl enjoy this thread and are inspired by it. it is basically the only reason I stay on SA now and it is that important to me

we have hamchat on slack now but i will never abandon this and still love hearing about everybodys achievements and projects. many dudes have come a v long way itt

--

i am now in full-on CW mode and am shooting for one qso an evening. it is really challenging and fun and actually intense. you have to focus. this bencher is so loving bad already ughhhhhh. it is sloppy and just trash

:3:

CW is Morse code stuff? And qso is a contact with someone?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

That stuff always seems so incomprehensible, but I guess you'd get an ear for it?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I now own a Real Radio instead of just a Baofeng. :neckbeard:

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

spankmeister posted:

whatd you get?

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

spankmeister posted:

so... impressions? after i badgered you to death with a metal pipe over and over till you got it... lol

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

It's good.

The build quality is excellent. Had you done the badgering with this radio instead of the pipe it would have had the same effect, it's that solid.
Audio quality is good, much better than the baofeng. It's easier to program too, but that's not really hard to do since the baofeng is SO bad.

One feature I miss is being able to monitor two frequencies like with the baofeng. I use that for monitoring my local 2m and 70cm simultaneously.
But hey, now I have two radio's so I can monitor THREE frequencies. :haw:

My main gripe with the thing is the volume knob, which is too small and too close to the antenna for my hamfists.

I also did the mod to get the extended TX so I can use it outside 144-146 and 430-440. This'll come in handy when I bring it to Vegas in a week or 2.
Barely had it for an hour before I took a soldering iron to it, lol

But yeah, very happy so far, thanks for the rec.

spankmeister fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jul 16, 2015

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

spankmeister posted:

I also did the mod to get the extended TX so I can use it outside 144-146 and 420-440. This'll come in handy when I bring it to Vegas in a week or 2.

wat

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Captain Foo posted:

That stuff always seems so incomprehensible, but I guess you'd get an ear for it?

you get an ear and brain for it. pretty much just immersion therapy. put the headphones on, listen. try to copy as much as you can.

before you know it you'll be picking out the sounds of words like "that" and "radio" and "antenna" and if you can predict those, it gives you a good second or two to write the word out and then wait for next.

for now my routine is:

go home, get on 20 meters, try to listen in for QRS (slow speed) guys. as the evening wears on, pop down to 40 meters where the old school straight key guys hang out around 7120 khz. They aren't picky with who they talk to and are pretty much just "try it out!" CW evangelists. Nail a QSO, talk to a dude. Then spend a little while just listening to guys chatting at a speed higher than I can copy. to end it out i have a big speed practice where I just get on the code practice oscillator, turn the speed up to about 25 words per minute, load up a couple of tickets in the Jira from work and use the ticket notes as my practice text.

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jul 16, 2015

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
i can't even tell a dit from a dah :smith:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

PuTTY riot posted:

i can't even tell a dit from a dah :smith:

nobody on the planet can tell if they have just one or the other! gotta have the counterpart for a length reference. a dit at 10 wpm is a dah at 30 :P

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I got the FT-60E which is the EU version of the FT-60, it's software limited to narrower bands. You can remove a resistor to get around this restriction:

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

spankmeister posted:

I got the FT-60E which is the EU version of the FT-60, it's software limited to narrower bands. You can remove a resistor to get around this restriction:

oh. nice. ok i thought you were doing some mars mod poo poo and i was gonna be mad at you. carry on :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

PuTTY riot posted:

oh. nice. ok i thought you were doing some mars mod poo poo and i was gonna be mad at you. carry on :)

That's basically what it is but I want to use it on 146 in the US and I couldn't before.

Now it can in fact do MARS and CAP but I'm not gonna.

• Locked thread