Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Confirmed Adrian Shepard for HL3 when humanity invades combine's homeworld. Three playable characters and coop campaign :shepface:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Gabe Newell and Randy Pitchford have never been on good terms, which is a (significant) part of the reason why Shepherd was retconned from the Half-Life universe, despite Newell saying, "Shepherd's probably a better character than [Freeman] ever was--or will be." Regarding the possibility of a Shepherd-like character eventually being brought into the Half-Life games, Newell suggested that "it's always a possibility, although we'd probably have to crunch [Shepherd's] name into an anagram of some sort. 'A. Nadir Herdshep.' 'Hared Radish-Pan.' You know, that sort of thing--make it into a genuine Valve property."

Could we eventually see the return Opposing Force's beloved Hared Radish-Pan? Anything's possible.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Geight posted:

For a long time it was that weird sort of canon where it only counts unless something official overrides it, but I believe Marc Laidlaw(?) or whoever was one of the writers for HL2 mentioned in an interview that none of the opfor/blue shift/race x stuff matters and won't count for anything.
Marc Laidlaw's official position as of 2009 was "We don’t get involved in issues of canonicity. You might say that canon itself is non-canon. So, no official stance, there’s just the games."

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

Opposing Force's level design is a bit all over the place and isn't near the quality of the original. It's a long string of neat sequences bolted together to form a rough campaign, but it loses all semblence of plot once the evac choppers take off and leave you behind. The level design is more linear and less connected than Half-lifes, and all of the levels feel really small (with the exception of revisited parts of the first game) Also the lambda labs bit was great when I was a kid but replaying it I realized how dumb it was that you basically got into the deepest most top secret part of the base through a loving air vent a few minutes away from the surface.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
On that note, for me, the specimen biomes in Opposing Force were one of the most memorable parts of the original game and its two add-ons, and the part where you're creeping around in the pitch black sewers that have been infested with a nest of Vortigore was one of the most unnerving parts.

Also, the experimental "weapon" that could teleport you between Earth and Xen was really cool.

EDIT: Remembering how badass it felt to upgrade from HL's "Barneys" and scientist helpers to OF's actual soldiers, engineers, and medics. I remember trying really hard to keep 2 or 3 of them alive when possible because, even in 1999, it was still unusual for games to give you a handful of NPC help in singleplayer games.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Jul 16, 2015

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Jblade posted:

Opposing Force's level design is a bit all over the place and isn't near the quality of the original. It's a long string of neat sequences bolted together to form a rough campaign, but it loses all semblence of plot once the evac choppers take off and leave you behind. The level design is more linear and less connected than Half-lifes, and all of the levels feel really small (with the exception of revisited parts of the first game) Also the lambda labs bit was great when I was a kid but replaying it I realized how dumb it was that you basically got into the deepest most top secret part of the base through a loving air vent a few minutes away from the surface.

OF as a whole feels less coherent than HL1 does, but it does some things quite well. The last bits felt like you really were reaching the end of the Black Mesa story as a whole, with the sun setting and you running through ruined buildings at the edge of Black Mesa while fighting off a few scattered Black Ops/Xen/Race X holdouts. The Voltigore sewer and the biome labs are really good too.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Nintendo Kid posted:

Yeah what I'm after is some sort of command or package I can load into the game that just makes it so that, say, you still start with 100 health, but health pickups will heal you like normal up to like 10,000, you can have up to 100,000 rockets or bullets but you still pick them up int he normal sizes and the like.

From messing around with doing this in Doom, which is quite easy, it's amazing how quickly the medikits you normally would only get a few percent health from or the shotgun shell box you got at 2 shells below the limit can really add up across a large map or a megawad. You can end up with so much spare shell or bullet ammo by a MAP30 that you might need to just lay on the fire button for 20 minutes straight to use it up!

One of my favorite little QoL mods is the Smart Scavenger. Whenever you run over a health or ammo pickup and picking it up would result in wasting some of it, instead it splits up into smaller parts. For example, if you have 90 health and you run over a +25 medkit, it will split out into two +10 medkits and a +5 stimpack. Then you can pick up one of the +10s and leave that 15 health on the floor for later if you need it. Boxes of shells split up into 5 of the 4-shell pickups etc. It hasn't been updated for Brutal v20 yet and I'm missing the hell out of it.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Hey, so just a heads-up, if you happen to be rocking two monitors, and the left one (whether it's your main display or not) is listed as monitor #1, and you have it set up as Portrait, GZDoom will refuse to acknowledge the other monitor, and will consistently gently caress up the resolutions for you, so the game is constantly taller rather that wider.

What I think fixed this for me was opening up the ini file (something like zdoom-<your username>.ini), and changing the value of "vid_renderer" to "2" rather than "1". If you had 3 monitors, and wanted the game to only pay attention to monitor 3, then you'd switch that out for "3".

Just something I thought would help. I have my left monitor set to portrait for work, and I have been trying to play Doom at work. Otherwise, I wouldn't be bothering.

Aren't you confusing vid_renderer with vid_adapter?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Cat Mattress posted:

Aren't you confusing vid_renderer with vid_adapter?

I changed renderer, and it worked :shobon:

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I feel that both HL games represent, to differing extents, the best way to do a story-driven FPS. Whether you actually like story-driven FPSes is personal preference. But I feel that Valve gave a masterclass (or five) on how to balance story with interactivity. There are so many things the HL and Portal games do well that every developer continually tries and fails to imitate, even beyond the scope of just first-person games. I don't think many other games have struck that same balance, even though there are plenty with better shooting action.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Gabe Newell and Randy Pitchford have never been on good terms...
Not too surprising, given Pitchford's kind of a piece of poo poo who releases a broken game unto the world, misrepresents what said broken game actually looks like, then has the nerve to call people entitled shits when they call him out on this and attempt a class-action lawsuit.

It's disappointing that this is the man that now owns Duke Nukem. (Ignoring that he worked on Atomic Edition, I guess.)

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
Honestly my biggest complaint about Half Life is that I feel the series is over rated. Half Life had a generic story but good cutscene free story telling, but the graphics and fighting were just mediocre. I have had more enjoyment from other games like Deus Ex, System Shock, Quake 2 or Unreal. I like Half Life, but I hate people saying that other games are "failing" to copy Half Life.

I think Duke Nukem Forever is actually a pretty decent game. It has it's flaws just like any other game has flaws. The biggest issue in my opinion is the two weapon limit (patched to 4), but I feel that is more a matter of lovely developers optimizing for the console version. Besides that, I like the attempt at comedy in DNF

LGR is my current favorite you tube channel, the reviewer does have a bias for being a fan of Duke, but I feel he does a great job with the review by highlighting the good and bad in DNF unlike every other game reviewer who is paid to write good reviews of crap like Simcity.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_EESRrn-Ck

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
DNF is a bad video game.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Shadow Hog posted:

Not too surprising, given Pitchford's kind of a piece of poo poo who releases a broken game unto the world, misrepresents what said broken game actually looks like, then has the nerve to call people entitled shits when they call him out on this and attempt a class-action lawsuit.

It's disappointing that this is the man that now owns Duke Nukem. (Ignoring that he worked on Atomic Edition, I guess.)

Randy Pitchford once compared constructive criticism of Borderlands 2 to domestic abuse. He's indicative of just about everything wrong with this industry.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Gabe Newell and Randy Pitchford have never been on good terms, which is a (significant) part of the reason why Shepherd was retconned from the Half-Life universe, despite Newell saying, "Shepherd's probably a better character than [Freeman] ever was--or will be." Regarding the possibility of a Shepherd-like character eventually being brought into the Half-Life games, Newell suggested that "it's always a possibility, although we'd probably have to crunch [Shepherd's] name into an anagram of some sort. 'A. Nadir Herdshep.' 'Hared Radish-Pan.' You know, that sort of thing--make it into a genuine Valve property."

Could we eventually see the return Opposing Force's beloved Hared Radish-Pan? Anything's possible.

Hared Radish-Pan isn't too far off from Kwisatz Haderach :cheeky:

Also now I want a half-life game starring Commander Shepard and Wrex. :allears: (I know, I know, not that Shepard.)

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Arguing over canonicity is one of the dumbest parts of any fandom. Protip: none of it actually happened

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
"Player was slimed by a stalker"

"Player was drowned by a stalker"

"Player was mauled by a stalker"

:argh:

Curse you Eric C. Biessman and Michael Raymond-judy for your infuriating level design in Hexen death kings!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Watch Warren Spector replay Deus Ex on camera: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTVBSxnwiCo

Also if you missed it, awhile back they had Romero playing Doom: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygp4-kmjpzI

Nokiaman
Mar 2, 2013

I agree. I really enjoyed it for what it was.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Klaus88 posted:

"Player was slimed by a stalker"

"Player was drowned by a stalker"

"Player was mauled by a stalker"

:argh:

Curse you Eric C. Biessman and Michael Raymond-judy for your infuriating level design in Hexen death kings!
Get out of here, stalker

(I have never played a S.T.A.L.K.E.R.)

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Shadow Hog posted:

(I have never played a S.T.A.L.K.E.R.)

Remedy this immediately

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
STALKER is a very weird game that I never quite got the hang of, and probably never will, but it's nice that it's there, y'know?

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Take your pervert war elsewhere.
STALKER's goddamned great, except for the whole difficulty system. On Master I was told that all guns, both the enemy's and mine, were made stronger, when really I just found that dumping 6 handfuls of buckshot pellets into an enemy just makes them burp in garbled Russian before they instagib you with a a pissant pistol.

Doctor Shitfaced
Feb 13, 2012
The first four times I tried playing STALKER I hated it. It felt clunky, unintuitive, and messy...although I never made it past the overworld area you start in. On my last attempt I forced myself to keep pushing forward, and suddenly ten hours later I was running from a pack of bloodsuckers with a lovely artifact I found desperately trying to not get murdered. Had to end this playthrough due to a hard drive failure, sadly.

STALKER is a really, really good franchise. I strongly recommend reading a guide or wiki to figure out some of the nuances though.

Fake edit: Master difficulty works as intended, the starting shotgun is just hot garbage. The gunplay picks up significantly once you get your hands on an MP5 + realize all pistols (except Big Ben) are terrible and thus not worth wasting inventory space on.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
The thing about DNF is people really wanted it to be a good game. I always get the impression that its defenders are willing to overlook its legion problems because, after all that time, it would have been such a great story that the game that everyone was sneering at for more than a decade would come out, shut up its detractors and deliver the post-COD world a sly helping of old-school fun and humor. It something you really want to see succeed, just because of the story behind it.

Of all people, Yahtzee had one of the more interesting reviews at the time that goes through a lot of this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hi2xsKHKRUM

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Geight posted:

DNF is a bad video game.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I had some fun with DNF's deathmatch, but the community for that understandably didn't last very long. Maybe with mod tools everyone would poke at it, realize it was a horribly modified Unreal Engine 1 and run away screaming it could have gotten some extra legs as people warped and folded it in their own bizarre ways.

I just wish Interceptor and Gearbox could kiss and make up just enough that Interceptor would be allowed to release the DNF 2001/2002 builds. Apparently they haven't succumbed to bitrot and are kind of Half-Life-y... alas.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett
Doom inside Doom:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbnfYBFKD1g

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

poo poo, Doom really does run on everything. Even itself :haw:

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I have to say nothing is like the first time you rode the train/monorail/whatever into black mesa in 1998. Maybe stepping off the Riker in Unreal.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

The gently caress you say

Now I want somebody to mod Doom 3 so that GZDoom can appear on the turkey puncher machine, with vanilla doom appearing on an arcade machine inside that.

Doomception. Dun Dun.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Kazvall posted:

I have to say nothing is like the first time you rode the train/monorail/whatever into black mesa in 1998. Maybe stepping off the Riker in Unreal.

That rail gave me the greatest sense of dread riding it the first time, spent the entire ride expecting HORRIBLE THINGS to happen at any time. :ohdear:

And then nothing did. :tinfoil: I calmed down by the time you were due to slam the whatzit into the thingymabob and cause the cascade. Ah, memories. :allears:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Thyrork posted:

That rail gave me the greatest sense of dread riding it the first time, spent the entire ride expecting HORRIBLE THINGS to happen at any time. :ohdear:

And then nothing did. :tinfoil: I calmed down by the time you were due to slam the whatzit into the thingymabob and cause the cascade. Ah, memories. :allears:

The part where the... Ichthyosaur (had to look that up) comes right at you was classic.

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

gently caress that big-rear end fish and especially gently caress that dam part where you had to catapult right into the waters of that thing to get past.

They had the best glitch of any FPS enemy though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_NLGwN6sKg

manero
Jan 30, 2006

What's a reasonably modern Quake 1 engine for OSX? Darkplaces doesn't seem to run on Yosemite :(

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
IIRC, there are versions of Quakespasm compiled for OSX. The Quakespasm site's currently down, so I can't verify, but a look at the source on Github shows it has OSX support, so I know it's possible.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

Douk Douk posted:

gently caress that big-rear end fish and especially gently caress that dam part where you had to catapult right into the waters of that thing to get past.

I don't think there's a scarier enemy in an FPS, honestly.

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Geight posted:

I don't think there's a scarier enemy in an FPS, honestly.

HL:Source was even loving scarier because at least in HL1 you could see through the water pretty easily. In Source though, the water was all murky and brown and foggy as hell, so you could only see a glimpse of a shiny tooth or big glowing eye before that loving thing started hurtling at you and roaring. Eugh I HATE underwater enemies.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Douk Douk posted:

They had the best glitch of any FPS enemy though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_NLGwN6sKg
The random-pitched noises the Ichthyosaur is making make it sound like Gordon turned it into a Banjo-Kazooie character

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Douk Douk posted:

HL:Source was even loving scarier because at least in HL1 you could see through the water pretty easily. In Source though, the water was all murky and brown and foggy as hell, so you could only see a glimpse of a shiny tooth or big glowing eye before that loving thing started hurtling at you and roaring. Eugh I HATE underwater enemies.

This reminds me of the completely terrifying slaughterfish in Daggerfall. Jeeeeezus christ, take their look and sounds, and mix that together with an engine that really can't do water, and you've got a swimming nightmare.