Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Davin Valkri posted:

I've got to agree here. Sorry Plutonis is being...Plutonis in your chat thread, Queen Fiona.

As for what makes a monster in a D&D setting...aren't there a ton of spells that allow one to talk to plants and animals and extradimensional beasties and stuff? And since all these griffins and the like have to cast spells, don't they get high INT scores to do so? So sapience or INT score or ability to communicate in a language don't seem like they get the desired effect.

I'm gonna make fun of all of those who deny the simple truth that nature is a zero-sum game where every species is out there to slaughter each other unless they enter an alliance of convenience that still has one clear superior being, like humans and pets/cattle. If orcs and elves existed, we would either wipe them all out in a catastrophic genocide war or leave some of them alive to be artificially selected and bred into thralls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

frest posted:

That's actually what I was afraid of. They all seem to go out of business around here, some faster than others, but none of them seem to do well or anything.
That's because nerds are embarrassingly bad when it comes to budgeting/finances/economics unless it involves imaginary money to buy something in-game for their character. Then they go through some arcane metamorphosis and channel the collective knowledge of the investment banking industry as a whole to get the absolute highest ROI possible.

Dec 26, 2012

Glagha posted:

Just make your players fight demons. They're literally born evil it's fine.

Well I mean orcs used to be hateful, twisted corruptions of the elves made by not-Satan, but then somewhere along the line someone made them an actual distinct race without appreciably changing how they're framed with regards to being a problem that needs fixing, so here we are.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Yawgmoth posted:

That's because nerds are embarrassingly bad when it comes to budgeting/finances/economics unless it involves imaginary money to buy something in-game for their character. Then they go through some arcane metamorphosis and channel the collective knowledge of the investment banking industry as a whole to get the absolute highest ROI possible.

This is as opposed to everyone else, who is definitely very good at finances and economics

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Countblanc posted:

This is as opposed to everyone else, who is definitely very good at finances and economics
Most people don't think "I could run a [hobby] store because I like [hobby] a lot!" but for some reason about half the roleplayers I know think they could run a book/comic/card shop all the way to untold riches.

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

bred into thralls.

Please keep your rape fantasies in the Exalted thread. TIA.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Yawgmoth posted:

Most people don't think "I could run a [hobby] store because I like [hobby] a lot!" but for some reason about half the roleplayers I know think they could run a book/comic/card shop all the way to untold riches.

It's the same mindset that causes poor and lower middle class people to vote Republican in the US.

It might not be a game store but the fantasy that you could do something with minimal effort and realize your untapped potential as a successful person is part of one version of the "American Dream".

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

BrainParasite posted:

Please keep your rape fantasies in the Exalted thread. TIA.

Cripes. I meant in how people breed dogs and horses to become more docile and useful.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Yawgmoth posted:

Eh, I see that all the time with people who have hobbies completely unrelated to gaming. People just have unrealistic expectations sometimes.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
So, I've had an idea.

Based off of LowellDND's CYOA thread, I thought I might give one a try in the Eclipse Phase universe. It's the sort of game you really need a spreadsheet for your character on, but with a single thing for the whole lot to control it should be more manageable.

Thought I'd run the idea past some others first though, and get some feedback, so here's a like to a test of the OP:
http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=23859

This may or may not be an excuse to use a Deep Dream image as a basilisk hack

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

"You're talking to cats."
"And you eat ghosts, so shut the fuck up."

inklesspen posted:

Perhaps we can stop discussing whether DCI should consider "convicted felon" to be a protected category against which it is verboten to discriminate

And resume discussion of elfgames.

Specifically, I'd like to talk about how game and setting designers can construct things to make it more likely the PCs will need to broker a difficult peace between King Ulfbright and the orc tribes instead of taking a commission from King Ulfbright to slay the orc tribes. A good first start is to strip "Always Chaotic Evil" and such language, but I think there's more to be done than that; most elfgame RPGs have more pagecount devoted to waging war than waging peace.

Well, the best way is to pick a system that supports diplomacy, and to then sit down with your players beforehand and talk about how you'd like a game where that's an option that gets used, that way they can take it into account when they build their characters and you can see how everyone feels about it.

That aside, though, on a campaign level, if you want to lead the players to the conclusion that "no, these orcs are just people, they are probably in conflict with the King for a reason, you can reason with them", what you could do is have the players interact peacefully with an orc NPC early on. Maybe even members of the tribe in question -- have them do the players a small favour, even, or just otherwise demonstrate that they're normal people and not cartoonish savages that kill anything they come across. Fantasy RPGs use orcs as a shorthand for 'you can kill those guys' way too much for you to be able to rely on your players to make the leap without specifically giving them an indication of it.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
There's at least one comic/hobby store here locally that's basically run at random hours, is cramped and creepy and dusty but has been in business for years and doesn't seem likely to close because the owner inherited oil money back when that meant something so he's literally running the place as a hobby.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Lightning Lord posted:

They're generally just lovely stores run by people with no business sense who figure it's super easy to monetize their hobbies.
Pretty much. To run a successful game store you need two things: 1) a love of gaming and 2) a head for business. The problem is those two skills are completely unrelated. People with business sense but no love of games open up a different, more lucrative business. People who love games but have no business sense end up running those understocked nerd-caves with weird hours that go out of business in a year. There are very few people with both skills compared to people who have just one, so there are lots of failing nerdcaves for every well-run store.

The other problem is that running a business is hard work that requires constant cold-eyed dispassionate decision-making (especially for a low-margin business like specialty retail), and that runs counter to the sort of passion that you need to decide to open up a game store in the first place. The first rule of opening a game store is that you have to carry and promote games that sell, not games that you like. I like weird, complicated hex-and-counter wargames and don't like TCGs or Pathfinder, but if I opened a store I'd carry lots of the latter and very little of the former. I'm a big GURPS fan but I can't imagine the retail turnover for GURPS books comes close to justifying stocking the whole line, so I'd maybe carry one set of the core books and that's it. You have to put your own preferences off to the side and carry what the local market wants. You may think Yu-Gi-Oh is the dumbest poo poo imaginable, but if your area has a lot of kids who are into YGO well you better carry it and host regular organized play events.

You'll occasionally see a terrible store that's terrible on purpose - the guy running it is doing the bare minimum to qualify as a retailer so he and his friends/club can buy Warhammer models at wholesale prices. Those are always fun.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
My favorite game store thing is when they have dusty copies of 10-15 year old products still sitting on shelves somewhere still going for full MSRP. Sure thing dude, that copy of Everway hasn't sold yet but keep holding out hope.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Kai Tave posted:

My favorite game store thing is when they have dusty copies of 10-15 year old products still sitting on shelves somewhere still going for full MSRP. Sure thing dude, that copy of Everway hasn't sold yet but keep holding out hope.
Even better are dusty old supplements for a game but no core book. You know, because eventually someone is going to come through that door, see Chronicles of the Awakening on your shelf for full MSRP, and say "Finally! My Nephilim supplement collection will be complete!"

Turning dead stock liquid operating cash, even if you take a nominal loss, is Retailing 101. Hell, it's Business 101. But the Sunk Cost Fallacy is strong in some people.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
I know a guy who's doing pretty well with game stores at the moment. This is his model:

He rents small stripmall shop space in the suburbs close to middle/high schools. Enough space for a few tables, a display counter and a just a few shelves for product.
He stocks magic and a small selection of comic books.
He hires college business majors who are gamers to run the stores, they work cheap and are eager to learn and get experience.
He runs regular Magic events
He has comic boxes for customers who subscribe to specific books.

He says he makes a ton of recurring revenue on the comic boxes and only devotes a minimal amount of space to new books, and Magic just continues to make money. Last I heard he was up to 3 stores each of which is mostly self sufficient and he only has to spend one day a week at each one.

Of course this isn't the dream store that most gamers want to run, but it's a viable business model and shows that it is possible to make money running game stores.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Bucnasti posted:

I know a guy who's doing pretty well with game stores at the moment. This is his model:

He rents small stripmall shop space in the suburbs close to middle/high schools. Enough space for a few tables, a display counter and a just a few shelves for product.
He stocks magic and a small selection of comic books.
He hires college business majors who are gamers to run the stores, they work cheap and are eager to learn and get experience.
He runs regular Magic events
He has comic boxes for customers who subscribe to specific books.

He says he makes a ton of recurring revenue on the comic boxes and only devotes a minimal amount of space to new books, and Magic just continues to make money. Last I heard he was up to 3 stores each of which is mostly self sufficient and he only has to spend one day a week at each one.

Of course this isn't the dream store that most gamers want to run, but it's a viable business model and shows that it is possible to make money running game stores.
Exactly. Carry what sells and turns over quickly, get near your customers (teenagers), keep your overhead down (small space, minimal stock). I notice his expansion plan was not "bigger store, more products" but rather "open a second location that clones this successful business model".

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Play space seems to be an important ingredient for a successful game store, especially with the takeoff of Friday Night Magic.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Kai Tave posted:

There used to be a big hobby shop in Seattle that had been a distributor in the 80's-90's of RPG stuff, and they had a huge stock of old products all marked MSRP. My friend would go through their stack and pick out books that had become collectors items and resell them on ebay for several times what he bought them for.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Is there a bell-curved alternative to the d100, similar to 2d10 or 3d6 as a bell-curved alternative to the d20?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

Is there a bell-curved alternative to the d100, similar to 2d10 or 3d6 as a bell-curved alternative to the d20?
Any multiple same dice where the total comes up to 100 will do that. 10d10, 5d20, 4d25 or 2d50 if you use an app, 25d4 or 50 coin flips if you hate life in general...

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Jul 17, 2015

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

5d20 is going to be your best approximation. 10d10 is too tall and shifts the mean too much. 25d4 is just ridiculous.

http://anydice.com/program/637a Hit "Graph" for a visual comparison.

5d20 also has the advantage of being easy to roll. Everyone has d20!

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
My FLGS is this one http://www.chimeraccg.co.uk/ and has been going through a boom in business the past couple of years because the guy who runs it is a) a drat good businessman and b) puts in insane 100 hour weeks. Weirdly he's also a super passionate gamer and GMs D&D at his store on Tuesday nights for customers, and is just a guy in a variety of nerd T-shirts. The store is loving awesome though: well lit, lots of table space, good variety of stock, great prices. If anyone lives anywhere near Nottingham, go shop here.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Isn't there a goon who's in the gaming store business? I remember someone posting about their shop a year or two ago.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I know at least two who have commented recently in the GW Deathpool thread, but i can't remember their names offhand.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Kai Tave posted:

There's a good not-local game store I go to that still has about half a bookshelf full of old 3.X products at full price.

Their inability just make a dollar bin for books that are just taking up space is pretty much the only point against them, though.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I recently sold my old 3.5 PHB for more than half of the cover price. Usually used books have one hell of a price drop. To a reseller no less, so I probably could have gotten a lot more, maybe even made a profit but :effort:. Truth be told, I wanted it out of the house.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jul 17, 2015

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

My Lovely Horse posted:

I recently sold my old 3.5 PHB for more than half of the cover price. Usually used books have one hell of a price drop. To a reseller no less, so I probably could have gotten a lot more, maybe even made a profit but :effort:. Truth be told, I wanted it out of the house.

Is this a local reseller or a more widely available one?

I've got a whole lot of 3/3.5e books I wouldn't mind getting shot of.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

http://www.animemaru.com/anime-character-ruins-elaborate-dnd-campaign/

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Mojo Jojo posted:

Is this a local reseller or a more widely available one?

I've got a whole lot of 3/3.5e books I wouldn't mind getting shot of.
Amazon :v:

It was Amazon Germany though and I think the German edition nets you a little more.

Soggy Chips
Sep 26, 2006

Fear is the mind killer
I'm looking for some 28 minis to act as warboys from Mad Max Fury road for a post apoc game game my local group is getting into.
Any suggestions of where to hit up?

It's pretty much Necromunda re-skinned for the fallout universe. So need about 6~ normal dudes, two heavies and another model to convert into Joe

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

Zurui posted:

5d20 is going to be your best approximation. 10d10 is too tall and shifts the mean too much. 25d4 is just ridiculous.

http://anydice.com/program/637a Hit "Graph" for a visual comparison.

5d20 also has the advantage of being easy to roll. Everyone has d20!

11d10-10 replicates the minimum, maximum, and expected value (i.e. the "average" roll) of 1d100 in a reasonably convenient format provided you have enough d10s and the inclination for simple subtraction.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
I want a giant robot and/or giant monster game. I started wracking my head thinking of what the options were- In one case I was looking for an RPG, that maybe had like alien cults or something and giant creatures and realized with horror I was thinking of Cthulhutech. Soooo, nope.

And wondering what other board or miniature game options there were outside of stuff like YahtzeeKing of Tokyo or the dead and buried Monsterpocalypse. Having a really hard time thinking of options- anybody have an idea of some stuff to look into? Board/Card/Miniature/RPG/whatever form of Trad Game

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Gravy Train Robber posted:

I want a giant robot and/or giant monster game. I started wracking my head thinking of what the options were- In one case I was looking for an RPG, that maybe had like alien cults or something and giant creatures and realized with horror I was thinking of Cthulhutech. Soooo, nope.

And wondering what other board or miniature game options there were outside of stuff like YahtzeeKing of Tokyo or the dead and buried Monsterpocalypse. Having a really hard time thinking of options- anybody have an idea of some stuff to look into? Board/Card/Miniature/RPG/whatever form of Trad Game
It looks like it was removed from DriveThru, but Last Stand is pretty fun for a tactical RPG thing. It's pretty light on the RP, but the fights are entertaining. And you get to tear off pieces of monsters and attach them to your bug suit. We played it a few times when someone couldn't make it to our regular RPG night for a while, mostly just as a tactical board game. It was affectionately referred to as "the bug game".

I'm not sure where you'd find a copy nowadays though. Maybe one of the former Funhaver peeps will chime in.

There's also Mobile Frame Zero, the Lego mobile suit minis game. I've not gotten to play the new version yet, but Mechaton was pretty neat. You build a team of fighty robots with different attributes all represented on the figures with actual pieces and fight a skirmish battle. Maybe that's a little outside of the genre you're going for though.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

ImpactVector posted:

It looks like it was removed from DriveThru, but Last Stand is pretty fun for a tactical RPG thing. It's pretty light on the RP, but the fights are entertaining. And you get to tear off pieces of monsters and attach them to your bug suit. We played it a few times when someone couldn't make it to our regular RPG night for a while, mostly just as a tactical board game. It was affectionately referred to as "the bug game".

I'm not sure where you'd find a copy nowadays though. Maybe one of the former Funhaver peeps will chime in.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0BzBGv7T2YMphTDlOTzdjSTVmN0k&usp=sharing

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost
Cool. I figured it'd be free out there somewhere, but wasn't sure.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

It's a shame that Monsterpocalypse had such an ignominous end, it was a nice concept. If I remember correctly, what killed it was that it the most effective tactic was turtling up and never using all the cool attacks that they invented for it?

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

paradoxGentleman posted:

It's a shame that Monsterpocalypse had such an ignominous end, it was a nice concept. If I remember correctly, what killed it was that it the most effective tactic was turtling up and never using all the cool attacks that they invented for it?
Having 6 factions in a collectable minis game was also pretty dumb. Plus if I remember correctly you wanted to have a pretty specific building loadout to be competitive. And they had a bunch of promo figures that you could only get at conventions.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.

Yawgmoth posted:

You don't knit, do you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Is anyone else disappointed that the film Titanic wasn't titled "Watership Down?"

• Locked thread