Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which religion is the best?
This poll is closed.
Shintoism 59 9.58%
Buddhism 77 12.50%
Taoism 66 10.71%
FEAR CLOWNPIECE 414 67.21%
Total: 616 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Reimu is all about the status-quo. And Seija's revolution was a youkai revolution, life would be even worse for human's under it.

Also she identifies threats to existence in general not to the existing order, because if humans were to become unafraid of youkai the youkai would cease to exist, which goes against the entire purpose of gensokyo. Reimu's job is to maintain Hakurei Barrier, and basically protect Gensokyo's existence. This means maintaining the delicate balance of human's being afraid of youkai, and there still being humans around to be afraid of youkai in order to maintain their existence.

Gensokyo has a weird existence, it is honestly a really cool setting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Alice probably ain't a gensokyo native and may not even have originally been human exactly,

Just to mention, Alice is definitely a former human. There's an entire section in PMiSS about human-turned-Magicians and naturally-born-Magicians and they explicitly mention Alice as being the former (and Patchouli as the latter). There's even a section in her profile about how she still has some old human habits like eating and sleeping, since she only recently turned.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Yeah, but if the pc98 games have any relevance to current continuity, (which they probably don't, but hey Alice at least still has that book), then she might be a human native to Makai, whatever that means. It probably means nothing honestly, because as you said her stuff in PMiSS pretty much places her as functionally exactly the same as a human, just wanted to imply that Alice is probably a separate case from the rest of the humans in Gensokyo.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
I'm pretty sure magicians, which Marisa herself reels herself towards every now and then as a metaplot point, really count. They're only youkai in the sense that Japanese Mythos calls anything that isn't human youkai.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I do wonder how they're going to write the eventual 'Kosuzu goes full youkai' parts because there's no way Reimu is actually going to exterminate her for-reals and how do you do that without making her come off as a hypocrite?

... Wonder if count Youkula should have challenged her to a spellcard duel.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
It's entirely possible the story may end with Reimu changing her principles on this kind of thing.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Pureauthor posted:

... Wonder if count Youkula should have challenged her to a spellcard duel.

The spellcard rules exist as a ritualised form of the whole youkai eat humans/humans hunt youkai concept without either side getting hurt or killed. Considering Reimu's goal was straight-up exterminating that dude I don't think that would've made a difference.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

The real problem is that his hat wasn't goofy enough

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Gamerofthegame posted:

I'm pretty sure magicians, which Marisa herself reels herself towards every now and then as a metaplot point, really count. They're only youkai in the sense that Japanese Mythos calls anything that isn't human youkai.

No, there's a specific bodily transformation that they have to undergo before being considered youkai. Akyu calls it the spell to "abandon food", after which their body is powered by raw magic and they don't need to eat or sleep. There's no ambiguity whatsoever about what being a youkai magician means. Marisa hasn't crossed that line, so she's a pure human magician, for now.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

BlitzBlast posted:

It's entirely possible the story may end with Reimu changing her principles on this kind of thing.

I could entirely imagine that if Kosuzu does become a youkai, Reimu just decides to make an exception because they're buddies. After all, Reimu has already made plenty of exceptions in her youkai extermination policies just because she doesn't want to upset Kosuzu.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I think you guys are all forgetting the fact dudes can't into spellcard rules so Reimu had to resort to medieval measures

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Yeah, I never quite got that part of canon.

*Woke from a thousand-year slumber/sealing*

*Automatically knows spellcard rules*

:confused:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

"Before you attack, make a pose and a name"

It's easy!

lick it or ticket
Apr 12, 2013

When you want to laugh cry as hard as you can, when you want to cry laugh all you can. When you see rain, just think of it as the world laughing with you, and laugh until you can't anymore.

WarpedNaba posted:

Yeah, I never quite got that part of canon.

*Woke from a thousand-year slumber/sealing*

*Automatically knows spellcard rules*

:confused:

*draws card*

*point and fire*

This ain't Bridge, man. Spellcards are easy!

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Clarste posted:

No, there's a specific bodily transformation that they have to undergo before being considered youkai. Akyu calls it the spell to "abandon food", after which their body is powered by raw magic and they don't need to eat or sleep. There's no ambiguity whatsoever about what being a youkai magician means. Marisa hasn't crossed that line, so she's a pure human magician, for now.

Oh no, Marisa certainly isn't. But it's been a reoccurring character trait that she's hella interested in immortality. Granted, I think it was abandoned for a couple games until WaHH.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

At least in SoPM Marisa seemed more interested in hermit immortality than youkai immortality. Though maybe she's just looking into it through multiple angles, the only one she's ever expressed dislike of is just using the cheat code that is the Hourai elixir.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Gamerofthegame posted:

Oh no, Marisa certainly isn't. But it's been a reoccurring character trait that she's hella interested in immortality. Granted, I think it was abandoned for a couple games until WaHH.

On the other hand, she keeps looking for shortcuts so I don't think she's all that interested in becoming a youkai. She doesn't seem to be researching the immortality spell either. Rather than being obsessed with it, I'd say her attitude is more like "why wouldn't I want to live forever?"

SyntheticPolygon posted:

At least in SoPM Marisa seemed more interested in hermit immortality than youkai immortality. Though maybe she's just looking into it through multiple angles, the only one she's ever expressed dislike of is just using the cheat code that is the Hourai elixir.

The impression I got was that she wouldn't mind the Hourai elixir, she just didn't want to eat Mokou's liver because that's disgusting.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jul 12, 2015

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

She did get tempted over to Taoism when Miko told her it would help her attain immortality.

On the other hand, she was proselytizing.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Hey the FMW2 translation is still a thing.

We've finally entered the editing phase, so I figured I might as well release what we have at the moment.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Now, you too can play it in English as long as you make all the same decisions BlitzBlast did and see all the same cutscenes that are in his LP.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Yeah you just gotta play the game right. :smug:

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Do we have any news on an English patch for ULiL?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

People are working on it. And I'm in their chat channel so they think I'm working on it too, I guess.

Most of the text is in images, so there's a lot of work in that regard. The fonts are also kind of crazy.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Speaking of ULiL, how is it in comparison to HM.

Does it actually resemble a finished game and if so is it fun to play?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Well, the final boss is playable and everyone has three spellcards, so that's a start. I'm not nearly good enough at fighting games to give a useful account on how it plays, but I've generally heard that it's an improvement in most ways.

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Speaking of ULiL, how is it in comparison to HM.

Does it actually resemble a finished game and if so is it fun to play?

FWiW, I like it. I did not like HM. I did like Soku.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Clarste posted:

People are working on it. And I'm in their chat channel so they think I'm working on it too, I guess.

Most of the text is in images, so there's a lot of work in that regard. The fonts are also kind of crazy.

Tell them I said thanks, it's rather thankless work from what I've gathered.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

As far as I know the general opinion of ULiL is "why would I play that after HM sucked so hard?"

I tried some netplay, and while they did implement a delay-based netcode, it still sucks so I've got no real reason to play it. The removal of popularity can only mean the game got better I suppose but I imagine it's still on the level of Smash more than anything.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

But Smash is good.

Edit: Though a Smash without online would be less good I suppose.

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jul 17, 2015

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Hopeless Masquerade took a long time to get there, but when it got finished it eventually managed to get a surprisingly complex, extremely combo-heavy form of high-level play. It still wasn't all that accessible, though, so casual play still kind of sucked.

Urban Legend in Limbo plays a lot more simply while still having the mechanics in there that supposedly supports the former (it hasn't really been long enough to create a scene yet.) It's a lot more accessible than Hopeless Masquerade because of it and feels a lot better. Its netcode still kind of sucks.

Also, Urban Legend in Limbo is a game that was actually complete on release, so all the subsequent patches have actually been for post-release stuff instead of fixing their hopelessly unfinished game.

mdct fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jul 17, 2015

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
ULiL is really, really dumbed down. It's not a bad game, but really simple and has much less content compared to Soku or IaMP.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

On the other hand, turbo granny

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

I'm still surprised they didn't do to Kasen what they did to Byakuren.

... the constant religion motif. Not the supertits.

Although that was also surprising.

That she didn't get them.

And maybe a little disappointing.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Kasen isn't particularly religious. Part of her character is that she doesn't really understand what a hermit is, other than the general "badass superhuman wiseperson" stereotype. She's a nice person playing hermit, without much if any spiritual background.

All her skillcards are just summoning her animals (because her "power" is to talk to animals), and most of her spellcards are her using her magic bandage arm. Incidentally, all her pets get names in the manual (because those are the names of her moves). The tiger is Houso, the raijuu is Mukou, the eagle is Kanda, the seal is Manzairaku, and the dragon is Koutei.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

I'm glad the seal from WaHH got to show up in a game.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

All her pets had chapters devoted to them in WaHH, actually. Well, except the dragon but he's made more cameos in exchange.

The eagle is a dumb spoiled brat who can't fly in the dark, the raijuu poisoned Reimu and Marisa, and the tiger attacked Marisa (in self defense!) and her arm would've needed amputation if not for magic medicine.

The moral here is that Houso is the most powerful character in Touhou.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Didn't she also kill her raijuu by the time ULiL happened or was that another pet?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

She killed a thunder lizard, which is different from a thunder ferret or whatever it is.

Nages
Dec 31, 2011

Just yell at her like you always do. Bitch, get out of the way!
You can't really blame the tiger for guarding her house from noted bugler Marisa Kirisame. Maybe it's a bit messed up to call that tiger out in a street fight against her though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I always liked how Marisa used Western astrological inspired magic through Chinese alchemy in comparison to Patchouli's using Wu Xing magic through Goetic paraphernalia.