Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Dumb uninitiated user here: is stuff like DU Battery Saver is worth keeping, or is it snake oil? Better yet, is DU Speed Booster just intrusive snake oil that forces antivirus on you?

How often should I clear my phone's system cache? Is it overly paranoid to clear my system cache whenever an app I want to run smoothly gets an update that completely overhauls its performance optimization?

I installed Lollipop 5.1 last week and I got the general impression that the app optimization it performed on everything (Optimizing app 1 of xx apps..., etc.) was a good thing. Is there a way to repeat this process for a single app?

Also which launcher gives you this (assume I already have a Droid Turbo):

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Argh my eyes :barf:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Just let your phone do its thing. Lollipop already has a battery saver mode built in (tap the battery in the pulldown, then hit the ... menu) that basically does what the others try to do - it dims your screen (you can put it back up) and limits network activity, which means you get less timely updates but less drain

The 'optimising' thing apps do is basically a compilation process - it's building and installing the app on your device, if you like. It'll do it when there's an update, and there would be no point in rerunning it any other time

Leave the caches alone unless you have a reason to mess with them, which you very probably don't! Just enjoy your phone eh

And any launcher can do that - just looks like some clock'n'weather widget, some icon set, and the usual buttons hidden. The launcher just lets you do the hiding and gives you more control over the positioning of the icons, like the spacing. Nova and Apex are the popular ones, there's a thread here about all that

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
Does anybody with a Galaxy device know how I can get S Translator back? I had it installed on my Note 3 but it seems like the upgrade to Lollipop has removed it. Now I just have a shortcut to some Samsung app store that gives an error message every single time.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Excellent! Thanks for dealing with my my :tinfoil: questions.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
I'm having some awful problem, the clicker on my headphone simply stopped working one day, and it was really fast, after just one week use, it's a soundmagic e10. If I'm using VLC and I insist on clicking eventually it will start working again but it won't work anywhere else. I tested the default video player, spotify and poweramp. On spotify it will open the search if I press it 3 times. Also, if I drag the notifications panel down and click it will first select the top where the clock is then it will alternate between opening and closing the panel with wifi and flashlight icons, the same as if you touch the top of that panel, so the phone is receiving the signal, why the hell won't it work on spotify?

program666 fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jul 17, 2015

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Excellent! Thanks for dealing with my my :tinfoil: questions.

Run boy, you're free now!

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.
What's the new hotness weather app? I've been using BeWeather Pro since Gingerbread (the clock/current weather widget was awesome) and it no longer seems to work on M.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

FlyingCheese posted:

What's the new hotness weather app? I've been using BeWeather Pro since Gingerbread (the clock/current weather widget was awesome) and it no longer seems to work on M.

Hey, that's what I used to use!

I've been enamored with the Forecast.io API because when I want weather I care most about the next few minutes so I can leave my top down on the car so I've been using Arcus. There are those who also like the API and use Weather Timeline or Simple Weather.

As for a widget, I don't use the inbuilt ones but instead use DashClock as a full-panel homescreen widget (as lockscreen widgets are now deprecated). Arcus allows you to populate the DashClock extension with whatever data is pertinent to you so you can pick and choose the information you care most about. Having DashClock allows the screen to show only the stuff I care about like upcoming appointments and alarms while also providing shortcuts to those apps but without cluttering the screen when there isn't anything to worry about. All in all I find DashClock to be a way better substitute for a myriad of widgets with mismatched typefaces while just providing what I need to know when I need to know it. I really don't think I could do without it as it's informative and looks great and sometimes doesn't look like anything at all.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

I use this because it is good.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Man, if Weather Timeline somehow had radar, it would be perfect.

Edit: Haha, it does!

hooah fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jul 17, 2015

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Maker Of Shoes posted:

What a coincidence! That is the same reason I use it!

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

hooah posted:

Man, if Weather Timeline somehow had radar, it would be perfect.

Edit: Haha, it does!

I wish their radar portion was a bit more robust but it works well enough.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

In the UK the BBC weather app does everything I want from it, no idea what it's like overseas though

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=bbc.mobile.weather&hl=en_GB

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
I'm trying out Weather Timeline, and it's nice, but I think it's confusing rain and humidity. It's telling me that it's supposed to be raining and continue raining all evening, with the % chance in the 60s and 70s. Then I load up Accuweather and see partly sunny all day, 7% chance of rain, but 65% humidity. Between this and the godawful radar, I don't know if I'll continue using it.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I'm trying out Weather Timeline, and it's nice, but I think it's confusing rain and humidity. It's telling me that it's supposed to be raining and continue raining all evening, with the % chance in the 60s and 70s. Then I load up Accuweather and see partly sunny all day, 7% chance of rain, but 65% humidity. Between this and the godawful radar, I don't know if I'll continue using it.

Sounds like the weather provider you selected during setup is poo poo in your area, not the fault of the app. Try changing it.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Sounds like the weather provider you selected during setup is poo poo in your area, not the fault of the app. Try changing it.

Everyone talks about Forecast.io like it was created by god :shrug:

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Everyone talks about Forecast.io like it was created by god :shrug:

Depends on your location.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Yes. Also, if you installed this app a long while back like I did, you might have a weird provider. I checked yesterday and mine was set to YR.no which was always 5 to 10 degrees different from other weather apps in my area. Forecast.io seems to be closer to what the local tv stations and such cover where I am.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006
No love for 1 Weather, huh? It's pretty amazing.

Brain Aged
Feb 10, 2005

Bridle all this indiscretion, Long enough to edify. And permanently fill this hollow
Me and my wife both use Weather Timeline. Both are set up identical. Sitting right next to each other we will get completely different forecasts and temps will be off up to 5 degrees. I have no idea wtf is going on with that app.

Brain Aged fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jul 18, 2015

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Brain Aged posted:

Me and my wife both use Weather Timeline. Both are set up identical. Sitting right next to each other we will get completely different forecasts and temps will be off up to 5 degrees. I have no idea wtf is going on with that app.

Check your sources.

Left top arrow > Settings > Data & Updating > Data Source

Is it the same? If so, then maybe one of you is somehow using a set city and the other one is using GPS to determine location or something?

ACRE & EQUAT
Aug 28, 2004

FUNERAL BREADS
WAR BREAD
So I know facebook dropped XMPP a while back (https://developers.facebook.com/docs/chat) but for some reason it Trillian can still use facebook messenger (http://help.trillian.im/kb/accounts/facebook-connectivity-fixes-for-mobile-and-desktop-devices)
How are they doing this? Are there any open source apps that can still access facebook messenger? I want to know before I buy trillian

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

What's a good app for using my phone's camera as a color picker?

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

AnimalChin posted:

No love for 1 Weather, huh? It's pretty amazing.

Thanks for the heads up. I've been using 1 Weather off and on today and it's really nice. It might replace Weather Timeline for me.

I can't imagine how many weather apps I've paid for and tried at this point...

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006
Is there any twitter client that will let you color code accounts that isn't plume?

I really wish plume wasn't so broken :( It's perfect when it works, but that's only 75% of the time.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

ACRE & EQUAT posted:

So I know facebook dropped XMPP a while back (https://developers.facebook.com/docs/chat) but for some reason it Trillian can still use facebook messenger (http://help.trillian.im/kb/accounts/facebook-connectivity-fixes-for-mobile-and-desktop-devices)
How are they doing this? Are there any open source apps that can still access facebook messenger? I want to know before I buy trillian
Some people report still being able to connect through XMPP. Other apps, like pidgin, has through plugins implemented the new facebook chat protocol.

I have no idea what the case is with trillian, but it shouldn't be impossible either way.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

What is my best bet for a 5.0-compatible alarm that has good pre-alarm support? IIRC gentle alarm didn't play well with the new APIs.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

IuniusBrutus posted:

What is my best bet for a 5.0-compatible alarm that has good pre-alarm support? IIRC gentle alarm didn't play well with the new APIs.

I too can't live without the pre-alarm and I use Timely.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

IuniusBrutus posted:

Gentle Alarm has been fine after a few updates a couple of months ago. I use it all the time again and have not noticed problems or missed alarms (Nexus 5 on 5.1.1).
True, there were a few months where it was basically unusable, but give it a go again.

It still looks like poo poo though.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

LastInLine posted:

I too can't live without the pre-alarm and I use Timely.

You guys should just get a older and then you start waking up before the alarm.

Then you just stop using an alarm at all.

(getting old isn't fun)

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Thermopyle posted:

(getting old isn't fun)

I do the wake up before the alarm part now, thankfully not old enough to not need one yet

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

(getting old isn't fun)

I wake up most days before the alarm but I'm not confident enough to forgo one altogether.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Getting a cat and letting it know that morning is when it gets fed works too.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

docbeard posted:

As long as you're confident you'll never want to sleep in again at any point

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

docbeard posted:

The same works with dogs. But then they start getting up even earlier and then you fall asleep on the couch after they eat and start to need an alarm again. Life is tough.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Thermopyle posted:

(getting old isn't fun)

Psh, I've done this since high school. I'm sure zero hour and morning swim practices combined to warp my sleeping.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

AnimalChin posted:

Is there any twitter client that will let you color code accounts that isn't plume?

I really wish plume wasn't so broken :( It's perfect when it works, but that's only 75% of the time.

Twidere is looking quite promising.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.mariotaku.twidere

Favela Flav
Dec 24, 2009
Hi goons. I hope this is the right thread to post in. I need some app advice and this is my first tablet/android device.

My laptop burned out sooner than i thought it would. The HDD overheated and burned out the motherboard. Im building a gaming rig but i got a got a great deal on a Samsung Tab 4, running on KitKat to tide me over. It does everything i need it to, mostly.. i can access all the stuff i had backed up, plug it into the tv and watch movies, all that stuff.

I hate not being able to do like 10 things at once but thats no biggie.. My help/question/need is.. i need advice on the best app for streaming sites. Ive tried chrome, firefox, flashfox etc.. but they dont seem to have much compatability with dailymotion or vimeo.. flashfox seems to work best but on dailymotion the ads work just fine :rolleyes: but i only get audio on the cartoons and stuff i want to see, and vimeo.. nothing.

I like to stream vids with other goons on some sites and it sucks when a movie comes on and all i get is ads and audio.

Im still getting used to android so any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klowns
May 13, 2009

Laugh At Me Will They?

Thermopyle posted:

(getting old isn't fun)

I got an UP 2 fitness band and it has an alarm clock function that vibrates, it's amazing how much better a little wrist band vibrating wakes me up over an audible alarm.

• Locked thread