Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

gently caress, out of stock. If I put it on my wish list or whatever would I still get the discount or am I poo poo out of luck?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

today I played at an x wing tournament and discussed with my friend the different pilots in terms of boxing styles so we could both better play with and against them.

I didn't know how to play as Corran but him being explained as a peekaboo mike Tyson with guards up and incredible distance coverage improved my game.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Purely defensive IG88 with push and sensors that seeks to deal and receive one damage every turn is mayweather which explains all the bullshit. :mad:

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I would like to know more of the X-Wang/boxing analogies.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
There's some sort of tournament around here in a couple weeks. The idea is to bring two lists, and your opponent picks which one to fight. I'll be using my trademark XXX list, but for the second list (the lists can't share unique pilots) I'm thinking:

Corran Horn (35)
Fire Control System (2)
R2-D2 (4)
Outmaneuver (3)

Horton Salm (25)
Ion Cannon Turret (5)
R2 Astromech (1)
BTL-A4 (0) [maybe?]

Gold Sq. Pilot (18)
Ion Cannon Turret (5)
R2 Astromech (1)
BTL-A4 (0) [maybe?]

Total: 99

Pretty sure the idea there is self-explanatory. And then, the other list to pick from:

Wedge Antilles (29)
Opportunist (4)
R2 Astromech (1)

Luke Skywalker (28)
Veteran Instincts (1)
R2-D2 (4)

Wes Jansen (29)
Veteran Instincts (1)

Total: 97

This list in particular has worked well for me. Mostly recently, it flat out eviscerated a decent Brobots list when Wedge landed an Opportunist enhanced nine hits over two turns to blow one out of space before the merge even finished. It was pretty sweet.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I have a feeling most people are going to pick the Triple-X list either out of curiosity or because they figure it for an easy win, so I'd plan on getting more play with that one and I hope you wreck house.

Man, I wish someone ran X-Wing tournaments around here, I feel like I'm missing out.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Kai Tave posted:

I have a feeling most people are going to pick the Triple-X list either out of curiosity or because they figure it for an easy win, so I'd plan on getting more play with that one and I hope you wreck house.

Man, I wish someone ran X-Wing tournaments around here, I feel like I'm missing out.

This is exactly the idea, and I'm pretty sure it'll work because Corran is scary and mean. X-wing players in Kansas City have gotten fat and stupid against X-wings (irony meter approaching dangerous levels) because they don't have reposition options and mediocre dials. They completely forget that 9/10/10 PS means gently caress your arc dodgers you better guess drat good where I'm going and also 13 red dice with focus on the merge is loving painful.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Post a trip report and tell us if you make any Fat Han players cry.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Where do you guys get images of cards to use for proxying?

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Man RAC with VI, Vader and Gunner is ridiculous. Played an Echo + Soontir list and killed them both before they could fire.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

fadam posted:

The X-Wing Wiki has an image of pretty much every card up for grabs, it's where some of the local players I know get theirs.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Kai Tave posted:

The X-Wing Wiki has an image of pretty much every card up for grabs, it's where some of the local players I know get theirs.

This is perfect, thanks dude.

If I buy a Star Viper for the Auto thruster card (I proxied it on SF and I loved it), will my buddy who wants to play Scum get any value out of it?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

The Starviper is in a weird place and it is likely to lose its slot within the scum roster to the khriziazziz fighter. The best comparison to the Starviper is the E-Wing, in that the low PS pilots aren't worth it and the high PS pilots are almost entirely dependent on their special ability. Guri is pretty good, you just have to be careful about not loading her up with too many upgrades.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."

fadam posted:

When I was replacing all the art in the vassal module I just googled up card names and got a high res picture, was very convenient.

ElBrak fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Jul 16, 2015

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Tekopo posted:

The Starviper is in a weird place and it is likely to lose its slot within the scum roster to the khriziazziz fighter. The best comparison to the Starviper is the E-Wing, in that the low PS pilots aren't worth it and the high PS pilots are almost entirely dependent on their special ability. Guri is pretty good, you just have to be careful about not loading her up with too many upgrades.

Unfortunately there's no one Corran Horn good in the starviper, though the dial is nice.

If you could run 4 starvipers with autothrusters it would be a really good ship.

What you'll probably see with K fighters are either Talonbane Cobra with other things or 3 aces with predator and then something else. I don't think the K fighter is survivable enough for KKKKK to work.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Kai Tave posted:

I would like to know more of the X-Wang/boxing analogies.

Well it was more using style and combo favorites of lists and ships and sometimes tying them into boxers. Jabs, hooks, uppers are all p relatable. Like I feel super aggressive EI+expose Oicunn (we call him perverted Oicunn due to his propensity to expose himself and ram the closest ships) and phantom would be someone like Foreman who would die to a swarm fighter (and list) like Pacquiao given the same weight class. But it just takes a couple well placed hits. I hesitate to name it but we thought classic Chiraneau and phantom/Baron is Ali. Though Corran and super dash is also a good comparison. Fat Han with Zs feels like James Toney to me cuz of the screening and counter punching Han's right shovel and lol he's fat. BBBY/BZ is the golden boy cuz of mean crosses and that constant drowning style pressure. Stuff like that.

My friend and I both box and play Go and we were trying to better understand the game on our own terms. Thinking of the game as capturing areas for Go is much easier for us to think about while the turn by turn moving and circling is like boxing.

I might paint up some gloves on a big ship. Or a left and right glove on each of the two Zs that I won last night. Hmm

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Jul 16, 2015

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Also a big problem with the StarViper is that you desperately need to win the PS bid with them and not even VI gets you past PS9.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

Kai Tave posted:

Vassal beckons..

fadam posted:

http://www.afewmaneuvers.com/topic/573-full-card-list-by-expansion/

fadam posted:

If I buy a Star Viper for the Auto thruster card (I proxied it on SF and I loved it), will my buddy who wants to play Scum get any value out of it?

Yes, the Star Viper rules. Xizor swarm is very fun to fly-- if an opponent focuses on him you can spread out the damage and usually get him out of there, or just let him die and keep trucking the swarm forward and blocking them till they [edit:the other guys] die. If they focus on the swarm first then Xizor is an excellent late-game ace. The key is to avoid the pitfall of comparing him ship-to-ship-- Xizor is a dickhole that never fights a fair fight :greenangel:

Chill la Chill posted:

Thinking of the game as capturing areas for Go is much easier for us to think about

Go on...

mellowjournalism fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jul 16, 2015

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Regarding Vassal, I am not sure how to work it but I'd be down to play.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
I'd love to play this on Vassal to see if, you know, I like it and it's worth buying. If anyone wants to give me an intro game on there I'd kill a small baby for the chance.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
The cool thing about Vassal is that not only can you play live online or via email, you can switch between both methods in the same game. I dug up my old posts and added a little (and corrected the 2013 sample squad link):

yellowjournalism posted:

I wrote a little reference thingy for email vassal games that I use with friends. Vassal is really intimidating at first but once you get used to it it's really really convenient and fast. At this point I don't even use tokens any more, I just click on a ship and cycle thru action tokens with Ctrl+A. Shift+A if you need to add another token. I don't mess with shield tokens either any more, I just decrease the shield/hull stats on the ship base itself (but of course draw cards when actually dealing damage).

----------------------------- X-Wing Vassal Email Instructions ---------------------------
Setup
Download vassal: http://www.vassalengine.org/
Download the X-wing Module: http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_X-Wing_Miniatures_Game
(Technically all you need is the latest Star_Wars_X-Wing_Miniatures_Game-5.*.*.vmod file)

Making your move
-Start Vassal
-Load the X-wing Module
-If you have the Wizard enabled, select Load saved game and hit next
-Click select and browse to the attached .vlog and hit finish
-After the UI opens, click the Map button
-Click the Step Forward button (looks like "-->|" ) until it says "End of logfile. Start new logfile?"
-Select yes and enter desired filename
-Make your move(s)
-Select File > End Logfile
-Email the logfile to opponent

Keyboard shortcuts:
Straight: Shift + 1,2,3,4,5
K-turns: Alt + Ctrl + 1,2,3,4,5

Left Banks: Ctrl +1,2,3
Right Banks: Alt +1,2,3

Left Turns: Shift + Ctrl + 1,2,3
Right Turns: Shift + Alt + 1,2,3

Nudge: Shift + up/down/left/right

Firing Arc: Ctrl + F
Target Lock Arc: Ctrl + L

Add stress: Shift + S
Cycle Actions: Shift + A

Reveal/Hide Maneuver Dial: Ctrl + R

Vassal can get glitchy on my macbook but I just restart and things are usually ok. If you find yourself constantly running out of memory go to Preferences and set your initial/max heap size to the amount of RAM on your machine.

Here's a file with the 2013 championship lists I set up for a game so you can dive in easy without having to set up all the ships, which is the most time consuming and annoying part. You do have to create your own maneuver dials (so they'll be encrypted by the password you set on install/preferences). But yeah once you get going it's loving amazing-- perfect collision resolution, sweet rear end firing arcs, fast play. If anybody wants to get an email game going (or schedule some live games on nights/weekends) just PM me.

Setting up the stats on the ships bases is the worst. Gotta increment each one by hand. Luckily you can copy paste bases for swarms and similar stat ships.

Alt + P: Pilot Skill
Alt + A: Attack
Alt + D: Defense
Alt + H: Hull
Alt + S: Shields

Alt + Ctrl + <letter> to decrease a stat.

yellowjournalism posted:

Oh and if you were to start an email game with a friend using that vsav file, just load the vsav, then do File > Begin Logfile, name it something like Game1Turn1Planning1.vlog, place your first asteroid or whatever, do your thing, and then do File > End logfile. Email the vlog to your opponent with the email template and you should be able to get email spacechess going in no time.

I could explain Vassal more later if it's too confusing. A vsav is like a snapshot of a boardstate, whereas a vlog actually stores a bunch of actions taken as steps.

But yeah the thing to X-wing Vassal is to not waste time with all the doodads. You can simulate your tabletop experience as much as you want but ultimately you don't need to use all the tokens and chits and cards and poo poo. And you shouldn't ever break out a maneuver template unless you're resolving collision (the collision guides are pretty loving handy though).

edit: Also, I play exclusively on the trackpad on my macbook and have no problems. Right click in Vassal is ⌘+click though, which is weird.

I'm playing right now through email and Wedge is about to blow Bossk out of the Hound's Tooth and into the Nashtah Pup but not before taking a range 1 from Talonbane McGraw. Luke is sitting blind in a debris cloud with 2 stress but... he's got the force

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

ShineDog posted:

I'd love to play this on Vassal to see if, you know, I like it and it's worth buying. If anyone wants to give me an intro game on there I'd kill a small baby for the chance.

Spoiler Alert: It is

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."
I wanted to thank the people for giving me feedback on Kavil a while back , I just never got around to posting. I'm introducing a friend to X-Wing tonight and beside the intro scenario what kind of list should I give a newer player that is both decently powerful and something that will not confuse a newer player. I find I keep going to the tried and true stuff and the I think that stuff is something a newer player might find intimidating.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

bunnyofdoom posted:

Spoiler Alert: It is

£10 for one of the plastic spaceships and I don't know anyone who plays though.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

ShineDog posted:

$10 in weird funny money is a small price to pay for an awesome, pre-painted ship that ONE DAY you could actually play with :colbert:

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Played my first game ever with a phantom, went with echo. First game, brobots both with VI instincts(ps8). Lost initiative. :argh:

Next game, next guy pulls out Han and Wedge. :cripes:

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
High PS fucks with arc dodgers so good. Can't get enough.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Dang, Whisper was a lot more fun before I learned they changed how decloak functions.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

ShineDog posted:

If you don't have anyone to play with, no wargame is ever worth even considering buying into.

If you're in a major city in the UK, you have people to play with (just check your FLGS).

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

So since the 1st of July, the Imperial Raider has a status of 'on the boat' on FFGs website, which means that a likely release date is late July/early August, using FFGs estimates. One of my friends is gonna get one thanks to winning a tourney as well :argh:

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Looking at how some swarm games have played out, I'm thinking 7 Zs with feedback arrays might actually be a workable build against your typical Fel-Chir builds, brobots, and others.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Lemon Curdistan posted:

If you don't have anyone to play with, no wargame is ever worth even considering buying into.

If you're in a major city in the UK, you have people to play with (just check your FLGS).

Hmm. The FLGS is travelling man, so it doesn't really have tables as it's more of a comic shop with a board game and RPG bit downstairs. Theres a wargames club locally, but they seem a little... groggy?

I dunno, any goons in Leeds?

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
I'm in Manchester, and we play (whenever we get chance) in Rochdale, but there are quite a few goons in Leeds.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

fadam posted:

Dang, Whisper was a lot more fun before I learned they changed how decloak functions.

I'm thinking of running whisper and two lambdas, one with hlc/expose and one with vader, and both with intelligence agent. Just like old times!

Edit: no lambdas have EPT, duh.

hoiyes fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Jul 17, 2015

EdBlackadder
Apr 8, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

Shockeh posted:

I'm in Manchester, and we play (whenever we get chance) in Rochdale, but there are quite a few goons in Leeds.

I miss Leeds, great city. I'm pretty sure there's an X-wing scene in the city, have you tried looking on Facebook? There are a tonne of groups.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

hoiyes posted:

I'm thinking of running whisper and two lambdas, one with hlc/expose and one with vader, and both with intelligence agent. Just like old times!

Edit: no lambdas have EPT, duh.

It's OK, focus increases your offensive output more than Expose.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Also it's pointless to have HLC and Expose, since they don't interact.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Tekopo posted:

Yeah youd see a lot more expose if it worked on HLC.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Tekopo posted:

Ah, I need to read better. This is why no-one at my league believed me that the rear firespray arc counts for tactician and neutralises backstabber.

OTOH five dice range 1 :rms:

The idea behind expose was more to offer a juicer target if whisper was out of position, maybe get them to split their fire. And the way I roll green, one = none.

hoiyes fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jul 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

ShineDog posted:

Hit me at mellowjournalism @ gentleman male if you want a vassal demo.

Panzeh posted:

Looking at how some swarm games have played out, I'm thinking 7 Zs with feedback arrays might actually be a workable build against your typical Fel-Chir builds, brobots, and others.

Bugzapper swarms can WRECK poo poo, do it

• Locked thread