Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

CVagts posted:

I didn't like Lambert through his personal quest, but all the interaction with him at Kaer Morhen made me like him. Especially finding out how he became a witcher and then the drinking shenanigans.
What I love is that after this, he's still a colossal dick. Its not like they get you to like him and all of a sudden he acts chill and friendly like a bunch of games would have. Nope, still a complete rear end in a top hat, but you don't wonder why Geralt hasn't just murdered the guy yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Lambert is Geralt's annoying younger brother. He pisses him the gently caress off but they still love each other, basically.

He's still an annoying poo poo, though.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Just broke the 100 hour mark, still haven't finished "gathering allies." Does this loving game ever end? I love it!

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Uselessness posted:

On a save game note/minor quibble, I wish these games used separate profiles for individual playthroughs, or some other way to identify saves, more than just the save date because that isn't too reliable if you revisit an old save and do anything that warrants updating the save point. It's pretty rough - if you play them more than once - to organise the saves, especially since the older two have a habit of just continually creating new saves and never cleaning up really old ones automatically. Witcher 3 is a lot better about it, but it's still a bit weird trying to manage manual saves. Probably just being able to rename manual/post game saves would be plenty. I'd do it manually and archive them individually, shifting directories around but I'm not sure it even matters with witcher 3, is the story dlc going to continue the character progression? Probably, since one is set in/around Oxenfurt and so is likely just a part of the existing open world, rather than a distinct campaign.

I mentioned this way way way back, but you can select a quest in your log and make it active and then save your game, and the name of the save will be that quest. It's not perfect but it's one way of 'filtering'. I recommended using the Gwent Collect'em all quest for one set of saves, and then whatever you want for another.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Solice Kirsk posted:

Team Lambert for life. Eskel is just a less cool Geralt. Also the idiot spilled a bunch of wine and crawled through it, doesn't do hilarious Vesemire impersonations, and doesn't throw down ice burns on Yen any chance he gets.

Lambert was mean to those trolls, so he's dead to me

Alasyre
Apr 6, 2009
I got the bad ending (regarding Ciri) my first time, because honestly, the "bad" options don't really come off as bad, at least by the dialogue options. The only good thing I did was go to Skellege to bury Skjall and I didn't take her to the Emperor, so I missed out on that (I wouldn't have taken the coin). However, playing a second time, the "right" choices really do come off as genuinely better when they play out.

Also, I thought I missed dice poker until I reinstalled the original game and played dice poker. Gwent 4 lyfe. I'm also convinced that, in between games, Lambert was subjected to a curse that made him go from cool witcher with some attitude to annoying prick.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
A lot of people were out of character in the first Witcher game. Lambert was one of them.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN

The Sharmat posted:

A lot of people were out of character in the first Witcher game. Lambert was one of them.

You didn't really get a chance to see how much of an rear end in a top hat he was. Geralt was there for maybe a day. You do get to see hints of it though, like him being an rear end in a top hat to Triss for no reason and refusing to call her by her first name.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Alasyre posted:

I got the bad ending (regarding Ciri) my first time, because honestly, the "bad" options don't really come off as bad, at least by the dialogue options. The only good thing I did was go to Skellege to bury Skjall and I didn't take her to the Emperor, so I missed out on that (I wouldn't have taken the coin). However, playing a second time, the "right" choices really do come off as genuinely better when they play out.

Also, I thought I missed dice poker until I reinstalled the original game and played dice poker. Gwent 4 lyfe. I'm also convinced that, in between games, Lambert was subjected to a curse that made him go from cool witcher with some attitude to annoying prick.

I got the bad ending too, basically it comes down to if you are being still too parental it seems.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

You are always parental with Ciri but its based on if you are controlling or supportive.

Alasyre
Apr 6, 2009
“Relax, you don’t have to be good at everything” definitely doesn't come off as controlling, though? Neither does "Calm down" for that matter. The others, I can understand.

Like I said, the right answers definitely play out better than the wrong ones, but by the time you find out you're a bad parent it's too late.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
So if I want to play this, should I play the first two games first? Or does this one stand fine alone?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

The Vosgian Beast posted:

So if I want to play this, should I play the first two games first? Or does this one stand fine alone?

You'll certainly understand the plot more, if that's important to you then yeah, play at least the second game, if not both. All three games are really good, but the first one is definitely a bit dated now, so play it first or never at all. It also seems like you'll understand more if you read the books too, but that's a bit much to ask.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

It works fine on its own. In my opinion each game has been a significant improvement on the last, W1 is decent, W2 is great, W3 is amazing. I honestly would just play Wild Hunt and if the setting and characters grab your interest, play W2 and maybe the first game between now and the expansion releases.

Some things may be a little confusing at first, but there isn't a lot of carryover of player choice between the previous games and Wild Hunt.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

And I think the OP has a link to a rundown a website did. It isnt the best or most comprehensive but it helps set the stage.

Also I really wish 1.07 would drop already, I would have played tonight :sigh:

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

The game stands fine on its own. If you want to catch up on the background to get more out of the story I would suggest reading the books more than playing the games; Wild Hunt is much more directly related to the plot of the novels than Geralt's Amnesia Adventures in Witcher 1 & 2

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock

Skip 1, play 2 -- it's great and not a long game at all. Actually pretty drat short. Although like others said you really don't need to play any of them to "get" Wild Hunt, but at least playing 2 will get you to know a little bit of what's going on.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
I never played the first two games and never read any of the books before playing this game. It's amazing and if you read the character info the game gives you you'll be fine.

After probably 150 hours of dicking around doing so much stuff in this game, I finally did the Battle of Kaer Morhen....

:smith: Vesemir... Nooooo.... I think this may be the first time I was genuinely sad at a video game death. gently caress off wild hunt.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

If you do play W2, read the character entries/journal logs, they shed a lot of light on goings on. If you skip 2, read all the character entries when playing W3.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

So I've just gone to Skelige, having mostly finished off Velen and Novigrad (missing out on a couple of higher level quests and some interesting places). How far along in the main quest am I?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
Does anyone know what it's like if you do pick Hjalmar? It feels like absolutely nobody did it.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Taear posted:

Does anyone know what it's like if you do pick Hjalmar? It feels like absolutely nobody did it.

I did it in second play, he's a hothead, but he's also not as dumb as he seems at first.

What happens in his side of investigation:

He saw that werebears were actually the three wildcarls, you head to their village, find a temple to forbidden god, and see a ritual how werebears are made: surprise, they're actually bears in human form, not the reverse.
You kill the druid that was doing it and find a letter on him that he was promised a position of advisor to next king for this assassination, but the letter is not signed and there's no witness, so Byrna gets away with it, instead of getting chained to a rock at sea.
Anyway, the revenge is made so the clan's honor is clear and Hjalmar becomes the king because Cerys got nothing without witcher's help.

Pyromancer fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Jul 17, 2015

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Pyromancer posted:

I did it in second play, he's a hothead, but he's also not as dumb as he seems at first.

He saw that werebears were actually the three wildcarls, you head to their village, find a temple to forbidden god, and see a ritual how werebears are made: surprise, they're actually bears in human form, not the reverse.
You kill the druid that was doing it and find a letter on him that he was promised a position of advisor to next king for this assassination, but the letter is not signed and there's no witness, so Byrna gets away with it, instead of getting chained to a rock at sea.
Anyway, the revenge is made so the clan's honor is clear and Hjalmar becomes the king because Cerys got nothing without witcher's help.

What happens in the quest to get friends for the battle of Kaer Morhen?

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

mmkay posted:

So I've just gone to Skelige, having mostly finished off Velen and Novigrad (missing out on a couple of higher level quests and some interesting places). How far along in the main quest am I?

More than a third into it, but not much more.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

drat, I want this new patch already :(.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Pyromancer posted:

I don't mean that - I mean what's he like as a king.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Palpek posted:

drat, I want this new patch already :(.

Me too. I stopped playing on Tuesday, not because of bugs or anything broken, but just because I wanted to leave enough game to play to experience the changes that the patch is bringing.
There's hints on twitter that it should, maybe, be hitting before the weekend is out https://twitter.com/Marcin360/status/621967889747329024

Taear posted:

Talk about Hjalmer He's pretty much your typical Skellige hothead, all about loving up the Nilfgaardians and raiding them no matter what. He keeps the staus quo, raids the mainland every spring. And Nilfgaardians and Skelligers die every spring. War, war never changes.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

pik_d posted:

What happens in the quest to get friends for the battle of Kaer Morhen?
He still comes, and Cerys still stays home to handle paperwork or whatever.

Taear posted:

According to epilogue he raids Nilfgaard shores all the time, so viking business as usual I guess.

Svanrige turns out to be surprisingly competent though if he ends up as king.

Pyromancer fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jul 17, 2015

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
I feel like "Act 2" of Witcher was super short. To be fair though, I did literally every sidequest for recruiting my bros before even finishing "in Ciri's footsteps". I can see now how the "preferred" order is, but I'm just so amazed at how great a job the devs did of allowing you to do things in p much whatever order you want. That's kinda rare in RPG games, and I really just appreciate how open and diverse this world is.

Seriously may be the greatest game I've played.

Pyromancer posted:

Svanrige turns out to be surprisingly competent though if he ends up as king.

He imposes a totalitarian monarchy and civil war rips Skellige apart...

Ironicaly though you only get this bad ending for Skellige if you ignored King's Gambit.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

JetsGuy posted:

He imposes a totalitarian monarchy and civil war rips Skellige apart...

Ironicaly though you only get this bad ending for Skellige if you ignored King's Gambit.

I'm pretty sure you can also turn down helping both hjalmar and cerys during the quest itself, maybe you get to see him be coronated in that case.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jul 17, 2015

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

I picked this up earlier this week and have been enjoying it. One thing that surprises me a bunch, and which I've heard no review/person mention, is just how anachronistic and not-serious the game generally is. "Welcome to our shithole!" is one of the first things I heard from a character - to say nothing of the stuffed unicorn stuff. It reminds me of that "Bard's Tale" revival on PS2 - really closer to a "Monty Python" sensibility than something like Skyrim with its self-seriousness.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Transistor Rhythm posted:

I picked this up earlier this week and have been enjoying it. One thing that surprises me a bunch, and which I've heard no review/person mention, is just how anachronistic and not-serious the game generally is. "Welcome to our shithole!" is one of the first things I heard from a character - to say nothing of the stuffed unicorn stuff. It reminds me of that "Bard's Tale" revival on PS2 - really closer to a "Monty Python" sensibility than something like Skyrim with its self-seriousness.

It's a fantasy medieval setting. They have Magic, physics, germ theory and fairly sophisticated medicine coupled with vikings, serfdom, and divine right of kings. It's definitely more "lived-in" of a setting than some other games--even Skyrim. Good example: most of the land you move through is farmland or the remnants of it that would be needed to feed the population. Whereas in other games you might get a few small vegetable patches to hint at agriculture and then hit untamed forest.

Edit: Yeah, proxy occasionally pukes all over my posts. Annoying as hell.

OAquinas fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jul 17, 2015

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

OAquinas posted:

It's a fantasy medieval setting. They have physics, germ theory and fairly sophisticated medicine coupled with vikings, serfdom, and divine right of kings. It's definitely more "lived-in" of a setting than some other games--even Skyrim. Good example: most of the land you move through is farmland or the r------WebKitFormBoundary12HTPsuvgjdJOSyk
Content-Disposition: form-data; get a few small vegetable patches to hint at agriculture and then hit untamed forest.

:stare:

Edit: Oh cool edit.

GET MY BELT SON
Sep 26, 2007

after having played this I really can't see myself ever going back to skyrim

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

Transistor Rhythm posted:

really closer to a "Monty Python" sensibility than something like Skyrim with its self-seriousness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHAIB_1pGGw

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNbMUadTu-E

GET MY BELT SON
Sep 26, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/Marcin360/status/622088434279170048

"Patch 1.07 will be arriving on all platforms in the next 24h"

Malek Deneith
Jun 1, 2011
Finally got around buying this and intend to get playing it soon. I'm wondering about one thing though - what's the consensus (if any) about '?' marks on the map? Seen some suggestions to turn them off, saying that it makes the game's exploration work better that way.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Malek Deneith posted:

Finally got around buying this and intend to get playing it soon. I'm wondering about one thing though - what's the consensus (if any) about '?' marks on the map? Seen some suggestions to turn them off, saying that it makes the game's exploration work better that way.

It really depends on how much you like blind exploration. If you plan to 100% the game I don't see how you could ever do that without them turned on. I like the balance of having a ton of stuff to explore but having a little bit of guidance to tell me whether I'm completely wasting my time wandering around empty grasslands vs wandering around empty grasslands where I am promised there is something interesting nearby.

And especially if you are going to deal with the ones in the water you need them on. Water exploration and combat is such a ballache you don't want to do it more than you have to.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

JoshTheStampede posted:

It really depends on how much you like blind exploration. If you plan to 100% the game I don't see how you could ever do that without them turned on. I like the balance of having a ton of stuff to explore but having a little bit of guidance to tell me whether I'm completely wasting my time wandering around empty grasslands vs wandering around empty grasslands where I am promised there is something interesting nearby.

And especially if you are going to deal with the ones in the water you need them on. Water exploration and combat is such a ballache you don't want to do it more than you have to.
Save yourself the time and sanity and skip those fuckers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
I'd keep them on. It's worth knowing where they are so you can pick up some on the way to do other poo poo. They're all pretty easy and those places of power are ?s and extremely needed and useful especially early. I really feel like they add to the game because you'll find yourself often taking detours and finding all sorts of fun poo poo to do. That's me though

Ravenfood posted:

Save yourself the time and sanity and skip those fuckers.

I did all White Orchard before leaving White Orchard, and was just floored at how big Velen/Novigrad is. I did a lot of the ?s through the course of doing sidequests and poo poo, you really don't have to go too far out of your way. That said, do all the sidequests you can even the ones with the skulls of doom. Smart combat you can win those too (maybe not on DM). I did go back and get the rest of them though and they're sort of worth it, sort of not.

they're sort of worth it in terms of you'll make decent enough money off them a few hundred crowns worth of crap gear you'll sell. Later in the game that doesn't matter though and it just kinda becomes an ocd thing.

Oh also, I found a ton of the school gear poo poo even without a map through hunting down the ?s, so that's worth it too.

That said, I know I'm denying it, but I'll probably be the psychopath that does all the Skellige ones too. I wish the "time played" poo poo in the PS4 version worked. As it is, the game counts time paused in "rest mode" as time played. :smith: