Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

fade5 posted:

Barry Goldwater was kinda crazy.

His opponents took his campaign slogan 'In Your Heart, You Know He's Right' and put out buttons and posters that said 'In Your Guts, You Know He's Nuts'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Thanks to World Famous Whore and fool_of_sound for the avatar and ClownSyndrome for the title!

:tipshat:

Eschers Basement
Sep 13, 2007

by exmarx

Mister Bates posted:

His opponents took his campaign slogan 'In Your Heart, You Know He's Right' and put out buttons and posters that said 'In Your Guts, You Know He's Nuts'.

Or appended billboards with "Yes, Far Right".

Eschers Basement fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jul 17, 2015

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Mister Bates posted:

If we have done poo poo like this, why the hell are today's Democrats such pussies about it? gently caress it, put out ads calling our opponents warmongering childfuckers.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Mister Adequate posted:

If we have done poo poo like this, why the hell are today's Democrats such pussies about it? gently caress it, put out ads calling our opponents warmongering childfuckers.
Because the modern day GOP is very good at controlling a narrative, whereas democrats are terrible at it.

Within days they'd twist it around into Democrats are terrorist-loving pedophiles.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Selachian posted:

I like Obama and all, but I think that's overly optimistic. I suspect he'll be comparable to LBJ; he doesn't have LBJ's legendary arm-twisting skills, but he's still shown an amazing ability to Get poo poo Done despite a divided and thoroughly useless Congress.

LBJ without Vietnam would probably be in the top 5 presidents, and if there's no ground war against ISIS, Obama doesn't have a comparable stone around his neck.

loquacius posted:

I think you might be giving LBJ a little too much credit here; the way I learned it, the only way he managed to get Congress to go along with his domestic reforms was by giving into their war demands.

I always heard he did it by cockslapping them.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Rorus Raz posted:

Because the modern day GOP is very good at controlling a narrative, whereas democrats are terrible at it.

Within days they'd twist it around into Democrats are terrorist-loving pedophiles.

It helps that the Republicans have a major news network which has spent decades cowing the other mainstream networks into covering their fake controversies.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Shugojin posted:

It's not even close to the most remote object, there's an entire belt of similarly large things beyond it and a massive cloud of smaller ones even further out. An Ignorant of Elementary Science Cartoon.

Elementary astronomy, lad. I don't think that the Kupier belt and Oort cloud are standard teaching in the classroom.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Stultus Maximus posted:

It helps that the Republicans have a major news network which has spent decades cowing the other mainstream networks into covering their fake controversies.
I think it's that coupled with the fact that for decades now journalism have not been biased left or right but towards monied interests and that's who the republican party represents.

Fox News just exacerbated things.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

WarpedNaba posted:

Elementary astronomy, lad. I don't think that the Kupier belt and Oort cloud are standard teaching in the classroom.

I know I learned about comets and the Oort cloud in elementary school. I admit that could have been from one of the science books I read because I was a nerrrrrrrd and also sickly/poor so books were about what I got to do besides feel like crap on many a day.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Fulchrum posted:

I always heard he did it by cockslapping them.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Mister Adequate posted:

Politics today are arguably cleaner than they've ever been.

Washington Post posted:

You want to talk dirty politics? Oh, we'll talk dirty. We'll talk about ... 1800!

Thomas Jefferson was attacked by ministers who accused him of being an "infidel" and an "unbeliever." A Federalist cartoon depicted him as a drunken anarchist, and the president of Yale warned that if Jefferson came to power, "we may see our wives and daughters the victims of legal prostitution." A Connecticut newspaper warned that his election would mean "murder, robbery, rape, adultery and incest will openly be taught and practiced" - though the paper (now the Hartford Courant) did apologize some years later.

In 1993. "You turned out to be a good influence on America," the editors wrote. Whoops! Never mind.

John Adams, the sitting president in 1800, also got hit with his share of slung mud. James Callender, a journalist in league with Jefferson, told the country that Adams was a rageful, lying, warmongering fellow, a "repulsive pedant" and "gross hypocrite" who behaved neither like a man nor like a woman but instead possessed a "hideous hermaphroditical character." There was also a nasty rumor that Adams had sent his veep to Europe to bring back four mistresses, two for each of them.

[...]

According to an 1864 edition of Harper's Weekly, Abe Lincoln was disparaged as a "Filthy Story-Teller," a "Buffoon," a "Usurper," a "Monster" and a "Land-Pirate." His enemies described him as "A Long, Lean, Lank, Lantern-Jawed, High Cheeked-Boned Spavined Rail-Splitting Stallion," which actually makes Lincoln sound kind of hot, except for the "spavined" part. (We looked it up. It invokes horses with diseased joints, or more generally, decrepitude and decay.)

As Jamieson notes in another book, Dirty Politics, presidential campaigns were thick with oversimplified attacks aiming at the gut, not the intellect.

"Campaigns generally ally the favored candidate with things uncritically accepted, such as flag and freedom," Jamieson writes, "and tie the opponent to such viscerally noxious things as the murder of innocent men, women and children."

In the 1828 election, Jamieson writes, Andrew Jackson's supporters distributed handbills portraying John Quincy Adams as driving away a "crippled old soldier" who asked for charity, with a horsewhip, no less. Adams's supporters put out handbills decrying Jackson's reputation as a military hero by painting the general's execution of six deserting soldiers as a bloodthirsty act, invoking the image of gallant young men "welter(ing) in their gore!!" Jackson's supporters replied with handbills suggesting that Jackson had not executed the soldiers but "swallowed them whole, coffins and all, without the slightest attempt at mastication!!!!!!"

Also from the Washington Post:

A pit bull on the pantleg of opportunity

SANCTUARY CITIES!

Trump

Scott Walker

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe

Rorus Raz posted:

Would it shock you that a THREE HOUR video was edited down to eight minutes to create a false scandal? No pimps this time, sorry.

"Ponytail, check"

"Earring, check"

"Hmm... something's missing....A-HA!"

*draws holding a newspaper with extended pinky*

"Glenn McCoy, you've outdone yourself!....ehh, I better make sure, just in case."

THE LEFT

Lord_Ventnor
Mar 30, 2010

The Worldwide Deadly Gangster Communist President

Sandpuppy posted:

"Ponytail, check"

"Earring, check"

"Hmm... something's missing....A-HA!"

*draws holding a newspaper with extended pinky*

"Glenn McCoy, you've outdone yourself!....ehh, I better make sure, just in case."

THE LEFT

The words just spontaneously appear on his shirt in the last panel.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Getting real tired of all these selfie jokes.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Rorus Raz posted:

What you and the other goons say is true and known to me, but I was just super frustrated with the whole drat business when I wrote that post.

Marxism
Feb 14, 2012

Spoeank posted:

It was a joke. I understand it's tough because we're not used to seeing jokes and Tinsley comics in the same vicinity.

Brilliant timing on his part, Make sure to stay serious about everything except the slaughter of innocent people. AGC.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Mister Bates posted:

... and let's remember, in the last couple decades of his life, Goldwater ended up on the squishy moderate wing as most of the rest of the Republican party careened to the right.

quote:

A few years before his death he addressed establishment Republicans by saying, "Do not associate my name with anything you do. You are extremists, and you've hurt the Republican party much more than the Democrats have."

Anyway, Keith Knight got political recently....

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Nice timing there, boozy.

I always turn to the MURDERS section of the paper first too.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Until we have strong, heavily-enforced federal-level controls on the purchase and ownership of firearms, local laws are going to have little effect.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
God bless Tinsley's two or so week delay on comics.

:(

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Fuckin ouch.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

That's just mean man. Isn't this basically local to Bennett? Kind of hard to avoid doing "thing happened, it sucks" cartoons when it's in your backyard.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I get that Bennett is a local cartoonist and his editor probably needed something to run for tomorrow, but that doesn't make the cartoon good.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Rorus Raz posted:

I get that Bennett is a local cartoonist and his editor probably needed something to run for tomorrow, but that doesn't make the cartoon good.

A kick to the nads, deservedly or not, is still a kick to the nads. You can't help but wince and sympathize.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Rorus Raz posted:

He did draw the fuckin' flag, though. Gorrell would have GIS'ed a flag in the breeze, drawn in an outline, thrown on a label, and called it a day.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Bennet has some really good cartoons, but you can't expect to hit the bullseye every time. This feels pretty lazy.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Somfin posted:

He did draw the fuckin' flag, though. Gorrell would have GIS'ed a flag in the breeze, drawn in an outline, thrown on a label, and called it a day.
Yeah, just based on this it's entirely undeserved

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Nobody mentioned the Seal? They should put that in the Senate.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

idgi

E: and grabbed the wrong one. Proving my point.

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

StealthArcher posted:

idgi

a sad thing happened.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

StealthArcher posted:

idgi

There's been yet again a mass murder, this time on Bennett's turf, so he's not in an emotional state to come up with something witty and just drew a half-mast flag.
http://www.wbir.com/story/news/2015/07/16/update-police-officer-shot-in-chattanooga/30238867/
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2015/07/16/chattanooga-shooter-mohammed-abdulazeez-profile/30265707/

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Bronwyn Bishop agrees to pay back $5,000 for taxpayer-funded helicopter trip to golf club fundraiser

good version of the pluto comic:

and some more Plutoical Cartoons from Pope's facebook page:

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005
A Miyazaki cartoon.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

this is pretty great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Steve Bell on Tory proposals for the BBC – Culture secretary John Whittingdale has announced a fundamental review of the size of the BBC, what it does and the way it is funded and questioned whether the corporation should continue to strive to be “all things to all people”" (Coat of arms of the BBC)

Telegraph:

Jeremy Hunt: Doctors 'must work weekends'

Independent:

Jeremy Corbyn "on course to come top" in the Labour leadership election

Times:

Test Card F

Mail:
Mac on...BBC wage bill

'It's their own fault for paying the stars too much'

• Locked thread