Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Grand Fromage posted:

I don't think you're an idiot, I just don't understand why someone qualified for the top rungs of the ladder would want to work at the bottom but it's your call. Hong Kong public schools are also worth a look. HK is awesome and pays a lot better.

Dave's ESL is the kind of place we're talking about that only posts lovely jobs.

Well the catch is that the better jobs I've seen listed have been specifying graduate degrees in Education, not in Humanities. I'm BA, MA, PhD, without any kind of B.Ed or M.Ed. They also want formal ESL teaching experience. I don't have much ESL experience besides dealing with the ESL students who have come into my essay writing/literature classrooms. Right now my biggest value in this education environment would be in working with ESL students who wish to study abroad (evaluating how they'd actually do in a real English-language university), and I plan to look for that kind of work on the side, outside of the EPIK work.

All of this might be moot anyway, because the recruiter has gone completely silent and not responded to any followups, so gently caress me, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Doesn't necessarily mean anything, don't worry.

The school year starts March 1st, if you wait until February there will be a bunch of universities desperate to hire literally anyone with a pulse because they had no foresight and have classes starting in a week with no professor and since you have a doctorate you'll be top of the list. That's how everyone I know with a uni job got theirs.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Jeoh posted:

Heh maybe if you had a real job you'd enjoy those benefits too :smug:

Is your real job poo poo posting for food?

caberham fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jul 16, 2015

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

CommonShore posted:

I personally know eight or nine people who have done EPIK, some of them many times over, and most of them are also grad school types.

:siren: I see :siren:

quote:

I've been combing through ads on international job boards, academic job boards, and places like Dave's ESL Cafe (which site I find disappointing).

:laffo: :smugdog: :laffo:

quote:

Good to know that the universities don't actually advertise the jobs in any of these places that I'd expect to see them. I have a Korean friend-of-a-friend who knows more about that, so I'll push through that channel a bit more.

Let me requote this:

JimBobDole posted:

Two fairs in BKK: ISS Job fair and Search. Trend is going away from fairs though. We negotiate our contracts EARLY this year in September. So the hiring season is more from October to Dec. for experienced teachers. Korea is the only place in Asia I've heard of people getting hired without a teaching certificate. The International schools say differently but they hire plenty without a certificate (work with two in my hallway).
Actually, s/he could probably check the schools now. Openings happen over summer.

Have you tried JET? It's East Asia so lots of options everywhere as long as you are qualified. The thing is, your not really 21 or 22 so finding jobs like that is kind of perplexing when you are more qualified.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Why do you keep treating this like a real job?

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)
Just because they say a M Ed doesn't mean that's all they will take. That's what they'd like but if they have a choice of a doctorate in English vs someone with an online masters of ed who interviews poorly they'll make the decision that's best for them. Don't make that decision for them.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

DontAskKant posted:

Just because they say a M Ed doesn't mean that's all they will take.

I always see people say this but I have never once seen or heard of this actually happening irl.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)

Love Stole the Day posted:

I always see people say this but I have never once seen or heard of this actually happening irl.

Isn't that the story of all those last minute uni jobs? Also a higher degree can sometimes make up for a more specific lower one. Maybe I'm thinking too highly of a doctorate, but I know some rankings give more points for professors with doctorates. Basically what I'm saying is if you do want one try for it. If you don't want to work uni right now then don't, but if the reason is some hr person is copying script onto a site from some business person and that doesn't exactly match up to reality...

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The majority of the people I know irl who have the fancy jobs with "requirements" and "qualifications" do not actually meet the requirements. The only exception is the jobs that require an F visa, I've only known one guy who got around that somehow.

Everything in Korea is negotiable. I know a Swede who teaches English at a native speakers only job. He wouldn't tell me how he got it though. It's a hagwon so I assume bribery was involved somewhere.

Remember it's Korea. Laws are suggestions at best.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Grand Fromage posted:

The majority of the people I know irl who have the fancy jobs with "requirements" and "qualifications" do not actually meet the requirements. The only exception is the jobs that require an F visa, I've only known one guy who got around that somehow.

Everything in Korea is negotiable. I know a Swede who teaches English at a native speakers only job. He wouldn't tell me how he got it though. It's a hagwon so I assume bribery was involved somewhere.

Remember it's Korea. Laws are suggestions at best.

You and I have had completely different experiences in this country over the years.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

caberham posted:

Is your real job poo poo posting for food?

Jeoh is scandinavian right? So yes.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

CommonShore posted:

I'd rather avoid getting into any :goonsay: about why I'm an idiot for making the decision I've made. I personally know eight or nine people who have done EPIK, some of them many times over, and most of them are also grad school types. I'm close enough to some of these folk that they would speak up if they thought I was doing something boneheaded and misery-inducing. They're not saying anything remotely like what I'm seeing in this thread. If you're having a bad time, my condolences.

I've been combing through ads on international job boards, academic job boards, and places like Dave's ESL Cafe (which site I find disappointing). Good to know that the universities don't actually advertise the jobs in any of these places that I'd expect to see them. I have a Korean friend-of-a-friend who knows more about that, so I'll push through that channel a bit more.

Yes, I hit my head hard recently, but I had applied for EPIK before that. I'm avoiding the Middle East, the Gulf especially, for political and climate reasons. I like being outside, and I'm pretty sure that it would take me five minutes to die in that kind of sun. I find it pretty depressing when I see a vertical list of "Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Qatar, Emirates" positions, but that's how it goes. A good friend of mine is doing one of the Kuwaiti university jobs right now, and that looks like a nightmare of direct sunlight and authoritarian government to me. I don't care if it pays 3x as much as EPIK - it's not worth it to me. I've been looking at positions worldwide outside of that. I had an on-campus interview for a tenure-track job pretty far north in Canada this spring, and I didn't get it. I've also been watching Nunavut/NWT postings but nothing in my wheelhouse has opened up. EPIK was always the backup plan if none of these other trees bore fruit.

I absolutely 100% know that I'll be working with kids, and I actually already volunteer time to work with kids now and then. My general plan is to do a year of EPIK to get some super low-effort cash working with kids instead beating my head against the wall for entitled teenagers at a Canadian university. I don't care if I have to work in someone else's classroom. I've been a TA 10x and I know how to let someone else drive. If I'm liking Korea/Asia generally, I'll then begin to hunt for one of these better, university positions for year two, ideally teaching English as literature instead of (or at least alongside) ESL.

I didn't call you an idiot.

And I am also a "grad school type," if that's how you classify someone with a graduate degree.

Anyways, sorry for offering another perspective. Keep your elbows out, is all I'm saying. I'm sure you'll have a great time as long as your school doesn't act like mine.

Maxsmart
May 24, 2008

Mexichat
Come on over and have fun for a year. We all take the jobs we have for different reasons.

Also gnet is done hiring for the year, but if you are looking for something in the future let me know.

e. Gnet sucks you in, I could move on to another job, but can't convince myself to do so.

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Maxsmart posted:

Come on over and have fun for a year. We all take the jobs we have for different reasons.

Also gnet is done hiring for the year, but if you are looking for something in the future let me know.

e. Gnet sucks you in, I could move on to another job, but can't convince myself to do so.

This is a trap.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

bringmyfishback posted:

I didn't call you an idiot.

And I am also a "grad school type," if that's how you classify someone with a graduate degree.

Anyways, sorry for offering another perspective. Keep your elbows out, is all I'm saying. I'm sure you'll have a great time as long as your school doesn't act like mine.

Yeah it wasn't you who called me an idiot, but it has happened a few times in the thread in quick succession, so some bristles came out.

What is Gnet? Google isn't helping me. Too many varied results.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Gildiss posted:

Jeoh is scandinavian right? So yes.

More like bastardized Scandinavian so it's English Dutch. But close enough because he likes to deep throat herring

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

CommonShore posted:

Yeah it wasn't you who called me an idiot, but it has happened a few times in the thread in quick succession, so some bristles came out.

What is Gnet? Google isn't helping me. Too many varied results.

Gimhae native english teaching. Gimhae is in the southern part of Korea and has awesome jobs

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

You and I have had completely different experiences in this country over the years.

Well think about it. Who is setting the requirements? Usually it's the school itself, so if they like you there's no reason they can't hire you. When it's a government requirement it's more difficult but Korea is not a law abiding country, if they really want you they'll find a way.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

http://gnet.gimhae.go.kr/main/

Like Epik but for Gimhae. Better pay, hours, vacation, and generally more "real teaching." Also nicer than being stuck in the countryside. Closer to Busan and has plenty of stuff to do on its own since it's a city. They're more selective with their hiring, but you meet their requirements.

Also it's like the first google result?

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jul 17, 2015

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

If you're not cold emailing your resume Korean uni campuses, you should be.

It sounds stupid but it will get you hired.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

Onion Knight posted:

If you're not cold emailing your resume Korean uni campuses, you should be.

It sounds stupid but it will get you hired.

You might as well fold it up into a paper airplane and throw it out the window

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer

No, that's what the doctorate in English is for.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

Do the null route and get an associates degree, work in Seoul and ball hard.

Also sign your life away to the air force and be bored 90% of your life.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

nullscan posted:

Do the null route and get an associates degree, work in Seoul and ball hard.

Also sign your life away to the air force and be bored 90% of your life.
Better than nothing :colbert:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I know two people who got jobs that way.

E: The last guy I know who got a university job did it this way. He has a bachelor's in... I don't even know but not education, and has been living in Korea for eight years or so and wanted to trade up. He just emailed his resume and a cover letter to a dozen universities in the middle of February. He was hired and moving to his new uni job within the week. He had more than one response and played them off to get a raise at the one with the location he preferred.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Jul 17, 2015

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

Grand Fromage posted:

I know two people who got jobs that way.

E: The last guy I know who got a university job did it this way. He has a bachelor's in... I don't even know but not education, and has been living in Korea for eight years or so and wanted to trade up. He just emailed his resume and a cover letter to a dozen universities in the middle of February. He was hired and moving to his new uni job within the week. He had more than one response and played them off to get a raise at the one with the location he preferred.

It's a good thing he had an F visa so that he could legally change jobs whenever he wanted

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer

It's a good thing he had an F visa so that he could legally change jobs whenever he wanted

Korea doesn't have laws. It's a good thing he knew a guy.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Whizbang posted:

Korea doesn't have laws. It's a good thing he knew a guy.

:lol: if you don't think that is how every workplace works.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Why would he need an F visa? His job ended and he found a new one. I did that twice on my ol E2.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

I know three people that got uni jobs. One M.ed, one unrelated master's, and one bachelors in education. Two called and the guy with the bachelors just walked in one day and asked to talk to hr.

University positions are one place where there is a serious lack of applicants with the right (or any) credentials and cold calls from drs will work. Sorry if that doesn't sit right with you, but those jobs are his for the taking.

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

The top 1% of ducks have control of 99.9% of the bread.
Got to say, I've really been enjoying Geoje life this year. My school has been insane sometimes but quality of life has kept me sane during the rough patches. Coming to enjoy Korea, got at least anothet year here if not more.

I did learn this week there are quite nice beaches and I live 10 minutes from the ferry to Oedo. Turns out I always go around the ship yard side of the island and not the shitload of pensions and love motels part. I am a terrible explorer.

Currently on vacation and thinking of doing a city break to Seoul for a few days but not sure what to see yet. Any suggestions would be great!

Kosh Naranek
Mar 8, 2008

Understanding is a three edged sword. Your side, their side, and a pair of ruby slippers.

Raeg posted:

Got to say, I've really been enjoying Geoje life this year. My school has been insane sometimes but quality of life has kept me sane during the rough patches. Coming to enjoy Korea, got at least anothet year here if not more.

I did learn this week there are quite nice beaches and I live 10 minutes from the ferry to Oedo. Turns out I always go around the ship yard side of the island and not the shitload of pensions and love motels part. I am a terrible explorer.

Currently on vacation and thinking of doing a city break to Seoul for a few days but not sure what to see yet. Any suggestions would be great!

Hey Raeg, I'll be on Okpo from next week and on/off until December. Let's grab a beer some time.

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

Kosh Naranek posted:

Hey Raeg, I'll be on Okpo from next week and on/off until December. Let's grab a beer some time.

Up for that, will try and sort something out.

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

Finally got around to doing the Kakao thing to.

raegn on Kakao

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
Any recommendations on a hip-hop club in Hongdae that's less crowded than NB2? I need room to dance!

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

terre packet posted:

Any recommendations on a hip-hop club in Hongdae that's less crowded than NB2? I need room to dance!

강남 너무 사람 많아
홍대 사람 많아
신촌은 물가 부족해..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3N8c1t1QTDI

To be in Hongdae means to be surrounded by far too many people at all times.

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007

:vince:

Holy poo poo this is amazing, thanks for linking it!

You're right, I'll hit up Itaewon next time. I know about House Ming on Thursdays, I'l have to find a good place that does hip-hop on weekends.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

terre packet posted:

:vince:

Holy poo poo this is amazing, thanks for linking it!

You're right, I'll hit up Itaewon next time. I know about House Ming on Thursdays, I'l have to find a good place that does hip-hop on weekends.

Here's the reference fyi: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aofSEVUbA80

The idea is that Itaewon is the Harlem of Korea.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

terre packet posted:

Try Club Lux

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TreFitty
Jan 18, 2003

Just curious: I started reading (and enjoying) a science fiction author from China, Cixin Liu. I'm going to read the second book in a popular trilogy when that comes out on August 11th, but thought I might move on to Korean authors after that.

Doesn't have to be science fiction, but fiction of some kind is preferred. Also must be translated to English. Any recommendations?

The book I'm currently right in the middle of is: http://www.amazon.com/Three-Body-Problem-Cixin-Liu-ebook/dp/B00IQO403K/ref=asap_bc?ie=UTF8 for reference