Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Spotted this today after work. It seems to have been a case of confusing the brake and gas on the part of an elderly driver according to the cop on the scene, right over the curb and into 3-4 foot of water in the retention pond. Apparently the water had dropped by nearly a foot from its highest level by the time I arrived, so its also possible that the curb was under water and she couldn't see them at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Edit: poo poo, double postin

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

SyHopeful posted:

1. Drive to [chain store/restaurant] in [strip mall] located near [spec home housing development]
2. Drive to Portland

Used to be, if you were in Portland, you had to drive to Vancouver for recreational marijuana.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

SyHopeful posted:

Counterpoint: Living in Vancouver

Ill take my no taxes, and no bicyclists (cause people are too afraid to ride them here). It all about trade offs. You enjoy your 405 (or 26, or i5, or ....) traffic at 11 am on a Saturday.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

ratbert90 posted:

You are literally advocating throwing a poor person in jail for a crime of having no insurance. What would that teach them? When they get out they will have even LESS money and possibly no job which will just turn it into a vicious cycle.
Of course there should be some kind of punishment, perhaps if there was a way the courts could look at someones financials and figure out a punishment that doesn't ruin a poor persons life?
Perhaps the government should fix public transportation?
Perhaps the government could subsidies auto insurance based off of financial need?

Nope, gently caress them poors, dump them in jail for not making enough money.

Also:
Getting drunk: Not necessary to keep your job.
Driving: Necessary to keep your job.

While I do agree that tossing a poor shlub in jail isn't the best response, something needs to be done about public transport, seriously. Problem is, nobody wants to pay the taxes that go towards funding public transit, and lots of people sure as hell wouldn't trust the US government to subsidize ANY insurance (hell, look at the bullshit we dealt with from ACA).

I'd say yeah, more reasonable punishments based on the person's current situation, maybe even counseling or other assistance to find out why they're down and out, but that's just crazy talk in the USA since we have more jails than schools or mental health facilities and it's easier for folks to ignore the problem and blame victims until something lovely happens.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Paradoxish posted:

Seems pretty unlikely that someone who's uninsured would actually have enough money on hand to cover any significant damages.

They'll have assets though, such as a car that can't be legally driven as their license is suspended.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

corgski posted:

They'll have assets though, such as a car that can't be legally driven as their license is suspended.

well, if it's their car, maybe. it also could be a complete jalopy, and not even worth taking.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
You guys do understand that you can't just take someone's poo poo because they owe you money, right? Not even creditors can do that if the assets in question aren't collateral.

edit- I guess you could theoretically get a lien against some property, but jesus christ

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
If you're too poor to have insurance, you really shouldn't be driving. That means that you're too poor to maintain a safe vehicle, and too poor to cover damages that your busted ride will cause to other people. I know that life is hard when you're at the bottom, it doesn't justify that risk.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

Paradoxish posted:

You guys do understand that you can't just take someone's poo poo because they owe you money, right? Not even creditors can do that if the assets in question aren't collateral.

edit- I guess you could theoretically get a lien against some property, but jesus christ

In Britain it may take six months and a few court appearances but you can get a court order for bailiffs to take peoples stuff for a debt (with the costs added to the debt owed). The only way to stop them is to become bankrupt.

Most people don't go through with it because of the hassle and time needed and courts don't like taking peoples stuff but it is a legal route.

See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbj-nA0YWY0

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
Why would somebody do this? (rat dog perched on the gas tank, not the terrible shot)

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Foxtrot_13 posted:

In Britain it may take six months and a few court appearances but you can get a court order for bailiffs to take peoples stuff for a debt (with the costs added to the debt owed). The only way to stop them is to become bankrupt.

Most people don't go through with it because of the hassle and time needed and courts don't like taking peoples stuff but it is a legal route.

Oh, I know you can do it through a settlement. I just mean that you can't take someone's stuff just because they owe you money - it requires an entirely separate judgment. It's also, like you say, unlikely that a court will actually award that kind of judgment in cases of legit financial hardship.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

NoWake posted:

Why would somebody do this? (rat dog perched on the gas tank, not the terrible shot)

My brother taught his dog to ride on the back of his motorcycle with no strap or harness. Considering the number of shirtless and helmetless motorcycle riders out there, having a dog aboard is negligible in terms of risk. Hell, having a tiny purse dog cushion your fall might save you a few broken bones.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

NoWake posted:

Same reason car driving idiots think it's a good idea to let their rat dogs sit in their lap while driving - they're idiots.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Almost got rear ended by a semi. There were two left turn lanes and he was in the right one. I was in the go straight lane behind another car. I noticed that the semi was going straight instead of turning about half way through the intersection, so accelerated to avoid getting side swiped (I was about even with his cab by this point). It would have been fine except the car in front just then stopped to turn into the Portillo's (mmm, Portillo's). Heard the semi lock up his brakes behind me before I had a chance to pull away.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHS6eGcn6FE

No sound, so you will have to imagine the point at which I laid on the horn.

Cellular Suicide
Dec 9, 2005

Classical 33's at 45RPM

spog posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHS6eGcn6FE

No sound, so you will have to imagine the point at which I laid on the horn.

This whole video is rage-inducing...did three people run the wrong way down a one-way (the first almost getting creamed by a large truck) before the incident in question even started?

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
Looks like an emergency vehicle went the wrong way to pass traffic.

Cellular Suicide
Dec 9, 2005

Classical 33's at 45RPM
That makes more sense, something about the perspective and the way that Fiat turned in was confusing me.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Cellular Suicide posted:

That makes more sense, something about the perspective and the way that Fiat turned in was confusing me.

Two left lanes are going in my direction, the third lane is incoming

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007
This happened earlier today. Had no idea the time stamp was wrong, I am not actually a time traveler. This kind of lack of awareness of ones surroundings is the norm it seems.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqR0OB3MIII&feature=youtu.be

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

antisodachrist posted:

This happened earlier today. Had no idea the time stamp was wrong, I am not actually a time traveler. This kind of lack of awareness of ones surroundings is the norm it seems.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqR0OB3MIII&feature=youtu.be

And that turn by the mini Kroger. No one can stay in their own lane there.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Uthor posted:

Almost got rear ended by a semi. There were two left turn lanes and he was in the right one. I was in the go straight lane behind another car. I noticed that the semi was going straight instead of turning about half way through the intersection, so accelerated to avoid getting side swiped (I was about even with his cab by this point). It would have been fine except the car in front just then stopped to turn into the Portillo's (mmm, Portillo's). Heard the semi lock up his brakes behind me before I had a chance to pull away.

Saw a UPS semi on the inside lane of an offramp casually drift into the outside lane then whoopsie back into his lane! This is the same offramp (Albany, I-87 to I-90) where I've seen trucks either panic-swerve onto the branch leading to the toll road or off of it. Sometimes they choose the third option, just stop in one of the lanes with their signal on, waiting. Then there's the truck that got stuck trying to go under a narrow railroad bridge at the bottom of a hill. After depositing a piece of fairing onto the road he threw it in reverse and snake-wiggled his way back up the hill into a T-intersection, stopping traffic in all directions.

I've learned to give these Emmy award winners a wiiiiiide berth or pass them as soon as it's safe. I always thought truckers were generally safer drivers, are hiring standards getting lower for some of these companies?

redgubbinz fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jul 19, 2015

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007

PaganGoatPants posted:

And that turn by the mini Kroger. No one can stay in their own lane there.

I see that when walking down to that Kroger all the time.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1aSvoIpVss

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
^^^^ JFC! ^^^^

Different kind of motorcycle video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJTXLuu7_0Y

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

I like the old lady. "He was right here, wtf!"

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
Pop quiz: You and your buddy are riding along on your bicycles and suddenly you realize that something isn't quite right with your bike. Maybe you have a flat, or maybe you just realized the color isn't really working for you. Where should you stop and park up while you guys stand around poking at it and scratching your heads?

(A) The sidewalk ten feet to your right

(B) The empty parking lot a hundred feet away

(C) In the middle of the right lane of a 45MPH highway, behind a blind curve.

If you answered (A) or (B), congratulations, you just might live long enough to have children and thus fulfill your evolutionary purpose. If you answered (C), congratulations, you qualify to live in Cobb County! :toot:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

B4Ctom1 posted:

^^^^ JFC! ^^^^

Different kind of motorcycle video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJTXLuu7_0Y

What is up with the stabilization in this video? Is it something youtube has started doing recently because I've seen a handful of videos lately where stuff distorts kind of like rolling shutter, but it's not. It just looks really drat weird.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

xzzy posted:

What is up with the stabilization in this video? Is it something youtube has started doing recently because I've seen a handful of videos lately where stuff distorts kind of like rolling shutter, but it's not. It just looks really drat weird.

YouTube has had auto stabilization for about a year now. It hasn't gotten any better either.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I saw a motorcyclist launch at high speed from a set of lights downtown, rapidly approach the next light, and, going well above the speed limit, use the right-turn only lane to shoot into the bus stop on the other side of the intersection (the light was green, but traffic was still getting started) and presumably cut someone off at that point.

I mean, I don't doubt that a lot of motorcyclists are killed or injured because of someone else's negligence, but I'm guessing an equal or greater number die because they're loving retarded.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

PT6A posted:

I saw a motorcyclist launch at high speed from a set of lights downtown, rapidly approach the next light, and, going well above the speed limit, use the right-turn only lane to shoot into the bus stop on the other side of the intersection (the light was green, but traffic was still getting started) and presumably cut someone off at that point.

I mean, I don't doubt that a lot of motorcyclists are killed or injured because of someone else's negligence, but I'm guessing an equal or greater number die because they're loving retarded.

Look up motorcycle crash compilation on youtube sometime. Motorcyclists are people, just like car drivers. Lots of people are stupid.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

PT6A posted:

As much as riders like to complain about distracted drivers, the majority of crashes are single vehicle with at least one bit being the fault of the rider.

Watching the No Prisoners compilations it is generally lack of skill, like locking the front when panic braking where they had plenty of time to stop, or many just blow turns cause they out ride their skill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzqsGJXcLJc

nsaP fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jul 21, 2015

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Shouldn't have been riding on the wrong side of the road :colbert: :britain:

The lady is awesome :3:

spog
Aug 7, 2004

PT6A posted:

I seriously consider buying a bike about every three months. As I am old and dull, I can remove the 'young, dumb and full of cum' attitude, so perhaps it's not going to be that dangerous now.

Then I

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Look up motorcycle crash compilation on youtube.
and it reminds me just how unforgiving it is: a small mistake by me or someone else and it's going to be a 'flying through the air' accident (as opposed to a bit of tyre squealing) and that the result isn't going to be a new bumper, it's a hospital stay.

Also, instead of everyone driving unsafe cars whilst drunk, they drive while texting/talking on the phone.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-33570707
:stonk:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

The bus blocking the entire freeway to make his illegal turn is nice. I also like how many turn on their hazards, as if that makes it all cool.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Meanwhile, in Gloucester: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-gloucestershire-33608816

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Saw a strange thing today. As I was going down the highway a van goes cruising by me in the left lane with its break lights lighting up for about half a second every 2 seconds. It never seemed to slow down at all and was keeping at about 80. What the hell? Could some faulty wiring do that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

I'm pretty impressed with that, honestly. Sure it's dangerous as gently caress, but still, this person had a plan and stuck with it to the bitter end.