Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

GreyPowerVan posted:

Does anyone have advice for cooking black beans and also Great Northern beans? I've tried cooking both and they turned out loving awful each time.

I like adding carrots or onions to beans part way through cooking. I really like the natural extra sweetness they bring. But really, the littlest prince has the right of it, you should specify what about your beans you didn't like. Otherwise :shrug: (add salt)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Nothing you cook at home can ever turn out bad as long as you have butter.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

GreyPowerVan posted:

Does anyone have advice for cooking black beans and also Great Northern beans? I've tried cooking both and they turned out loving awful each time.

Cook them with a bunch of fatty smoked pork, like ham hocks or bacon.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

exquisite tea posted:

Nothing you cook at home can ever turn out bad as long as you have butter.

That would make a very different miso soup

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I don't know, they tasted kind of bland I guess but I couldn't figure out how to make it taste better with the spices I had so I just trashed them.

I could try adding some bacon next time, that would probably help.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Thinking about adding a wok to the list of cookware I have. What are the pros/cons between carbon steel and cast iron for a wok, and which would probably be the better all-purpose way to go, keeping in mind that the carbon steel ones are also a bit cheaper.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Zerilan posted:

Thinking about adding a wok to the list of cookware I have. What are the pros/cons between carbon steel and cast iron for a wok, and which would probably be the better all-purpose way to go, keeping in mind that the carbon steel ones are also a bit cheaper.
I'd not get a cast iron wok.

You want a wok that just...fuckin' sucks at heat retention. Quick to heat up and heats up evenly. You want it cheap, but sturdy. I'd go carbon steel, at least 14 gauge. Thick enough not to bend when you squeeze the edges together.

Treat it well and it'll be just as non stick as you could get. If you're going to pay more than 20 or 30 bucks for a 12-14 inch one you're wasting your money. You could probably be fine with a flat-bottom one, unless you want to buy one of those cuppy things to hold a round one over your stovetop. Be sure to season it before you cook for the first time. The manufacturer's season isn't good at all - I think it's more a food grade rust preventative than a non-stick season.

Save your cast iron material for where it's best suited, a dutch oven or heavy skillet.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jul 16, 2015

KWC
Jul 5, 2007
Hello
http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2014/12/11/369675821/kalettes-broccoflower-and-other-eye-popping-vegetables-for-2015

Kalettes. Has anyone tried these? I haven't seen them in any markets (Cleveland) but I just had a dish of sausage stuffed with truffle over braised kalettes. It was outstanding. Flavor was very much like a Brussels sprout kale combination. Nice cabbage Brussels like background with a bitter kale note. A texture more like kale in the leaves and Brussels at the base. I would definitely recommend trying them if you can find them.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

KWC posted:

http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2014/12/11/369675821/kalettes-broccoflower-and-other-eye-popping-vegetables-for-2015

Kalettes. Has anyone tried these? I haven't seen them in any markets (Cleveland) but I just had a dish of sausage stuffed with truffle over braised kalettes. It was outstanding. Flavor was very much like a Brussels sprout kale combination. Nice cabbage Brussels like background with a bitter kale note. A texture more like kale in the leaves and Brussels at the base. I would definitely recommend trying them if you can find them.

I saw some pop up this spring but they wanted like $5 /lb for them. gently caress that noise.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

KWC posted:

OMG, GMOs!

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

That Works posted:

I've got a ton of zucchini and yellow squash out of the garden and have a big party this weekend. Any recipe ideas besides the standard roasted or ratatouille?

Slice a bunch of coins (thinner the better, food processor/mandoline if you have one) and sautee them in a liberal amount of butter and a fuckload of basil (seriously, a lot). Serve hot. Some shredded aged Gruyere is nice on top.

If you also have a ton of tomatoes, throw in thick tomato slices (until it's about half and half tomato/zucchini) and a bunch of sweet or smoked paprika. Since it's for guests, it might be worth peeling or blanching the skins off the tomatoes.

Dangphat
Nov 15, 2011

That Works posted:

I've got a ton of zucchini and yellow squash out of the garden and have a big party this weekend. Any recipe ideas besides the standard roasted or ratatouille?

Have u got the zucchini flowers still, as they taste amazing stuffed and deep fried: https://www.rivercottage.net/recipes/deep-fried-courgette-flowers

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I've got a bunch of fennel bulbs that I need to use up, can I braise them like leeks?

Lefty Lugubrious
Apr 30, 2006

I'm making Grilled Green Chicken next week for my family and the marinade calls for 1 cup packed cilantro leaves and stems, 1 ¼ cups packed basil leaves, and ¼ cup packed mint leaves. I really, really hate cilantro. If it were a garnish, I would just substitute flat leaf parsley and not think twice about it, but I'm wondering if I should use something else since it's for a marinade, and if so, what should I use? Should I maybe do a combo of more basil mixed with parsley in place of the cilantro?

This is the full recipe:

1 medium sweet onion, peeled and coarsely chopped (about 1 cup)
1 cup packed cilantro leaves and stems
1 ¼ cups packed basil leaves
¼ cup packed mint leaves
4 tablespoons of Red Boat fish sauce
3 peeled garlic cloves
zest of 1 lime
plenty ground black pepper
1 teaspoon of Aleppo pepper
2 tablespoons of apple juice
Kosher salt
3 pounds of chicken drumsticks or thighs

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Squashy Nipples posted:

Six years. I've only had this screename for six years.

I don't take a lot of pictures, so I've saved every one of them on my HD.

I got mine in the same thread!

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Lefty Lugubrious posted:

I'm making Grilled Green Chicken next week for my family and the marinade calls for 1 cup packed cilantro leaves and stems, 1 ¼ cups packed basil leaves, and ¼ cup packed mint leaves. I really, really hate cilantro. If it were a garnish, I would just substitute flat leaf parsley and not think twice about it, but I'm wondering if I should use something else since it's for a marinade, and if so, what should I use? Should I maybe do a combo of more basil mixed with parsley in place of the cilantro?

This is the full recipe:

1 medium sweet onion, peeled and coarsely chopped (about 1 cup)
1 cup packed cilantro leaves and stems
1 ¼ cups packed basil leaves
¼ cup packed mint leaves
4 tablespoons of Red Boat fish sauce
3 peeled garlic cloves
zest of 1 lime
plenty ground black pepper
1 teaspoon of Aleppo pepper
2 tablespoons of apple juice
Kosher salt
3 pounds of chicken drumsticks or thighs

The cilantro looks like a pretty key flavor component and is half of green things in your green chicken. If you don't like it you'd probably be better served making something else. It's ok not to like everything.

If you want go more Italian-y skip the lime, fish sauce and mint too and do basil garlic parsley onion red chili flake and lemon. It will still turn out green.

Alternatively you may find that when mixed with other flavors and then cooked you can find a place in your heart for cilantro...

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
What? that seems like a pretty good spread of flavores even without the cilantro.

Lefty Lugubrious
Apr 30, 2006

Drifter posted:

What? that seems like a pretty good spread of flavores even without the cilantro.

Yeah, I agree. That's why I want to try and make it anyway. It's not the green I care about as much as all the flavors (sans cilantro).

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
If I had broken taste buds and hated cilantro I'd probably just go with flat leaf parsley to try it.

Lefty Lugubrious
Apr 30, 2006

Genetics, man. It tastes like soap to me. :( I'll just use parsley.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006
It's a lot of strong flavors, but they're all working together to create a harmonious dish. Replacing half the herbs with something else will throw the balance off. Using basil or parsley will just make it taste like fishy Italian chicken.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Trying to make breakfast for my hungover self and gf, who has an tasty but not too complicated gravy recipe for biscuits?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Just add 2 cups of milk over a roux made of 2 tbs flour and butter (each) add pepper

It's better if you have sausage and use the drippings but I mean it's the most basic gravy.

It's better if you use some cream instead of all milk too. Or add some onion. Or a zillion other spices. But you said simple.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

goodness posted:

Trying to make breakfast for my hungover self and gf, who has an tasty but not too complicated gravy recipe for biscuits?
Flour milk/cream and salt/pepper/spice and sausages. Put the broken up sausages back into the gravy before you pour it over biscuits.
http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2007/09/biscuits_and_gr/

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My method:

Cook a pound of sausage in pan. Drain off any grease that you can pour off. Sprinkle 6 tbsp tbsp flour over the sausage. Cook it for a couple minutes making sure not to burn the flour. The grease on the surface of the sausage should be enough fat. Dump in 3 cups milk. Bring to boil while stirring. Add a shitload of pepper (maybe do this before the milk, whatever). Season to taste. Thin with milk if necessary.

If you want it meatier flavored add some Better than Bouillon (or even a crushed bouillon cube when you add the flour).

Remember, your grandma did this without a recipe and it was awesome.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Umm...I hate to break it to you but unless she's the Jackson Pollack of cooking or cooked in the middle of grand mal seizures, she probably used a recipe, even if it was hers...

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Drifter posted:

the Jackson Pollack of cooking

This is inspiring a ton of interesting visuals in my head right now.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

exquisite tea posted:

I've got a bunch of fennel bulbs that I need to use up, can I braise them like leeks?

Yes, or like celery.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Drifter posted:

Umm...I hate to break it to you but unless she's the Jackson Pollack of cooking or cooked in the middle of grand mal seizures, she probably used a recipe, even if it was hers...

"From memory" is not a recipe. Same way she did cornbread and biscuits and what not.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah if you're going from memory and not measuring anything that's not a recipe.

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

My grandma made her sausage gravy without a recipe.

It was awful, much like everything else she cooked. Seriously, just god awful. Thin, lots of little clumps of uncooked flour. Just barf.

That said, yeah, it's sausage gravy. If you have a cookist bone in your body, you can pull it off. The biscuits are the hard part.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Biscuits are dead easy. Just make Smitten Kitchen's cream biscuits and there's no cutting or delicate maneuvering - just don't overmix.

As far as gravy goes, cook up some sausage, make a roux with that fat, supplemented with bacon grease or lard if you want more (though I find that using the sausage's fat ensures the perfect ratio of meat to sauce), add milk and loads of black pepper, add the meat back, and you're done.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

Lefty Lugubrious posted:

Genetics, man. It tastes like soap to me. :( I'll just use parsley.

I wonder if ground corriander gets around the soapy flavor thing?

teh winnar!
Apr 16, 2003

THE MACHO MAN posted:

I wonder if ground corriander gets around the soapy flavor thing?

To me it doesn't, much to my disappointment.

Lefty Lugubrious
Apr 30, 2006

teh winnar! posted:

To me it doesn't, much to my disappointment.

Do you find it's not as bad when it's cooked?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

So what kind of potatoes are good for making potato salad?

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

So what kind of potatoes are good for making potato salad?

Any kind really but if you want to make sure it doesn't turn into glue buy a more-waxy variety. Fingerlings or golds come to mind.

E: fingerlings would be a pain in the rear end to use if you don't like skins

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Number 1 Sexy Dad posted:

Any kind really but if you want to make sure it doesn't turn into glue buy a more-waxy variety. Fingerlings or golds come to mind.

E: fingerlings would be a pain in the rear end to use if you don't like skins

Not necessarily. You could parboil them, then the skins would come off easy just peeling by hand after they've cooled a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Bought some small red potatoes. Hope those will work.