Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OSad
Feb 29, 2012
Now instead of the Arkansas Beta, it would've been a nice gift to closed beta testers if we could've kept all those extra slots.

Not that the Arkansas Beta is bad or anything, but it sure needs a lot of blinging out to come into its own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
So are people who play in beta going to get any goodies when the game goes live?

What did the people who were in the World of Tanks beta get?

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Well, I've finally gotten my first Clear Skies award since the open beta started. In a fighterless Zuiho :smug:.

Besides the fact that the two Langleys repeatedly sent their torpedo bombers at me, to a success rate of I think one hit all game, they also kept letting me bait their fighters over me as well. Admittedly them doing so disrupted my own runs a bit due to having to make sure they didn't get a clean run on me, but I think I did decently all told.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Panfilo posted:

So are people who play in beta going to get any goodies when the game goes live?

A pretty useless tank.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Panfilo posted:

The M4A2E4, a tank that's almost never seen despite it having fixed MM because there are so much better options available.

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Tank:M4A2E4

The Russians got this: http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Tank:KV-220

...something we have to pay $30-50 to get.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I could've sworn we kept them. Oh well.

If you used a Murmansk code you got 5 (?) slots along with the other items. At least when they rewarded the Murmansk code I got a bunch of slots.

Michi88
Sep 15, 2012

Still a Pubbie Magnet
How does it work!?
:livintrope:
So I'm doing only so so with the Colorado playing it like i did my new mexico, as a sniper. Is there a better way to play this thing? I'm kinda at a loss at how to do as good in it as i did the past 2 BBs.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

Dustoph posted:

I'm also really bad with torps on the Isokaze. I try to hang out at a distance to not be spotted, but gently caress if I can land torps on anything from that range. Any of my kills have just been lucky ones that I shoot around corners and kill someone I never saw in the first place. Hopefully unlocking the faster torps will help, as the guns are so slow I can't shoot anything without getting blown the gently caress up from return fire, and I pretty much always get raped when I try to close in on anyone. And then if there are planes over head I feel pretty useless because everyone focuses on me if I'm any where near torp range.

Yeah, so I just figured out that you can have the game tell you where to lead your torps. This is a good thing for a bad like me and I'm quickly bringing my 250xp average up on the Isokaze.

I've also started not rushing in at the start, pretending this is NavyField in a Kitakami, and looking at the map to find areas I can attack that looks weak based on where my team is. I always get suckered in these types of games to squeeze out that last salvo for that extra 50 xp, when I should be running the gently caress away so I can keep fighting later and hopefully get plenty more shots.

Loan Dusty Road fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Jul 17, 2015

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Dustoph posted:

Yeah, so I just figured out that you can have the game tell you where to lead your torps. This is a good thing for a bad like me and I'm quickly bringing my 250xp average up on the Isokaze.

Firing guns on a Japanese DD is usually a matter of 'Oh poo poo I've been made' and less 'I'm going to attack this dude with my guns'. They have good concealment and range on the torpedoes and those don't instantly reveal you like guns do.

US DDs should bully Japanese DDs and their poo poo guns all day, though. Then torp them for good measure if they knock out the steering.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Cummander ross, reporting for duty!

:gooncamp:
I hope you carrier drivers are real proud of yourselves :mad:

Related - Kongo doesn't feel as solid to me as she used to; I think Warspite's insane turning circle has spoiled me.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
I've never played any of the War of ... games but I am interested in naval games and this seems good. Can anyone explain to me the economy of this game? Am i right to say that a F2P player can start with a crap ship (Tier 1?) and then by playing the game gains XP and can level up to Tier 2, and then automatically gain a new ship? Or just gain access to be able to buy a new ship?

Also it seems that you can upgrade your Tier 1 ship and even crew...does that mean in some cases a Tier 1 ship can compete with a Tier 10? Aside from economic reasons, is there any point in using a Tier one if you also have a higher tier?

I play Heroes of the Storm (Blizzard MOBA) if you want to make any comparisons to that (and have no problems justifying spending real money on a game I like).

Neferreth
Feb 21, 2011

kaesarsosei posted:

I've never played any of the War of ... games but I am interested in naval games and this seems good. Can anyone explain to me the economy of this game? Am i right to say that a F2P player can start with a crap ship (Tier 1?) and then by playing the game gains XP and can level up to Tier 2, and then automatically gain a new ship? Or just gain access to be able to buy a new ship?

Also it seems that you can upgrade your Tier 1 ship and even crew...does that mean in some cases a Tier 1 ship can compete with a Tier 10? Aside from economic reasons, is there any point in using a Tier one if you also have a higher tier?

I play Heroes of the Storm (Blizzard MOBA) if you want to make any comparisons to that (and have no problems justifying spending real money on a game I like).

Every player starts with a couple of T1 ships and unlocks higher tiers by playing. For the people who buy premium, this proces goes about 50% faster. However, ships are matched around their tier. It's unusual that you'd be matched in battle against ships more than 2 tiers higher or lower.

In comparison to World of Tanks, lower tier ships have an easier time competing with higher tier ships. Speed and healthpool are an issue, but you don't have the bouncing shots issue from world of tanks.

People who invest real money in the game also have an easier time getting upgrades for ships. However these upgrades aren't game-breaking.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

The way it works is that each ship you own has an XP it can gain: this is either used to upgrade your existing ship (although the upgrades are limited) and can be used as well to unlock the next ship of a higher tier. As well as that, there are branches to other classes of ships that you can unlock as well. So, for example, you start with a Tier I cruiser for a particular country, and from it you can unlock the Tier II cruiser for that country. The Tier II cruiser can then be used to unlock the Tier III cruiser or the Tier II destroyer etc.

As well as XP, you also get credits. Unlocking a ship with XP doesn't actually place it in your port, so you have to spend credits to actually buy the ship once you have unlocked it. You also use credits to buy upgrades for your ship that you unlocked using XP, as well as adding modules (which are basically modifiers to the ship that improve the accuracy of the guns, make it accelerate faster etc).

You can't really upgrade crew at the moment. You can upgrade your captain, he gains XP as well which can be used to gain skills to improve your ship as well. A Tier I ship will always get absolutely destroyed by a Tier X ship. There is still a point in using low tier ships since the matchmaking will attempt to place you in matches with equal tiers and sometimes lower tier games are much more fun than higher tier games.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

kaesarsosei posted:

A tier 1 boat will probably only ever see tier 1 and 2 boats and you can play away at that level forever if you want. When you get enough experience in a boat you unlock the ability to buy the next boat up, or in some instances in a different tree. Everyone starts with a Cruiser and at Tier 2 you can unlock a Tier 3 cruiser or a Tier 2 Destroyer. Your Tier 3 cruiser can unlock a tier 4 cruiser or Tier 3 Battleship etc. You can can then choose to buy the new boat if you have space in your port or just keep on trucking in your current boat though it will never really get any better, you can sell boats you don't want anymore to make more space in your port.

People often find a boat or tier they really like playing and might keep that boat for fun games even though they're well past it in the tech tree.

Being premium is good if you really want to push through from tiers to get higher tier boats, the other thing you might want to spend money on is more slots in your port so you can have more boats.

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

I just had an utterly amazing game in my NY - but right as the battle ended I got booted to the login screen. I'll never know my postgame stats :< I had like, 8 citadels on various T4/5 battleships, and it was my 1.5 AND I was running a Confederate. :shlick:

There was a t5 Japanese carrier on the enemy team too, and he came after me first thing - I only ended up taking maybe two torpedoes out of a coordinated 3-way attack. :hellyeah:

TehKeen fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Jul 17, 2015

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

to Accursed 2 leave armour
the other thing to take into account is WG's intentional paradigm where past a certain tier, repair and consumable costs will outpace what most people make in an average game. The better a player you are the higher you can reach without this being an issue. In tanks it's tier 8 for most people, dunno what it is in boats but the jump from tier 4 to tier 5 battleships from 5 ish to 17.5k is very noticable without a similar increase in profitability.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I can really recommend the secondary gun range flags on the Warspite, I had a game earlier where I put on every flag I could and went brawling, 13k secondary damage, killing blows on an Omaha and two lovely DDs with the. You should have seen that Omaha panic when those secondaries opened fire.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

PirateBob posted:

If I have a WOT EU account and a WOWS NA account using the same email address, can I activate premium in WOT and get it in WOWS?

I'm still wondering about this... does unified premium work across regions/servers and across usernames as long as the email address is the same?

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Also, look up Youtube videos for the Langley and Hosho and filter by 'last month or newer' on Youtube. There's nothing more disheartening to see "oh, our side has the only carrier" in a T3-T4 fight and then hear something to the effect of "hey guys how do I carrier :downs:."
Thanks, I was just about to ask that question here and wasn't sure what was the best resource for finding stuff.

If they could add the function to rotate the drop point by scrolling the mousewheel while holding alt to get a more precise torpedo run it would be such a better experience. Clicking and then having to quickly grab a hold of the spin button is a hassle when you have less than 2 seconds to drop before they all are shot down. And also it would be fantastic if War Thunder would just go ahead and add ships to their game already, I forgot how much I hate the World of Tanks style unlocking and healthbars ughhhh

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Just had a Phoenix try and torp my SC while not even firing its guns. :allears:

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
Did they really do World of Spaceships?

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

SquadronROE posted:

Yep! It was pretty neat. They took ship models from the usual anime suspects (Space Battleship Yamato, Arpeggio, that poi thing, etc) and let you drive them around in a big blue grid in space with asteroids as terrain instead of islands. Your guys shot bolts of plasma instead of shells, etc. Pretty nicely done.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

Kesper North posted:

Yep! It was pretty neat. They took ship models from the usual anime suspects (Space Battleship Yamato, Arpeggio, that poi thing, etc) and let you drive them around in a big blue grid in space with asteroids as terrain instead of islands. Your guys shot bolts of plasma instead of shells, etc. Pretty nicely done.

Nice! April Fool's joke?

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Sigh, some pubbies are just too heavy to carry.

Would have been my daily, too. :(

Magni fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jul 17, 2015

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

SquadronROE posted:

Yes.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
My favorite was the Enterprice carrier. It had a destroyer bolted to each side for engines.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGdgdmd8UuU This video shows the port icon. I didn't bother watching past that, but it may have more.

OSad
Feb 29, 2012

rossmum posted:

Related - Kongo doesn't feel as solid to me as she used to; I think Warspite's insane turning circle has spoiled me.

I had this impression too, but I thought that the Kongo was actually stealth-nerfed. It felt like she accelerated slower and wasn't as durable as she was in the CBT.

Of course, I have no evidence to back this up other than my weird reverse-placebo feeling. She's still a powerhouse, she just feels a wee bit slower now.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
IIRC, all battleships have had their accelleration and braking somewhat slowed down in 0.4.

In other news: Another day on the EU forums. Can't decide wether :magical: or :ughh: is more appropriate.

Magni fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jul 17, 2015

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

Magni posted:

IIRC, all battleships have had their accelleration and braking somewhat slowed down in 0.4.

In other news: Another day on the EU forums. Can't decide wether :magical: or :ughh: is more appropriate.

Made me chuckle.

TwatHammer
Sep 29, 2014

Magni posted:

Jesus christ that thread

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

The best part about playing battleships is having 30 seconds after every salvo to relentlessly bollock the other team.

e: I think I've settled back into things with Kongo. Best quality Vickers shipbuilding :britain:

rossmum fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jul 17, 2015

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Should I bother upgrading the guns on my phoenix or just blitz to t5? +2.8 rounds/s and +100 damage hardly seems worth it

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Should I bother upgrading the guns on my phoenix or just blitz to t5? +2.8 rounds/s and +100 damage hardly seems worth it

Is a 43% increase in rate of fire worth 1400 xp to you?

(The answer is yes)

Krataar
Sep 13, 2011

Drums in the deep

So after testing the "Brawler" setup in a battleship. When it works its amazing. My main gripe is never hitting what im aiming at, but point blank citadel's and magazine shots are great. Downside, wait for the destroyers to all be dead.

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Get it, the Phoenix is awesome. Fully upgraded it's on par with the St. Louis for me, just stay waaaaay back then do charges at people firing drat near full broadsides (the guns have a great traverse arc), then when you get too close burn a turn and do the same thing running away. The trick is to always be going almost directly at, or directly away from people. Don't get baited into turning broadsides, you have almost no armor. If you're going directly at or away though it's amazing how much you can dodge while still pouring on the fire. It's seriously one of my most fun ships so far.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

JacksLibido posted:

Get it, the Phoenix is awesome. Fully upgraded it's on par with the St. Louis for me, just stay waaaaay back then do charges at people firing drat near full broadsides (the guns have a great traverse arc), then when you get too close burn a turn and do the same thing running away. The trick is to always be going almost directly at, or directly away from people. Don't get baited into turning broadsides, you have almost no armor. If you're going directly at or away though it's amazing how much you can dodge while still pouring on the fire. It's seriously one of my most fun ships so far.

That explains why I hate it. I've just been broadside trading and torping when I can.

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

to Accursed 2 leave armour

JacksLibido posted:

just be mindful that unlike the st. louis you're extremely easy to citadel in a phoenix.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Phoenixes should be angled as far as their broadside can be turned or pointing their stern/bow at the enemy and weaving to fire both sides as they go.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

JacksLibido posted:

Agreed - fully upgrade the Phoenix. With the guns, third hull, and fire control system, you can easily outrange and kite a lot of tier III boats that will either be unable to target you, or suffer from extremely poor accuracy at their max range while you plink away at them. And the third hull is the first thing in the USN Cruiser line that can actually shoot down planes with some efficacy. Unfortunately AA range is only short enough that the planes usually have to be attacking you or passing right overhead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

yaay posted:

just be mindful that unlike the st. louis you're extremely easy to citadel in a phoenix.

It took me two games to learn this and I am certain those pubby Cruiser drivers were very pleased with all their Citadel Hit awards in that time.