Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

All used dslrs bar one advertised in Brisbane have been sold already and were owned by angry Asian women who blame you for calling to ask about the ad they haven't taken down. Why is this so hard I just wanna throw my money at people and they won't take it.

I got lucky on Gumtree a few months ago, someone advertised a Tamron 17-40 2.8 and a 70-300 Fwhatever for $200 for both. I rang that fucker up and said I would be there with cash as soon as its convenient for them.

just keep looking, try facebook groups since it seems thats the way all classifieds/forum sales are going these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

My first camera was a rebel XSi that I bought at a pawn shop for $200 with kit lens in 2013. My intention at the time was to use it for wildlife photography so I added a 55-250 EFS (open box return discount at Target ~50% off retail). I had friends who also let me borrow their canon lenses, and that was the main reason I ultimately went with the brand.

I cut my teeth on this setup for a year, and it did everything I needed except keep up as well as I would have liked in low light. But I think if I had been planning on getting into more portrait, landscape and "art" photography I would have found it to be much more limiting. Now that I have better gear (a new mirrorless APS Sony and an older FF Canon) I am really starting to branch out into stuff besides animals and birds, and sometimes I'm even not entirely disgusted with the results I get.

I guess the point of all this is that canon crop bodies are... Ok? Sometimes?

... Not really. I wish now I'd gone with Nikon; none of my friends' lenses were all that great. But I still like the 'look' of photos taken with Canon bodies - the colors, especially. And I think a lot of the bird pictures I took with the XSi still hold up very well.

EDIT: On a different topic:

I just did a little bit of portrait work with my 5Dmkii + 100mm lens, and one of the better shots (in terms of subject expression) was just a bit too dark, so I increased the exposure by a value of about .6 in Lightroom. When I did so, I ran into this artifact. It's kind of like banding and noise in the shadows. It tends to happen when bringing up the exposure in a photo taken at <ISO500. I've seen it before, but it was really pronounced in this case.

Just to be sure, this is just something that you have to live with on the 5Dmkii, right? Either have to ETTR more consistently or fix it in PS/LR, I guess.

SMERSH Mouth fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jul 17, 2015

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

That's just canon's watermark that they add to all their sensors.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I tend to see that in my shadows when I shoot @100 ISO with my 550d.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I got my old 30D on ebay Australia.

edit: man, the fact that I haven't lived in Australia since 2011 makes me realize just how old it is now.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

SMERSH Mouth posted:

My first camera was a rebel XSi that I bought at a pawn shop for $200 with kit lens in 2013. My intention at the time was to use it for wildlife photography so I added a 55-250 EFS (open box return discount at Target ~50% off retail). I had friends who also let me borrow their canon lenses, and that was the main reason I ultimately went with the brand.

I cut my teeth on this setup for a year, and it did everything I needed except keep up as well as I would have liked in low light. But I think if I had been planning on getting into more portrait, landscape and "art" photography I would have found it to be much more limiting. Now that I have better gear (a new mirrorless APS Sony and an older FF Canon) I am really starting to branch out into stuff besides animals and birds, and sometimes I'm even not entirely disgusted with the results I get.

I guess the point of all this is that canon crop bodies are... Ok? Sometimes?

... Not really. I wish now I'd gone with Nikon; none of my friends' lenses were all that great. But I still like the 'look' of photos taken with Canon bodies - the colors, especially. And I think a lot of the bird pictures I took with the XSi still hold up very well.

EDIT: On a different topic:

I just did a little bit of portrait work with my 5Dmkii + 100mm lens, and one of the better shots (in terms of subject expression) was just a bit too dark, so I increased the exposure by a value of about .6 in Lightroom. When I did so, I ran into this artifact. It's kind of like banding and noise in the shadows. It tends to happen when bringing up the exposure in a photo taken at <ISO500. I've seen it before, but it was really pronounced in this case.

Just to be sure, this is just something that you have to live with on the 5Dmkii, right? Either have to ETTR more consistently or fix it in PS/LR, I guess.

Yeah this is what happens when you push the shadows on the Canon sensors up to and including the 18MP Rebels & 5d3 (obviously you have to push the 5d3 harder, but it's still there)

The latest APS-C sensors don't do the banding anymore (the 20/24MP ones) and neither does the 6D/5DS/5DSR. They are still way noisier than Toshiba & Sony, but it's not fixed pattern noise like this.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
How good is the automatic sensor cleaning on the 5d mk 2?

I have a 5d classic and love it, but I'm thinking of upgrading if I get this much better paying job I'm interviewing for. My main gripe with the classic tends to get dusty, and I also wouldn't mind having the Live preview back.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

My first camera was a rebel Xti so I've never not had it. As far as how well it works I don't know, I guess it helps. I can however say that it doesn't eliminate sensor dust. You'll still have issues, my guess is just not as many.

Best thing to do is clean it yourself with a kit like this. It's really not that hard. Just remember you're not actually cleaning the sensor, you're cleaning a piece of glass that's in front of the sensor. Also make sure you do it in a place that's as clean as possible.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
Oh yeah I definitely have a sensor cleaning kit like what you linked to. I just never seemed to have the dirty sensor problem on my t3i like I do on my 5D, maybe I'm just unlucky.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

triplexpac posted:

Oh yeah I definitely have a sensor cleaning kit like what you linked to. I just never seemed to have the dirty sensor problem on my t3i like I do on my 5D, maybe I'm just unlucky.

Nah, it does help a lot. My 10D used to get filthy, not so much anymore.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

One place where DSLRs still beat mirrorless is in sensor protection. My 5D2 is loving impervious to dust compared to my a6000, which picks up dust faster than a goddamn swiffer sweeper. Having a mirror helps a lot. So does automatic sensor cleaning every time you power it off.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

Dumping all my Canon gear in the BST thread! Including:

Canon 5d Mark III
24-70mm f/2.8L II
85mm f/1.8
35mm f/2 IS

mrlego
Feb 14, 2007

I do not avoid women, but I do deny them my essence.

Mest0r posted:

Dumping all my Canon gear in the BST thread! Including:

Canon 5d Mark III
24-70mm f/2.8L II
85mm f/1.8
35mm f/2 IS

Prices James!

mes
Apr 28, 2006

mrlego posted:

Prices James!

BST post with prices here!
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3125105&pagenumber=221#post447880183

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I got a 600d yesterday and played around with it a bit today. I'm very impressed with it, although I'm a little disappointed in how little zoom the kit lens has. I can see myself getting a zoom lens in the future but for now I guess I'll play around with the EFS lenses my mate has. Decently cheaper than a new 1200d would have been and I've learned that apparently the 1XXXd range has a shutter rated for ~half the shots the XXXD series has. It belonged to a highschool student who bought it new 8 months ago because he was going to Japan with his family, and was going to do film and tv at school, but dropped out of it so it was barely used.

What software do I download so I can convert CR2s to a usable format until I can sort out stealing my friends lightroom? The CD that came with the camera has no software on it, just PDFs.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Jul 18, 2015

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

I got a 600d yesterday and played around with it a bit today. I'm very impressed with it, although I'm a little disappointed in how little zoom the kit lens has. I can see myself getting a zoom lens in the future but for now I guess I'll play around with the EFS lenses my mate has. Decently cheaper than a new 1200d would have been and I've learned that apparently the 1XXXd range has a shutter rated for ~half the shots the XXXD series has. It belonged to a highschool student who bought it new 8 months ago because he was going to Japan with his family, and was going to do film and tv at school, but dropped out of it so it was barely used.

What software do I download so I can convert CR2s to a usable format until I can sort out stealing my friends lightroom? The CD that came with the camera has no software on it, just PDFs.

Basic editing software should have been included but presumably that CD went walkabouts. You can probably download it from Canon's website.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I went on canons site, clicked on the downloads thing, it downloaded a downloader than told me to plug the camera in and then it downloaded some viewer thing that says it can't edit raws. Thanks canon?

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Oh yeah, with tripods, as cheap as possible that doesn't look like its going to fall to bits 2 days from now is ok right?

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
Software-wise then, you can probably find some freeware to do it (e.g. GIMP can, probably in the least user-friendly way imaginable) or just shoot RAW + JPEG for now.

Tripods, really basic ones are fine for starters sure. Just make sure it's got a quick release mount. The more expensive ones will be sturdier so will stand up to more wind without wobbling (important if you're doing long exposure shots) and generally come without a head, so you can use the head of your choice.

As ever with photography, you could easily spend stupid money on this stuff so certainly for learning just make sure it won't fall over in a light breeze and goes high enough for your purposes.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Yeah I don't really see the point in getting the $500 tripod I found when I was looking at prices, but cheap ones look to be around 30-40 which sounds reasonable enough to me.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Cheap tripods and especially cheap ballheads will turn you loving crazy

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001
Download canon 'digital photo professional' from canons site. That's the raw converter.

Edit: actually since you don't have it already you probably need the entire solutions disk download - that has all the initial installers from the cd. Then you can download the latest update packages

timrenzi574 fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jul 18, 2015

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
I have a MeFoto Q1 and it hits the sweet spot for me of being compact but also sturdy and not super expensive. I don't do a ton of tripod shooting though.

http://www.amazon.com/MeFoto-Travel-Tripod-Titanium-A0350Q0T/dp/B00820A86Q

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Cheap tripods are fine unless you're getting into specialty type stuff, like supporting supertelephotos or going backpacking with a tripod (in which case you will pay the big bucks to shed every possible ounce of weight).

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer
I am thinking of upgrading my ancient 30D. I is still perfectly fine for most occasions, photography being just a hobby, but I am starting to hit it's limits in terms of ISO and noise.

I am thinking whether to go full frame or not.

In case I go APS-C route, I'm thinking of 7D which goes for about $600-700 for used body in good condition around here. I do not like what they did to 60D, in terms of cheaper body and removing little joystick.

But in case i go full frame, I can get 5D (with shutter count of about 15000) for around $350-400, or I can cash out more and get 5D mark II for about $800 (shutter count around 50k).

With the exception of 18-55, all my lenses are EF, so that's no issue. I'm also aware of things that come with full frame over APS-C, and will probably go that route, but I'd like to hear some other goon opinions.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Go for the 5D2 if you can, it's probably one of your best available options.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
Also take a look at the 6D. When I was looking for a backup body to my 5D3, I was looking at the 5D2 and the 6D. I ended up going to with the 6D for the newer sensor tech and the better AF system. The price was about the same -- I found a great condition 6D with grip and 2 batteries and a low shutter count for less than any 5D2 I was seeing.

The joystick is gone, which kind of sucks, but there is a multicontroller built in to the under-thumb scroll wheel that does pretty much the same thing, which is nice. The wifi/gps, video modes, screen, etc are just bonuses. I wasn't too worried about losing 1/5000, 1/6000, and 1/8000, nor was I really worried about only using SD cards. If those things are important to you, you're not going to go wrong with the 5D2, either.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
Yup, 6D don't waste time with the 5D2. While the 5D2 was/is a great camera, the 6D bests it.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

dakana posted:

Also take a look at the 6D. When I was looking for a backup body to my 5D3, I was looking at the 5D2 and the 6D. I ended up going to with the 6D for the newer sensor tech and the better AF system. The price was about the same -- I found a great condition 6D with grip and 2 batteries and a low shutter count for less than any 5D2 I was seeing.

The joystick is gone, which kind of sucks, but there is a multicontroller built in to the under-thumb scroll wheel that does pretty much the same thing, which is nice. The wifi/gps, video modes, screen, etc are just bonuses. I wasn't too worried about losing 1/5000, 1/6000, and 1/8000, nor was I really worried about only using SD cards. If those things are important to you, you're not going to go wrong with the 5D2, either.

I think the joystick loss would be a bigger deal with a more complex AF system (even on the 70D it's a bit of a chore) but with the 11pt system on the 6D it feels like nbd at all. It's a vast improvement over Canon's old system of "hit button, use both wheels to move l/r u/d" at any rate. That poo poo was a huge hassle on bodies with a lot of points.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
If you're not planning on shooting raw video I would say go with the 6D.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I got a 6D a month ago and it's been pretty fantastic so far, upgraded from a 450D. The high ISO performance is unbelievable. I've cranked it up to 6400 which would just be a mess on the 450D (if it could even go that high, I can't remember) but on the 6D you'd be amazed at how non-grainy the images are.

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for all the advice. Unfortunately, 6D still has pretty high price over 5D mk II here in Serbia, as there are not many used bodies going around, but I'll take a closer look, see if something comes up.

I'm in no rush, as I've said my old 30D is still fine for most of the stuff.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

timrenzi574 posted:

I think the joystick loss would be a bigger deal with a more complex AF system (even on the 70D it's a bit of a chore) but with the 11pt system on the 6D it feels like nbd at all. It's a vast improvement over Canon's old system of "hit button, use both wheels to move l/r u/d" at any rate. That poo poo was a huge hassle on bodies with a lot of points.

Ironically this is what I ended up preferring when I rented the 7DII. I'm not sure I used the joystick much at all.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

annapacketstormaya posted:

Ironically this is what I ended up preferring when I rented the 7DII. I'm not sure I used the joystick much at all.
Yeah, once you get used to it you don't even notice anymore. I don't miss the joystick at all, and it's certainly not something I'd consider when purchasing a new body.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

My weather-sealed 70-300 has a dead ant inside.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
What do you expect? It's weather sealed not ant sealed. Duh.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Peep my SA-MART thread, canonbros:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3733178

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Bubbacub posted:

http://petapixel.com/2015/06/10/we-found-a-fly-inside-a-weather-sealed-lens/

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Bubbacub posted:

Be glad it's not in your viewfinder, I've had that happen to two different cameras and it's annoying and gross. One of them is an old "contax" (kyocera) digital P&S that's apparently worth $300+ to crazy people but none of those people want one with a bug in it's viewfinder :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.

quote:

The takeaway message, though, is in the picture you can’t see here. We took dozens of images with the lens before taking the fly out. We shot stopped down, we shot at all parts of the zoom range. We focused close, we focused far. And in no image could we find the slightest hint that there was a fly in the lens. And you guys worry about a dust particle or two!