Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Cricket
This poll is closed.
Blackface in crowd 129 55.36%
References to Lord of the Rings 104 44.64%
Total: 233 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Is test cricket usually this calm and quiet or is it just the English crowd?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Josh Lyman posted:

Lords is pretty quiet iirc.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Didn't hit it!

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax

Burn Down Canberra posted:

Rogers can't play the short ball either so he ducks it or gets hit.

And presumably doesn't have a back that will snap in two from a stiff breeze. Clarke's been coasting on captaincy alone (and fielding I guess) for quite a while now.

edit: i'm not watching right now, but that sounded like an odd review to try.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Josh Lyman posted:

Lords doesn't let the usual motley crew of classless English oik in to watch the Cricket.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
There are also instances of people being ejected from Lords for being too noisy. Its a shitheap of a ground.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Coucho Marx posted:

And presumably doesn't have a back that will snap in two from a stiff breeze. Clarke's been coasting on captaincy alone (and fielding I guess) for quite a while now.

edit: i'm not watching right now, but that sounded like an odd review to try.

Umpires call on both, far from the dumbest review going.

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax

tarbrush posted:

Umpires call on both, far from the dumbest review going.

Yeah. Appeal sounded a bit limp on the radio, but fair enough. First review of the match, too.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Are there supposed to be commercials between overs? I'm watching on ESPN3 and haven't seen any.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:

Coucho Marx posted:

Yeah. Appeal sounded a bit limp on the radio, but fair enough. First review of the match, too.

RIP watto

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Coucho Marx posted:

It was closer than I thought live, but the review came out of nowhere since Cook didn't seem remotely interested

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
No one probably bought adverts for the cricket in America

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Josh Lyman posted:

Are there supposed to be commercials between overs? I'm watching on ESPN3 and haven't seen any.

The Australian broadcast certainly does, it's all hair loss, gambling and Ricky Ponting selling vitamin supplements every over

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

IceAgeComing posted:

No one probably bought adverts for the cricket in America
Surely a beer company could have thrown a few hundred grand.

I'm not complaining though, getting to see the change of ends.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

The gambling adverts are the best, especially the in-match bets they offer, considering the slight mess Cricket got itself into with spot fixing.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
A ship in the harbour is safe but that's not what ships are built for :itwaspoo:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Dead Goon posted:

The gambling adverts are the best, especially the in-match bets they offer, considering the slight mess Cricket got itself into with spot fixing.
Are you talking about the two IPL teams that are suspended for match fixing? I saw something about that the other day.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

Negligent posted:

A ship in the harbour is safe but that's not what ships are built for :itwaspoo:

loving hate that ad.

Good thing Lee and Warne are talking about the slope at Lords, never heard anything about that before.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
Out in the country I get ads with former nrl players trying to sell me sheds

Kaglicious
Mar 31, 2011

Josh Lyman posted:

Surely a beer company could have thrown a few hundred grand.

I'm not complaining though, getting to see the change of ends.

If you're lucky you might hear one of the commentators who left his mic on call a player on the field a oval office again.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Josh Lyman posted:

Are you talking about the two IPL teams that are suspended for match fixing? I saw something about that the other day.

That's the most recent example, yes.

Then there was the three Pakistani Cricketers, including the Captain that were banned from Cricket for match fixing - happened in 2010.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pakistan_cricket_spot-fixing_scandal

And then Cricket allows adverts from Brokers to be run during the coverage :)

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

Dead Goon posted:

I've never seen a cricket in match bet though, they all seem to talk about tennis or football

e: isn't Amir about to finish his ban? I'm usually pro-perma bans for spot fixing, but it seemed that he wasn't entirely willing and just kinda forced by his captain

IceAgeComing fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Jul 17, 2015

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

IceAgeComing posted:

I've never seen a cricket in match bet though, they all seem to talk about tennis or football

You're probably right to be fair, the last in match poo poo I saw with Cricket were the Unibet adverts with Swann and Blowers. Haven't seen those for a while but they definitely happened.

[edit] Amir was definitely the "least guilty" I felt. Such a shame he got caught up in it all because he was a really good bowler.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
Why are they pretending 2/87 is a good session for England in the context of this match position? Thy are even less likely to win now than they were at the start of the day.

Kaglicious
Mar 31, 2011

Smorgasbord posted:

Why are they pretending 2/87 is a good session for England in the context of this match position? Thy are even less likely to win now than they were at the start of the day.

"we know the davis cup and the open championship is on right now please keep watching this!!!!"

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Negligent posted:

Last year's version was bad enough but this year they added a strapline using "less" instead of "fewer" and it drives me loving barmy

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

webmeister posted:

The Australian broadcast certainly does, it's all hair loss, gambling and Ricky Ponting selling vitamin supplements every over

Don't forget the druggies from Bunnings trying to flog cheap hardware.

e: also that smug bitch demanding a commander.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Davis Cup? As if anyone gives a monkey's about that.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

It's not channel 9 that has poo poo like the "bunnings replay", right?

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Turn the drum n bass music down sky, trying to listen to the people talking.

pazrs
Mar 27, 2005

Airstream Driver posted:

e: also that smug bitch demanding a commander.

Yeah gently caress her right off!

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009

IceAgeComing posted:

Bunnings replay is Channel 10

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

IceAgeComing posted:

On their NRL coverage it's currently the "Isuzu D-Max replay".

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Kaglicious posted:

If you're lucky you might hear one of the commentators who left his mic on call a player on the field a oval office again.

What's this?

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Collateral posted:

What's this?

Strauss on KP.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Strauss called Pieterson a oval office live on air.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Lungboy posted:

Davis Cup? As if anyone gives a monkey's about that.
Ya, it's an early round match too.

The Open, however...

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Held that one across the seam, well bowled Broady.

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.
All out for 460 imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Fourth wicket! Australia will be out in time for the pitch to quicken up and bowl England out twice (after a follow on)!