Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Oh Annie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

kurona_bright posted:

:(
Well, at least we know that Anthony wasn't the one who did this to her? Not directly?

PS:
Just "Cut out half your soul" it fits better into the chorus.
My soul never bothered me anyway

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
You should know, that a soul can't be cut
no matter what blade you wield

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I like that pretty much all of us assumed it was the Coyote Tooth that cut her hair but it was just a pair of scissors. A normal pair of scissors absolutely making GBS threads on the Tooth, it'd probably rend time and space asunder if you tried to open a pack of noodles with it.

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

I still hate Anthony, and he's still responsible for this.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I had assumed the severing was Tony's idea before.
As far as we and Annie know, removing the fire spirit from Annie's body will kill her like it killed Suma.
So Annie is literally comitting suicide here, and Tony drove her to it.

IronClaymore
Jun 30, 2010

by Athanatos

SynthOrange posted:

You cant split your anger off like that and treat it like a separate entity! It's bad advice from a dog! It's as much a part of her as anything else and she's going to have to deal with it or else there's going to be dire consequences.

I hope there's dire consequences. For everyone. :getin:

Bad advice indeed, but she might have done it anyway just on instinct. Something very similar happened in Red vs Blue, and they spent four whole seasons dealing with the separated manifestation of the guy's anger. Until it got eaten by the manifestion of ambition (voiced by Elijah Wood), and they had to spend another four seasons dealing with him! But in that scenario the original soul was tortured intentionally, specifically to shatter the personality and create bite-sized fragments of emotion and power...

Oh.

Maybe that's what Anthony's doing? Does he think he can resurrect Surma if he extracts the spirit of flame from Annie? Total dick move. If Surma could not survive without the flame supporting her, then neither can Annie. She too will wither and die without it, given enough time.

(It's bad enough when one person copies themselves then tortures the copy to try and resurrect their dead wife, so bad in fact that another villain calls them out on it in terms of ethics, but to do it to your own daughter is just low.)

IronClaymore fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Jul 17, 2015

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

IronClaymore posted:

Bad advice indeed, but she might have done it anyway just on instinct. Something very similar happened in Red vs Blue, and they spent four whole seasons dealing with the separated manifestation of the guy's anger. Until it got eaten by the manifestion of ambition (voiced by Elijah Wood), and they had to spend another four seasons dealing with him! But in that scenario the original soul was tortured intentionally, specifically to shatter the personality and create bite-sized fragments of emotion and power...

I thought Red vs Blue were joke Halo videos, jesus christ.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Mraagvpeine posted:

I wonder if Annie will be able to summon her fire spirit like a Stand.

Has an emotionally-distant father who's been absent for most of her life.
Can eavesdrop on conversations from a distance and manipulate objects unseen.
Once set herself on fire to win a fight.

Annie better watch out for rainbows or poo poo could get really weird around here

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

EmmyOk posted:

Well they started out that way.

IronClaymore
Jun 30, 2010

by Athanatos

EmmyOk posted:

They developed a genuine large-scale plot after season 5. Personally I like it, but it's a different tone that can annoy people.

Gunnerkrigg Court is similar in a way. First few chapters had events and problems solved quickly, now we have all these long term issues and plots going on. Problems the protagonists are not yet capable of resolving. Again, I like it. Not everything can be solved immediately.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

IronClaymore posted:

Something very similar happened in Red vs Blue,

What the gently caress

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

tonberrytoby posted:

Within a couple of hours of their reunion. This is how ill-equipped Tony is to be a parent.

That said, what is this: the fourth time Ysengrin's done something that could kill Annie, only this might be much, much closer to successful?

maswastaken fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Jul 17, 2015

IronClaymore
Jun 30, 2010

by Athanatos
Point is, this aspect of Annie's rage cannot affect the physical world, but clearly has a target. What if it realises it can infect the minds of others, and control them? Her friends might very likely search that weird-rear end room for clues when she isn't there, providing a perfect target.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
I am wondering what further consequences this will have.

I mean, it wouldn't be immediate, but shouldn't Annie eventually start to waste away and die like this? Her mother carried on for a few years in the hospital once Annie was born. But eventually I see no difference in this forced separation and passing the spirit on through having a child.

Matlock Birthmark fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jul 17, 2015

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

tonberrytoby posted:

As far as we and Annie know, removing the fire spirit from Annie's body will kill her like it killed Suma.

What??????

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

tonberrytoby posted:

Haha, no.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

tonberrytoby posted:

This really isn't a suicide attempt, not remotely. Tony's method of return is supremely lovely but it is a bit much to put that on him.

Also it'd be gas if Tony was trying to surprise Annie in a nice way with his return like those videos of American soldiers who surprise their family when they return from a tour.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
I don't think it's a suicide attempt, and I don't think it is the result of some grand puppeteering by Tony. But that said, I think it's a little early to dismiss that this separation might eventually kill Annie.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Matlock Birthmark posted:

I don't think it's a suicide attempt, and I don't think it is the result of some grand puppeteering by Tony. But that said, I think it's a little early to dismiss that this separation might eventually kill Annie.

It definitely could eventually kill her sure but that was not her motivation or reasoning to do it, which is very different to suicide.

IronClaymore
Jun 30, 2010

by Athanatos
I'm still going for it being some obscure idea to resurrect his wife, even at the cost of his daughter. And that his entire attitude towards her, how he treats her, everything, is built towards that goal.

He's a man with a plan. But until we know what exactly his plan is, we're all being played. He has the initiative. He has the intel. He is on the attack here. And he may have spent years preparing for this, gathering allies and resources. Strategically, Annie and Kat are totally in the dark.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I hope that doesn't happen. Not because I need Tony to be a good guy but because that trope of "everything goes according to my grand convoluted plan" is awful and I think Tom is above that. Plans like Loki's or The Joker's in TDKR involve so many tiny variables going exactly the right way but are treated as if there is no other way it could have gone. Which is fine in a comicbook film but Gunnerkrigg imo is much more narratively sturdy.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

I'm getting more of a corpus callosotomy vibe than actual amputation from what we've seen, to be honest. Both Annie and FireAnnie still exist and thus far seem physically fine, but neither can directly influence the other anymore (though FireAnnie seems to have gotten the raw end of the deal and can't influence the physical world, either). It'll probably still have consequences, but outright wasting away and death aren't the first ones that come to my mind.

Granted, I don't actually know how much time has past and things could get worse quickly, or I could be totally wrong.

Also, I really don't want this to be a Tony manipulation because everything and everyone seems to be denying Annie agency lately and more of that would suck. This still probably sucks, but in a different and interesting way.

IronClaymore
Jun 30, 2010

by Athanatos
No, you're right, Tony is above that. I don't think this is a convoluted plan. I feel that he's arranged things so that he has a grand ideal, but is pragmatic. Overall, he has a central idea, a goal, maybe bringing Surma back maybe something else, but not convoluted and with no moral dimension. So I'm trying to think of him as an anti-Joker, a guy with a plan...

If whatever the hell he's doing now fails he'll kidnap her. That's the vibe I'm getting.

If he really doesn't care about anything else he'll burn whatever contacts he has with the Court to get her isolated.

IronClaymore fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jul 17, 2015

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

IronClaymore posted:

No, you're right, Tony is above that. I don't think this is a convoluted plan. I feel that he's arranged things so that he has a grand ideal, but is pragmatic. Overall, he has a central idea, a goal, maybe bringing Surma back maybe something else, but not convoluted and with no moral dimension. So I'm trying to think of him as an anti-Joker, a guy with a plan...

If whatever the hell he's doing now fails he'll kidnap her. That's the vibe I'm getting.

If he really doesn't care about anything else he'll burn whatever contacts he has with the Court to get her isolated.

I don't know. He seems like a details-oriented guy. I just think that if he does have a long-term convoluted plan it won't involve other people, just other technologies and resources.

IronClaymore
Jun 30, 2010

by Athanatos

Dienes posted:

I don't know. He seems like a details-oriented guy. I just think that if he does have a long-term convoluted plan it won't involve other people, just other technologies and resources.

It would have to involve other people, especially if they have the ability to obstruct his plans. His dinner with Kat's parents for example, that wasn't politeness or anything, he was gauging their willingness to help him in another seemingly harmless thing, and as intel on how the Court in general views him and as a gauge in how far he can still push them for help. Really, his plot will involve other people, but it will treat them as mere resources. (Who knows what the MicroSatellite was really used for???)

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

So he calculated that his return would cause any to sever the elemental? There's no way he could have knew that is what she would do and if he did then that is silly writing.

IronClaymore
Jun 30, 2010

by Athanatos

EmmyOk posted:

So he calculated that his return would cause any to sever the elemental? There's no way he could have knew that is what she would do and if he did then that is silly writing.

No, he intentionally adjusted his attitude towards her and psychologically tortured her so that she would have little choice but to sever her anger from herself or risk insanity. And maybe this is just one of many possible plans.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

IronClaymore posted:

No, he intentionally adjusted his attitude towards her and psychologically tortured her so that she would have little choice but to sever her anger from herself or risk insanity.

There is no evidence of that and I personally think it is quite a stretch. No need to put down to malice what can be put down to stupidity.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

IronClaymore posted:

It would have to involve other people, especially if they have the ability to obstruct his plans. His dinner with Kat's parents for example, that wasn't politeness or anything, he was gauging their willingness to help him in another seemingly harmless thing, and as intel on how the Court in general views him and as a gauge in how far he can still push them for help. Really, his plot will involve other people, but it will treat them as mere resources. (Who knows what the MicroSatellite was really used for???)

You're really grasping at straws now. What we've seen so far in the comic doesn't support your position at all. It's pure speculation.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Does Anthony really strike you as a guy that could successfully manipulate others

IronClaymore
Jun 30, 2010

by Athanatos
Risk. Assessment.

Ok that doesn't mean much, but think about the probability that he's got some evil plan. Then think about the result if that that evil plan, whatever it is (hint: really bad stuff), comes off. I accept the possibility that he's some fucktard deadbeat dad, and that's all, but would you take that chance?

Worst comes to worst I'm-wrong Anthony is actually a fucktard deadbeat dad, but I'm saying right now that it's ruse and he's super evil and Coyote should eat him. And hell yes he's the sort of guy who can manipulate others.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

IronClaymore posted:

Risk. Assessment.

Ok that doesn't mean much, but think about the probability that he's got some evil plan. Then think about the result if that that evil plan, whatever it is (hint: really bad stuff), comes off. I accept the possibility that he's some fucktard deadbeat dad, and that's all, but would you take that chance?

Worst comes to worst I'm-wrong Anthony is actually a fucktard deadbeat dad, but I'm saying right now that it's ruse and he's super evil and Coyote should eat him. And hell yes he's the sort of guy who can manipulate others.

So in that ranking there would you say that Coyote is less evil than Anthony

IronClaymore
Jun 30, 2010

by Athanatos

YF-23 posted:

So in that ranking there would you say that Coyote is less evil than Anthony

Absolutely! But Coyote is more dangerous than Anthony. So they're both pretty risky.

Ultimately it's incomplete data. We just don't know enough about either of them.

IronClaymore fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jul 17, 2015

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

IronClaymore posted:

Risk. Assessment.

This isn't real life, it's a comic. Risk assessment means nothing because there's no risk, and the chance is entirely up to the author. This might be one of the funniest posts I've read in this thread.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Dec 1, 2016

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

IronClaymore posted:

Absolutely! But Coyote is more dangerous than Anthony. So they're both pretty risky.

Let me just remind you that Coyote manipulated Renard into killing a Court employee and by extension everything else that happened with the him and the Court.

He was also going to cut Annie's hand off if she said a thing once.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

After a thorough risk management analysis of entirely fictional characters, I have determined that Coyote is by far the greater risk, and I suggest that we all take the following steps to mitigate said risk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IronClaymore
Jun 30, 2010

by Athanatos

Fister Roboto posted:

This isn't real life, it's a comic. Risk assessment means nothing because there's no risk, and the chance is entirely up to the author. This might be one of the funniest posts I've read in this thread.

I know right? It's apocryphal. And if it fails in that part at least it can be funny.

Fister Roboto posted:

After a thorough risk management analysis of entirely fictional characters, I have determined that Coyote is by far the greater risk, and I suggest that we all take the following steps to mitigate said risk:

My risk assessment has determined that the fictional character of Coyote is actually super cool. So there.