Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
The Skaven make more sense (including the reasons that their poo poo blows up in such a consistent fashion) when you realize their leaders and engineers are high on the stuff that causes non-Skaven to turn into basically a Google Deep Dream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
Even more if you realize their currency is dangerously powerful drugs.

And slaves.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
:siren:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epK0ouN0l7U:siren:

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
gently caress yes this looks amazing.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
:siren: ~Puffy Shirts Spotted~ :siren:

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

chaos rhames posted:

Necoho the doubter, chaos god of atheism.

So the Emperor?

I dont know posted:

I don't understand why anyone would ever play an army other than orks.

Orks get played out quick if you stick with them, because it's just one joke. And it can be a good joke, but yeah.....Orks are a sometimes treat. You need to space them out over time.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Boogaleeboo posted:

Orks get played out quick if you stick with them, because it's just one joke. And it can be a good joke, but yeah.....Orks are a sometimes treat. You need to space them out over time.

Orks already fight each other all the time; got to mix it up some, to keep things interesting.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Celestial order confirmed, now I'm wondering if they'll include all the various mage and knightly orders and suborders.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

I can already hear my computer's hardware begging for an upgrade. Game's looking great.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Stephen9001 posted:

"My name is Urblad Rotgut"
"That's your problem".

Dark Omen was indeed awesome. More games like it and Shadow of the horned rat would be great, I loved Morgan Bernhardt. I wonder how the End Times would have gone down had he been Warhammer Canon? Killing Manfredd Von Carstein and an ancient necromancer king is no small feat after all.

Morgan and his bad rear end... veteran uncle? They had a great thing going on. Something about crows never going hungry.

And pretty sure that ancienct necromancer king was supposed to be Nagash until GW stepped in (nothing like driving a Steam tank over notNagash).

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
I dunno given how many times Nagash has come back after being killed I doubt one more time would make any difference in the long run.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

the animations are fun looking

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

Oh my god that is amazing.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Looking pretty drat good!

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
If the trailer features Karl Franz, I hope this means we get trailers for the other faction leaders, so we get to hear Grimgor yelling at his Waaagh! about how all their muckin' about is pissing him off and how they can make it up to him by stomping the enemy flat like right and proppa Orcs :orks101:

Also where the gently caress is the blood don't do this man come on

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

toasterwarrior posted:

Also where the gently caress is the blood DLC?

FTFY

Gaghskull
Dec 25, 2010

Bearforce1

Boys! Boys! Boys!

toasterwarrior posted:

If the trailer features Karl Franz, I hope this means we get trailers for the other faction leaders, so we get to hear Grimgor yelling at his Waaagh! about how all their muckin' about is pissing him off and how they can make it up to him by stomping the enemy flat like right and proppa Orcs :orks101:

I want to see night goblin fanatics. Whirling dervishes of doom drunk as hell on mushrooms. That and squigs. WHERE ARE THE SQUIGS CREATIVE ASSEMBLY?

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

toasterwarrior posted:

From the description in the video:

quote:

This release is the first in a series of cinematic trailers rendered in-engine, that will introduce the Legendary Lords of Total War: WARHAMMER.

These renowned characters from the Warhammer Fantasy Battles world can be selected in-game to lead the charge of conquest. Each has a unique range of special abilities, weapons, armour, mounts and their own distinct narrative quest chain.

In this trailer we meet Emperor Karl Franz, the revered leader of the Empire, as he rallies his army of men and deadly imperial artillery in a famed battle against a ravening horde of ferocious Greenskins.

So yeah, we can expect to meet everyone else.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Gaghskull posted:

I want to see night goblin fanatics. Whirling dervishes of doom drunk as hell on mushrooms. That and squigs. WHERE ARE THE SQUIGS CREATIVE ASSEMBLY?

I guarantee you we will be getting an expansion.

Total War: Warlord of the Eight peaks.

Play as the Crooked moon Tribe led by Skarsnik and his faitheful Squig Gobbla.
Fight for the dwarven holds and tunnels of Karak Eight Peaks
new units for dwarves and Skaven Plus a whole new night goblin faction

Not gonna lie im going to buy it.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

It's a really funny loophole that I guess it's okay to release a war game without any blood or gore to get a T rating and then a month down the line introduce all the blood and gore as dlc and still keep your T rating.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Are ratings as important to games now as they are to movies? Can getting a T/PG-13 rating make that much of a difference in sales over MA/R? I'm 30 so I completely missed having to ask my parents to buy GTA.

Game looks great. I wonder how they'll do flying units. Can they perpetually fly, or will they only take to the air to move? Can't wait for videos of the other factions.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Dinosaurs! posted:

Are ratings as important to games now as they are to movies? Can getting a T/PG-13 rating make that much of a difference in sales over MA/R? I'm 30 so I completely missed having to ask my parents to buy GTA.

Game looks great. I wonder how they'll do flying units. Can they perpetually fly, or will they only take to the air to move? Can't wait for videos of the other factions.

The main thing with T vs. M is that Wal Mart won't carry M rated games and they have a lot of power as a retailer. I don't know how relevant they would be for PC games but that's usually the logic behind it.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
It's a work in progress build for the trailer, so they might simply have not added blood effects yet.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
I haven't played a TW game since the first Rome; is that how these games actually look during battles now? If so, maybe I should get around to playing a newer one.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
It's how they look during "in-engine cinematics". The games look good, now, but they don't look like that. Look up a video of someone playing Rome 2 or Attila for a more realistic view.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
Oh well. Maybe in the next 10 years we'll get something that absurdly cool with screaming barbarians coming out of clouds of dust. I remember after TW: Rome came out the history channel was using it for simulating battles instead of filming large groups of cosplayers. I thought that was kind of neat.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I'd actually say the battles look worse ever since they changed to canned kill animations gotten via motion capture. It has some gameplay implications too since as of rome 2 units no longer freely engage and defend, they lock themselves into those longer combat animations and other units can't interfere with the drama until one of them is dead.

I think Emperor Edition or Atilla changed it up a bit maybe though but I definitely still notice weird extended choreographed swordplay moments.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Basically those were actual in-game models and actual in-game animations and effects, but the positioning was very carefully choreographed and the camera was very carefully positioned and moved around.

Sharkopath posted:

I think Emperor Edition or Atilla changed it up a bit maybe though but I definitely still notice weird extended choreographed swordplay moments.

Sometimes a pair of guys just decide it's time to duel, I think it's actually intentional behavior.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsJqu19GApQ

Here's a good overview of the battle animations with the blood effects applied, and yeah it seems like a lot of the kill animations are much shorter now than how I remember them being but they still have some of the longer duel ones in.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sharkopath posted:

It's a really funny loophole that I guess it's okay to release a war game without any blood or gore to get a T rating and then a month down the line introduce all the blood and gore as dlc and still keep your T rating.

and puke

As of Attila there's now puking too.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
I believe puking has also been confirmed for Total Warhammer.

Broguts
Oct 16, 2014

We have Karl Franz as the Emperor and Mannfred? Carstein leading vampire counts, so since we have named characters leading those factions I'm guessing the Orc boss here is Azhag the Slaughterer, odd choice, I would have gone with Grimgor or Gorbad but I can see why they wanted his Wyvern.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Broguts posted:

We have Karl Franz as the Emperor and Mannfred? Carstein leading vampire counts, so since we have named characters leading those factions I'm guessing the Orc boss here is Azhag the Slaughterer, odd choice, I would have gone with Grimgor or Gorbad but I can see why they wanted his Wyvern.

Grimgor's been confirmed actually. I hope that the Wyvern-riding Warlord there is just a special character for the Battle of Blackfire Pass; Grimgor doesn't gently caress around with mounts or anything more complex than his magic axe and armor. It's a piece of characterization I really like about him.

I also hope that we'll get multiple leaders per race, with the leader choice determining your bonus for that campaign. Like, you pick Grimgor if you want badass infantry that'll take hits and keep on coming, while picking Gorbad buffs your Boar cavalry to rival even Empire Knights or whatever.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Maybe I'm just spoiled by Dawn of War 2 but I really hope they polish up those magic effects, what they showed all looked really goofy.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

You know, while that trailer was cool and all, if I'm being honest seeing Karl Franz on top of that gryphon swinging a tiny little warhammer around just raises logistical issues in my mind. What exactly does he DO on there besides telling the gryphon what to do? Seems like the only time the warhammer will come into play is during very specific moves against other aerial enemies.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Tomn posted:

You know, while that trailer was cool and all, if I'm being honest seeing Karl Franz on top of that gryphon swinging a tiny little warhammer around just raises logistical issues in my mind. What exactly does he DO on there besides telling the gryphon what to do? Seems like the only time the warhammer will come into play is during very specific moves against other aerial enemies.

Mods???? MODS????

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
Karl Franz does NOT have a tiny warhammer

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
I'm pretty sure that post is so heretical that even just knowing someone who read it is sufficient grounds for inquisitorial attention.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Hey, it's a fine warhammer for use in an infantry battle. In a pinch it could be used on horseback, no problem. But how's he going to reach anything from the back of a giant gryphon when the wings and whatnot are in the way of his swing? About the only time he'll be able to bash heads once he's mounted is in midair, clobbering enemy riders off during mid-air passes which is admittedly sweet but not exactly a common occurrence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Those poor State Troops. They do not have an easy time with Giants. So glad to see the Steam Tank confirmed.

• Locked thread