Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bUm
Jan 11, 2011

holocaust bloopers posted:

Adjusting the steering ratio for Formula A everything significantly improves the handling on a gamepad.
FTFY.

At least making the steering feel less touch-y on pretty much every vehicle has seemed an improvement to me, but especially so on the top-of-the-line (Formula A, LMP1).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dirtyfrog
Apr 15, 2003

The Fantastic Fapping Frog
Ooooh, patch for PS4. Does this make it not poo poo?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

dirtyfrog posted:

Ooooh, patch for PS4. Does this make it not poo poo?

Is it the 2.0 patch? From what i've read, nope.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

bUm posted:

FTFY.

At least making the steering feel less touch-y on pretty much every vehicle has seemed an improvement to me, but especially so on the top-of-the-line (Formula A, LMP1).

I can vouch for this. But my question is, will it make the Ford MkIV not poo poo?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

widespread posted:

I can vouch for this. But my question is, will it make the Ford MkIV not poo poo?

MkIV had some updates in patch 2.0.

I haven't tried wet weather racing yet, but the AI seems better at avoidance. Game performance is improving with every patch. The hairpin on Brands Hatch was noticeably stuttery prior to patch 2.0 and isn't so much. PCARS is improving by quite a lot with each update SMS is pushing out.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

I said come in! posted:

Is it the 2.0 patch? From what i've read, nope.

Official forum says it is.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I think he's saying 2.0 doesn't make it not poo poo.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I haven't had a chance to play PCARS with the 2.0 update yet. From what I have read, a lot of people have said it does not fix some of the serious issues with gameplay, and some of the posts in this thread seem to support that. It seems that mainly pit stops and saving tuning setups are still totally broken.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

I said come in! posted:

I haven't had a chance to play PCARS with the 2.0 update yet. From what I have read, a lot of people have said it does not fix some of the serious issues with gameplay, and some of the posts in this thread seem to support that. It seems that mainly pit stops and saving tuning setups are still totally broken.

All I care about is that I now have a use for the unused Bluetooth number pad that came with a Microsoft keyboard I got 5 years ago. I paired to my PS4, and pCARS detects it just fine. I've assigned the keys on the number pad to let me adjust ARB, brake balance, and seat position.

tjones
May 13, 2005
If they would fix the flat tire pit stop poo poo I would be happy. I haven't been able to play career mode because of the pit stops and I'm tired of doing single race weekends.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

I said come in! posted:

It (Pit Stops/Strategy) seems to be broken in new and interesting ways on PS4 for me at least. I now have the choice in my Formula Rookie season of filling up with 32 or 33 litres of fuel, and no other amount....

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?
Pit strategy UI and overall setup is completely stupid in pCARS. The fuel level should allow you to indicate EITHER an amount of fuel to add when you pit up to and limited by your total fuel tank size, OR allow you to indicate the total amount of fuel you want to have in your car when you pit. These should be saved individually and chosen in a very quick manner as you are driving into the pits.

The fact that "pit strategy" in no way lets you pick an amount of fuel less than what you currently have in your tank when creating the setup just boggles my mind.

All of this comes from someone who may just simply not understand how this interface is supposed to work. Am I completely lost here, or is it just as dumb as I think it is?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Essobie posted:

Pit strategy UI and overall setup is completely stupid in pCARS. The fuel level should allow you to indicate EITHER an amount of fuel to add when you pit up to and limited by your total fuel tank size, OR allow you to indicate the total amount of fuel you want to have in your car when you pit. These should be saved individually and chosen in a very quick manner as you are driving into the pits.

The fact that "pit strategy" in no way lets you pick an amount of fuel less than what you currently have in your tank when creating the setup just boggles my mind.

All of this comes from someone who may just simply not understand how this interface is supposed to work. Am I completely lost here, or is it just as dumb as I think it is?

The way pitting works is even more stupid in my opinion, since your auto drive won't put you into your box until you close the pit menu. So on shorter pit lanes if your pit box is right at the start of the pit lane you basically can't pit at all unless you can close that menu fast enough.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

njsykora posted:

The way pitting works is even more stupid in my opinion, since your auto drive won't put you into your box until you close the pit menu. So on shorter pit lanes if your pit box is right at the start of the pit lane you basically can't pit at all unless you can close that menu fast enough.

Oh, that's why I'm seemingly never able to actually pit! I keep trying to put and repair damage, but couldn't find any options in that stupid menu about it, and my car just cruises through without stopping.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah that menu is loving garbage. It feels like a feature they got an idea to implement, and about 10% of the way through got bored and went to work on something else.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

xzzy posted:

Yeah that menu is loving garbage. It feels like a feature they got an idea to implement, and about 10% of the way through got bored and went to work on something else.

Didn't it pause in some of the Dev builds when you went into the pits so you could select what you needed without getting penalized? Wouldn't work for online, but fine for Career mode.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I would really like PCARS to save my edited hud configurations between races. That's all. Just that one thing.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I would really like PCARS to save my edited hud configurations between races. That's all. Just that one thing.

I was complaining about this day 1 and it still won't save which layout I'm using. It's either full without mirror, telemetry or eat poo poo basically.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
Since installing with the 2.0 patch, my CSR Elite has been having crazy osciliations. If I'm not being really tight with the wheel it goes crazy left to right. I thought it was the jack spade FFB config, but when removing that it was worse even after resetting the controller.

What can I do here?

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
Is it just me, or is the rain frequency absurdly high in career mode? It's a sunny day in Sonoma for practice and qualifying, but a lap and a half into a 3 lap race it's going to start pouring. The last month worth of races have had dry practice/quali and then rain halfway through the race.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

Captain Novolin posted:

Is it just me, or is the rain frequency absurdly high in career mode? It's a sunny day in Sonoma for practice and qualifying, but a lap and a half into a 3 lap race it's going to start pouring. The last month worth of races have had dry practice/quali and then rain halfway through the race.
If it's at any of the British circuits, this is realistic.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

Essobie posted:

PCars is among the worst UI's (in-game, menus, whatever... it's all bad) I've ever seen in a launched title ever. They're clunky, ugly, and the code behind them is clearly genuinely garbage to boot based on some of the bugs.

njsykora posted:

Is this just a console or online thing? I've literally never closed the menu when pitting (it pauses in single player if you go to edit either which pit strategy you want or edit the pit strategy you're on) and it goes to box with the pit options menu still up.

It'd be really nice for them to make the pit options better though.

I gave up after awhile and just got used to the default positions (as much as you can... I still get annoyed when I can't see/read the track layout because it is blending in with the sky or the sun is blinding visibility in that entire corner). Did the patch notes claiming to fix the HUD positions resetting really not fix it (like the car setup ones) either? Glad I didn't bother trying to alter my UI since it was supposedly fixed.

Captain Novolin posted:

I too got annoyed about this. Then I went to Wikipedia and saw rain is actually pretty common at Sonoma during the winter months (where the race in question was happening when I was annoyed about it raining in a desert). I *think* they did actually take time of year and locale into consideration for the weather system.

Aside from that (California tracks), it hasn't seemed terribly anomalous with the dynamic weather. Since they fixed the rain traction bug where AI murders you, I've only gotten annoyed with rain when it pulls this poo poo: qualifying starts out raining, then it stops raining and you pit in to put on better tires to get a good qualifying time, and then right as you start another qualifying lap it starts raining again and you can pretty much gently caress yourself because now the ten minutes to qualify is up despite you having not had a fair shake at a qualifying run.

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?
I've seen the HUD alterations persist, but it refuses to remember I want the virtual rear view up. I have to turn that fucker on every single session. I know that it persists on the other stuff because otherwise that poo poo would be right in between my bezels (triple screen 16:10s are something their UI coder didn't account for at all).

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

bUm posted:

Is this just a console or online thing? I've literally never closed the menu when pitting (it pauses in single player if you go to edit either which pit strategy you want or edit the pit strategy you're on) and it goes to box with the pit options menu still up.

This happens to me on the PC, I go to check my pit changes because I have to babysit this game at all times and then I close that screen and the car just completely ignores the box. Also I've had races start while I was tweaking my race setup.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Looks like there's still a lot of room for improvement in the physics. Seems like damper model leaves to be wishing in PCARS1. The transition point between slow and fast valving is currently dependent on the velocity of the suspension, instead of force applied, like in real life. They're changing this for the better in PCARS2, but by their own accounts implementing it properly results in markedly different damper reactions, I wonder how much that changes behavior for the better (be it realism or mitigating stupid quirks). Differentials are also up for an overhaul, IIRC.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

So, have any of you guys given the Ford GT a go since this last update that tweaked the handling? I took it out on Watkins Glen for a few laps and it was actually really fun to drive. It was a definite, major improvement over how it used to handle, to the point that I was having a blast throwing it through corners. I can actually recommend driving it for fun now, and not just for some ridiculous challenge to your sanity :v:

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Not sure why but I am never competitive around the Dubai Autodrome track at any difficulty greater than 70%. Must be all that open space I don't know what to do with it

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

julian assflange posted:

Not sure why but I am never competitive around the Dubai Autodrome track at any difficulty greater than 70%. Must be all that open space I don't know what to do with it
Open space between the white lines is meant to be used. :mmmhmm:

Think there's like four versions of the track so it's tough to comment more specifically, but Dubai tends to have turn-short straight-turn-long straight features. Don't stress maximizing pace on the short straights and risk compromising pace for the long straights. That is, the entrance/exit of the turns leading into the long straights are more important so you should make sure to prioritize them (aka, it's okay to take the prior turn exit tighter/slower than necessary to make sure you're on the outside going into the subsequent turn that you want to maintain solid pace for because that speed advantage will carry for the entire straightaway).

I personally haven't run into any issues of stronger AI at Dubai so you can definitely improve your line; in fact, on the GP layout the AI take the highly banked turn before the long back straight super slow which makes AI easier to beat than most tracks. If all else fails, follow an AI for awhile during practice and see what line they're running since it's usually a good one.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Oh yeah it's totally my fault but I can't seem to nail the two big hairpins that separate the longest straights

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

I found out about dedicated servers (kinda) for this game today and set some up in case anyone wants one for hosting races. Just add "-searchds satanpowered" to the game's launch options in Steam, then when you create an online lobby it should connect to one. I made a few because anyone can grab a public server (but they're rarely in use since the lobby host has to enable it), and there's one with a password which is "butts" in case the rest are taken.

I haven't tested this much at all yet so no guarantees, etc.

Eyud fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Jul 14, 2015

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Where's the option for accelerated tire wear? And how else would I force a pit stop in an AI race? Is there a way to change how much fuel the AI carries, or is it based off of what I have?

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

Where's the option for accelerated tire wear? And how else would I force a pit stop in an AI race? Is there a way to change how much fuel the AI carries, or is it based off of what I have?

It's in options under gameplay, but the AI doesn't pit properly so relying on them to do so is a great way to lose a lot. They usually wait until the last possible lap to pit, and will drive perfectly fine laps on the wrong tires until then. Pitstops in general are completely broken right now, and especially broken when it comes to AI.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I've logged 52 hours on the PS4 version and 32 hours on the PC one. Goddamn do I love me some PCARS.
:stare:

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Captain Novolin posted:

It's in options under gameplay, but the AI doesn't pit properly so relying on them to do so is a great way to lose a lot. They usually wait until the last possible lap to pit, and will drive perfectly fine laps on the wrong tires until then. Pitstops in general are completely broken right now, and especially broken when it comes to AI.

IDK if it's been fixed but the accelerated wear problem actually sees the AI cars driving until tires explode and parking at the side of the track like sleepy drunks. They're not aware of tyre wear with accelerated wear turned on.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
My G27 shows up tomorrow. gently caress you Project Cars.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

^ Word. It rules.

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?26520-Dedicated-Server-API&p=1048740#post1048740

Looks like "real" dedicated servers are coming soon, and 2.5 is in testing with 3.0 not far behind it.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

A little patch just downloaded for me, anyone know what its done?

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.
2.5 is out!

quote:

Project CARS –PC Patch 2.5 – Release Notes

Game Crashes
We spent a lot of time working directly with a number of users who were struggling with game crashes, and resolved as many of these as we could. The various fixes in this patch should help a great deal in making the game more stable for those of you who were experiencing these instabilities.

Pitting, tuning, setups
* Fixed a case where the in-game tuning Setup was not being saved under certain conditions.
* Fixed the issue with cold and current tyre pressure mismatches in pitstop strategy, as well as cold pressure not being correctly applied in the tyre system.
* Ensure that the Default pitstop strategy is selected as the Active one when starting a new session.
* Fixed an issue where the wrong vehicle setup would at times be applied to the player’s current vehicle.
* Fixed another case of where cars would sometimes leave the pits with an invisible reattached wheel.
* Fixed an issue with the Pit Strategy screen where the displayed values did not reflect the saved settings.
* Fixed an issue in online races where the pit crew would ignore any changes made to the pit strategy once the player’s car was stationary in the pit box.
* Reworked some tyre compound names as displayed in the setup screen to ensure that all compounds are named to be indicative of the type of compound it represents in the pit strategy screen.
* Restrict the selectable pit strategy tyre compound types to only those available for the current vehicle.

* Fixed an issue where the Drive button would remain permanently locked when joining an in-progress session.
* Fixed an issue where, when the player progressed from qualifying to the start of the race, the player’s car would sometimes begin moving without player, resulting in false jump-starts.

Controls
* New Feature – Implemented the ability via menu sliders for the user to manually tweak the menu spring strength, stationary / low speed spring strength, and overall steering gain.
* New Feature – The Force Feedback Calibration screen now features a multiple force feedback profile selection whereby the user can select a base FFB style that suits personal preference, and then tweak it further as desired. This will then create a ‘Custom’ entry in the profile selection list in addition to the current options: "Default" (matches the FFB default settings in Patch 2.0) and "Classic” (matches the FFB settings in the original release).
* Fixed an issue with sudden loss of FFB after a crash.
* Reduced the strength of the menu spring for custom wheels.
* Fixed an issue where Mouse controls were showing a deadzone in the centre regardless of deadzone setting.
* Fixed an issue where rumble on the gamepad could at times cause the game to slow down.
* Added support and profiles for the Logitech G29 and G920 on PC
* Added accelerator slip vibration to the wheel rim of Fanatec wheels where available, and fixed brake rumble not working.

Vehicles
* Formula A – Added a new tire set which now includes two slick tires - soft and medium. Also rebalanced the heating and wear across all four tyre sets. Wear will now more closely match real-world Formula cars. Heating is more even front to rear also. Further rebalancing of the AI speed as was required, and tweaks to the base setup to accommodate the heat change.
* Modern street cars - New stiffer tyres for improved drivability to more closely match the real world experience, making these cars more fun and engaging to drive. Made tweaks to the individual setups of the FWD and most Supercars to accommodate the change.
* Mclaren P1 - Stiffened up the default suspension to help prevent bottoming out at tracks like Nordschliefe.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

quote:

Today, 13:36 #2
Head of Studio

As before, welcome to us not supporting pCARS1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
im gonna wait for 3.0 still

• Locked thread