Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Fulchrum posted:

Oh yeah, forgot, she, alongside most of the US was tricked into voting for a war, so she looooooooves death.

Guess who wasn't tricked?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Chard posted:

the cuban is a superior sandwich

The pandering to the Florida Cuban population is just sickening.

Smoked beef brisket sandwich is the way to go. Tastes like America :911:

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
Seriously, that was an argument in 2007 and it was roundly stomped and denounced and is already buried. Even the Republican candidates know to hit Hillary on it because it still has importance to the average American who is likely to have seen a friend or relative go to Iraq.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

MrBims posted:

Seriously, that was an argument in 2007 and it was roundly stomped and denounced and is already buried. Even the Republican candidates know to hit Hillary on it because it still has importance to the average American who is likely to have seen a friend or relative go to Iraq.

Is it wrong to want Jeb! to make hitting Hillary hard on Iraq a central part of his campaign more than I want Trump to never stop running?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Gyges posted:

Is it wrong to want Jeb! to make hitting Hillary hard on Iraq a central part of his campaign more than I want Trump to never stop running?

Goddamn if we get another "proceed, Governor" moment :allears:

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

tekz posted:

700 pages of people jerking off to opinion polls and talking about politics like its sports and cheering for their fav blue team guy. Why not talk about actual things going on in the world instead, or hell just watch real sports

Bro you just blew my mind

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
This has got to be Peak Trump, right?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Slate Action posted:

Is peak Trump like peak oil? If so, we're going to be incorrectly predicting peak Trump for the next 20 years.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
He will shoot up even higher after the first debate.

Feather
Mar 1, 2003
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.

MrBims posted:

I did not know he chased dragons.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Slate Action posted:

Dehumanize yourself and face to the Trump :unsmigghh:

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007

Slate Action posted:

Things are only looking up till Greenspan says he's doing fine.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

MrBims posted:

Sadly this is true. He is a showman and his stage presence will absolutely be better than that of any of the other candidates.

Scott Walker or Jeb! might check off more GOP friendly policy points than the Donald but have you listened to them talk before? Snoozefest.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Fulchrum posted:

I'm a need some sources on that last bit, given most of the Democrats seem equally pro Israel with Obama being the exception.

shes the democratic senator from new york, which in essence means the democratic senator from NYC. She'd be doing a terrible job at representing her constituents if she wasn't pro-Israel

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Shifty Pony posted:

Sadly this is true. He is a showman and his stage presence will absolutely be better than that of any of the other candidates.

Scott Walker or Jeb! might check off more GOP friendly policy points than the Donald but have you listened to them talk before? Snoozefest.

The yoogest, most luxurious debate performance ever.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

shes the democratic senator from new york, which in essence means the democratic senator from NYC. She'd be doing a terrible job at representing her constituents if she wasn't pro-Israel

Well, she's not running for President of NYC, is she?

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

MrBims posted:

You may have noted that that wasn't the topic. It is not about whether she should get a free pass on making a loving huge mistake, it's about whether it actually was a mistake or if she actively wanted senseless slaughter of innocents and if Hillary would start a war for poo poo and giggles.

It's always great seeing people try to move the goalposts on these things to say she doesn't REALLY support the positions she's laid out.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
She already fully endorsed the Iran deal so I'm not particularly worried about AIPAC making her do something stupid with regards to the middle East. At worst she'll turn a blind eye to the plight of the Palestinians, just like every other president since Israel's inception.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Read my message again. This isn't a question of her being pro-Israel. It's a question about the average Democrat NOT being pro-Israel.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

I've always been annoyed with politicians (mostly republicans, but democrats too) who will go to a synagogue or Jewish community center, say how good they are on Israel and expect the votes to come rolling in. I assume many Hispanic communities feel the same about immigration...yes it's an important issue, but I think most members of those communities would appreciate more what a politician can do for them, in this country, now.

I'm jewish, I've never been to Israel and I have one family member, a 4th cousin, living there whom I've met once in my life. My interests in Israel is only slightly more as a strategic ally in the middle east and not the "holy land we must protect at all costs!"

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

greatn posted:

True but she already came out for the Iran deal.

Did she? At the town hall yesterday she was all 'it looks alright I guess but we gotta wait and see'.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Vox Nihili posted:

The state doesn't have to be majority rural to elect a senator with a disproportionate amount of rural backing/interests/etc. This is especially true where rural communities tend to vote together such that a 60/40 split in the metro regions is easily overcome.

Ok, dude, what part aren't you getting about the fact that urban does not mean liberal and suburbs mean it even less? If you just keep believing in the rural boogeyman you'll never understand American politics!

Take Texas for example: at least half the suburbs there are blood red, and even significant parts of the abominations they call "cities" are as well.

Edit: Michigan has this bad too. Outside Detroit, there's a couple fairly big cities that are hard-R through and through, to say nothing of their suburbs. Mostly in the west of the state.

Nintendo Kid fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jul 17, 2015

Bifner McDoogle
Mar 31, 2006

"Life unworthy of life" (German: Lebensunwertes Leben) is a pragmatic liberal designation for the segments of the populace which they view as having no right to continue existing, due to the expense of extending them basic human dignity.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Did she? At the town hall yesterday she was all 'it looks alright I guess but we gotta wait and see'.

Yeah she released a paper statement fully backing it.

Hillary is doing this weird thing where she lays out a bunch of real specific positions in text but doesn't talk about them in her speeches. This seems to be a bad way to get the message out but then again she's probably just targeting democratic primary voters, the only people who'd bother to read her website or statements or whatever. Its like she's insanely paranoid about the media grabbing soundbites out of context and whatnot, so she endorse reversing the citizens united decision or the Iraq negotiations on her official platform but hardly ever takes a side during her speeches.

I am really, really interested in what is going to happen to this forum when Bernie drops out, endorses Hillary and gives her any delegates he's managed to pick up, tho.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Not to mention she harping on about how the Iranians can't be trusted, but hey, if USA can be so cavalier about treaties, how can one expect anything better of Iran. :v:

Rincewinds fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jul 17, 2015

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Trump Seizes on Chattanooga Shooting

quote:

Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump is calling to eliminate gun-free zones on military bases in the United States in the wake of Thursday’s shooting attacks at two military centers in Chattanooga, Tennessee.

Muhammad Youssuf Abdulazeez opened fire at two civilian military facilities on Thursday, killing four Marines and injuring three others, according to officials. Abdulazeez was killed in a subsequent gunfight with police, reports said.

“Get rid of gun free zones. The four great marines who were just shot never had a chance,” Trump tweeted Friday. “They were highly trained but helpless without guns.”

In an interview with Fox News’ Bill O’Reilly on Thursday night, Trump also decried President Barack Obama and others for not calling the shootings acts of “Islamic terrorism.”

Terrorism is only going to get worse in the U.S., Trump told O’Reilly, because “people don’t respect our law enforcement, and I think they don’t respect our country and we’re taking power away from the police.”

“Whether it’s Islamic or anything else, it’s getting worse. We’re losing law and order. They don’t respect — you look at what’s happening in Detroit, you look at what’s happening in Baltimore or Chicago, it’s getting worse all the time,” Trump said.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

"This wouldn't have happened if those marines had guns." Yessssss.

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

Bifner McDoogle posted:

Yeah she released a paper statement fully backing it.

Hillary is doing this weird thing where she lays out a bunch of real specific positions in text but doesn't talk about them in her speeches. This seems to be a bad way to get the message out but then again she's probably just targeting democratic primary voters, the only people who'd bother to read her website or statements or whatever. Its like she's insanely paranoid about the media grabbing soundbites out of context and whatnot, so she endorse reversing the citizens united decision or the Iraq negotiations on her official platform but hardly ever takes a side during her speeches.

I am really, really interested in what is going to happen to this forum when Bernie drops out, endorses Hillary and gives her any delegates he's managed to pick up, tho.

The moment she lays out any details in a soundbite, she'll have the entire Republican field united and taking shots at her. She's in a tough spot of having positions she'd like to articulate, but being unable to do so while the Republican field is a sideshow of insanity moving ever rightward.

That's a charitable read of it anyway.

This forum, for the most part, is voting Bernie and preparing for Hilary. Reddit will probably have a meltdown :reddit:

electric funeral
Oct 16, 2004

ACCIO PANTIES
*swoosh flick*
I really like Dom Irrera's approach to guns: not only should everyone own them, it should be required to have them drawn at all times.

DutchDupe
Dec 25, 2013

How does the kitty cat go?

...meow?

Very gooood.

DaveWoo posted:

Trump Seizes on Chattanooga Shooting

“Whether it’s Islamic or anything else, it’s getting worse. We’re losing law and order. They don’t respect — you look at what’s happening in Detroit, you look at what’s happening in Baltimore or Chicago, it’s getting worse all the time,” Trump said.

At least he's now trying to go with the approved dog whistle tactic instead of the out and out racism. He hit the big three with Detroit, Chicago and Baltimore and equating them to Islamic terrorism.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
If for some reason military was allowed to carry regularly on base again (other than MPs) we'd probably see a pretty big bump in suicides and then they'd just handwave that. Disillusioned soldiers sitting around with guns is pretty much the worst. My sister and brother are both long time military and they've gone through some pretty heavy depression after coming back from iraq and afganistan.

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.
Hot take: Trump is the id of the white working class American in the same mold as George Wallace. His "strategy" (does he have a strategy?) for electoral success is to gin up support among white working class voters who are being hurt by neo-liberalism but otherwise are too racist and reactionary to vote Democratic. He has the theatrical stylings of a George Wallace with the savvy to know how to keep in the news. Anti-free trade, nativism, "Bomb everyone" is classic popular demagoguery. Much like George Wallace, if he wants to hang around with this and be serious, I think he can find a steady base and make trouble for Rubio, Walker or Bush.

Bernie Sanders seems to have this longer-term vision of winning some of these voters back to the Democrats by focusing on economic issues and wealth inequality, not unlike the presidential candidate to whom he is often compared, George McGovern. 34 years later, you can't win Democratic primaries by turning out Polish works in Milwaukee, but if Sanders isn't interested in winning (and there is no evidence that he thinks he wants to do so) I think it will be an interesting strategy.

I'm gonna hang up and listen.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Democrazy posted:

Hot take: Trump is the id of the white working class American in the same mold as George Wallace. His "strategy" (does he have a strategy?) for electoral success is to gin up support among white working class voters who are being hurt by neo-liberalism but otherwise are too racist and reactionary to vote Democratic. He has the theatrical stylings of a George Wallace with the savvy to know how to keep in the news. Anti-free trade, nativism, "Bomb everyone" is classic popular demagoguery. Much like George Wallace, if he wants to hang around with this and be serious, I think he can find a steady base and make trouble for Rubio, Walker or Bush.

The thread title is really the perfect summary of Trump. It's kinda amazing that Perry came up with it (who am I kidding, it was probably his staff).

Feather
Mar 1, 2003
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.

HappyHippo posted:

The thread title is really the perfect summary of Trump. It's kinda amazing that Perry came up with it (who am I kidding, it was probably his staff).

Isn't the point that it's also a perfect summary of itself? It is a catch-all politics thread in a comedy forum after all.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

HappyHippo posted:

He originally said "toxic mix of demagoguery, nonsense, and uh..." and his staff reworked it.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

Bryter posted:

He originally said "toxic mix of demagoguery, nonsense, and uh..." and his staff reworked it.

:golfclap:

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

oh, huffpo :allears:

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
I feel weird asking this question but has Trump effectively just sucked all the air out of the GOP primary? I mean I follow politics fairly closely and I can't think of anything that the Not Trumps are talking about.

I'm sure the right wing media is covering the other stuff but when was the last time you heard anything interesting comping out of Rubio or Jeb! or Paul?

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth

Three Olives posted:

I feel weird asking this question but has Trump effectively just sucked all the air out of the GOP primary? I mean I follow politics fairly closely and I can't think of anything that the Not Trumps are talking about.

I'm sure the right wing media is covering the other stuff but when was the last time you heard anything interesting comping out of Rubio or Jeb! or Paul?

The only thing Not Trumps are asked about is Donald J Trump.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

This is dumb. I will be the first one to say that Trump is running a circus sideshow but to pretend that his message isn't resonating well with the Republican base is abandonment of political journalism.

I will be the first one to say that Trump is a loving clown but just because any sane rational person would say he has nothing to offer politically but saying he isn't incredibly relevant to Republican politics is just as dumb. I mean it is horrifying to understand that his message of being a poo poo person is doing so well in Republican politics but polls don't lie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

rear end cobra posted:

The only thing Not Trumps are asked about is Donald J Trump.

And talking about him is the only way they get in the news.

• Locked thread