Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Nostradingus posted:

My brother-in-law is a hardcore imgurite and I can confirm that he does brag about his upvotes. He has never made the front page though which actually makes it sadder.

Whhhyyyy

I seriously can't think of something less noteworthy. I'd rather share stories of daily poops than hear about someone's status on an Internet website. At least I can relate to taking a really nice dump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Boofchicken posted:

Do you think these people walk around telling their friends, teachers, parents, etc., about how they got on the front page of imgur?

"Hey you loving pussy, watch where you're walking."
"Your jibes can't touch me today dear sir...I'm on the front page of imgur. Also I am a bi-sexual and have experimented with both sexes."

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Nostradingus posted:

My brother-in-law is a hardcore imgurite and I can confirm that he does brag about his upvotes. He has never made the front page though which actually makes it sadder.

How does he work that into conversation?

"Hey bro-in-law? Dis you watch the football last night?"
"Indeed, our team played so well that I wished I could upvote them. ... On the topic of upvotes..."

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Image macros are terrible but that penguin one is some next level garbage. The source picture isn't even humorous and since my only context is this thread I can only assume it's just an outlet for the lamest humble brag possible.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

NESguerilla posted:

Image macros are terrible but that penguin one is some next level garbage. The source picture isn't even humorous and since my only context is this thread I can only assume it's just an outlet for the lamest humble brag possible.

If I remember my advice animals correctly, the blue penguin thing is Socially Awkward Penguin, which is for when you do stupid terrible awkward nerd things in public that absolutely need to be turned into memes. Like when the cashier at the cinema says "Enjoy your movie!" and you reply "Thanks, you too." Everyone feels much better as a person knowing that this happened to you.

The red penguin is uhhhhh I can't remember but it's when you do awesome things that AREN'T socially awkward, basically. Very rarely used except when you do half blue penguin and half red penguin, like this, where you start out doing something stupid and awkward but somehow turn it around into what I believe is called an :airquote:"Epic Win":airquote:. And yes, it's pretty much always used for humblebrags.

Advice animals and other image macros are possibly the stupidest things to ever exist. At least baby snot sucking devices exist because babies have hosed up noses and poo poo. Image macros have no reason for being.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Image Macros exist because they take all the effort out of telling stories on the Internet. There is barely any text and since they are usually made for other people knowing the macro, they immediately let you know how to feel about the story.

It's the laziest and most automated way of communicating. (I always like to think it's great for empathy deprived nerds since it communicates what the author and you are supposed to be feeling.)

Also yes what you said about the penguins is right, blue = socially awkward, red = socially awesome and mixed ones mean it started out as good/bad and ended up being bad/good. When I was younger and dumber I loved rage comics and other assorted dank memes.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Fathis Munk posted:

Image Macros exist because they take all the effort out of telling stories on the Internet. There is barely any text and since they are usually made for other people knowing the macro, they immediately let you know how to feel about the story.

It's the laziest and most automated way of communicating. (I always like to think it's great for empathy deprived nerds since it communicates what the author and you are supposed to be feeling.)

Reminds me of TV tropes

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
It's kind of facinating how memes have developed.
Way back when I first found them (2003) they were pretty much shorthand references for obscure in-jokes developed out of 4chan or Something Awful and usually linked to to YTMND, which pretty much was the Imgur of the day.
If you got the reference you clearly were "in" with the crowd. This didn't stop a ton of people attempting to force in memes of their own.

I do recall de-motivational posters tended to be used for memes involving some sort of joke and punchline and I guess could be the precursor to memes that have a narrative given the format was the perfect template for cynicism.

The main shift was when rage comics became big around 2008 and then got coupled to easy to use generators which just built up with more and more avenues to easily deliver summaries of imaginary first world problems processed through sheltered minds.
You could argue the whole advice animals set is a shorthand form of a rage comic. You also could argue that memes and macros are evolved forms of emoticions.

It's fascinating how the basics haven't actually changed as you sort of have to know the meaning behind penguins and bears to understand the context which will always be shifting based on generations.
Not many who are 20 today would get:

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I remember a few years ago trying to explain what a meme was to someone and pronouncing it maymay because I'd never heard it said aloud. The Labrador is the first one I recall. Rage Comics really were the accelerant that caused internet culture to ender the popular consciousness. It's still strange hearing them discussed in the real world for example at the Ubisoft E3 conference they said something along the lines of "like it, share it, make new memes about".

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

EmmyOk posted:

I remember a few years ago trying to explain what a meme was to someone and pronouncing it maymay because I'd never heard it said aloud. The Labrador is the first one I recall. Rage Comics really were the accelerant that caused internet culture to ender the popular consciousness. It's still strange hearing them discussed in the real world for example at the Ubisoft E3 conference they said something along the lines of "like it, share it, make new memes about".

I loving hate it when people call them "may mays" or "me mes" when it's literally a word already and it's pronounced "meem".

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
:agreed:

Memes are really interesting and I'd love to see some actual good studies on their history and evolution. Part of the whole point is that they evolve kinda like genes, mutating as they get passed along in the population.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I'm particularly interested how meme entered the common parlance. I know it was the word Dawkins used for as Fathis Monk said being a cultural idea that passes on like genes, but how it went from that to being a catch all for image macros is weird to me. It makes sense as a term for those things but it's weird that at some point people said "these recurring image jokes are examples of memes". Or is it that Dawkins coined the term specifically to refer to these?

Evelyn Nesbit
Jul 8, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

I'm particularly interested how meme entered the common parlance. I know it was the word Dawkins used for as Fathis Monk said being a cultural idea that passes on like genes, but how it went from that to being a catch all for image macros is weird to me. It makes sense as a term for those things but it's weird that at some point people said "these recurring image jokes are examples of memes". Or is it that Dawkins coined the term specifically to refer to these?

I remember hearing it as early as 2003-ish on livejournal, in reference to surveys or games or whatever that you were supposed to pass around and tag other people on.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Fathis Munk posted:

:agreed:

Memes are really interesting and I'd love to see some actual good studies on their history and evolution. Part of the whole point is that they evolve kinda like genes, mutating as they get passed along in the population.

poo poo goes to the next level when you realize that memes can have counter-memes and they actually work together to reproduce more in people's brains.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rE3j_RHkqJc

:psyduck: psychology is a motherfucker

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

EmmyOk posted:

Dawkins defined it in The Selfish Gene as a unit of cultural transmission. Some examples were fashion and learned skills.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Didn't something awful start the whole impact font on a picture thing?

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Bobby Digital posted:

Dawkins defined it in The Selfish Gene as a unit of cultural transmission. Some examples were fashion and learned skills.
The first time I learned what memes were was in a social psych book in college, and it was exactly this. It confused the hell out of me when people started using it to refer to image macros. But at least I knew how to pronounce it correctly :smuggo:

Speaking of, why the hell are they called macros?

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
There is only one possible way to pronounce it, how can you pronounce it wrong unless you're saying "me me"?

Trebek
Mar 7, 2002
College Slice
droppin ovaries in this hoe bitch

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

poo poo goes to the next level when you realize that memes can have counter-memes and they actually work together to reproduce more in people's brains.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rE3j_RHkqJc

:psyduck: psychology is a motherfucker

Simple ideas but really well explained and quite interesting.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Stay off reddit dudes, and you won't have to worry about your hard drive filling me

Stay here and absorb all the cuck jokes and doobie dogz instead

Evelyn Nesbit
Jul 8, 2012

hyperhazard posted:

The first time I learned what memes were was in a social psych book in college, and it was exactly this. It confused the hell out of me when people started using it to refer to image macros. But at least I knew how to pronounce it correctly :smuggo:

Speaking of, why the hell are they called macros?

According to Wikipedia:

quote:

The term "image macro" originated on forum websites.[2] The name derived from the fact that the "macros" were a short bit of text a user could enter that the forum software would automatically parse and expand into the code for a pre-defined image.[2] This in turn related to the computer science topic of a macro, defined as "a rule or pattern that specifies how a certain input sequence (often a sequence of characters) should be mapped to an output sequence (also often a sequence of characters) according to a defined procedure".

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

goose fleet posted:

There is only one possible way to pronounce it, how can you pronounce it wrong unless you're saying "me me"?

Someone I know pronounces it "may-mm", as in rhyming with game, and refuses to believe it's pronounced otherwise.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

EmmyOk posted:

The Venn diagram of "people who considered Dawkins the second coming but never actually read or understood any of his books" and "college students who spent all day on social media sharing stupid surveys" was practically a circle in the early/mid 2000s.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Splicer posted:

The Venn diagram of "people who considered Dawkins the second coming but never actually read or understood any of his books" and "college students who spent all day on social media sharing stupid surveys" was practically a circle in the early/mid 2000s.

Haha that's true. I liked Dawkins a few years ago when I was 19/20 then I read The God Delusion and thought he was a oval office. I've a copy of The Blind Watchmaker too though, a pal of mine says his religious books are bad but his books on biology are quite good.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

EmmyOk posted:

Haha that's true. I liked Dawkins a few years ago when I was 19/20 then I read The God Delusion and thought he was a oval office. I've a copy of The Blind Watchmaker too though, a pal of mine says his religious books are bad but his books on biology are quite good.

The Greatest Show On Earth is a book everyone should read.

I agreed with pretty much all of The God Delusion and it still annoyed the poo poo out of me.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Verisimilidude posted:

I loving hate it when people call them "may mays" or "me mes" when it's literally a word already and it's pronounced "meem".

Used to have a friend who pronounced it memmy :3:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

goose fleet posted:

:ironicat: that's wrong.

Its "Meem". Its always been "meem".

Vic Boss
Jan 19, 2007

:ocelot:
You're pretty good.
:ocelot:

Zaphod42 posted:

That doesn't answer his question.

E: Some people with a French background may automatically read "meme" in a French accent, which sounds like "mem".

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

He knows "me me" is wrong, He's saying "how else, besides me-me, can you be pronouncing it wrong"

Vic Boss posted:

E: Some people with a French background may automatically read "meme" in a French accent, which sounds like "mem".

ngl I thought it was that at first

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

sweeperbravo posted:

He knows "me me" is wrong, He's saying "how else, besides me-me, can you be pronouncing it wrong"

Oh I see. My b.

Yeah "mem" would be wrong but "me me" is the typical wrong answer, yeah.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I know folks who pronounce "anime" without the e. "Anim". First time I didn't catch on what they were talking about until two minutes later and now it's super awkward every time.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

My Lovely Horse posted:

I know folks who pronounce "anime" without the e. "Anim". First time I didn't catch on what they were talking about until two minutes later and now it's super awkward every time.

What? Is this just one of those "never heard it pronounced" before or did they have some dumb reason for pronouncing it that way? You say 'they' like there's more than one person doing it.

I couldn't care less about anime but that would drive me nuts too.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Vic Boss posted:

That doesn't answer his question.

My wife pronounces it this way and it drives me up a loving wall.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
The fact that you guys are dealing with memes so often you have to learn how to say the word makes me sad as gently caress for you duders

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

ElGroucho posted:

The fact that you guys are dealing with memes so often you have to learn how to say the word makes me sad as gently caress for you duders

I was a college student within the past decade, and am a person who grew up to be a poster on the Something Awful Forums. Saying "meme" aloud isn't really that much of a stretch

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

My Lovely Horse posted:

I pronounced "anime" as "an-eye-m" until I was like 15. :ughh:

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?
Actually it's ah-nah-ma

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Big Grunty Secret posted:

Actually it's ah-nah-ma

Po-tah-toe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Friend of a friend had never heard the word "halibut" pronounced, so he ordered a plate of grilled hall-ah-boo. :3:

• Locked thread