Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Yeah, I feel the same way. I'd rather live a long life and make OK money instead of stressing myself into an early grave trying to make more.

My stress level agrees with this post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

spwrozek posted:

20,000 employees here, work hard and be good = get all the cool jobs, best raises 5-8% vs 2-3%, bigger bonus 10-15% vs 4-8%.

The real key is to learn how to be bad rear end and do it in 40 hours. Lots of hours says nothing about work quality.

Yeah don't loving do the bare minimum for 20 hours and then gently caress off the rest of the time, but don't be a slave to your job either. Put on a good drat 40 hours every week, and then leave work and enjoy yourself.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

quote:

You do not generally get rewarded for doing more than you are expected. The reward for doing more than you are expected is being expected to do more.

This is exactly my company's mentality (127,000 employees). The more you do, the more jobs you absorb and the less co-workers you suddenly have. Meanwhile, your pay remains unchanged.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Is it dumb to invest in individual stocks? I think I've seen that in this thread (maybe).

Edit: Meant to post this on newbie finance.

The Slack Lagoon fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jul 16, 2015

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Massasoit posted:

Is it dumb to invest in individual stocks? I think I've seen that in this thread (maybe).

Yes. Please come visit the long term investing and retirement thread to learn about the wonderful world of indexing.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Massasoit posted:

Edit: Meant to post this on newbie finance.
The answer is somewhere between maybe and yes, depending on your situation.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

pig slut lisa posted:

Yes. Please come visit the long term investing and retirement thread to learn about the wonderful world of indexing.

Going to be threads scares me. Please don't make me go!

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
A lot of you guys have lovely jobs. I've been there.

spwrozek posted:

Lots of hours says nothing about work quality.

Yup. Too many people think effort and value are 1:1.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

The optimal job is where you get paid a lot to do very little and are not expected to do extra.

I'll work extra hard if I'll directly benefit from it but what's the motivation otherwise. Work is not a moral good, I want to maximize my pay to work ratio.

I think I have pretty close to the perfect job (for me). I'm 33 now and I've been here 13 years already, I don't think I'll leave unless they fire me. While I've been criminally underpaid for many of those years, I'm catching back up.

Cons of my job:
- As mentioned, I'm underpaid. But that's (local) government/non-profit bureaucracy for you.

Pros of my job:
- I'm good at what I do, the "go to guy". I'm also the only one who can do much of this work. Good worker + good reputation + specialized knowledge + government job = I'm not going anywhere.
- I choose my priorities / what to work on, I can do as much or as little as I want
- The work can occasionally be challenging / interesting
- I have a poo poo ton of PTO. I get 6 weeks each year, not including sick time (12 days/year - max 30 days) and ~12? holidays.
- Because I'm basically an island and my boss is incredibly hands off, I can on a whim decide "Eh, I'm taking the rest of the week off" and no one bats and eye.
- Thought I'm underpaid in terms of market rate, it is a small niche software I specialize in so it's not like I could get another job without moving. With annual raises/cost of living I'm getting a 4-5% raise each year.
- There are some exceptions, but it truly is a 8-4:30 job. The employer takes that very seriously.

Last year I was incredibly busy (downfall of being the only one capable of doing certain work) but it's slowed down a lot. Working 50-60 hour weeks for a few months straight was awful. I don't think I could ever go to where that's the norm, I'd much rather make 70% of the salary for 70% of the hours at this stage in life. It might be different if I didn't have a family, but not now. Working is just a means to an end.

I think the only thing I could do eventually to "upgrade" would be to quit my job and consult full time. Let the wife worry about benefits and stuff, then I could work half the hours and make about the same amount of money (though I'd have to chase people down for payment, etc).

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
I own a rental property that I'm trying to sell, so I recently had the tenants move out after we refused to renew the lease. I just learned that they hadn't paid their water bill in months, and the water company came after me. I went ahead and paid the bill, but what recourse do I have against the former tenants? Aside from asking nicely, is small claims court the only way I'll get the money back?

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

The Macaroni posted:

I own a rental property that I'm trying to sell, so I recently had the tenants move out after we refused to renew the lease. I just learned that they hadn't paid their water bill in months, and the water company came after me. I went ahead and paid the bill, but what recourse do I have against the former tenants? Aside from asking nicely, is small claims court the only way I'll get the money back?

Was it in the lease that it was their responsibility to pay the water bill? If it was yeah small claims. If it wasn't you're hosed.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Don't have the text of the lease at my fingertips but pretty sure it said something along the lines of "Tenant is responsible for all utilities and landlord isn't." Cool, I'll take that and the bill to court if they don't pony up.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

The Macaroni posted:

Virtually none worth your time. Always pay the water bill yourself since that can result in a lean on your property.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Massasoit posted:

Going to be threads scares me. Please don't make me go!

It's a very welcoming thread to new investors. Discussion can get technical at times but when a newbie is asking for help people are very friendly and good at presenting information in an easily understandable format.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Harry posted:

Virtually none worth your time. Always pay the water bill yourself since that can result in a lean on your property.

Lien :eng101:

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

The Macaroni posted:

What happened to their security deposit?

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

Harry posted:

Paid up already, since we're trying to sell and now is not the time for a lien.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

What happened to their security deposit?
Swallowed up by repairs. Yeah, these were classy tenants. I'm fueled by rage as much as justice at the thought of going to court for a few hundred bucks.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

The Macaroni posted:

Swallowed up by repairs. Yeah, these were classy tenants. I'm fueled by rage as much as justice at the thought of going to court for a few hundred bucks.

If the repairs cost more than the deposit can't you add that on too? I understand some stuff won't be covered due to state and local laws, but make sure you can't ask for more than just the water bill.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

The optimal job is where you get paid a lot to do very little and are not expected to do extra.

This sounds like a terrible way to live ~1/3 of your life. Sounds like you've got a bit of a Tim Ferriss work philosophy going on here.

I think the "optimal" job is one that doesn't feel like work and happens to pay you enough to get by and get a little gently caress-you money so that you can leave when it does start feeling like work.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

If the repairs cost more than the deposit can't you add that on too? I understand some stuff won't be covered due to state and local laws, but make sure you can't ask for more than just the water bill.
This is pretty much the plan. I'm going to send them a certified letter that says, "You can pay this money to me now, or I can take you to court, make you and your husband miss work, and I will look to collect additional damages for repairs and court fees and pretty much anything else I can think of. Nobody wants that, right?"

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

The Macaroni posted:

This is pretty much the plan. I'm going to send them a certified letter that says, "You can pay this money to me now, or I can take you to court, make you and your husband miss work, and I will look to collect additional damages for repairs and court fees and pretty much anything else I can think of. Nobody wants that, right?"

Good luck.

Getting a ruling in your favor is relatively easy. Getting any actual money if they have no inclination to pay? Much harder.

I'm only speaking from my own experience here when I had to sue a former roommate, but it's getting blood from a turnip. I filed suit against her in February, and didn't get a court date until April, though compared to some cases that's not a bad turnaround time. I won a judgement (she never showed, which was no surprise,) and she was sent a certified letter from the court saying to pay me within 30 days. She did not, so I went back to the court and asked what the next step was. I then had to sign a statement saying that no, they didn't pay, and get a writ of execution. Then it was up to me to get a sheriff to serve her and her employer the writ. Oh, and it was my job to find her employer, because she changed jobs.

And of course, there was a $50 filing fee for the case, a $50 fee for the writ, and had I bothered to keep going, the sheriff probably had some fee, too. You can get those added on to the judgement, but again, if they have no intention of ever paying in the first place, it won't matter.

Suing is really best if it's against a business, or at least someone who owns real estate that can have a levy against it.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

tuyop posted:

This sounds like a terrible way to live ~1/3 of your life. Sounds like you've got a bit of a Tim Ferriss work philosophy going on here.

I think the "optimal" job is one that doesn't feel like work and happens to pay you enough to get by and get a little gently caress-you money so that you can leave when it does start feeling like work.

I agree with 100 Hogs.

Sitting in an office, spending most of my time asleep or on the internet, and occasionally rubber stamping something: My Paradise.

Getting $20 million bonuses would be welcome, too. But I'd settle for (Australian) minimum wage, if needed.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Sic Semper Goon posted:

I agree with 100 Hogs.

Sitting in an office, spending most of my time asleep or on the internet, and occasionally rubber stamping something: My Paradise.

Getting $20 million bonuses would be welcome, too. But I'd settle for (Australian) minimum wage, if needed.

Dream job: do that for one year/ $20 million bonus, do something to get myself fired, take my $10 million severance package, and retire.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Nail Rat posted:

Dream job: do that for one year/ $20 million bonus, do something to get myself fired, take my $10 million severance package, and retire.

Way ahead of you:

Sic Semper Goon a while ago posted:

Sell literally everything in the company, incinerate everything that couldn't be sold, take every cent the company has as a bonus, then immediately resign.

Flee to the Dominican Republic and live as a mortal god, occasionally fending off assassins sent by angry former stockholders.

EDIT: I would do all this within 12 hours of becoming CEO.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

Sic Semper Goon posted:

One Goon Who Dared to Dream

I'm still holding out for Bikini Inspector. Already got the shirt and everything.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Sic Semper Goon posted:

I agree with 100 Hogs.

Not really my ideal. At the moment this is what I'm doing except for some intensive work as an expert witness. There's some downtime before the year gets busy again and my employee has decided to leave. Not much work or expenses but I'm going to try operating without an employee for a while to may a lot of money from my time.

I've had enough down time that I'm bored but I can't concentrate on work on other stuff because I'm usually interrupted with phone calls or emails. Work is work and it's best to make as much as possible in a short period of time then move on. Being bored shitless on Australian minimum wage or higher doesn't appeal to me.

If you take the Tim Ferriss angle one of the things he talks about is mini-retirements, or holidays that you'd do if you had the time/money. What I'm doing is making that happen. I went to Australia to catch up with family and friends and around December I'm going to a release party in Paris. Stuff I would be otherwise missing out on. However, it's a bit of contract management and cutting out bullshit expenses.

No matter what happens I'll be working on something that allows me to use my creativity. Even if I sell off my business I'll just start up another one that has a bit more flexibility and downtime. Doing nothing isn't inspiring and being stuck in an easy job isn't either because it means I couldn't travel or go to a party whenever I feel like it.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

I have an insurance question. I live in a townhome and have a homeowners insurance policy that seems like it's like a single family home policy where it covers the structure and so on, as opposed to a renter's policy that just covers poo poo from the walls-in. I get a special assessment every year from the HOA that is for the 'blanket insurance'. I was looking through the policy they sent and it looks like it covers the structure and walls-out stuff and I am thinking I'm double-insuring my house. My bank asked me what type of roof I have and the roof age as part of determining the policy cost when it renewed, leading me to believe that I have a policy that covers the building, when the HOA is already responsible for that.

Should I call the bank and ask if they have a different insurance for people with townhomes? Has anyone had any experience with this? This is my first home so I'm a bit unpracticed at how to do any of this stuff. If I could save a couple hundred a month on the mortgage, that would be swell.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Just found out my company does the whole 'extra' after-tax 401k contributions thing, and has a webpage that explains how to do it. Yay! :toot:

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

I misread an email from my HR team taking about after-tax 401k contributions being possible (which I thought they had been for a while), and thought they were saying we could do in-service rollovers and Mega Backdoor on Roth IRAs. I was wrong; they still don't allow in-service rollovers and they were just bringing attention to recent IRS guidelines/decisions clarifying how after-tax contributions can be applied.

Doesn't matter much to me since I'm not near Roth IRA phase out, I'm just barely maxing trad. 401k/Roth IRA/HSA, and would rather have the lowered tax burden from the traditional 401k than contribute on a Roth or after-tax basis at this point anyway.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Trying to max out my after-tax 401k contributions, which means my bi-weekly paycheck for the remainder of the year is going to go down to like $900. Looks like I'll have to sell some stock and take the 15% long-term capital gains hit, but I'll still come out ahead in the long run because of the tax advantages of getting way more money into a Roth IRA, right? Right? :ohdear:

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Sounds good to me. As long as you have your emergency fund in place, and aren't trying to save up for a big down payment. You are effectively moving money from a taxable account to a tax advantaged one. I'm doing basically the same thing: Putting max into 401k, which would leave me not enough to save up to fund my IRA, and selling some taxable assets to do the IRA.

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

Why did I become a teacher? July paychecks are the worst.

Blaaaaaaahhhhh.

Kind of kidding? I love teaching but the pay is atrocious. Especially in my state, since they suspended cost of living increases eight years ago. We are finally getting 5% over two years starting this fall. Our salaries are something like 13% less than they should be. (Legislatures, of course, get an 11% raise over the next two years!)

I've avoided teaching summer school for 7 years, but I think next year I will probably take on a few students. Would be a nice little paybump.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

spinst posted:

Why did I become a teacher? July paychecks are the worst.

Blaaaaaaahhhhh.

Kind of kidding? I love teaching but the pay is atrocious. Especially in my state, since they suspended cost of living increases eight years ago. We are finally getting 5% over two years starting this fall. Our salaries are something like 13% less than they should be. (Legislatures, of course, get an 11% raise over the next two years!)

I've avoided teaching summer school for 7 years, but I think next year I will probably take on a few students. Would be a nice little paybump.

I feel ya, I'm doing my Masters in teaching right now (unpaid practicums that get in the way of getting a job while studying, yay!). Where I used to live in the US teachers had the option of taking their summer pay as a lump sum at the end of the school year, or just getting paid the same throughout the summer, at least.

It bums me out a bit reading /r/personalfinance or this subforum at times, knowing there's never going to be "changed employers because I was being underpaid, increased my salary by 30%" moment in my career, unless I leave it :smith:

On a brighter note, I'd like to try becoming a motorcycle instructor during the summer vacations, it'd be nice to combine two things I like (motorbikes and teaching), and it's pretty seasonal work anyhow. I've also dabbled in paid photo work in the past and enjoy that, I could see myself going .8FTE if I could justify it in terms of income.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
I'm starting a teaching company, actually. Three of us are partnering up to form a nonprofit that offers a philosophy for children homeschool augmentation program and after school program. It seems like the numbers kind of work out and I'm so disgusted with schools and ~the system~ that I can't stand the idea of working in most schools here every day.

Then, maybe starting a private school in 3-5 years?

Talk me out of it, goons!

tuyop fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Aug 1, 2015

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
I'm probably going to be doing the same thing myself in a few years, so I'm not going to talk you out of it at all :) Besides, homeschooling/private schooling is quickly growing and it's a great market to be in - richer families who will spend money on their kids to do well.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

moana posted:

I'm probably going to be doing the same thing myself in a few years, so I'm not going to talk you out of it at all :) Besides, homeschooling/private schooling is quickly growing and it's a great market to be in - richer families who will spend money on their kids to do well.

Here in Alberta there's a lot of interest in providing grants to companies that educate at-risk youth as well, which is where my real interests lie. Though my partners have a compelling argument for fixing educating the children of the rich and powerful to feel empathy and think critically.

its no big deal
Apr 19, 2015
My girlfriend and I just moved after graduating college a couple months ago. I am starting full time work and she is starting part time at a coffee shop. She saved a lot over the summer for moving fees. Each of our parents helped us out getting set up too. Last night we set aside money for all utilities, gas, pets, and groceries through the start of October. Rent will be paid using my credit card at first due to timing on paychecks. That budgeting includes putting a couple hundred dollars aside for when we find a higher yield short term savings account. This budgeting only includes current funds, not any of her future paychecks and not extra money b/w what rent is and what my paychecks are.

Oh, and we didn't eat out today. Feels drat good to be 22 and on top of this stuff. I feel like I've missed something that should be stressing me out financially.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Have you set up your 401k yet?

its no big deal
Apr 19, 2015

MrKatharsis posted:

Have you set up your 401k yet?

It's on the To-Do list. I'm teaching, so it'll be a 403b. I thought the HR sessions was going to have a bit more on useful things like benefits, retirement, etc. but it ended up being a lot of "Don't touch kids" and "BTW, there's a union". I guess I should ask in the Newbie Finance and/or K-12 Education threads for advice. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

its no big deal posted:

My girlfriend and I just moved after graduating college a couple months ago. I am starting full time work and she is starting part time at a coffee shop. She saved a lot over the summer for moving fees. Each of our parents helped us out getting set up too. Last night we set aside money for all utilities, gas, pets, and groceries through the start of October. Rent will be paid using my credit card at first due to timing on paychecks. That budgeting includes putting a couple hundred dollars aside for when we find a higher yield short term savings account. This budgeting only includes current funds, not any of her future paychecks and not extra money b/w what rent is and what my paychecks are.

Oh, and we didn't eat out today. Feels drat good to be 22 and on top of this stuff. I feel like I've missed something that should be stressing me out financially.

Honestly, if you have the option to pay your rent with a credit card (and not pay additional fees) and you have access to a half-decent one, stay on that. You can rack up airline miles or just get cashback.