Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Ravenfood posted:

Save yourself the time and sanity and skip those fuckers.

I am - I'm most of the way through at this point and have only gone in the water when the plot demanded I do so. But then I am not obsessive about 100%ing any game, much less one this crazy big.

For my playstyle I found that doing every major side quest involving a named NPC, along with whatever contracts sounded interesting and whatever ?s I stumble across on the way to all those, was about the right amount of content for me, and also led to me more or less being the right level for each major main plot step (though even then I am usually 2-3 levels over what it suggests). I think there is literally no way to play this game without being overleveled most of the way. That also meant skipping Gwent (which I don't enjoy), horse racing, and boxing stuff, except for the first one of each of those. And also looking up where the Griffin recipes are because I wanted the full set.

JoshTheStampede fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jul 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Alasyre posted:

“Relax, you don’t have to be good at everything” definitely doesn't come off as controlling, though? Neither does "Calm down" for that matter. The others, I can understand.

Like I said, the right answers definitely play out better than the wrong ones, but by the time you find out you're a bad parent it's too late.

Nah, it comes off as dismissive and useless instead.

"You don't have to be good at everything" is a dumb platitude. Ciri specifically has to be good at this, or terrible poo poo happens. Why would you choose that over "I know how to cheer you up" or whatever the other option was when Ciri is specifically asking about that?

Ciri also had a right to be upset over Avallac'h.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The Sharmat posted:

Nah, it comes off as dismissive and useless instead.

"You don't have to be good at everything" is a dumb platitude. Ciri specifically has to be good at this, or terrible poo poo happens. Why would you choose that over "I know how to cheer you up" or whatever the other option was when Ciri is specifically asking about that?

Ciri also had a right to be upset over Avallac'h.

The first thing parents teach their kids is not to throw temper tantrums. Encouraging her to throw one is stupid.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Nothing wrong with a little venting when looking at a likely eventual betrayal by a dude that once tried to blackmail her into being an incubator for the King of a bunch of alien elves.

I mean it's not like Avallac'h wouldn't let her have a cookie. Instead he's blowing smoke up her rear end and getting her prepared to make this huge potentially fatal sacrifice while pretending to be her friend, and all the while it turns out he's just a weird obsessive creep that only cares about her due to her genes (which Ciri kinda has a bad history with) and the fact that she has his dead girlfriend's face on a disgusting dhoine body.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
Maybe true but I it is not immediately obvious that the option is shutting her down, I was expecting a more investigative line of dialogue rather than just trashing the place.

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice
New patch is up for PS4.

7.5GB. :eyepop:

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

MikeC posted:

Maybe true but I it is not immediately obvious that the option is shutting her down,

The options are "Calm down" and "Go for it". I thought it was pretty straightforward in that regard. Was surprised to learn that "Calm Down" somehow leads to stealing Lara Dorren's necklace though. I imagine Avallac'h is a lot more pissed about that than an overturned table, some scattered documents, and a portrait defaced with a beard and goatee by Yen.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Metanaut posted:

New patch is up for PS4.

Where's my pc patch ahhhhh I want to play!

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

hopterque posted:

Where's my pc patch ahhhhh I want to play!

:smug: Master Race indeed.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
7.2 GB patch on xbone now

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

moist turtleneck posted:

7.2 GB patch on xbone now

Mine zoomed pretty fast to 66% and has been sitting there for 15 minutes. I can start the game but can't load saves yet because it's still patching.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
where patch

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum

JoshTheStampede posted:

Mine zoomed pretty fast to 66% and has been sitting there for 15 minutes. I can start the game but can't load saves yet because it's still patching.

Mine screeched to snail speeds around 77, currently at 86 though so it is moving albeit slowly. Oh well, I needed to complete some crafting and quests on Earth as well today

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Metanaut posted:

New patch is up for PS4.

loving awesome. i stopped my playthrough before doing (what i think, at least) the last stuff in the game so i could have the motivation to truly enjoy a death march run

actually excited to start over especially now that i know way more about the game and what i should be doing.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
hah apparently all the witcher gear has had their level caps upped. mastercrafted stuff is on par with wolven now, level 34 requirement.

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
3 gigs out of 7.5 on my ps4. 55 minutes left. This is taking forever

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Red Suit posted:

Keep us posted.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Red Suit posted:

haha i'm 1.8 gigs in, 5 hours remaining. gently caress you.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Just restarted GOG Galaxy, no change. You'd think the patch would be out first on their own servers, but :pgi:

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice
Quick PS4 impressions :

- new movement is definitely better. Both Geralt and Roach are much easier to control. Instead of making a wide u-turn, they now turn faster etc.
- I really hate motion blur, so being able to turn it off is a huge plus (that option wasn't there before, right?)
- Inventory new auto-sort is nice, it's still slow to use though

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Metanaut posted:

- I really hate motion blur, so being able to turn it off is a huge plus (that option wasn't there before, right?)
It was. I'm sorry for your unnecessary headaches.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
I would love it if the patch would drop on GOG Galaxy in the next 40 minutes, so I can let it download while I'm at work. Then it's all-Witcher all weekend.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

OAquinas posted:

Just restarted GOG Galaxy, no change. You'd think the patch would be out first on their own servers, but :pgi:

Is the patch release even controlled by cdpr on those platforms? I'm guessing hey can request a date or something. But do they actually "push the button" for the release? I figured that was ultimately controlled by Sony / Microsoft.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
My download was stuck at 86% this whole time until I restarted my xbone. Try that if your stuff gets stuck.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
-Adds a Books tab to the Inventory panel.

Oh yes. I've only started playing Witcher 3 recently but after 30 hours I have way too many loving books to deal with.

e: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/the-witcher-3s-next-patch-arrives-very-soon/1100-6428980/ here's a supposed giant list of the patch notes

onesixtwo fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jul 17, 2015

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

onesixtwo posted:

Oh yes. I've only started playing Witcher 3 recently but after 30 hours I have way too many loving books to deal with.
:( I forgot this was coming in the patch and recently sold all my books. poo poo.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
So uhhh... I will admit it's been a while since I played but I'm toggling back and forth between the movement styles and nothing is jumping out at me as obvious. I will admit I don't always pick up on the subtler things in life... anyone care to enlighten?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

onesixtwo posted:

Holy poo poo, really? I won't have to scroll past an entire screen of books before I can access my bombs and potions?

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
Alternative movement

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
For people on really borderline rigs (like me), is there a noticeable performance improvement post patch?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Ah so it's really just (the very important) change of making sharper pivots instead of wide u-turns?

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Feenix posted:

Ah so it's really just (the very important) change of making sharper pivots instead of wide u-turns?

That and apparently he stops on a dime now here's a long video showcasing it start around 5:20

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aSmvmZsYAQ

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

The Sharmat posted:

For people on really borderline rigs (like me), is there a noticeable performance improvement post patch?

It's not out on pc yet so we don't know.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Poetic Justice posted:

That and apparently he stops on a dime now here's a long video showcasing it start around 5:20

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aSmvmZsYAQ

He stops about the same either way for me.

[edit] It's a known fact that the lock on is still total dog poo poo, right? I mean, I haven't played in a while... just making sure everyone is already well aware of this and I'm just not doing something wrong?

Lock onto one guy... kill him, it locks onto someone about 30 feet away as I try to spin around (slowwwwwwwly) while the guy at my 4 o'clock is hacking away at me...

Feenix fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jul 17, 2015

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Feenix posted:

He stops about the same either way for me.

around the 10m:10s mark shows the biggest improvement

Beeez
May 28, 2012
I've yet to receive this from Gamefly(don't judge me), is the alternate movement style worth switching over to from the get-go and never trying the other way? I do remember hearing people weren't fans of the movement of both Geralt or Roach.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Beeez posted:

I've yet to receive this from Gamefly(don't judge me), is the alternate movement style worth switching over to from the get-go and never trying the other way? I do remember hearing people weren't fans of the movement of both Geralt or Roach.

The game controls fine with the standard controls. Just try them both and pick whatever feels best. It was never a "fix" or anything just an option.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Kilometers Davis posted:

The game controls fine with the standard controls. Just try them both and pick whatever feels best. It was never a "fix" or anything just an option.

I've just done a running stop video and a quick direction change video and to be honest they do NOT feel different to me. I'm waiting for the youtube uploads to post here...

Stopping: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3o2gGND9Y4

Feenix fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jul 17, 2015

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
It takes a very insignificant amount of time to get comfortable with the default moving style. You might spend some time running into walls or missing a quick corner initially, but you very easily learn how to manage. Plus you'll usually be dodging / rolling in combat where quick movements are required anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The patch increased the level requirements for my cat set. This happen to anyone