Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

MJP posted:

The game development profession: spoofing gullible nerds since 1997

Pretty much. I got well, well out of that, and so did all of the coworkers I liked. 40% of average is scratching the surface of the poo poo that went on there.

Segmentation Fault posted:

The gaming industry is a loving shambles and 40% average sounds about right honestly. Give up your dreams. :smith:

I never really had a dream to be "a game designer", but stunningly that pittance was my :yotj: out of an IT job that was paying me 20k less than that. So baby steps? It ended up landing me with the six figures I have now, so I can't complain too much.

Sickening posted:

I am sure the CEO ate a lot of ramen.

He still posts on Reddit about how Bill Gates ruined computing and various libertarian :fap: opinions while bragging about his porsche.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

This sounds like a great way to have the printer spool freak out when someone tried to print a 300 page document and doesn't get there rear end up off the chair to actually go get it for 3 hours :v:

I mean, I guess if you have an MFP from the roaring 20s, sure. All of them have 40 GB hard drives at a minimum for storing documents/acting as light file servers/ftp functions, etc.

On top of that most of the poo poo ages off of the printer after a specified amount of time (usually configurable).

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

kensei posted:

One of our legacy companies has a similar name to an Australian ISP, and we just got an abuse complaint for them misdirected to us. I replied politely and told them who to contact. The classy response:

I don't even.

https://twitter.com/dril/status/473706394009759744

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
A fire came in.

:v:

(Nothing was damaged. So close :smith:)

A Frosty Witch fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jul 16, 2015

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

larchesdanrew posted:

A fire came in.

:v:

(Nothing was damaged. So close :smith:)

I refuse to believe that you have a real job. My running theory is that you're not even real, just some amalgam abomination resulting from the rest of the subforum's frustrations in the world of IT.

Because my brain won't let me accept the idea of people like your boss existing. Trust me, I work with some very... challenging people, but no one on that level.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Ursine Asylum posted:

Pretty much. I got well, well out of that, and so did all of the coworkers I liked. 40% of average is scratching the surface of the poo poo that went on there.

Still goes on there.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

Still goes on there.

Every once in awhile I get drunk with my coworkers, rant about the lack of revision control and any sort of testing, and wonder if they ever stopped using Sourcesafe.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

I refuse to believe that you have a real job. My running theory is that you're not even real, just some amalgam abomination resulting from the rest of the subforum's frustrations in the world of IT.

Because my brain won't let me accept the idea of people like your boss existing. Trust me, I work with some very... challenging people, but no one on that level.

I'm ITbitchbot 2.0. I'm basically an algorithm created by YOSPOS that combs through past ticket threads and pieces together stories from the most quoted posts. Please rate me in the app store!

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Plastic replaced sourcesafe. Nope, I didn't recognize it either.

Meanwhile my org has no IT department, but does have "a guy" who comes in for $100/hr.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

larchesdanrew posted:

I'm ITbitchbot 2.0. I'm basically an algorithm created by YOSPOS that combs through past ticket threads and pieces together stories from the most quoted posts. Please rate me in the app store!

5 stars, would purchase again.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
A ticket came in.

One of our third party support vendors sent a device to a location for replacement and we forgot to tell the location it was coming. Someone there contacted us first to confirm things were legitimate.

That'll do user, that'll do. :unsmith:

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Meanwhile my org has no IT department, but does have "a guy" who comes in for $100/hr.

Man I'd love to get $100/hr to come in and plug in people's monitors.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

larchesdanrew posted:

Not seen any rehash of the spec bucket incident so I don't believe you.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Plastic replaced sourcesafe. Nope, I didn't recognize it either.

I am a guy that comes in for $100/hour. I have a minimum of one hour, and charge for travel time.

For example. I just got back from a job where the client couldn't make copies on an Epson workforce printer. The paper type settings were incorrect.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Mo_Steel posted:

A ticket came in.

One of our third party support vendors sent a device to a location for replacement and we forgot to tell the location it was coming. Someone there contacted us first to confirm things were legitimate.

That'll do user, that'll do. :unsmith:

YOU BUY THAT LOCATION LUNCH AND YOU DO IT NOW.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
I found out one of our clients has a Windows 2000 server pc with a 40 gig hard drive as his only computing format and he backs up monthly to cds that have never been tested. :corsair:

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

nexxai posted:

YOU BUY THAT LOCATION LUNCH AND YOU DO IT NOW.

He's gonna send them a gift basket and get a call asking if it's legitimate.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Not a ticket per se...

But man it sure feels good for the Director, VP, and another VP to come talk to you and your coworker that the project you're working on, that we're killing it and he's very happy with our work.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Not a ticket per se...

But man it sure feels good for the Director, VP, and another VP to come talk to you and your coworker that the project you're working on, that we're killing it and he's very happy with our work.

Feels good don't it.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

quote:

I need to export my email out of my Office 365 account. I use a Mac and don't have access to a desktop version of Outlook. I need a solution that will allow me to easily export all Office 365 emails to a .csv file.
Uh, no. No, you don't. You don't need that.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

So after two years of waiting and and getting the runaround, we've finally got techs coming in to set up our virtual set. We've been waiting for this for a long time, and I'm super excited that it'll finally get up and running.

The GM has no forbidden me from being present during the setup and calibration process so that I can fuss with setting up an editor for sports that they never needed or asked for. Hell, this wasn't even a planned thing before yesterday and now it's got to be done by the end of the day for absolutely no reason.

Supervisor tells me that it doesn't need to be done today and he needs me helping with virtual. He told me if the GM gets mad, he'll go to bat for me.

I could almost stand to say a nice thing about him right now :3:

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

larchesdanrew posted:

So after two years of waiting and and getting the runaround, we've finally got techs coming in to set up our virtual set. We've been waiting for this for a long time, and I'm super excited that it'll finally get up and running.

The GM has no forbidden me from being present during the setup and calibration process so that I can fuss with setting up an editor for sports that they never needed or asked for. Hell, this wasn't even a planned thing before yesterday and now it's got to be done by the end of the day for absolutely no reason.

Supervisor tells me that it doesn't need to be done today and he needs me helping with virtual. He told me if the GM gets mad, he'll go to bat for me.

Get that in writing.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

larchesdanrew posted:

He told me if the GM gets mad, he'll go to bat for me.

OmniCorp
Oct 30, 2004

larchesdanrew posted:

A fire came in.

I saved these pics from an old job, filled whole DC with smoke as the fans never shut off. Used the pictures every time old boss said RAID = backup.

Also an email went out..

quote:

Shawn,

I killed the generator hornets again. Cameras are back up. Only half of the POE switch is dead.

OmniCorp fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jul 17, 2015

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Why the gently caress do so many of our clients insist on having new hires come in on Friday afternoons? With no notice.

And I don't mean "We need to set up the accounts for this person to start on Monday" new hire stuff. I mean "This person is standing next to me why isn't their computer ready?"

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Day 1 post-raise bomb. I have had to futz around with keyboards, move non-critical equipment from an almost-empty rack into a rack with some room so Mr. Almost-Empty could be used for our downstairs move in September, been given a new laptop to configure, and other stuff that exists in the world of the combined helpdesk/sysadmin.

No word has been mentioned from my boss. Resisting the temptation to make use of the Google Apps vault to spy on emails. That poo poo gets audited anyhoo.

Our line-of-business application doesn't display something correctly after we pushed a new version of the virtual desktop with a current version of Chrome, to block all that new poo poo Hackingteam found. I can't wait to refuse to roll it back.

One recruiter for a pretty decent position that would have resulted in a pay cut called me back, Google Voice transcription said they might be looking to move forward with me. Gonna wait until the boss leaves to call them back.

Who knows, maybe they'll come back with that miracle boat-buyin' number, or maybe I'll YotJ before they come back with a raise offer. If they do at all.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I mean, I guess if you have an MFP from the roaring 20s, sure. All of them have 40 GB hard drives at a minimum for storing documents/acting as light file servers/ftp functions, etc.

On top of that most of the poo poo ages off of the printer after a specified amount of time (usually configurable).
We were told the Samsung printers we're getting now (not MFPs, granted) come with 64 MEG of onboard storage, and if we wanted more we had to buy the HD upgrade kit. Where the hell is Samsung even finding 64M RAM chips nowadays, anyway?

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Knormal posted:

We were told the Samsung printers we're getting now (not MFPs, granted) come with 64 MEG of onboard storage, and if we wanted more we had to buy the HD upgrade kit. Where the hell is Samsung even finding 64M RAM chips nowadays, anyway?

Sounds like you're getting consumer grade pigshit. Sorry, boss. :(

On the bright side the Samsung Laser offerings I've seen have all been very solid.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Inspector_666 posted:

Why the gently caress do so many of our clients insist on having new hires come in on Friday afternoons? With no notice.

And I don't mean "We need to set up the accounts for this person to start on Monday" new hire stuff. I mean "This person is standing next to me why isn't their computer ready?"

Holy poo poo I used to deal with this all the time when I was doing deployments for new users. Once at 9am on a Tuesday, the company of engineers we support had two new hires just standing there, with an admin assistant asking me where their computers were.

I could set up the AD and email accounts easily and quickly enough, but I had no computers for them, no phones. They'd gotten these two to agree to a salary at like 5pm Monday, and Tuesday morning they reported in.

HR didn't even know about it which allowed me to pull the "no accounts will be created until I get official notice from HR" card, but this was like the third time they'd done this in the last couple of months.

And for whatever reason when a company would hire a temp, HR did not send out a notice because of some breakdown in procedure/notification process, so it happened this way with them all the time. If the temp was just an AA, I could handle it pretty quickly by giving them a crap PC but if it was an architect or engineer who needed Revit/autocad/indesign/bluebeam/rhino and who knows what else, they might be standing around drinking coffee for a long time.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Tuesday at least kind of makes sense. I just don't at all understand the process behind "Yeah come in for a couple of hours on Friday afternoon, that'll be a good first exposure to the company."

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I understand, and I agree with you.

What you said reminded me of this belief shared universally by all our client companies that the (at the time) one-man helpdesk/deployment/sysadmin department could just magically poo poo out a PC for a new user with zero advance notice. And do it regularly.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Sounds like you're getting consumer grade pigshit. Sorry, boss. :(
The consumer grade Samsung colour laser we have at home has more than that on-board and it was the cheapest model they had 4 years ago, so I'd love to know where the 64MB models come from

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Most likely a skip

dox
Mar 4, 2006

Ursine Asylum posted:

Man I'd love to get $100/hr to come in and plug in people's monitors.

Open a "Managed Services Provider" business!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I think we do MSP wrong because it's less "come and help us solve a problem while your helpdesk team ensures business as usual for our staff" and more "we pay you to support us so that means we are going to keep poo poo running for 8 years and lol no of course there's no investment money".

Unless that is every MSP and the end game is just to divert as much cash as possible out of each client before they get bored and move to the next provider because it's unreasonable to be told to upgrade your poo poo.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Thanks Ants posted:

I think we do MSP wrong because it's less "come and help us solve a problem while your helpdesk team ensures business as usual for our staff" and more "we pay you to support us so that means we are going to keep poo poo running for 8 years and lol no of course there's no investment money".

Unless that is every MSP and the end game is just to divert as much cash as possible out of each client before they get bored and move to the next provider because it's unreasonable to be told to upgrade your poo poo.

Nope, it's not every MSP. You're doing it wrong.

Contracts have obligations for both parties. Sounds like either one side isn't living up to them, in which case they are in breach so you suspend service (while still being paid). Or your sales and legal team seriously hosed you over when drawing up the contracts.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
MSPing owns if you have clients who actually trust your judgement

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

We do initial projects as T&M and then charge a flat rate for ongoing support. This keeps the incentives in the right place for everyone. We want to keep everything working and the clients don't want to pay more when things are broken. You have to have a good relationship with the clients for this to work.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

larchesdanrew posted:

As I've learned in corporate:

Get it in writing or people will use any excuse they can to gently caress you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

What's the best place to look for job postings these days?

• Locked thread