Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FraudulentEconomics
Oct 14, 2007

Pst...

reagan posted:

What do you guys think of this monitor? I plan on building a gaming PC in September. Not going to overclock anything, will run games at 1920x1080. Don't care too much about maximizing FPS. I've had a Dell 1708FP monitor for over 10 years, and aside from the atrocious vertical viewing angle I have been pretty happy with it, but it is finally time to upgrade to a decent widescreen monitor.

http://www.amazon.com/Asus-VG248QE-...LED-Lit+Monitor

In recalling what I've read in this thread, it's a TN so know what you're getting with that. Next up, it's 1080p and I'm assuming you're only doing this monitor, so I want to say if you're planning anything over a GTX 970 or equivalent, you're probably wasting money unless you're looking to up yourself to 1440 or UHD. I'm in an awkward position myself because I do color sensitive graphics work but like to game. So I am mostly restricted to IPS panels. Gamers have a lot more freedom, and honestly just do your research and due diligence regarding the monitors you like.

That being said, it's no ROG but it certainly looks like it'd be a fine gaming monitor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Haha, the Dell U3415W has another promo code for 10% off till the 20th.

Just got mine in and it's pretty sweet. My LG 34UM95 is literally perfect for backlight bleed (the Dell has some if I specifically look for it on an all black screen), it's a bit more matte for better or worse, but everything else is in the Dell's favor. The curve is nice unless you're making out with it (don't judge, you would too), the OSD is much more responsive, I swear the contrast is higher, and the stand alone is worth the $50 difference I paid. The LG has nicer inputs for mac users but the Dell has much better for PC. Both are fantastic mixed-use screens, though, and 3440x1440 is a fantastic res for usability.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I plan to play BF4 too but there is no way my PC can reach 144fps on max settings. It should be about 90fps. Does that mean 144hz is useless for me?

Should have very low input lag, and a monitor will last a good bit longer than the computer not doing 144 Hz will. Buy monitors based on the next five years or so of use, not just what you have now.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

reagan posted:

What do you guys think of this monitor? I plan on building a gaming PC in September. Not going to overclock anything, will run games at 1920x1080. Don't care too much about maximizing FPS. I've had a Dell 1708FP monitor for over 10 years, and aside from the atrocious vertical viewing angle I have been pretty happy with it, but it is finally time to upgrade to a decent widescreen monitor.

http://www.amazon.com/Asus-VG248QE-...LED-Lit+Monitor

If you don't care a lot about max FPS and whatnot I would get a Dell P2414H or U2414H, both have great color and viewing angles.

DeceasedHorse
Nov 11, 2005
So I'm thinking of replacing my Korean Special (non-oveclockable 1440 IPS). Is G-sync+ a higher refresh rate on the the Asus/Acer 144z gsync models worth it relative to, say, the Dell or LG ultrawides, primarily for gaming?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

DeceasedHorse posted:

So I'm thinking of replacing my Korean Special (non-oveclockable 1440 IPS). Is G-sync+ a higher refresh rate on the the Asus/Acer 144z gsync models worth it relative to, say, the Dell or LG ultrawides, primarily for gaming?

If it's pure gaming, I'd say go for it. If it's mixed use I'd consider an ultrawide.

If you're really sensitive to frame rate or play twitch games I'd still say *sync.

Also, is this replacing or will you still have the other screen? I'd say an ultrawide is the smallest no compromise setup possible for desktop use (although I have a 2560x1440 off the side of my 3440x1440 at home and do like having both, that's partly because a few things I do have a huge working set of programs). Two windows is pretty key and some programs or adding a messaging app or something on the side gets real narrow on a 2560x1440. If you're keeping the other screen, that'll be fine for stuff you check rarely.

DeceasedHorse
Nov 11, 2005

xthetenth posted:

If it's pure gaming, I'd say go for it. If it's mixed use I'd consider an ultrawide.

If you're really sensitive to frame rate or play twitch games I'd still say *sync.

Also, is this replacing or will you still have the other screen? I'd say an ultrawide is the smallest no compromise setup possible for desktop use (although I have a 2560x1440 off the side of my 3440x1440 at home and do like having both, that's partly because a few things I do have a huge working set of programs). Two windows is pretty key and some programs or adding a messaging app or something on the side gets real narrow on a 2560x1440. If you're keeping the other screen, that'll be fine for stuff you check rarely.

I currently have a the YAMAKASI CATLEAP as my main monitor with an aging 27" 1080 Hanns G as my secondary; I don't think I'd want to go back to having a single monitor ever again. I was thinking of keeping the YAMAKASI CATLEAP, and whatever the new monitor ends up being, and donating the Hanns G to my parents. I guess I'll have to make sure I can actually fit a 34" and and a 27" on the computer desk, in addition to the trade-off between refresh rate/ g-sync and size.

I just got a 980 Ti so I'm locked into NVIDIA for now, unfortunately, and the +/- $200 for gsync hurts. Wish I could see them in person somehow, but the Fry's nearby has display models with gsync connected to computers without any games on them, so that hasn't been to useful.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Am I just the gooniest goon ever for not being able to stand a side-by-side dual monitor setup because of the asymmetry of the "main" desktop display being off to the left side instead of the center, or when it's in the center, the right monitor is there and there's nothing to the left of the main monitor? Do any of you guys use two monitors positioned vertically? How does it help you manage your crippling GoonOCD?

I wonder how a 21:9 would look as the main desktop centered under a regular 16:9 display.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

GreatGreen posted:

Am I just the gooniest goon ever for not being able to stand a side-by-side dual monitor setup because of the asymmetry of the "main" desktop display being off to the left side instead of the center, or when it's in the center, the right monitor is there and there's nothing to the left of the main monitor? Do any of you guys use two monitors positioned vertically? How does it help you manage your crippling GoonOCD?

I wonder how a 21:9 would look as the main desktop centered under a regular 16:9 display.

I did the side by side thing for a few years and it hurt my neck because I was never facing forward.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

signalnoise posted:

I did the side by side thing for a few years and it hurt my neck because I was never facing forward.

Yeah, in normal use I use the 34" in the center and a really skinny skype window on the 27" right of it. Only when I'm using a huge working set do I put much on the 27".

Twin 27" is uncomfortable to use both of over long stretches of time, 34" ultrawide is considerably nicer for three programs.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Erm so what's the current wisdom on the QNIX to buy? Single input obviously, but glossy or matte? One of them had a newer crappier panel that doesn't overclock, but I can't remember which.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Paul MaudDib posted:

Erm so what's the current wisdom on the QNIX to buy? Single input obviously, but glossy or matte? One of them had a newer crappier panel that doesn't overclock, but I can't remember which.

True10 has the poo poo panel. Anything multi-input is also trash.

Matte or glossy is preference. They are completely identical except the matte displays have an anti glare coating over the panel.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

BurritoJustice posted:

Matte or glossy is preference. They are completely identical except the matte displays have an anti glare coating over the panel.

That used to be the case, but either the matte or the glossy types got an upgrade and isn't overclocking worth a poo poo, even with the single input non-True10 model. The other type is still the old, original panel. I just don't remember which is which.

e: It looks like the Glossy has the new panel.

e2: And also apparently even the mattes now have PWM backlighting which looks like flickering. Apparently the "Crossover 2795" is now the cheapass monitor to have.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jul 17, 2015

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

xthetenth posted:

Haha, the Dell U3415W has another promo code for 10% off till the 20th.

What is the promo code / how much did you pay?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Etrips posted:

What is the promo code / how much did you pay?

$810 @ newegg with the code DELLSPONSOR

It's a real nice screen.

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I
I have a mono price zero-g monitor that seems to have poo poo the bed. I can't get anything to display on it, the backlight turns on and the led goes blue but no image appears. I've tried it with a DL-DVI to display port adapter, a DL-DVI to HDMi and three separate macs. I've also replaced the dvi cable itself and the power supply. Is there anything I'm missing? It's barely a year old. :(

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Acer's new 34" monitor looks like it boasts some decent response time for an IPS with several inputs:
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/content/acer_xr341ck.htm#lag

Way ahead of the Dell and LG at least.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Very nice. I could've sworn the Dell had a better input lag than that from other reviews, but that Acer is dead on for a non 100+Hz panel.

Awesome_Tool
Dec 10, 2008
Man those Acer monitors look really really cool! If they werent made by Acer!

(Got conned into buying the xb270hu, a month after waiting for a replacement, i got it refunded) Thanks for the customer escalation team Acer they did nothing!

Sad thing is I really want a decent 144hz 1440p monitor, to replace my 10yr old Dell 2405!

p.s. the xb270hu had severe back light bleed

p.p.s not totally a Acer thing most of the current ips/curved/144hz monitor are fairly bad for BLB

Awesome_Tool fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jul 17, 2015

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Yeah, for my use *Sync, 75 Hz and good input lag are all pretty big positives.

Thing is, being made by Acer instead of Dell or LG is a huge downside.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Awesome_Tool posted:

Man those Acer monitors look really really cool! If they werent made by Acer!

(Got conned into buying the xb270hu, a month after waiting for a replacement, i got it refunded) Thanks for the customer escalation team Acer they did nothing!

Sad thing is I really want a decent 144hz 1440p monitor, to replace my 10yr old Dell 2405!

p.s. the xb270hu had severe back light bleed

p.p.s not totally a Acer thing most of the current ips/curved/144hz monitor are fairly bad for BLB

That's odd, the anecdata I've seen around here and elsewhere is that bad pixels or dust was far more common than backlight bleeding on the XB270hu.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Gwaihir posted:

That's odd, the anecdata I've seen around here and elsewhere is that bad pixels or dust was far more common than backlight bleeding on the XB270hu.

Backlight bleeding seems pretty common especially on newer screens. Apparently the 34UM95 and U3415W both had some nasty bleed issues in their first versions but mine are great. The more gaming oriented screens seem like they are a bit more prone than the prosumer ones. All from anecdata of course, so mileage may vary.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

xthetenth posted:

Yeah, for my use *Sync, 75 Hz and good input lag are all pretty big positives.

Thing is, being made by Acer instead of Dell or LG is a huge downside.

I am going to wait until these things are out in the wild. I have a suspicion that the review samples are subject to much stricter QC than the mass release to market.

E: is there a site out there that will only review product off the store shelf instead of hand picked displays from the manufacturer?

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jul 17, 2015

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I'd buy Dell monitors all day long if they didn't absolutely refuse to put any coat on them other than 12 layers of the thickest anti-glare color destroying matte finish possible.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

xthetenth posted:

Backlight bleeding seems pretty common especially on newer screens. Apparently the 34UM95 and U3415W both had some nasty bleed issues in their first versions but mine are great. The more gaming oriented screens seem like they are a bit more prone than the prosumer ones. All from anecdata of course, so mileage may vary.

I think it's an especially bad issue for the 34" Ultrawides vs monitors in general. (Also my U3014 had waaaay worse bleed than the Acer, but that's also anecdata and I think it was a pretty bad example regardless).

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Gwaihir posted:

I think it's an especially bad issue for the 34" Ultrawides vs monitors in general. (Also my U3014 had waaaay worse bleed than the Acer, but that's also anecdata and I think it was a pretty bad example regardless).

My 34UM95 has so little that I need a dark room to see it with a camera, and my U3415W has more but it takes a dark room to see a bit on the edges, so ultrawides can definitely get very nice. I've seen early adopters get some nasty ones, but I've also seen some guys get multiple 2560x1440 gaming screens in a row with bad bleed, not just brightness practically on the bezel.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Trip report update: My xb270hu manufactured May 2015 does have some bleed but I had to turn all the lights off at night to notice it. During the day or with lights on it's barely perceptible. Mostly in the top right and left corners.

Still have 1 stuck red pixel that I can't seem to fix.

CS:GO at native res 144 FPS is interesting. When I first started playing with this new monitor my hit reg seemed completely off and I was missing a ton more than usual, but after a week I'm starting to get to arena 1 much more consistently on AIM 1v1 maps. It actually feels better clicking heads and getting the HS somehow, more satisfying, hard to describe.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

d3rt posted:

CS:GO at native res 144 FPS is interesting. When I first started playing with this new monitor my hit reg seemed completely off and I was missing a ton more than usual, but after a week I'm starting to get to arena 1 much more consistently on AIM 1v1 maps. It actually feels better clicking heads and getting the HS somehow, more satisfying, hard to describe.

FWIW there's been discussion of hitreg just being off in general the past two weeks - some dev spoke about it on the CS:GO subreddit even.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
loving valve. so I've just trained myself to be good at a broken system, and so when they 'fix' it I'm going to be poo poo again and have to re-learn a third time...

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

If you don't care a lot about max FPS and whatnot I would get a Dell P2414H or U2414H, both have great color and viewing angles.

Thanks for the heads up. The U2414H is a decent price with my student discount + Dell coupon.

FraudulentEconomics posted:

In recalling what I've read in this thread, it's a TN so know what you're getting with that. Next up, it's 1080p and I'm assuming you're only doing this monitor, so I want to say if you're planning anything over a GTX 970 or equivalent, you're probably wasting money unless you're looking to up yourself to 1440 or UHD. I'm in an awkward position myself because I do color sensitive graphics work but like to game. So I am mostly restricted to IPS panels. Gamers have a lot more freedom, and honestly just do your research and due diligence regarding the monitors you like.

That being said, it's no ROG but it certainly looks like it'd be a fine gaming monitor.

What do you think of the Dell monitor mentioned above? I don't know much about the different panels, but I'll have to read up on it as some screens give me severe headaches for whatever reason.

reagan fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jul 17, 2015

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

reagan posted:

Thanks for the heads up. The U2414H is a decent price with my student discount + Dell coupon.

What do you think of the Dell monitor mentioned above? I don't know much about the different panels, but I'll have to read up on it as some screens give me severe headaches for whatever reason.

That might be due to PWM backlights that some screens use, this causes a subtle flicker that can be really hard on the eyes, the U2414H and P2414H do not have PWM backlights.

Her a review of the U2414H.

mysteryberto
Apr 25, 2006
IIAM

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

That might be due to PWM backlights that some screens use, this causes a subtle flicker that can be really hard on the eyes, the U2414H and P2414H do not have PWM backlights.

Her a review of the U2414H.

We have a ton of these at work. They look great and have excellent image quality. The older revisions such as A01 have a nasty issue where they will lose DisplayPort connection and you have to remove the power cable and reattach it for the monitor to recognize input. Probably occurs about once a month and the issue is very intermittent. Reportedly this issue is resolved in A03 models.

If you want to learn more google "dell u2414h display port issue"

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Four measures of cheap Vodka combined with a bottle of Bawls
Lipstick Apathy

d3rt posted:

loving valve. so I've just trained myself to be good at a broken system, and so when they 'fix' it I'm going to be poo poo again and have to re-learn a third time...

It wouldn't be cs without hilariously broken hit boxes at literally any given point in the games history.

FraudulentEconomics
Oct 14, 2007

Pst...

reagan posted:

We also have a shitload of U2414H's at my university and they're by far the nicest screens we have. They're smallish (if you care about having a super large monitor 27+) but for multiple monitor setups or just general good looks, they're hard to beat. Good color, good price, easy to put places (we have a ton mounted in thoroughfare areas). Prior to seeing how they worked in portrait (I took one of our dual setups at work and set them both portrait), I was dead set on them but I didn't like how they looked like that and I did more reading into higher resolution screens. I've got my eyes set on a fairly well priced 4k 27 incher IPS seen here.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Nice deal on Dell P2314H 23" monitors today on newegg, $159.99 with promo code EMCAVKW23.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax
Wow. I prefer the look of the U2414H, but that is a crazy good deal.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

FraudulentEconomics posted:

We also have a shitload of U2414H's at my university and they're by far the nicest screens we have. They're smallish (if you care about having a super large monitor 27+) but for multiple monitor setups or just general good looks, they're hard to beat. Good color, good price, easy to put places (we have a ton mounted in thoroughfare areas). Prior to seeing how they worked in portrait (I took one of our dual setups at work and set them both portrait), I was dead set on them but I didn't like how they looked like that and I did more reading into higher resolution screens. I've got my eyes set on a fairly well priced 4k 27 incher IPS seen here.

I'd go for the Dell P2715Q instead. Acer isn't that great a brand.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Hey, remember what basic monitors were like 5 years ago?

I just scored a mint-looking Samsung SyncMaster B2240 for a bargain. The IT support stickers on it are dated April '11 and the retailer had 8 or 9 identical used ones in stock, so I'm assuming it's just gathered dust in some recently killed IT department's spare stock up until now. Anyone know if these have a history of suddenly falling apart?

FraudulentEconomics
Oct 14, 2007

Pst...

Paul MaudDib posted:

I'd go for the Dell P2715Q instead. Acer isn't that great a brand.

It's an ASUS, not Acer. I know good and well to avoid Acers at all costs.

Edit: Also, it loos like the Asus responds better, has better color, and has better grey to grey (I'm doing color sensitive graphics work so those are the attributes I really care about).

FraudulentEconomics fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jul 19, 2015

StonedogJones
Mar 13, 2006
i think i am going to jump on the 34" dell deal at newegg for $800. as someone who has never worried about monitor specs (i am using a 8 year old dell 24" 1920x1200, 12ms response time) can someone tell me that the U3415W will be a huge improvement and will be fine for games such as Elite Dangerous and the new Doom game when it comes out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

StonedogJones posted:

i think i am going to jump on the 34" dell deal at newegg for $800. as someone who has never worried about monitor specs (i am using a 8 year old dell 24" 1920x1200, 12ms response time) can someone tell me that the U3415W will be a huge improvement and will be fine for games such as Elite Dangerous and the new Doom game when it comes out?

I'm playing Alien Isolation on mine right now and it's totally sweet. I doubt those games will be the sort of millisecond twitch game where slightly higher input lag would be a deal breaker (and honestly good luck getting that to matter compared to my reflexes).

Regarding resolution:

The black is 1920x1200. It's a huge jump.