Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Tomn posted:

Hey, it's a fine warhammer for use in an infantry battle. In a pinch it could be used on horseback, no problem. But how's he going to reach anything from the back of a giant gryphon when the wings and whatnot are in the way of his swing? About the only time he'll be able to bash heads once he's mounted is in midair, clobbering enemy riders off during mid-air passes which is admittedly sweet but not exactly a common occurrence.

:commissar:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Tomn posted:

About the only time he'll be able to bash heads once he's mounted is in midair, clobbering enemy riders off during mid-air passes which is admittedly sweet but not exactly a common occurrence.

Your thinking should have stopped here. This is Warhammer.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

How did they even manage to make that cinematic?

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
I love how the celestial orders battle magical revolves around well, slamming celestial objects into terrestrial objects. Most :black101: application of astronomy every.

When they say something isn't a planet, you stop arguing about what is and isn't a planet. :orks:

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Obviously the giant griffin can do upside down flybys so the dude can hit things with his hammer. Duh!

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
It OBVIOUSLY has a telescopic handle. Smgdh..

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
it's a heresy-seeking hammer and it's flying straight at Tomm's head

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Nuclear War posted:

Karl Franz does NOT have a tiny warhammer

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
My number one biggest wish for this game is a return to the older character screen. It was very readable and you could see at a glance your character's traits and loyalty/dread/authority. It made for much more memorable campaigns--one of my fondest video game memories centers around The Adventures of Charles the Retard, an English Prince who had some trait like Simpleminded or something. I kept trying and failing to suicide him in battles and eventually he became my highest-dread general. Rome 2 and Shogun were prettier games but the character screen is so bad I have no idea who has what traits, just what they're good at in terms of fighting. Having a Sneaky Guy is way less memorable than having an invincible retard on horesback drive your enemies before you in terror.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Sharzak posted:

My number one biggest wish for this game is a return to the older character screen. It was very readable and you could see at a glance your character's traits and loyalty/dread/authority. It made for much more memorable campaigns--one of my fondest video game memories centers around The Adventures of Charles the Retard, an English Prince who had some trait like Simpleminded or something. I kept trying and failing to suicide him in battles and eventually he became my highest-dread general. Rome 2 and Shogun were prettier games but the character screen is so bad I have no idea who has what traits, just what they're good at in terms of fighting. Having a Sneaky Guy is way less memorable than having an invincible retard on horesback drive your enemies before you in terror.

This happened to me with Prince Mikhail, who eventually became Dread Tsar of all Russias. He was so scary that I once saw a unit break before his bodyguard even managed to actually start hitting them in the charge. The man waded across oceans of slaughtered prisoners and sacked Paris while I was trying to get him killed, only to become the greatest of Tsars. Those were good times.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Sharzak posted:

I think I ruined a lot of generals/kings reputations by constantly executing all captured PoWs after running down 1000+ men with my cavalry. Max dread, homie.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Sharzak posted:

I tried to imagine what a retarded, highly feared, violent medieval general would look like, and it basically ends up being an Ork Warboss.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Tomn posted:

Hey, it's a fine warhammer for use in an infantry battle. In a pinch it could be used on horseback, no problem. But how's he going to reach anything from the back of a giant gryphon when the wings and whatnot are in the way of his swing? About the only time he'll be able to bash heads once he's mounted is in midair, clobbering enemy riders off during mid-air passes which is admittedly sweet but not exactly a common occurrence.

I don't think you understand this setting :colbert:

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Zaodai posted:

I tried to imagine what a retarded, highly feared, violent medieval general would look like, and it basically ends up being an Ork Warboss.

Ork Warbosses are usually far from retarded. They may not possess sophisticated language skills, but are pretty clever.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Skandranon posted:

Ork Warbosses are usually far from retarded. They may not possess sophisticated language skills, but are pretty clever.

So is a retarded general that apparently keeps destroying every army placed in front of him. My point is ultimately that in mannerisms and actions, he ends up being an Ork. Violent scary retard fits them amazingly well. Even they don't know how their own poo poo works.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl

SirPhoebos posted:

I don't think you understand this setting :colbert:

which setting?
See what I did there? *weeps quietly*

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It was pretty cool how if you used your general a lot he'd go from "battle hardened" "scarred" and everything else that gave him +hitpoints and morale until he became crippled and traumatized and receding in quality.

was that a vanilla thing or a stainless steel?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

That was stainless steel. My gay, cripple, atheist prince ended up having more hit points than some whole units from repeated suicide charges. Best king the Spanish ever had.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Tomn posted:

You know, while that trailer was cool and all, if I'm being honest seeing Karl Franz on top of that gryphon swinging a tiny little warhammer around just raises logistical issues in my mind. What exactly does he DO on there besides telling the gryphon what to do? Seems like the only time the warhammer will come into play is during very specific moves against other aerial enemies.
If those aerial enemies are a major threat to his army, then clearly worth it is it. He'd look very silly too if he jumped off his gryphon unto a wyvern's back to smash its rider head right off, only to find he had left his hammer at home.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

If those aerial enemies are a major threat to his army, then clearly worth it is it. He'd look very silly too if he jumped off his gryphon unto a wyvern's back to smash its rider head right off, only to find he had left his hammer at home.

Also, against people he can't reach with the hammer, I'm pretty sure that's what the murderous gryphon is for. "You must be this tall to be worth being hit with my awesome hammer."

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Fly closer so I can hit it with my hammer !

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition

Nuclear War posted:

which setting?
See what I did there? *weeps quietly*

You son of a bitch. *stoic single tear*

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Pimpmust posted:

Morgan and his bad rear end... veteran uncle? They had a great thing going on. Something about crows never going hungry.

And pretty sure that ancienct necromancer king was supposed to be Nagash until GW stepped in (nothing like driving a Steam tank over notNagash).

Yeah, specifically the quote goes like "the crows never lose" (and also "another battle finished (or was it "done" or something?), and the crows are dining well again") since regardless of who wins a battle, the crows have corpses to eat. And considering one of the bosses you fought was "the Hand of Nagash" the thing about the "Dread King" originally supposed to be Nagash himself sounds believable. Regardless, whatever the case, none of this changes that Morgan Bernhardt was an awesome badass mercenary commander with a sarcastic streak. And his mentor Claus was plenty sarcastic himself when appropriate. Some mayor who's town they just saved "how can we ever repay you!?" Claus: "how can you repay us? I'll give you a hint, they glitter and fill purses"(pretty sure that's not an exact quote and there's a third thing in there, but you get the idea). And squashing people with a steam tank never gets old.

Also, that trailer is indeed awesome.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Tomn posted:

It's not just a fine warhammer, it's Ghal-Maraz, the warhammer used by Sigmar himself. Thing's magicked up the wazoo, man.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Shadow of the horned rat is the hardest loving game in existence.

Also, I'm getting some pretty good vibes from that trailer. You could tell from the Rome 2 trailers and other pre-release media that something was wrong, not really getting that sense from the Warhammer edition.

Not that it matters, no point pretending I'm not gonna buy it no matter how poo poo it looks

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

terrorist ambulance posted:

Shadow of the horned rat is the hardest loving game in existence.

Also, I'm getting some pretty good vibes from that trailer. You could tell from the Rome 2 trailers and other pre-release media that something was wrong, not really getting that sense from the Warhammer edition.

Not that it matters, no point pretending I'm not gonna buy it no matter how poo poo it looks

rome 2 looked like an engine enhancement where they forgot the fun, even early on. Which is a drat shame because Shogun 2 ended on such a high note with that awesome DLC

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
They literally needed to reskin Shogun two with big shields and red / purple armor and they had a Game of the Year. Instead they focused on poo poo like ensuring that every guy in every unit has its own face, in a game where 95% of the time you're zoomed out way too far to realize that your units are even human beings. Rarely before and probably not ever since has a developer ever missed the point of its own game so badly

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Oh Sigmar my erection! I can only hope the actual game is half as good.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:
It was nice to see Comet of Casandora make an appearance, let's hope Final Transmutation (turns units into gold statues, makes their allies stupid from gold fever), Purple Sun of Xereus (a black hole) or The Dwellers Below (self-explanatory) show up as army wrecking balls too.

There's so many different kinds of shooty, stabby and debuffs/buffs to pick and choose from the magic lores. I hope the latter make it into the game even if they seem a little more subtle. There's nothing subtle about elite troops or giant monsters folding like wet noodles to peasant soldiers. All the more incentive to drop a rock/cannonball onto pointy hats.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

terrorist ambulance posted:

They literally needed to reskin Shogun two with big shields and red / purple armor and they had a Game of the Year. Instead they focused on poo poo like ensuring that every guy in every unit has its own face, in a game where 95% of the time you're zoomed out way too far to realize that your units are even human beings. Rarely before and probably not ever since has a developer ever missed the point of its own game so badly

The important thing is giving the sides unique traits, like undead being relatively slow but unbreakable, orcs having infighting and Waaagh! morale poo poo, and dwarfs not having cavalry but being a virtual brick wall. Asymmetrical balance is what'll make it real GotY and not a shitgame wasted opportunity where zombies are sprinting away from fights after their morale breaks or whatever other dumb crap.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Lassitude posted:

The important thing is giving the sides unique traits, like undead being relatively slow but unbreakable, orcs having infighting and Waaagh! morale poo poo, and dwarfs not having cavalry but being a virtual brick wall. Asymmetrical balance is what'll make it real GotY and not a shitgame wasted opportunity where zombies are sprinting away from fights after their morale breaks or whatever other dumb crap.

I'd imagine a lot of the sides traits could probably be drawn from the tabletop rules themselves, since morale and such are already a big part of that game. They have already mentioned that orcs have a specific Waaagh! mechanic for the campaign, which is something like they get a bonus the longer they're at war, so orcs are probably going to be all about declaring war, pushing yourself to the limit, then only breaking off when you're literally incapable of fighting anyone anymore.

Yggdrassil
Mar 11, 2012

RAKANISHU!

toasterwarrior posted:

If the trailer features Karl Franz, I hope this means we get trailers for the other faction leaders, so we get to hear Grimgor yelling at his Waaagh! about how all their muckin' about is pissing him off and how they can make it up to him by stomping the enemy flat like right and proppa Orcs :orks101:

Also where the gently caress is the blood don't do this man come on

Reeeally looking forward to the Orc's speech :P

Also, Blood DLC mate. I think it's probably happening, as lame as it sounds :

***Video added to OP***

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
It is lame but I can understand CA's reasoning behind it. This way Gamespot employees don't have to age check and Wal-Mart will carry it. More exposer.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

nnniiice

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Yggdrassil posted:

Reeeally looking forward to the Orc's speech :P

Also, Blood DLC mate. I think it's probably happening, as lame as it sounds :

***Video added to OP***

Well, if it's Grimgor, it'll probably start with him punting a Goblin into the distance and then yelling at everyone else to Orc the gently caress up before they're next.

Also, yeah, probably Blood DLC. Understandable of course; can't blame a businessman for not wanting to limit his exposure to the market, but considering this is a fictional universe that revels in its bloodthirst, it's kinda lame for them to not go hogwild on dudes getting brutally murdered from the get-go.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

holy crap.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

One thing I always liked in the fluff about good 'ole Karl Franz is that while he's a pretty good fighter and he has, you know, the Warhammer the setting is named for, his real strength was always as a politician and general rather than a warrior. He was the dude who could keep the crazy not HRE together, find compromises to prevent religious and political schism, and get the troops he needed where he needed them and keep them fed and funded.

Then they turned him into a boring super saiyan or something in the End Times.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
Here's a Cool Post by CA on what "in-engine cinematic" means, and what other kinds of trailers they'll be doing. Also mentions we'll see the Blackfire Pass video on the 30th.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Night10194 posted:

One thing I always liked in the fluff about good 'ole Karl Franz is that while he's a pretty good fighter and he has, you know, the Warhammer the setting is named for, his real strength was always as a politician and general rather than a warrior. He was the dude who could keep the crazy not HRE together, find compromises to prevent religious and political schism, and get the troops he needed where he needed them and keep them fed and funded.

Then they turned him into a boring super saiyan or something in the End Times.

The empire having a mythic super hammer was actually added later to cement the Empire as the main characters of the game. The setting was actually named for the Harald Hammerstorm miniature, which was eventually redesigned a dark Norscan equivalent to Sigmar. His whole thing was uniting the tribes of the Chaos Wastes without serving a Chaos God, and being so good at killing undead that they actually feared him. Naturally he was killed with no fanfare during the End Times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Terrible Opinions posted:

The empire having a mythic super hammer was actually added later to cement the Empire as the main characters of the game. The setting was actually named for the Harald Hammerstorm miniature, which was eventually redesigned a dark Norscan equivalent to Sigmar. His whole thing was uniting the tribes of the Chaos Wastes without serving a Chaos God, and being so good at killing undead that they actually feared him. Naturally he was killed with no fanfare during the End Times.

I think every "The End Times" story ends with 'And then things were super disappointing.'

I'd never heard of that guy, he sounds pretty neat.

• Locked thread