Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

wookieepelt posted:

Lockpick talk: it is rather easy when properly explained. Thank you.

Are there any Xbone guilds?

And finally, is it dumb to have a sorcerer with destruction staff and dual wielding? I think that might be fun because enemies keep getting in my face and flurry sounds kinda cool.

I ran dw/dest staff for a while the problem is that you are mixing play styles that you have to be very intentional in what you do. You will need mana, health, and stamina, and a focus on how your armor will play out, since heavy/medium will help more with dw, and light will help more with casting. You also need to deal with skill points, since the two don't overlap much. In the end I wish I had gone one or the other and actually plan to respec out of dw.

If you are having a problem with melee, get destructive touch with a flame (knock back)or ice staff (root). Ice is handy because it can be spammed, but won't give you much protection against bows and casters. Flame knock back is great but can't be spammed because I think the kb is linked to the dot, so that has to fade before you can kb again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

RCarr posted:

Pretty much all class/weapon combo's are viable. I'd just play whatever you enjoy the most.

What's your gamertag? I'll send you an invite to the goon guild when I get home this afternoon. We are mostly Ebonhart Pack, but any faction can join.

GT is Scissors Deep.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

wookieepelt posted:

And finally, is it dumb to have a sorcerer with destruction staff and dual wielding? I think that might be fun because enemies keep getting in my face and flurry sounds kinda cool.

Yes you can dual wield and cast magicka abilities but you won't be using dw abilities. Dual wielding boosts your innate spell power by a lot

Beach Party
May 2, 2012

"I took the most excellent hit of my life. Next thing I knew, I was on the beach taking in some cosmic rays gettin healed by mother nature. Takin in a little brewski, holdin on to a beautiful babe. And I'm fine today!"

wookieepelt posted:

Dual wielding is fine with a magika spell based build as long as you aren't using the actual dual wield skills. The way they have it set up now, the highest possible spell rating is by using dual wield. This applies to higher level content though, any combo of stamina, health, and magika stats and skills will get you through the 1 - 50 content easily.

Anyways, I wish there was a way to completely mute everyone using the loving kinect mic while playing. As much as I love my xbone I really wish I had a ps4 to play this game on.

goattrails
Nov 27, 2009

Ride the frog, baby!
I just bought this thing. The OP doesn't mention servers. I have the choice between Europe or America. Does that mean that I'm going to be walled off from goons if I choose Europe?

jaffyjaffy
Sep 27, 2010
A friend and I picked this up during the GMG sale and reached 10 on DC yesterday. I have two questions.

1. At what point do you "need" to have a minmaxed optimal build? I assume addons for damage meters exist, but I wasn't sure if people were as anal about having a 100% optimal spec for endgame/raids as they are in other MMOs. I ask because there is something awesome about using a bow on a Breton sorc even if my inner sperg thinks it's wrong.

2. Are the factions relatively balanced, playerbase wise? I know the active goon guild is EP now (I'll most likely roll an alt there and post my ID when I do) but if we made a huge mistake going DC that would probably be best known sooner rather than later.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

jaffyjaffy posted:

A friend and I picked this up during the GMG sale and reached 10 on DC yesterday. I have two questions.

1. At what point do you "need" to have a minmaxed optimal build? I assume addons for damage meters exist, but I wasn't sure if people were as anal about having a 100% optimal spec for endgame/raids as they are in other MMOs. I ask because there is something awesome about using a bow on a Breton sorc even if my inner sperg thinks it's wrong.

2. Are the factions relatively balanced, playerbase wise? I know the active goon guild is EP now (I'll most likely roll an alt there and post my ID when I do) but if we made a huge mistake going DC that would probably be best known sooner rather than later.
As a general rule, you don't need any optimized build until you get to the VR levels. And even then, if you can do the VR content solo, your build is probably good anyway. The only places where optimized builds are recommended is when doing VR PvP and high-VR level Group Dungeons.

As for n.2 as long as you do PvP in the non-Vet campaign, things tend to be pretty balanced. Otherwise it depends on the Campaign you pick.

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

You travelled a long way for
"I don't know", sonny.
:whip: :cthulhu: :shivdurf:

Holy poo poo, Grahtwood is chock full of obnoxious shitheads trying to sell poo poo and scam everybody. I had to turn off the area chat so I could hear myself think.

I witnessed someone fall for a really, really obvious scam of a "doubling money glitch". Yeah, just give me your money...no really, I won't run away once you give me 1,500 gold! To be fair to the mark, there were a couple people in on it and they were pretending to not know each other, so it looked like someone was getting their money doubled, and he was all gleeful/amazed...if you weren't thinking about it too much, it wouldn't be too hard to fall for it. I mean, I stopped and listened to what was going on, wondering about it. Now I wonder how much money those kids have made off people.

I was asking around for a werewolf bite and some kid grouped up with me and we went to the marshes, was it? I hadn't been there and I was seeing all these 41 level mobs (I was 20) so we ran around avoiding everything and he couldn't remember where Hircine's Shrine was and ended up just vanishing on me, so I asked some passerby and they showed me where it was. That place is a madhouse, drat. I lucked out though, and got a pretty cheap(?) bite off someone and stayed up too late maxxing out those werewolf levels.

I'm still keeping it real on the xbone in AD, any other AD goons want a good time, call; 867 5309 or just use my gamertag; BAROM3T3R. I would still take an invite to the other goon guild, at some point I plan on starting a second character, and I'll roll with whatever alliance that is. I'm still feeling pretty invested in my current character, though.

...maybe I need to mention that's a fake number from a song. Don't call Jenny, OK?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I googled xbox eso werewolf bite and found some ESO forum with people giving them away for free. Got it within 5 minutes. Don't pay for bites.

angrypostman
Jan 25, 2011
Alright, I'm level 10 now. Any chance I can get an invite to the PC EP guild?

User ID is @Agon13

Thanks!

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
I need an Xbox bite so you should hook me up sometime! Gt is oscarwoscar if anyone else wants to bite me or kill Internet monsters together

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

JesustheDarkLord posted:

I need an Xbox bite so you should hook me up sometime! Gt is oscarwoscar if anyone else wants to bite me or kill Internet monsters together

I don't get to play much but I'll get you in the next few days once I unlock the ability!

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

You travelled a long way for
"I don't know", sonny.
:whip: :cthulhu: :shivdurf:

RCarr posted:

I googled xbox eso werewolf bite and found some ESO forum with people giving them away for free. Got it within 5 minutes. Don't pay for bites.

Well, I had been offered two or three free ones but those people hadn't come through and giving someone 3 thousand pretend gold coins isn't a big deal to me.

Edit;

No worries, I hadn't started out looking for one, people were selling them and I was asking where you went and one thing led to another.
VVVV

Barometer fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jul 17, 2015

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I didn't mean it as an insult or anything, it was just super easy for me to find one.

Your 3 thousand coins vs my googling time is pretty equivalent anyway. I just didn't want to see someone dropping 20k or something silly for one.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

jaffyjaffy posted:

The player bases are pretty balanced population wise and going DC is not a huge mistake unless you define it was "winning too much". DC has won the last 4 or 5 campaigns in a row (maybe more) in the non-Vet campaign.

Woland
Nov 7, 2005
New player, bought the game recently, level 13, would love a daggerfall guild invite @logarithmus

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday

Scyantific posted:

They're adding more and more vet ranks in the hopes that people will just develop stockholm syndrome and won't mind it so much when the dev team goes "WELP WE CAN'T REMOVE THEM WITHOUT BREAKING THE GAME SO THEY'RE STAYING, HOORAY!"

Why the hell would you want to remove them?

tgidieday
May 7, 2007
You can't kill me, I quit!
When a PvP player hits VR1, they get kicked out of Blackwater Blade and have to join a proper campaign. They immediately get wrecked by VR14 players, and from this they conclude that there is some tremendous advantage in being VR14 (note: the actual advantage is being in a PvP guild). Since for some reason PvP players also hate PvE, you get a lot of complaining about how vet ranks are ruining the sanctity of the game.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

tgidieday posted:

When a PvP player hits VR1, they get kicked out of Blackwater Blade and have to join a proper campaign. They immediately get wrecked by VR14 players, and from this they conclude that there is some tremendous advantage in being VR14 (note: the actual advantage is being in a PvP guild). Since for some reason PvP players also hate PvE, you get a lot of complaining about how vet ranks are ruining the sanctity of the game.

I'm not at the veteran ranks yet but I've heard PvErs gripe that the entire VR leveling system was a boring painful slog and because it involved other factions it ~*breaks their immersion*~

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Whenever I sent my noob rear end to Cyrodiil, it usually meant being three-shot at most from players I assume were wearing min-maxed VR14 gear... so there's that. Might be organized guild too, but without voice comms it's a clusterfuck of AoE bombardment whenever there's actual battle going on.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

New crown store stuff when IC comes out

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.
Just bought this game off greenman for 12 bucks last week and totally love it. I am not a huge MMO person, but that is perfect as this game feels like more of an elder scrolls single player game than an mmo, for the most part. About 10 hours in. Friend me if you would like. Level 8 Wood Elf. Name in game: Violetstorm.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

I fired up Skyrim for the first time in a long time last night and I think I spent the first hour catching myself trying to roll dodge.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Berke Negri posted:

New crown store stuff when IC comes out

The horse is cool but I'd rather see more natural looking Senches, Guars, and whatever other lore-appropriate mounts fit the ESO universe than horses with increasingly glowy WoW-poo poo tacked onto them.

Even a pony or Clydesdale, still horses but with obviously different models, instead of more horse skins.

tgidieday
May 7, 2007

Cuckoo posted:

I'm not at the veteran ranks yet but I've heard PvErs gripe that the entire VR leveling system was a boring painful slog and because it involved other factions it ~*breaks their immersion*~

I've heard the slog comment numerous times (from this thread even!), but it doesn't make sense to me after 1.2. If you liked 1-50, then you'll like Cadwell's Silver and Gold just as well. New content, and you don't have to make a new character (good for the mai waifu immersion crowd, no?).

Berke Negri posted:

I fired up Skyrim for the first time in a long time last night and I think I spent the first hour catching myself trying to roll dodge.

I salute you, I don't know if I could handle going back to first person.

tgidieday fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jul 17, 2015

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

tgidieday posted:

I salute you, I don't know if I could handle going back to first person.

Are, uh... you under the impression that Skyrim is first person only or something?

tgidieday
May 7, 2007
No, that's just how I played it. I thought we were traveling down memory lane.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Both Skyrim and ESO are loving impossible to play first person. First person hasn't been good in PC RPGs since the mid 90s. I don't get how people feel more immersed in that view or how they can dodge poo poo, especially in ESO, but to each their own :shrug:

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
I'm mixed, in that I can't play Skyrim in third person, and I can't play eso in first. Except when precision looting. That's a job for first person.

tgidieday
May 7, 2007
I like to play RPGs by grinding until they're easy, then spending that ease on conveniences like playing in first person, on the couch, with a console controller. ESO broke me of that, but I was resistant and didn't switch to third person until the final boss of Shada's Tear.

SisterFister
Oct 31, 2005

I'm sure you and your 37 dollars will prove to be quite the legal sensation
Just bought this on PS4. Are PS4 Goons relatively active? Which faction should I join?

Seems like the OP is mostly PC-specific- is there anything else I should know about playing TESO on the best console ever?

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Perfectly playable in first person outside dungeons - gently caress that harpy and her bombs in Blackheart though, you have to maintain 360-degree vision to catch all spots.

vug
Jan 23, 2015

by Cowcaster

Cuckoo posted:

The horse is cool but I'd rather see more natural looking Senches, Guars, and whatever other lore-appropriate mounts fit the ESO universe than horses with increasingly glowy WoW-poo poo tacked onto them.

Even a pony or Clydesdale, still horses but with obviously different models, instead of more horse skins.

i like how that trashy ice horse cost more than the imperial city dlc

I hate yankees
Apr 29, 2008

SisterFister posted:

Just bought this on PS4. Are PS4 Goons relatively active? Which faction should I join?

Seems like the OP is mostly PC-specific- is there anything else I should know about playing TESO on the best console ever?

Play whatever you want to. Leave your PSN and one of us will invite you to the guilds. There's one for each faction but I think the DC dude hasn't had an opportunity for a mass invite yet. There's an AD and EP guild that have fairly active members, though it's basically the same people between them.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
I sure wish we had text guild chat via Smart Glass or something

SisterFister
Oct 31, 2005

I'm sure you and your 37 dollars will prove to be quite the legal sensation

I hate yankees posted:

Play whatever you want to. Leave your PSN and one of us will invite you to the guilds. There's one for each faction but I think the DC dude hasn't had an opportunity for a mass invite yet. There's an AD and EP guild that have fairly active members, though it's basically the same people between them.

PSN is pootbarn! Thanks!!

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday

Cuckoo posted:

Both Skyrim and ESO are loving impossible to play first person. First person hasn't been good in PC RPGs since the mid 90s. I don't get how people feel more immersed in that view or how they can dodge poo poo, especially in ESO, but to each their own :shrug:

Learning to play in first person is a much more rewarding experience than clunking around in third person.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

I have no idea why people are still buying my gold tempers even though we know we're still two months ish out from the next update.

Maybe to sell for later during the big rush in Update 7? A part of me still thinks no.

Reeoorb
Jun 25, 2006
is...is...is got communisms in it...

SisterFister posted:

PSN is pootbarn! Thanks!!

I got him. But he still needs a goon promote in cat.

Reeoorb fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jul 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Berke Negri posted:

I have no idea why people are still buying my gold tempers even though we know we're still two months ish out from the next update.

Maybe to sell for later during the big rush in Update 7? A part of me still thinks no.

Believe it or not people are still playing the game. The announcement of Update 7 and increased vet ranks doesn't mean everyone's gonna stop doing dungeon/trial/DSA runs until the patch hits.

Also people are getting their gear in order so that they can be the first to complete/speedrun/clear all the achievements for the two new dungeons.

• Locked thread