Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Phuzzy posted:

Here have a potato phone picture of the Dogge eating cake

You are my new favorite poster!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009
In my book dogs make the finest police officers, and anyone who assaults one deserves the Rodney King treatment x 1000

All police officers should work with a canine partner

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer

Tyro posted:

You are my new favorite poster!

Hahahha thanks. I'm usually lurking in here as a dirty reporter who does crime beats and stuff, IE being a pest to these fuckers

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Phuzzy posted:

Hahahha thanks. I'm usually lurking in here as a dirty reporter who does crime beats and stuff, IE being a pest to these fuckers

What up journalism bud :hfive:

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer

EXTREME INSERTION posted:

How helpful are police dogs in avoiding police deaths, civilian deaths, or just escalation of the situation in general (not sure how to phrase this)?

As to this point, and again this is from a dumb reporter, there's something visceral about a dog.

Something you have to understand is that dog wants to bite you. It wants to tackle you. It wants to go go go. Every day, all day, they're trained to be ready to go go go and to chase and to bite and knock down and hold and they are denied this reward. When the moment comes, when that time that their partner lets go of that leash and says 'get him' in whatever language they're trained in, that is their reward, being able to bite your stupid rear end. And they are going to come at you full force because this is what they want, more than anything else in the world.

This is scary at a base level, man. This is man's best friend, a wolf or as close as you're ever going to see, ready to come at you. It may be there to find your coke, it may be there because you're being rowdy and stupid at the cops, but when that dog missile is locked and loaded and ready to come at you, it ought to make you think. If it doesn't, it's likely that situation wasn't going to turn out very well even without the dog.

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug

EXTREME INSERTION posted:

Do the dogs usually bite and hold the person down, or do they actually inflict a lot of damage with the bites? Can you control how hard they bite or is it sort of an all or nothing thing?

I've no experience with dog units but from what I've seen they're trained to bite an arm and not let go until their handler says otherwise. I doubt there's any way to train them how hard to bite, that sounds unnecessary complex when their sole purpose to bite somebody...

As for dog bites, they can inflict a lot of damage. They have big teeth.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
Police dogs turn everyone into a caveman huddled by the fire

They were the best public order tool ever, until Americans used them to bite black people and now nobody can have nice things :colbert:

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

DrakeriderCa posted:

They were the best public order tool ever, until Americans used them to bite black people and now nobody can have nice things :colbert:
I think my favorite part of the DoJ report on Ferguson was the "suspects bit by police dogs" being a smooth 100% African American.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Yeah but its Ferguson, there's probably a similar statistic involving fire hoses. Reminder that they charged a guy with destruction of public property when he bled on a cop's uniform after the cops beat the poo poo out of him.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Dead Reckoning posted:

I think my favorite part of the DoJ report on Ferguson was the "suspects bit by police dogs" being a smooth 100% African American.

uh that's because 100% of the people in Ferguson are African American

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011
Any goons down sweatin' balls at Glynco right now?

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Lol

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
Where do you guys get your PDs from? Are there special breeders that produce only working police or military dogs? Are they kind of their own separate breed? Why do I see some spaniel scenting dogs in the UK? What is the best police dog breed? If a malinois and a pit bull got into a fight, who would win?

SirDrinksAlot
Aug 6, 2006

The wicked flee when none pursueth
Well i've been provsionally accepted into the program and I start the academy on the 22nd of september.

She said the the prostitution was a black eye on my record and that a few of the local departments may turn down my application right away but that from what she could see if I met them in person then it wouldn't be an issue.

Huzzah, i'm so excited.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
From what I've seen in canada, most police dogs are GSD's or malinois. Most detector dogs I've seen are labs.

I've never been a dog man, but the detector dog guy I worked with told me that when he selected dogs for detection, breed was irrelevant. He selected for play drive. Specifically with a ball. In his experience, pretty much any dog can detect and indicate. But a high play drive makes it 10x faster to train them, and it's much easier to overcome their food drive. Because the detector dogs ive worked with will only eat, pee and poop on command.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.
I don't know if this is some sort of TSA or FAA policy but every police dog I've seen in an airport no matter if it's TSA, CBP, or Airport police is always a Beagle and they are adorable in their little police vests. :3:

Scruff McGruff fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jul 23, 2015

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
Goddamn I wanna pet that beagle

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
To pet the beagle is illegal.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Equine Don posted:

To pet the beagle is illegal.

gently caress the police.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Bestiality is also illegal.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Nostalgia4Murder posted:

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Nostalgia4Murder posted:

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
"Would you gently caress me? I'd gently caress me, I'd gently caress me hard." - whip

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Nostalgia4Murder posted:

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

If you wouldn't gently caress me, you're gay

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?
Oh please gently caress me.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyPaJSGDqS0

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

:buddy:

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

If that picture doesn't make you feel :3: as gently caress, you're dead inside.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Scruff McGruff posted:

I don't know if this is some sort of TSA or FAA policy but every police dog I've seen in an airport no matter if it's TSA, CBP, or Airport police is always a Beagle and they are adorable in their little police vests. :3:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beagle_Brigade

My beagle on the other hand is a lazy bastard, just like her owner.

Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NK-T_t166TY

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

JayKay posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beagle_Brigade

My beagle on the other hand is a lazy bastard, just like her owner.

Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NK-T_t166TY

christ what a nightmare language

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN
I want answers. :mad:

Joe Son
Jul 23, 2009
Do PDs generally polygraph candidates for non-sworn positions like analysts?

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

Beagles are awesome. One of my wife's beagles is a former beagle brigade dog. Ive used him on several occasions to find things I've dropped and lost in the yard.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
I would pet the beagle and go to jail

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

Victor Vermis posted:

I want answers. :mad:

ACAB :shrug:

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

Whip Slagcheek posted:

If you wouldn't gently caress me, you're gay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2LUssy5lwA

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

christ what a nightmare language

dutch sounds like german if you had a speech impediment and a gay lisp

seance snacks
Mar 30, 2007

Branis posted:

dutch sounds like german if you had a speech impediment and a gay lisp

And a lot of quacking noises. It's funny because the languages are very similar when written, such that you can somewhat understand both from knowing one, but wildly different in pronunciation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

she sounds like an entitled psycho bitch, maybe the cop escalated needlessly but if a cop asks you to put out your smoke you should probably just do it

also lol at the idea that they killed her to cover up the video of officer poor deescalation skills hurting her fee fees

• Locked thread