Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Ignoring how racist it is, telling people to 'act white' is also ableist. What is a mentally handicapped person supposed to do if a cop decides to 'act cop' at them? I suffer from debilitating anxieties, and while I'm lucky to be white so it never happened as of yet, if I was approached by a cop who seemed suspicious of me it's entirely possible I'd freeze and be unable to comply to orders/answer questions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Just be Ward Cleaver you idiot, how hard is that?

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Radbot posted:

Please, keep comparing conspiracy theories with police abuse, it paints you in exactly the light you should be shown in.

You're the one who called me unquestioning because I opposed assuming something happened in the absence of evidence. I feel like an Art Bell joke isn't too far afield here.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

I'm seriously confused how a woman in jail supposedly had a plastic bag strong enough to hang herself using.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I think this thread would be a lot less hostile if people stopped stating things as fact when they aren't.

Toasticle posted:

I've seen attempts to debunk it because
-they weren't in the same area (my mistake, I thought they were)
-they weren't slung on the same way, the black guy could get at his 'faster' the way he had it
-different cops or different departments. Forget if it was city cops and state cops

No idea if the the third is true but even if the first two were I don't see how that's debunking it. Either you can open carry or you can't, "The black guy carried differently" is pretty weak, he wasn't holding it, just not slung exactly that same way. And different cops I don't see as debunking either, yeah it shows different cops react differently but if it's legal it's legal, which cop responds shouldn't matter. It's not they had any control over who responded.
Maybe there was more but that's all I can remember besides one that said the white version was edited down (it was) but the full version is just a long version of a calm conversation, it didn't not show anything. If anything the white guy was actually trying to rile him up by asking stupid questions which would strengthen it, even after trying to be dicks the white cop was still calm the whole time, black guys cops never even talked unless you call yelling at him to get on the ground as talking. Hell the white responder cop was doing a 'I'll show you mine if I can see yours mines way cooler".

Thanks for this. I thought it had been more obviously debunked, like they'd called the police in the 2nd video and alleged he was waving the gun around etc.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Dead Reckoning posted:

You're the one who called me unquestioning because I opposed assuming something happened in the absence of evidence. I feel like an Art Bell joke isn't too far afield here.

Perhaps you've heard of the saying "absence of evidence isn't evidence of absence"?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Dead Reckoning posted:

I think the real question is, was HAARP broadcasting during her incarceration? Could this have been a government EMF attack?

If someone dies in any jail it should prompt calls for an investigation into what happened.

Also, this may seem conspiracy minded, but medical examiners are not always the best. They also take into account what the police tell them, and when presented with contrary evidence as to the circumstances surrounding the death. I've seem it happen myself.
This doesn't mean there has to be a grand conspiracy, just incomptence. It could well be a suicide, and if it is, how someone was allowed to commit suicide in the jail should be investigated and any failures should be fixed.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Radbot posted:

Perhaps you've heard of the saying "absence of evidence isn't evidence of absence"?

I don't think you want to be opening this door.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

nm posted:

If someone dies in any jail it should prompt calls for an investigation into what happened.

This doesn't mean there has to be a grand conspiracy, just incomptence. It could well be a suicide, and if it is, how someone was allowed to commit suicide in the jail should be investigated and any failures should be fixed.
That's what I said in the post Radbot quoted when he accused me of unquestioningly believing the police.

Radbot posted:

So you admit there's no proof it wasn't HAARP waves?

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Look at this bitch kicking a cop and getting what she deserves!

http://www.kktv.com/home/headlines/Newly-Surfaced-Surve-315600841.html

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

ElCondemn posted:

But think of the poor officer!!!! He was mad!

quote:

According to the police report Walker said her boot hit him above the groin area, "I felt immediate pain and became greatly aggravated due to Ms. Acker's continual kicking despite all my failed attempts to get her to calm down."

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Trabisnikof posted:

But think of the poor officer!!!! He was mad!

She must not have been acting white enough, the cop was confused and thought she was a minority.

edit: Is it at all possible that minorities are just tired of being oppressed and that's why they "act black"? Like, maybe the problem isn't that they're acting black, but that people are treatin them black? nah... they're just bad actors...

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
She was sitting in a chair with her hands cuffed. Obviously she had the advantage there.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
How was the officer supposed to know she didn't have a switchblade built into her shoe? He was clearly reasonably afraid for his life.

Genocide Tendency posted:

If she acted reasonable, got hauled out of her car through the window and thrown to the ground, then this is a problem with brutality. Instead, she kicked a cop and got hosed up for it. Which is exactly what should happen. Don't kick cops.

I for one agree with this guy's sentiments. I'm glad the cop smashed her face in. Thank god for our hero cops.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

ElCondemn posted:

I have a feeling that picture is going to get passed around by cops a lot as a way of congratulating themselves.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Police officer admits on the record that he was emotionally influenced, then needlessly causes permanent injury to someone in his care?

Nah, no charges here folks.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Trabisnikof posted:

Police officer admits on the record that he was emotionally influenced, then needlessly causes permanent injury to someone in his care?

Nah, no charges here folks.

He's so human!

I think I figured it out, minorities should just become cops. That way when they make human mistakes or lash out and assault people they'll be excused as just being humans who deserve compassion!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

On the subject of Sandra Bland being injured by officers, the video of her arrest shows officers on top of her while she's on the ground and she says on video that she can't hear because they slammed her head into the ground. This is pretty common after a hard head impact.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

chitoryu12 posted:

On the subject of Sandra Bland being injured by officers, the video of her arrest shows officers on top of her while she's on the ground and she says on video that she can't hear because they slammed her head into the ground. This is pretty common after a hard head impact.

It's no problem, the cop says "Yes you can" right afterwards.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

quote:

I felt immediate pain and became greatly aggravated due to Ms. Acker's continual kicking despite all my failed attempts to get her to calm down.

This is a great example of why you're supposed to keep incident reporting to just the facts. In my job writing something like this would get you nailed to the wall. Good thing cops don't have anywhere near the same level of accountability!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Also, I don't find it unusual or unimportant that the sheriff of the county where she was arrested (who made the first public comments on Bland's death) was suspended and fired as a police chief for repeated documented cases of racism and abuse, including mandated anger management classes. And now he's the sheriff of the officers responsible for her arrest and death in a cell.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
The cops obviously killed Bland you morons.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Has something juicy just come out in the press?

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

chitoryu12 posted:

Also, I don't find it unusual or unimportant that the sheriff of the county where she was arrested (who made the first public comments on Bland's death) was suspended and fired as a police chief for repeated documented cases of racism and abuse, including mandated anger management classes. And now he's the sheriff of the officers responsible for her arrest and death in a cell.

Well that doesn't look good.

hobotrashcanfires
Jul 24, 2013

Obdicut posted:

Well that doesn't look good.

Well supposedly surveillance video shows no one entering or leaving her cell. Scant details on that, and could be doctored, yada, yada. I suppose though if the FBI is in on it we'd likely find out if that was the case. Though a notably outspoken black woman held (I'm guessing alone?) in a cell for three days in a jail under the supervision of a Sheriff with the distinction of being fired for racism.. it'd certainly be interesting to find out how she came into possession of a plastic bag capable of hanging herself with and just all the circumstances of that detention. If she did indeed commit suicide, such factors as a possible concussion, being held in isolation, and whatever other abuse a highly likely racist jail can heap upon a person without even having to touch them need to be taken into account.

I could easily see her being refused medical attention if she had a concussion (especially given she allegedly assaulted a fellow police officer - though I suspect we'll never see photographic evidence of the assault as if it did happen it likely left nothing visible). Who knows what else. Maybe with some luck some flunky there who doesn't really agree with what happens, but goes along with it, cracks under the growing pressure and fesses up to anything that might've occurred.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

The Mattybee posted:

I didn't "piece-pick" your words. You said that if she had "acted reasonable", it wouldn't have been okay, but since she 'kicked' the cop (and kick has a pretty wide variety of levels of force), it was perfectly acceptable and a Good Thing to you that she would get "hosed up". That's literally what you said. Those are the words that you typed.

But you won't admit to us that you think criminals should be physically harmed, that they should suffer bodily for their failure to respect authority, because you are a coward.

There is a wide variety in "violence" and a wide variety of "force". It is possible for someone to be violent (or otherwise uncooperative) without needing to resort to "loving them up", as you were nice enough to put it.

But hmm. I wonder if there are any other reasons why I might be calling you a dishonest coward? I wonder if you have a history of overly violent reactions.

Hmmm, yes. More than willing to spout racist poo poo back with the good ol' boys, and whining because nobody else will come post stuff for him. Yeah, I'm gonna go with "you're a big loving coward who can't even admit that he just wants to see 'bad people' get the poo poo beaten out of them".

I like how you keep saying I am a coward who doesn't want to admit I think bad people should get the poo poo beat out of them.

Because I have said they should.

Several times.

What part of "kick a cop, get your head slammed into the ground, cuffed, and sent down to the cop shop" is trying to not admit that I think "kick a cop, get your head slammed into the ground, cuffed, and sent down to the cop shop"?

Don't pick fights with cops. Don't be a gigantic rear end in a top hat. Don't start a physical confrontation. If you do then you are going to get your face smashed into the dirt. You are going to get tased. And you should. If you have an issue with being pulled over, act reasonable, and deal with the problem through the many channels that are out there. If there are issues with those channels then that needs to be addressed in a constructive manner. But arguing or kicking a cop makes you wrong. It authorizes a cop to beat the poo poo out of you. And should.

Stop and think.

This thread is bitching and crying about an excessive and inappropriate response by police. Ignoring, hand waving or outright justifying the excessive and inappropriate response by suspects/offenders. I linked that story in GiP because I try to stay out of D&D but occasionally I mix my meds wrong and in a delusional moment think I can voice something in D&D with people who understand reality. Think carefully about this. If you are pulled over, you follow the instructions from the officer, you take the ticket and if you believe that it was wrong, you address it in traffic court or through the many channels out there. Believe it or not, you can report an officer for unfair treatment. Through their agency, state agencies, and national agencies. There are also channels through the NAACP, ACLU.. You don't stand there and loving argue with the cop, then kick them. If you bypass all the reasonable options and go straight for the argue and kick, then you absolutely deserve to get slammed to the ground and hauled in for assault on a law enforcement officer. Just as that kid in the video feed deserved to be shot twice by a cop who was bouncing across the hood of the car the kid was using to run him over.

By the way, that kid's parents are complaining about the use of excessive force because that officer shot their son.

That kid should be dead. Not sitting in a jail cell.

Both parties. The officer AND THE CITIZEN are responsible for acting appropriately. Don't loving fight and argue with a cop. If you are reasonable, follow their instructions and still get beat down, then there is an issue. A big issue. And that officer deserves to be punished. If you argue, defy their instructions, act like an rear end in a top hat, and attack them, then you are the problem.

I'm going to say probably the most controversial and racist thing you have ever heard. Maybe, just maybe, officers aren't automatically wrong.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I'm sorry, at what point do I trust the opinion of someone who refers to a criminal suspect as "Darkie"?

Like I think that might actually be the most racist thing you said, because you're actually racist.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

"that kid should be dead"

-a sane adult arguing in D&D

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

I like how you keep saying I am a coward who doesn't want to admit I think bad people should get the poo poo beat out of them.

Several times.

What part of "kick a cop, get your head slammed into the ground, cuffed, and sent down to the cop shop" is trying to not admit that I think "kick a cop, get your head slammed into the ground, cuffed, and sent down to the cop shop"?

Don't pick fights with cops. Don't be a gigantic rear end in a top hat. Don't start a physical confrontation. If you do then you are going to get your face smashed into the dirt. You are going to get tased. And you should.

Hey, again, why do you think this? If a cop can respond in a way that doesn't involve smashing the person's face into the ground, why isn't that better?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Obdicut posted:

Hey, again, why do you think this? If a cop can respond in a way that doesn't involve smashing the person's face into the ground, why isn't that better?

Did you forget that it is the police you mete out punishments under our constitution?

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

GreyPowerVan posted:

"that kid should be dead"

-a sane adult arguing in D&D

Correct. Because of the part right before I said that.

You know. Where the kid was running over the cop with a car.

Obdicut posted:

Explain to me what makes you think responding in a non-physical way to someone kicking you is going to be effective?

I can't believe its this loving hard to explain to you.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Explain to me what makes you think responding in a non-physical way to someone kicking you is going to be effective?

I can't believe its this loving hard to explain to you.
A proportional use of force there was reasonable. This was non-proportional, but an excessive use of force.
You are to use the amount of force needed to stop the battery. Restraints, for example. Similarly, when the danger ends the force should end. It appears he achieved compliance before slamming her to the ground.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

someone described as a kid "deserved to die"

just lol

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

nm posted:

Elected DAs are awesome

http://investigations.myajc.com/caroline-small-shooting/

Interesting article that shows just how much a prosecutor and local cops can kill an investigation.

quote:

At a meeting to review the GBI’s use of force investigation policies, Tommy Tindale, Glynn’s head of internal affairs, told GBI agents that “the only reason we call you in is for public perception,” Tindale went on to say that the department had an obligation to protect its officers.
:barf:

quote:

Johnson undertook a highly unusual set of maneuvers. She cut a deal with the two officers, asking them to waive their right to a 15-day advance notice of any indictment. In return, she agreed not to offer an indictment for grand jurors to consider — unless they asked for one.

Grand juror Charles McManus, a retired attorney, told the AJC and Channel 2 that he asked about available charges and was told there were none, just a determination if the officers were justified in shooting Small.
I'm sorry but i'm not too familiar with how grand juries work. How often do such proceedings have no charges available? Like, it sounds to me like their grand jury shouldn't even have met for such a decision, if their choice couldn't actually affect whether charges are brought.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Luckily for you, there's an easy way for you to tell the bad people from the good people.

You can tell who the bad people are with just a glance!

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

chitoryu12 posted:

I'm sorry, at what point do I trust the opinion of someone who refers to a criminal suspect as "Darkie"?

Like I think that might actually be the most racist thing you said, because you're actually racist.

Also someone who says "Act white or get hosed up!" as if it is advice and not a threat.

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

Dahn posted:

Ahhh, most traffic violations are a cops word against yours. "A cop says so", carries a lot of weight in the legal system. Do cops lie, I'm sure they do.

I realize that the SA burden of proof is much higher.

The only thing I have seen that matches SA muster is a video shot much later in the stop. She seemed very agitated in that video, but when your laying on the ground cuffed, your are entitled to be a little miffed.

My advice to young people of color pulled over by the cops, act "white". If you start claiming your were stopped for DWB or screaming "am I being detained!" you are making life unnecessarily hard for yourself. Pretend your Ward Cleaver, or Dr Huxstable. I you say "Good evening officer is there something I can help you with", the odds of you ending up hanging in a jail cell go down.

Seriously, what do you mean by "act white"?

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Stop being uppity.

Mandy Thompson
Dec 26, 2014

by zen death robot

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Ignoring how racist it is, telling people to 'act white' is also ableist. What is a mentally handicapped person supposed to do if a cop decides to 'act cop' at them? I suffer from debilitating anxieties, and while I'm lucky to be white so it never happened as of yet, if I was approached by a cop who seemed suspicious of me it's entirely possible I'd freeze and be unable to comply to orders/answer questions.

This is absolutely true and needs to be sung from the mountain tops. "Act cop" indeed. Turns out beating people up till their dizzy makes it hard for them to comply with orders.

We need to expect cops to "act human" and recognize other people as humans. I suspect the profession is a big draw to people with authoritarian personalities, power trippers, and bullies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandy Thompson
Dec 26, 2014

by zen death robot

Dahn posted:

Ahhh, most traffic violations are a cops word against yours. "A cop says so", carries a lot of weight in the legal system. Do cops lie, I'm sure they do.

I realize that the SA burden of proof is much higher.

The only thing I have seen that matches SA muster is a video shot much later in the stop. She seemed very agitated in that video, but when your laying on the ground cuffed, your are entitled to be a little miffed.

My advice to young people of color pulled over by the cops, act "white". If you start claiming your were stopped for DWB or screaming "am I being detained!" you are making life unnecessarily hard for yourself. Pretend your Ward Cleaver, or Dr Huxstable. I you say "Good evening officer is there something I can help you with", the odds of you ending up hanging in a jail cell go down.

but isn't that the problem, why should whiteness be the only behavior that doesn't get you killed.

I don't like being a cop hater. I want to be able to call the police in an emergency, I want first responders who I can depend on, who I can call when a loved on is having a psychoic break who aren't going to shoot her because "we don't have time for this", who will be held accountable when they in a fit of authoritarian bullying take someone's life maliciously, who will promptly respond to an emergency rather than chasing people down over municipal fines, who will, per their training only use their sidearm as a last resort, who will be paragons of excellence in the community, and who will be PART of the community rather than an occupying army.

• Locked thread