Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

EC posted:

I'll have a look at it, but it doesn't really come up that often. I just figured I was missing something obvious with Google Photos.

Just use the google photos app for browsing your photos? It's better than the stock app anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Slash posted:

Just use the google photos app for browsing your photos? It's better than the stock app anyway.

There's no way to set a picture in Gphotos that I can tell, which prompted the original question.

Edit: oops, I meant set a picture as a background.

EC fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Jul 14, 2015

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

POCKET CHOMP posted:

No doubt, there are a zillion ways to get photos onto your phone if you're willing to save them manually, but since he said "sync TO the local library" and you said carousel puts things "into photos automatically" I was just pointing out that it does neither of those things. /sperg

You're right, putting it into my dropbox folder didn't move it to my photos app! It takes an extra click to do that.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Why does the remote app on my phone periodically stop working to control iTunes on my computer? It just does some times. I haven't changed any of my settings for home sharing or whatever in years. It's moderately frustrating

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I'm pretty sure it doesn't work at all on 8.4

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Well that sucks big

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
What do you guys use for books? I've become accustomed to Google Play's cloud due to my years of Android, but is there an app that does something similar with iCloud Drive? Or should I just keep using Google? My only requirement is that I be able to delete local copies but still keep the book in a cloud library.

I think iBooks does this with books you buy from Apple, but even with sync it's not going to work with random ePubs and PDFs, right?

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jul 16, 2015

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Craptacular! posted:

What do you guys use for books? I've become accustomed to Google Play's cloud due to my years of Android, but is there an app that does something similar with iCloud Drive? Or should I just keep using Google? My only requirement is that I be able to delete local copies but still keep the book in a cloud library.

I think iBooks does this with books you buy from Apple, but even with sync it's not going to work with random ePubs and PDFs, right?

Marvin has Dropbox support, and can read most ebook formats.

ed - correction, it only supports DRM-free epub. You can use Calibre to convert to epub, though.

Dicty Bojangles fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jul 16, 2015

LoSesMC
Feb 13, 2009

Craptacular! posted:

I think Google Play Books would still work fine, I go between that and Kindle. I don't think iBooks syncs anything that wasn't purchased on their store.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

slomomofo posted:

ed - correction, it only supports DRM-free epub. You can use Calibre to convert to epub, though.
I've been fat dumb and happy with iBooks for ages, but if I can find something that will read my Calibre library and actually maintain synchronicity between my phone and iPad that would be sweet.

I see the same dude that made Marvin also makes 'Gert' - I tried Gert, it only scrolls vertically, and doesn't support landscape orientation. It seems like Marvin is not getting developed anymore from what I've read.

Is there any other reader (not Kindle/BNN/Google) that is recommended. Or am I missing something with Google books? I have my Calibre library on Dropbox right now.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I'm thinking that when iOS 9 comes out you can just drop a bunch of epubs/pdfs/whatever in a folder on iCloud Drive and open them in iBooks using the new iCloud Drive app in whatever device you need them on. Sort of like syncing I guess.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Dropbox. Open file in Dropbox app (it'll say you can't view it), tap the share icon, open in, iBooks.

Then when you're done, you can swipe the title in iBooks to delete it.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY
:siren: :siren: For any goons wanting to beta test and get early access to Byte, there's a thread for invites and feedback.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/6/29/8860347/byte-app-dom-hofmann-vine

quote:

Byte is a creative tool and a social network. Mostly, though, it’s a playground: if Vine encourages creativity by giving you constraints, Byte aims to destroy the notion of constraints and see what emerges from the chaos.

The most familiar thing about Byte is its basic structure. As on Vine or Instagram before it, there’s a feed of creations from the people you follow, an activity feed, and a place to edit your profile. Byte’s take on discovery is a rocket-shaped button that takes you to "worlds," which are themed collections of content that can be about anything. (Think subreddits.)

The heart of Byte is its creation tool, which you’ll find at the center of the bottom row of buttons when you open the app. Tap it, and you’ll find a gradient of randomly chosen colors as your canvas. Tap again on the canvas, and a staircase of buttons pops up. On the bottom right, there’s a camera you can use to take photos and insert them into your creation. As on Snapchat, there are tools for adding text or drawing with your finger.

One of Byte’s more original features is a "soundtrack" button, which lets you create miniature, looping synths that play inside your creations. You build them using trial and error, placing emoji on a grid. The feature was inspired by Mario Paint’s composer, and as with that game, it’s designed to be forgiving. "You can’t really make anything that sounds bad unless you’re trying," Hofmann says.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
jesus christ why won't this stupid bubble pop already

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

I don't know why I would want this, but cool?

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
God that sounds like a really dumb waste of time for everyone involved.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Michael Scott posted:

God that sounds like a really dumb waste of time for everyone involved.

- people in 2007, 2004, 2013, etc etc etc etc

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Is anyone getting sync problems with Overcast? I've still got Downcast on my phone and it's getting new episodes fine, but Overcast just won't synchronise.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Lady Gaza posted:

Is anyone getting sync problems with Overcast? I've still got Downcast on my phone and it's getting new episodes fine, but Overcast just won't synchronise.

I just checked the website and it's all synced up with my client. I don't know about new episodes dropping for today, since none of the ones I listen to added one today. I've definitely had new episodes show up and download to my phone on Weds and Thurs.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

Lady Gaza posted:

All of my Friday podcasts seem to be syncing just fine.

On a related note, apparently Marco has fixed the playlist manual reorder bug and it should be hitting a future update. (Supposedly it's a pretty deep fix so it'll take a lot of testing, but at least it's coming.)

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

It's updated now, strange. It's a little annoying because a manual refresh in Downcast always works and tells me which feeds are being checked whereas Overcast doesn't work the same. I do like smart speed but prefer Downcast's interface.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

Lady Gaza posted:

It's updated now, strange. It's a little annoying because a manual refresh in Downcast always works and tells me which feeds are being checked whereas Overcast doesn't work the same. I do like smart speed but prefer Downcast's interface.

Overcast is sometimes a bit delayed -- I'm not sure exactly whats happening to it, but I think it comes from pulling podcasts from its own server rather than Apple's.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Is there an app like Google Photos but with an rear end ton of space that I can easily utilize for watching videos on the road? Something like Plex that isn't reliant on me being on the same network.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

noirstronaut posted:

Is there an app like Google Photos but with an rear end ton of space that I can easily utilize for watching videos on the road? Something like Plex that isn't reliant on me being on the same network.

dropbox if you pay

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

noirstronaut posted:

I thought Plex let you stream over the internet, and you only needed Plex Pass if you wanted to actually download stuff (rather than stream) onto a mobile device. Is that wrong?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Last Chance posted:

I'm thinking that when iOS 9 comes out you can just drop a bunch of epubs/pdfs/whatever in a folder on iCloud Drive and open them in iBooks using the new iCloud Drive app in whatever device you need them on. Sort of like syncing I guess.

An iBooks folder in iCloud Drive seemed to be what I expected.

What really surprises me is the lack of apps that interface with Calibre's server function. I have a Windows machine running 24 hours a day as my DVR that records stuff and strips commercials and hosts it on Plex, and I'd love to run something along the lines of Plex (for movies) or SubSonic (for music) except for eBooks. Then I wouldn't be realiant on any third party cloud host company.

I heard a lot of stuff about iOS users over the years, like "they're willing to spend a lot more on apps", but one thing that seems to be the case on this system is that everyone very probably has a Dropbox account. That's probably residual stuff from the iOS 5 years when the Dropbox app was practically a Swiss Army Knife of utility, but now they're the storage provider with the worst pricing plans and I really don't want to sign up.

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I thought Plex let you stream over the internet, and you only needed Plex Pass if you wanted to actually download stuff (rather than stream) onto a mobile device. Is that wrong?

This is true. Sign your server into your Plex account (does not need Plex pass) and enable Remote Access in your server settings, then make sure the port is forwarded correctly. Being signed into the app on the road will automaticaly hook you up with your server.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Well, my server is my computer, and if I understand this all correctly, I'd have to constantly be connected to the internet for it to work.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I want something that integrates into IOS fairly well in terms of photo back-ups. Aside from the usual suspects (Drive, Dropbox, iCloud), what are some other alternatives?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

obi_ant posted:

I want something that integrates into IOS fairly well in terms of photo back-ups. Aside from the usual suspects (Drive, Dropbox, iCloud), what are some other alternatives?

Google Photos (which is Drive I guess?) is what I use. It's pretty good at doing automatic uploads.

Some other options are Flickr (1TB of storage) and an app called Copy that I've never heard of. They both have autobackups I guess.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Any of you use Hive?

https://www.hive.im

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

obi_ant posted:

A lot of people seem to ignore it, but the Amazon Photo app seems to work well for me. You get unlimited storage space for photos with a Prime membership, too.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

noirstronaut posted:

You don't need a Dropbox at all for 1PW

Or Keepass for that matter. SFTP will do just fine.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

obi_ant posted:

OneDrive

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

slomomofo posted:

Marvin has pseudo-Dropbox support, though, where instead of accessing Dropbox directly (with whatever transparent local caching), you have to pick things to download from Dropbox to local storage, and then the local copies are what you actually have as a library.

This gets really annoying when you have seventeen bajillion epubs and PDFs in a calibre library.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

obi_ant posted:

Google Photos is the best one.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Are aftermarket CarPlay units a thing yet? Might be car shopping, and by extension, head unit-shopping soon, so I was wondering.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Minidust posted:

Are aftermarket CarPlay units a thing yet? Might be car shopping, and by extension, head unit-shopping soon, so I was wondering.

Pioneer AVH series has had CarPlay units for some time. I'm not aware of any other brands, but they may be out there.

croutonZA
Jan 5, 2011
Are there any decent alternatives to the default YouTube app?

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Minidust posted:

Pioneer, Kenwood, and Alpine are CarPlay partners.

Pioneer has several options (the entire NEX series), Alpine has one (the ILX-007), and Kenwood has finally joined the party with the DDX9902S and 9702S. Note that Alpine's offering doesn't have Bluetooth, so it's only a CarPlay unit and will not ever support untethered CarPlay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

croutonZA posted:

Are there any decent alternatives to the default YouTube app?

Tubex is good. Wish they had a paid, no-ads version though.