Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat

rscott posted:

The fluid underneath the car is from my MB leaking fuel a while back, don't worry, it doesn't leak a drop from what I've seen.

those...bumpers? :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Banano posted:

those...bumpers? :psyduck:

Just take one from the Jeep guys and call it a porch.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

meatpimp posted:

Just take one from the Jeep guys and call it a porch.

I think the BMW guys call them diving boards.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Shrapnig posted:

Yup they're massive and most of the cars that came with them in the US look much better with the Euro bumpers. Think the E21 is getting them at least tucked if not converted to Euro.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Shrapnig posted:

Yup, cause if you got em you might as well jump. :D

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Guys, I realize this isn't a burnout, so I'll apologize in advance.

However, I bring you my -V wagon out at High Plains Raceway today, replete with blower whine, and laughing at my reaction as the car starts to rotate in a couple corners:

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

CountOfNowhere posted:

Tinted the windows and blacked out the fugly chrome trim around the grill. The 1.0 Ecoboost is a gem.

Looks basically identical to mine. I went with the 2.0 and 201A so I could have some extra goodies, with my fuel economy considerations being something like "well if it's over 20 then it's basically free to drive" so I figured the 1.0 wasn't worth stepping down a notch in terms of trim level.

At least I don't have to deal with the DCT.

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Jul 17, 2015

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Powershift posted:

It's also shorter and narrower.

Length x width x height, the E39 would fit in a smaller box than the dart, and occupy less of that box. It's incredibly obvious when you've got them side by side. Nobody who looked at both would suggest the E39 is bigger because of it's bumper overhangs.

Width is only marginal and height is irrelevant.

Newer cars are better packaged than old stuff like the E39, but smaller where it counts which is length.

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat

Tremek posted:

Guys, I realize this isn't a burnout, so I'll apologize in advance.

However, I bring you my -V wagon out at High Plains Raceway today, replete with blower whine, and laughing at my reaction as the car starts to rotate in a couple corners:

Keep posting and I can just live vicariously through you, I appreciate the on-board narration you had for us. "Whoo, poo poo!"

I haven't been to a drag strip yet with the trollblazer but I did manage to rip off a 0-110 run the other day on a "closed circuit, professional driver" back road. That was a lot of fun so now I just need to convince the old lady that there is a good reason to take our daily driver to a real drag strip.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Modus Man posted:

Keep posting and I can just live vicariously through you, I appreciate the on-board narration you had for us. "Whoo, poo poo!"

I haven't been to a drag strip yet with the trollblazer but I did manage to rip off a 0-110 run the other day on a "closed circuit, professional driver" back road. That was a lot of fun so now I just need to convince the old lady that there is a good reason to take our daily driver to a real drag strip.

We never took our Trollblazer to the drag strip - wife was pregnant while we had it - but I enjoyed that thing. Is yours black or silver?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Painted and front looks high. Idk.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Imola is best.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

I didn't know they made 4x4 M3s.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

meatpimp posted:

I didn't know they made 4x4 M3s.

E46 M3 328ix, get with the program

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

kastein posted:

E46 M3 328ix, get with the program

There are some S54 swapped 325xis that retain awd out there :v:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

BlackMK4 posted:

There are some S54 swapped 325xis that retain awd out there :v:

And understeer!

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Modus Man posted:

Keep posting and I can just live vicariously through you

Apparently this is motorsports weekend - ready for drag racing tonight with new Mickey Thompson 305/35/18 ET Street IIs on the back:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Bape Culture posted:

Looks good to me.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Friar Zucchini posted:

Looks basically identical to mine. I went with the 2.0 and 201A so I could have some extra goodies, with my fuel economy considerations being something like "well if it's over 20 then it's basically free to drive" so I figured the 1.0 wasn't worth stepping down a notch in terms of trim level.

At least I don't have to deal with the DCT.

I wanted that low down turbo torque. I hate driving at high altitude in gutless 4-bangers, the boostu makes it way less annoying (even if I am missing a cyl). I specifically wanted the engine, and was highly disappointed I couldn't get many toys.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Tremek posted:

Apparently this is motorsports weekend - ready for drag racing tonight with new Mickey Thompson 305/35/18 ET Street IIs on the back:

Holy loving christ :captainpop:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

AI.jpg

Looking forward to seeing how the numbers change with the tires.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

GramCracker posted:

Holy loving christ :captainpop:

If you haven't had a look at his post history in this thread you should do yourself a favor and take a look.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Welcome to the 300mm crew. :whatup:

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Bape Culture posted:

A friend had the same thing, turned out the paint shop was doing burnouts for forum cred and raised the coilovers in the front to get better squat in the back, maybe ask them if u can post the video ??

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

I love this car with every fiber of my being.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

SquirrelGrip posted:

from just before i lost my license

Looks nice, Legalis R crew :hfive: although mine is rapidly ejecting the baffles so I ended up ordering a new HKS silent from glorious nihon.

Gonna assume you lost your licence because you did 1kmh over the speed limit in a modified japanese car in Australia. :D

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

CountOfNowhere posted:

I wanted that low down turbo torque. I hate driving at high altitude in gutless 4-bangers, the boostu makes it way less annoying (even if I am missing a cyl). I specifically wanted the engine, and was highly disappointed I couldn't get many toys.
Oh now altitude may be the key. Word is the Focus 1.0 is gutless when the 2.0 NA is tolerable, but I don't know how much altitude takes out of the Duratec that the timbo may compensate for. I'm in the (relative) flatlands of east Georgia so altitude is certainly not a thing here.

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Jul 19, 2015

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
I've driven CountOfNowhere's Focus, the 1.0 feels pretty much just like driving my old '01 Civic EX. Not fast, but more than enough power for commuting and freeway driving. Bonus points for being stick, so you can just downshift before you give it the gas so you don't have to wait as long for the turbo to spool (not that it takes much to spool such a tiny turbo- I couldn't feel any significant lag).

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Friar Zucchini posted:

Oh now altitude may be the key. Word is the Focus 1.0 is gutless when the 2.0 NA is tolerable, but I don't know how much altitude takes out of the Duratec that the timbo may compensate for. I'm in the (relative) flatlands of east Georgia so altitude is certainly not a thing here.

I had a DCT Duratec Focus as a loaner for a week or so and couldn't wait to get back to the 1.0. The Duratec was most certainly faster when you run it out, but it wasn't effortless around town like the 1.0 is once the turbo spools.

Plus you get the "character" of running over 20 psi without breaking any laws whatsoever :-D

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
That 1.0 turbo dynos a solid 150whp bone stock. I've been tempted to pick up a base Fiesta as a commuter beater.

si
Apr 26, 2004
Brendan Reeves just finished NEFR 5th overall in a 1ltr Fiesta R2 - less than 1 minute total behind a 2.5L open class STI. Horsepower sells cars, and all that.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(
I just picked this up! Not as cool as lot of the stuff in here, but I am Fairly Amped. I drove it ~200 miles home yesterday and it's tight

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

grahm posted:

I just picked this up! Not as cool as lot of the stuff in here, but I am Fairly Amped. I drove it ~200 miles home yesterday and it's tight

Nice, GT package? '08.5? If so that's a twin to the one I had, congrats!

grahm
Oct 17, 2005

Tremek posted:

Nice, GT package? '08.5? If so that's a twin to the one I had, congrats!

Not GT unfortunately. I didn't realize I'd be missing the sunroof and better lights, but otherwise I'm ok with it since I got a great deal. I'm telling myself that since I don't have GT maybe there are less things to break / have to repair? Idk. Love the car so far though

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

grahm posted:

Not GT unfortunately. I didn't realize I'd be missing the sunroof and better lights, but otherwise I'm ok with it since I got a great deal. I'm telling myself that since I don't have GT maybe there are less things to break / have to repair? Idk. Love the car so far though

If it's an 08.5, the GT gets HIDs, Bose speakers, and alcantara seats, but no sunroof.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005

MetaJew posted:

If it's an 08.5, the GT gets HIDs, Bose speakers, and alcantara seats, but no sunroof.

Oh that makes me feel a little better. All of that would be nice, but the main thing I'd love is a sunroof. A quick internet search reveals that no Gen 1 MS3s have sunroofs. Good 2 know

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Lost the ugly 19's, washed. Pilot super sports are the business.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

I'm not a BWM guy but that's clean and looks fun. Nice.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Finally got this delivered from Iowa. If anyone else is interested in another land yacht thread, the last one got archived recently, I'll get it going.

The exterior is in terrific shape for being almost forty years old. According the the seller, it was owned by the same guy until he died last year and definitely in a garage most of that time. There's a bunch of receipts from the same shop all the way from the late 70's to the late 90's with the same guy's name, so that's probably legit. Wish he was still alive, he's got to have a few good stories after driving the same car most of his life.

Apparently the front area around the headlights was repainted recently, that space is usually destroyed by road debris and bugs over the years.

The green stripe down the side was painted on by the guy that bought it from the estate sale after he was pulling off some extra trim and it took the paint with it. Guess he liked the green interior.

70's buddies!

Twenty foot long buddies!

Headlight vacuum system works fine.

This interior is amazing. I need to get a good picture in the right light, the green is a really good dark color, unlike the bright green in the Hornet.

Belt on the 8 track broke, but everything else seems to be working fine. Only things so far are the power door locks making noise without functioning and the power antenna doing the same thing.

All the PO's stuff is still in it, including some sweet mixtapes he made on 8 track. There's also a bunch of paperwork for a '65 Merc, so I guess the car he had before this one was a '65 and he got this right before they downsized everything in '79.

Oh man and the engine, it looks practically new. I've never seen such an old car with such a clean engine outside of show cars. It's ridiculous. I'll get some photos tomorrow, if I have a chance. Forgot to take them today after I washed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Man that looks comfortable. Wallowing across America in that