Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

I finally did it. I have more than two skills on all of my Tiger II crew (half carried over from the loltraktor beginners), BiA of course. Am I no longer a pubbie scrublord?

Not counting, of course, playing AP only in arty because gently caress arty, I can't take it seriously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Southern Dandy
Jun 15, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT MY RADLEY-WALTERS' MEDAL

Is that medal for being the most intolerable poster in a thread about Warhammer 40.000 novels? Because if it is, you sure blew the competition out of the water, son.

Mesadoram posted:

I salute your ability to use arty. I play them when I think to myself: "Eh, I did pretty good in other tanks today. Guess I can sink my WN8 with an arty game."

That 261 game I had yesterday was a fluke, hit two blind shots (one of which was a full damage pen kill) and the RNG gods smiled on my other shots. But most of the time I miss and think why the gently caress am I doing this to myself.

I don't know what they need to do to arty to fix them, but they need to do something to make them a little more fun to play.

The 261 is so good for random games. The Conk is good for clam wars, when your team can hold the other team in place for you to drop monster damage on them, but it's too slow for the chaos of pub matches.

AP shells from the 261 owns bones.

If you understand what your arty can do, in terms of ramming and shotgunning, you can be unstoppable with a good team to support you. The same can be said for any class of tank of course, but arty can change a game in two shots. That's why I love it. It can also fail horribly, with or without proper support. It suits my bipolar nature.

[e]: For instance, double the damage that you did in the 261, and that's my best game ever in 3.5 years of playing this game.

The Southern Dandy fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jul 17, 2015

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

The Southern Dandy posted:

[e]: For instance, double the damage that you did in the 261, and that's my best game ever in 3.5 years of playing this game.

gently caress man. I refuse to use AP shells in the 261, too many missed shots. I can only crack So many keyboards in a month. It is really the most infuriating thing missing in arty, it is the bulleted #1 reason why I don't like arty. Feels like RNG has way too much control over whether you hit or not.

The Southern Dandy
Jun 15, 2010

Is that medal for being the most intolerable poster in a thread about Warhammer 40.000 novels? Because if it is, you sure blew the competition out of the water, son.

Mesadoram posted:

gently caress man. I refuse to use AP shells in the 261, too many missed shots. I can only crack So many keyboards in a month. It is really the most infuriating thing missing in arty, it is the bulleted #1 reason why I don't like arty. Feels like RNG has way too much control over whether you hit or not.

Load up like 3 AP rounds in that thing, granted it's random as gently caress, but when you hit a Jagzilla on the hoof for 1500, nothing can wipe away the smile off your face.

[e]: Also, this is why I chuckle when people bitch about arty. It's an RNG dice roll if you get hit or not. One tries, certainly, and one wins, but one loses also.

The Southern Dandy fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jul 17, 2015

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Forget misses, the absolute worst thing about AP in the 261 is when you hit and all it does is track the guy. :suicide:

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Miss in arty and what are the consequences? You get to wank your dick for 40 seconds before you can do it again. It's not fun but its not like you are sticking your dick out on the line.

All arty should be french arty.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

BadLlama posted:

Miss in arty and what are the consequences? You get to wank your dick for 40 seconds before you can do it again. It's not fun but its not like you are sticking your dick out on the line.

It is 40-60 seconds of watching your shitlord teammates get rear end blasted because you could not smack the enemy on their nose.

Every missed shot feels like one more step closer to losing the game for your team.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Load up like 3 AP rounds in that thing, granted it's random as gently caress, but when you hit a Jagzilla on the hoof for 1500, nothing can wipe away the smile off your face.

I put an AP round through the front of a Maus as it created the hill on Lakeville, it hit for about 4x the last 3 rounds I had hit the Maus with. The one and only time I enjoyed the O261.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Mesadoram posted:

It is 40-60 seconds of watching your shitlord teammates get rear end blasted because you could not smack the enemy on their nose.

Every missed shot feels like one more step closer to losing the game for your team.

Sometimes you can't avoid watching your shitlord teammates get rear end blasted even when you hit every shot.

Descar
Apr 19, 2010

McGavin posted:

Sometimes you can't avoid watching your shitlord teammates get rear end blasted even when you hit every shot.

hahaha, this.. its so hopeless to play arty solo.. and you cant give any advice whatsoever, and asking People to wait for Your reload is pointless...

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

don't play arty solo. don't play arty at all.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Control Volume posted:

don't play arty solo. don't play arty at all.

World of Tanks: Don't Play Arty At All

The Southern Dandy
Jun 15, 2010

Mesadoram posted:

World of Tanks: Don't Play Arty At All

World of Tanks: Go with the Hivemind. Leave me to be awesome.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

World of Tanks: Go with the Hivemind. Leave me to be awesome.

World of Tanks: Only Dandy Plays Arty

I really don't have a problem with arty :colbert:. It is just a test of frustration.

The Southern Dandy
Jun 15, 2010

Mesadoram posted:

World of Tanks: Only Dandy Plays Arty

I really don't have a problem with arty :colbert:. It is just a test of frustration.

Work at a white-shoe law firm. Frustration becomes zen in that regard.

Oh you don't like waiting 30 seconds for a shot? Try waiting 5 years for a significant raise.

The Southern Dandy fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jul 17, 2015

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Work at a white-shoe law firm. Frustration becomes zen in that regard.

Oh you don't like waiting 30 seconds for a shot? Try waiting 5 years for a significant raise.

Don't worry, I work in the education field. I am used to being hosed over.

Also need to deal with snotty, lovely children. At least I've been blessed with dry sarcasm and a devilish grin.

The Southern Dandy
Jun 15, 2010

Mesadoram posted:

Don't worry, I work in the education field. I am used to being hosed over.

Also need to deal with snotty, lovely children. At least I've been blessed with dry sarcasm and a devilish grin.

I'm also used to dealing with snotty, lovely children (aka "partners")

I love your sass, tbh.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

BadLlama posted:

French arty used to be great. I remember playing my tier 6 Lorraine all the time, then the bumped it up a tier, halved the ROF, and nerfed the accuracy. Now I can fire twice a minute and hit for 200 damage, maybe, if I hit (I won't).

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

I love your sass, tbh.

I appreciate that :unsmith:.

When my girlfriend is not yelling at me to stop playing tanks we should do M53 platoons and piss off the unwashed pubbie masses.

Edit: While drinking heavily.

The Southern Dandy
Jun 15, 2010

Mesadoram posted:

When my girlfriend is not yelling at me to stop playing tanks we should do M53 platoons and piss off the unwashed pubbie masses.

I endorse this post.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

You are both horrible people.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
I got on my sheriff one time and did a triple conc GC platoon.

Things would get spotted and just instantly wiped out.

The Southern Dandy
Jun 15, 2010

BadLlama posted:

You are both horrible people.

I prefer the term "decent," tyvm.

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

to Accursed 2 leave armour
the solution is and always has been to make arty matches a toggle like encounter and assault. If everyone complaining was wrong and players come crawling back to regular matches they can remove it like they did confrontation mode.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
They won't do it because they know a lot of people would turn arty off and those with arty will throw a giant poo poo fit for super loong wait times for matches. But to be fair I don't mind having 2 arty per side games, when it's 3 or more is where it gets stupid.

Agrajag fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jul 17, 2015

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
Artillery never brings a net-positive impact on games. It can only negatively impact the net fun of a match.

Games with 0 artillery have no negative impact from artillery. If people are camping, A) arti wasn't going to be the dealbreaker there, and B) it's far, FAR easier to dig out camping TDs when you can use cover from them without having to worry about being oneshot from the sky.

Games with 1 or 2 artillery take a moderate amount of negative impact. You need to worry about whether the sky hammer will choose to focus on you, or if they'll get their lucky hits, but whatever. You die sometimes but maybe the arti misses or focuses on the wrong player or whatever. Also sometimes the maps have artillery cover!

Games with 3+ arti are jokes. If one team's RNG is better, that team will win and there isn't a whole lot to be done to change that. Fun!

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Mesadoram posted:

I generally stop playing this game for months at a time for reasons of wife and also sanity, but I could see myself ending that retirement on occasion just to make that triple M53 platoons.

The Southern Dandy
Jun 15, 2010

Hellsau posted:

Artillery never brings a net-positive impact on games. It can only negatively impact the net fun of a match.

Games with 0 artillery have no negative impact from artillery. If people are camping, A) arti wasn't going to be the dealbreaker there, and B) it's far, FAR easier to dig out camping TDs when you can use cover from them without having to worry about being oneshot from the sky.

Games with 1 or 2 artillery take a moderate amount of negative impact. You need to worry about whether the sky hammer will choose to focus on you, or if they'll get their lucky hits, but whatever. You die sometimes but maybe the arti misses or focuses on the wrong player or whatever. Also sometimes the maps have artillery cover!

Games with 3+ arti are jokes. If one team's RNG is better, that team will win and there isn't a whole lot to be done to change that. Fun!

This guy has zero memory of being sky helped.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

This guy has zero memory of being sky helped.

Being sky helped is one side of the coin. The other side is oh hey your tank exploded. Or oh hey your team melted.

When the best case for arty making a real impact is that it makes the game less tight and interesting, that's not a good mechanic.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart
Well, I finally bought my Maus. After buying it, loading ammo, adding equipment, adding consumables, retraining the crew, and adding camo, I now have 145,000 credits.

Time to run the Churchill III again.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Hey PBKAC goons. Thank you for taking Knispel/Bilbothehobbit away from the rest of the server, somewhere he can't do any lasting harm. Maybe you'll be able to train him into being a good teammate.

Have y'all seen him sending out team battle invites while you're short on people for clan wars yet?

DonkeyHotay
Jun 6, 2005

well wargaming is loving bad at everything and buffed the conq from 'my least favorite tier 9 possibly ever' to 'probably as good as the 4502b'

these were the only 2 games i've played today, BTW.

Jack_tripper
Jun 7, 2009

DonkeyHotay posted:

well wargaming is loving bad at everything

wg is pretty good at giving out poo poo, just got 5k gold + some prem for some dumb contest; primelaw got it too

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Conq was sweet as gently caress even before the patch tyvm

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

DonkeyHotay posted:

well wargaming is loving bad at everything and buffed the conq from 'my least favorite tier 9 possibly ever' to 'probably as good as the 4502b'

Yeah the armor on the Conq is kind of bananas, which combined with the adequate mobility and great gun makes for a great tank. Shame about the artillery oneshots.

Does anyone have images of the new Conqueror armor with angles taken into account? I've been bouncing tons of poo poo off my Conq, but the only time I needed to pen an enemy Conq I just shot the roof with Obj416 HEAT. I'm worried I won't know where to aim if I come up against it in a tank that can't just load autopen shells.

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
This makes me sad I've already finished my conq grind.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

DonkeyHotay posted:

these were the only 2 games i've played today, BTW.

I'm actually considering buying mine back. It was my second tier nine and I did pretty poorly in it, though the M103 recently was everything I wanted the conqueror to be. With a better turret than the 103 it is very, very tempting.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Hellsau posted:

Hey PBKAC goons. Thank you for taking Knispel/Bilbothehobbit away from the rest of the server, somewhere he can't do any lasting harm. Maybe you'll be able to train him into being a good teammate.

Have y'all seen him sending out team battle invites while you're short on people for clan wars yet?

Bilbo won't shut up about some ping reducing thing.

Also, you are 100% right about arty.

M.C. McMic
Nov 8, 2008

The Weight room
Is your friend
I'm liking the T20. Can't wait until my crew and loadout aren't poo poo. I still need to unlock the top engine and buy some coated optics (opted for a vertical stabilizer first).

Once I get some optics and a decent camo crew, I feel like I'm going to like the tank even more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Southern Dandy
Jun 15, 2010

xthetenth posted:

Being sky helped is one side of the coin. The other side is oh hey your tank exploded. Or oh hey your team melted.

When the best case for arty making a real impact is that it makes the game less tight and interesting, that's not a good mechanic.

I'll say this one last time. Think in three dimensions. If you can't do that, well good luck.